Start by marking “Protecting What's Mine” as Want to Read:
Protecting What's Mine

Protecting What's Mine

If you can’t stand the heat, don’t fall for a firefighter…
Fire Chief Lincoln Reed is known for his heroics in the fire department and in the bedroom. Life is a never-ending good time. Until she lands in the middle of the accident scene he’s working…and then his backyard. Too bad she’s immune to flirty first responders.

Flight trauma surgeon Mackenzie O’Neil is on a
Kindle Edition
Published January 16th 2020 by That's What She Said Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Protecting What's Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Protecting What's Mine

Start your review of Protecting What's Mine
Somia
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fire Chief Lincoln Reed is well known and liked for for his heroics in the fire department and the smile he has left on the faces if women he has dated, but now his feeling the itch to settle down and when he meets flight trauma surgeon Mackenzie (Mack) O’Neil he finds himself unable to keep away and determined to get through the barriers she has up.

A really enjoyable read, the banter between Linc and Mack had me smiling a fair bit. I liked the fact that Mack wasn't positioned as some sort of
Joyce
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 shooting stars!
From the first heart pounding chapter to the last sweet words, this book captured my attention, and my heart. When Fire Chief Lincoln Reed first sees Doctor Mackenzie O’Neill step off a helicopter at a horrific crash scene he is smitten, and so was I! Chief Sexy Pants and Doc Dreamy are two of my favorite characters ever. They are both smart, complicated, strong, confident, scarred, and vulnerable. They both know what they want, but will they end up wanting the same thing?
V Meade
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Linc and Mack....Dr. Dreamy and Chief Sexy Pants. In my opinion, out of all Ms. Scores series, Benelovence would be my dream place. To go back to Benelovence and see Harper and Luke, Aldo and Gloria, Ty and Sopie and all the kids! So while I loved catching up on everyone the adrenaline and emotion that come with Linc and Mack is swoon worthy. Both have careers where life and death is in their hands each and every day. Linc and Mack both deal with feeling inadequate for the love of another. Throw ...more
Nicole Adams
Confident Hot Firefighter - Check
Mysterious New Doctor in town - Check
Adorable scene stealing dog - Check
All your past Benevolence favourites - Check
A Linc & Luke fist fight - Check
Unexpected danger- Check
Well delivered HEA - CHECK, CHECK, CHECK!!!

Lucy Score has put all of this into this book and so much more. The highly anticipated 3rd visit to Benevolence definitely delivers and stands on its own with the previous two instalments. This can be read as a stand-alone however if, like me,
Ivy Deluca
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
description
Lucy Score has moved up into my top 5 comfort read authors. If I want a romance covers the Hs - humor, heat and heart - Ms. Score usually has me covered. Now I’d read the first book in the series, Pretend You’re Mine, which I struggled with, but Lincoln Reed was one of those characters that I wanted to know more about, so when I heard he was getting his own HEA, I said sign me up. I’m happy I did, because it was a happy escape of a read.

Lincoln and Mack, two first responders (he’s a firefighter
NovelMomma
Shelves: arc
If you are looking for a book that makes you feel from beginning to end, this is the book for you. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not over the top angsty, but it is the perfect combination of community, love, everyday heroes, and overcoming adversity. Mix that with a dirty talking firefighter and an elusive trauma surgeon, and you have perfection.

With each and every book Lucy releases, I feel like I’ve found a new favorite, but this book definitely earns a spot in my top five favorites! It is one I
CzekMart
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“This is the flirtation leading up to the first date,” he explained. “A Lincoln Reed First Date isn’t a spontaneous run-in. A Lincoln Reed First Date is a carefully curated experience designed for maximum enjoyment.”
In this third, and final, trip to Benevolence, we journey with Fire Chief Lincoln Read and his love match, Dr. Mackenzie O’Neil on their way to HEA. In a true Lucy Score fashion, their road is paved with hilarious banter, nosy family and community members, ALL the feels, steam and
Maryanne DeWitt
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"No One Likes a Beautiful Asshole"

And with those sarcastic words, Dr. Mack O'Neil cemented herself in my book loving heart. Linc had long ago cemented himself in my heart - every time Lucy mentioned a new book, I would sit quivering like I imagine Sunshine did for a treat to see who it would be about. I can't even begin to tell you how I excited I was that she wrote Linc's story! I just knew there was more to the happy go lucky, super flirty fireman than met the eye. Spoiler alert - I was
Johnaka- Amity Book Blog
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Two peas in a pod, 5 stars”

I love Score’s writing, its full of laughter and wit with some serious undertones. I fell into Protecting What’s Mine easily and sighed in pleasure once I finished. By all accounts Mack and Lincoln shouldn’t work, but they do. And let me tell you, it’s so much fun watching them fall.

