Start by marking “What We Need to Do Now: For a Zero Carbon Future” as Want to Read:
What We Need to Do Now: For a Zero Carbon Future

What We Need to Do Now: For a Zero Carbon Future

The UK has declared a 'climate emergency' and pledged to become carbon neutral by 2050. So how do we get there? Drawing on actions, policies and technologies already emerging around the world, Chris Goodall sets out the ways to achieve this. His proposals include:

-Building a huge over-capacity of wind and solar energy, storing the excess as hydrogen.
-Using hydrogen to fu

Published February 6th 2020 by Profile Books

To ask other readers questions about What We Need to Do Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What We Need to Do Now

Start your review of What We Need to Do Now: For a Zero Carbon Future
Lauren James
Very informative and optimistically written, but truely horrendously copyedited. I found spelling and grammar mistakes on almost every page?!
Venky
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
In an eminently readable, superbly researched and extraordinarily crisp book, businessman, author, and climate change expert, Chris Goodall sets out a range of what he terms are urgent measures which Britain has to adopt, if it has to cut its Carbon emissions down to zero. Currently, the UK Government on Climate Change has identified a rather bleak scenario, whereby, the year 2050 would see only about 60& of all electricity being generated from renewables. The remaining gas generation, as Mr. Go ...more
Ashleigh Kirs
Feb 04, 2021 rated it liked it
So many spelling errors
Corina Murafa
Oct 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Not so many solid arguments here and there (e.g.: the bioengineering chapter) but all in all a pleasant to read book. Caution: it is only UK-focused.
Adrian Hon
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Comprehensive, concise, and hopeful.
Greenleaf
May 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Far too much pie in the sky thinking and fails to look at the issues in a holistic fashion. Also predictably and disappointingly anti nuclear.
Oliver Jones
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sick book. It tells you so much about climate change (and so much that I honestly never knew), but never gives you too much detail. It’s real, it doesn’t ‘bible bash’ and gives a holistic view of the changes that will, and need to be, put in place over the next 5-30 years.

No doubt I’ll be going on and on about this stuff for weeks now. Also, I’m gunna buy an electric car.

Loved. It.
Anneke
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a mix of easily accessible numbers, uplifting examples and realistic tips on how to deal with climate change in a rich country
Popup-ch
May 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, non-fiction, kindle
A short book outlining how UK could move to a carbon-neutral future.

Most of the suggestions are reasonable (improve insulation, electrify transportation, build large offshore wind farms), and some are well reasoned (he argues convincingly for a $100/ton CO2 tax), but some are less so. He seems to have drunk the cool-aid of Hydrogen as a miracle storage solution for electricity, without asking any uncomfortable questions. Storing hydrogen is neither easy nor efficient with current technology.

He a
Zohaib Rana
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book presents some interesting ideas about how one as an individual can lower his or her carbon footprint. Using Statistics, this book also makes proposals to the government in England to switch to a carbon zero future. Clearly, it becomes very easy to imagine a future using sustainable technologies after reading this book.
anna
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really really recommend reading this!! Detailed explanations into how we can get (near) to zero carbon dioxide emissions but still more that needs to be covered. Specific for the UK so further reading needed to see what can be done on a global scale.
Alexander Bardashev
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Universal rules for better future

Proposals you'll find in this book are mostly universal (that is, not only applicable to UK). We should prioritise global warming over other problems and this book should be a guideline for both governments and individuals
Tash Evans
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book
Mr Gavin C O'Shea Hand Portage
Clear and concise. Informative and inspiring.

Offers a great overview of the main problems and probable solutions in the most confusing, overwhelming and urgent subject of our time.
Thomas
Apr 08, 2021 rated it liked it
Informative and admirably succinct, though non experts will likely find it a bit dense.
Oli
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A call to policy action which is well explained, well evidenced and well argued
Jamie

• The Future We Choose: Surviving the Climate Crisis
  • TRANSFORMING SYSTEMS; Why the World Needs a New Ethical Toolkit
  • Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Technology vs. Humanity: The coming clash between man and machine (FutureScapes)
  • The Overstory
  • The Way We Eat Now
  • هل فعلها؟ / ليبوريلا
  • Wilding
  • English Pastoral: An Inheritance
  • Police (Harry Hole, #10)
  • How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
  • Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist
  • Brit(ish): On Race, Identity and Belonging
  • Bringing Back the Beaver: The Story of One Man's Quest to Rewild Britain's Waterways
  • Out of the Wreckage: A New Politics in the Age of Crisis