Mack is at the worst kind of crossroads she could find herself at. She’s facing burnout like no other and for anyone in her profession that’s not acceptable. Mack decides to slow down and
Cheryl
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing

PERFECT MATCH Loved the chemistry between Linc and Mac. Lots of humor in spite of all the serious issues. The twists and turns were unexpected and written into the story so well. However, the best part was sweet Sunshine. What a sweetheart! Another great story by Lucy with all the feels. I received this ARC for an honest review.
Bibliophagist
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lincoln Reed is a town hero and all around good guy. He's the fire chief, affectionately known as Chief Sexy Pants. He's typically out for a good time. He has his reasons for not settling down.

Mack is a flight trauma surgeon. She recently got out of the military when she started to have issues with PTSD. She has taken a temporary assignment filling in for a family practice doctor in a small town. She also works as a flight doctor on the helicopter once a week to fulfill her need for an
Ann
5 stars! Loved it, loved it loved it. :D Lucy Score you were there when I needed you most with this heart grabbing book that will go on my favorites list. I'm in the middle of a handfull of books I can't quite slog through. I dropped those babies like a hot potato when this book released and I was gratefully rescued from book boredom with an absolute gem. Hallelujah!!! LS, you knocked it outta the park.

I was crazy about badass Mack but I am totally in love with Lincoln Reed. And oh that sweet
Lofty
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Linc meets dr dreamy
(Mack/Mackenzie) when they both attend an road traffic accident. She's taken a temporary job at the clinic hoping to improve her people skills. He's the chief fire officer & is instantly hooked on her.
I loved Linc & sunshine, I laughed so much at his antics.
I definitely recommend reading this book
Christie Beeker
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has everything! I love books that let me re-visit old characters who accept and love someone new! I loved being able to see inside the life of first responders and appreciate all they do for us. Thank you Lucy for another great book!
READ ME ROMANCE
Shelves: finished
Revisiting Benevolence, MD, is such a joy for me because Pretend Your Mine was my first Lucy book and all-time favorite. While Protecting What’s Mine is a stand-alone, if you have the opportunity, I encourage you to also read Pretend You’re Mine and Finally Mine as it will give you some background on the lovable quirky townsfolk who bring it to life.

Fire Chief Lincoln Reed aka “Chief Sexy Pants” is a bit full of himself–confident and strong with a sweet gooey center. An everyday real-life hero,
Amy Jackson
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ohhhh this book is EVERYTHING. If you have read Lucy’s books set in Benevolence then you are in for a treat. Even if you haven’t? You still are because this can be read as a stand alone. Having read the others it made it richer to revisit some of our old friends. Lucy has been teasing readers in her Facebook group about Benevolence Fire Chief Lincoln Reed aka Chief Sexy Pants for awhile now. So many of my favorite book boyfriends come from Lucy Score books but I think Linc just left them all in ...more
Jodi
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
SW DOUBLE OO to the NNNNNNNNN. Holy hot dogs are Doc Dreamy and Chief Sexy Pants H.O.T. Like as in Benevolence FD is prob going to have to sound a four alarm fire bell and call in backup from surrounding towns to put out the inferno roaring between these too. Oh, and that scene-stealer, Sunshine the pup? If I didn't already have a dog that peed on the floor whenever she gets too excited, I'd totally be running to the nearest shelter to pick myself up a little golden fur ball.

But seriously, Lucy
Lona Mccombie
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Going back to one of my favorite “imaginary” places….Benevolence! This is where I first fell “back” in love with reading with Pretend You’re Mine. That book also has one of my all-time favorite scenes from the cooler in the grocery store that features our very own hero from this book “Lincoln Reed…aka now, Chief Sexy Pants”.

I knew back then when I first read PYM that I needed to know Linc’s story and Lucy hit a home run with Protecting What’s Mine! Not only do you get to revisit the town and the
Bre
Lincoln & Mackenzie
Linc & Mac
Hotshot & Dreamy

My favorite fictional couple of all time, and officially my favorite Lucy Score book to date! If you haven't been to Benevolence yet, it's time to take the ride of your life.

Welcome to Benevolence, Maryland. Small town life is at its finest here, and trauma flight surgeon Dr. Mackenzie O'Neil is about to find that out.

After experiencing quite the burnout Mack is ready for a change of pace in order to get herself sorted out, so she takes a
BookishStacy
Shelves: arc
Every single time I think Lucy Score can't possible give me a hero that makes me swoon harder than the previous one, she ups her game and proves me wrong. She's done that once again with Linc. Chief Sexy Pants was hotter than hot and sweeter than sweet. The love of his town, his fellow firefighters and his dog, Sunshine were enough to give me huge heart eyes and then Mack is introduced to the story and with their interaction, I was a goner. He's pretty much the perfect book boyfriend. I loved ...more
Shanna Larson
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hot Tamale!

I have been sitting on my feelings for almost a week after finishing this book because I was overcome with feelings and no words. Seriously, I just sighed like the lady in the swoon GIF, you know, the one who then promptly falls on the floor in the long version? That's how I felt.

First, this book is interconnected with Pretend You're Mine and Finally Mine, though it can be read as a standalone without issue.

Second, Being back in Benevolence made my heart happy! I really do wish it was
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
I absolutely loved this book! Lucy Score is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. I fell in love with her writing style while reading Rock Bottom Girl. This book reminded me of how much I love Ms. Score's writing style and character development.

Linc and Mack have such an instant connection that you have to keep reading in order to see how their story plays out. They balance each other beautifully and I was completely enamored by their story.

I now must read Pretend Your Mine and Finally
Sandra
What a fantastic read this newest book by Lucy Score was!! Protecting What’s Mine had amazing characters, a storyline that had me completely transfixed and the best dog ever!

I first have to say I love firefighters and in light with what is happening in Australia right now, I love them all the more. Right from the very beginning we know the type of man Fire Chief Lincoln Reed is. Without thought or hesitation, he jumps right into a horrific traffic accident and saves lives. And it is here that
Heather
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sexy, swoony fire Chief Lincoln Reed aka Chief Sexy Pants is so much more than just the towns serial flirt and ladies man. Underneath his charming, confident exterior is a huge heart just waiting to be loved. Trauma surgeon Dr. Mackenzie O'Neil aka Dr. Dreamy is the strong, independent and mysterious new doctor in town. She has a plan to recharge and get her life back on track and is determined to hide the shadows of her past.

Linc and Mack are perfect for each other, but the scars of the past
Gina
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. I was totally invested from the first few pages.
Linc and Mack were really likeable characters.
I loved the banter and the sizzling chemistry between them.
Funny, pretty fast paced and a great story.
Looking forward to reading more in the series.
Brianne Maffett
Reviewed for A Book Nerd, a Bookseller and a Bibliophile

Deanna
Back to Benevolence we go! I have been waiting for Lincoln Reed to finally get his HEA, and did he ever!

Linc (Chief Sexy Pants) and Mack (Dr. Mc Dreamy) meet at an accident scene. Fire Chief Linc is a ladies man. He will never settle down with one lady. Mackenzie is a flight trauma surgeon trying to slow down and not get burned out. She comes to Benevolence to just try to have a change of pace. Bring on the STEAM! When these two meet, there is no fire hose big enough to stop the flames from
Kelly
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Small town romance

Protecting What’s Mine is a small town romance featuring Lincoln Reed, the local “ Hotshot “ Fire Chief, and Mackenzie “ Dreamy “ O’Neill, the new to town family physician.

Linc has a reputation as a ladies man, but really he’s just been waiting for that special person to show up in his life. He’s the favourite Uncle, a great workmate and friend, and he’s a very popular local within his small town community.

Mack is new to the small town life, she’s been working hard, too hard,
Cece
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The town of Benevolence, MD has a new doc in town and she has Linc "my first, middle, and last name is flirt" Reed all kinds of tongue tied. Mack is a trauma surgeon who finds herself at a cross roads smack dab in Chief Sexy Pants back yard. From the very first tumultuous chapter I was invested in this story.

If you've read the first 2 stand alone books in this series, Pretend Your Mine and Finally Mine, then you have met Linc and like me, have wondered where his playboy ways have taken him. I
Xerxia
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5. First, this is not tagged as a part of a series in the title or the blurb, but if you haven’t read the other two books in this universe, you’re going to be lost. I *did* read one of those books and was still in many sections utterly lost.

Conservatively, there are about fifty named characters in this book, and about 250 pages more than there needed to be. Not that the author is ever going to read this note, but if she did I would say to her, “Lucy, for the love of all that is holy, get

• Love According to Science (Dirty Martini Running Club #2)
  • Boss Man Bridegroom
  • Wild Open Hearts (Bluewater Billionaires)
  • Crazy for Loving You (Bluewater Billionaires)
  • Humbugged (Happy Cat, #4)
  • Marrying My Billionaire Boss
  • Rough Love (Tannen Boys #1)
  • The Mogul and the Muscle (Bluewater Billionaires)
  • Bad Alibi (Redemption #1)
  • Accidental Shield (Marriage Mistake, #6)
  • The Dare
  • The Virgin Gift
  • The Arrival of You (Mile High #2)
  • More than Friends
  • Insatiable (Cloverleigh Farms, #3)
  • Warrior Blue
  • Trouble (Dogwood Lane, #3)
  • Trying to Score (Hot Jocks, #3)
Lucy is a Wall Street Journal and #1 Amazon Kindle Store bestseller of romantic comedies and contemporary romance. She grew up in rural Pennsylvania with a lot of time on her hands and a big imagination. She was the oldest of three in a book-obsessed household. Dinners were often spent in silence while family members had their noses buried in books. A passion for writing took hold at five when she ...more