Start by marking “Murder in the Mews” as Want to Read:
Murder in the Mews

Murder in the Mews

(Hercule Poirot Mysteries #18)

How did a woman holding a pistol in her right hand manage to shoot herself in the left temple? What was the link between a ghost sighting and the disappearance of top secert military plans? How did the bullet that killed Sir Gervase shatter a mirror in another part of the room? And who destroyed the `eternal triangle' of love involving renowned beauty, Valentine Chantry?

Published February 1984 by Berkley Books (first published March 15th 1937)

Start your review of Murder in the Mews
Ahmad Sharabiani
Murder in the Mews (Hercule Poirot, #18) = Dead Man's Mirror, Agatha Christie
Murder in the Mews and Other Stories is a short story collection written by Agatha Christie and first published in the UK by Collins Crime Club on 15 March 1937. Murder in the Mews; The Incredible Theft; Dead Man's Mirror; Triangle at Rhodes.

عنوانها: جنایت در مجتمع مسکونی؛ جنایت در شب آتش بازی؛ آینه مردان مرده؛ نویسنده: آگاتا کریستی؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش ماه سپتامبر سال 2011 میلادی
عنوان: جنایت در شب آتش بازی؛ نویسنده:
Adrian
Ok this book comprises four novellas, so its probably fair that I mark them as I read.

Murder in the Mews 4.5
A great short story that commences on Guy Fawkes night amidst the fireworks exploding, so ideal for murder. And who did it and why ? Poirot and Japp go (metaphorically) hand in hand to solve this complex killing.

The Incredible Theft 3.5
Who was the person seen skulking around the terrace ? How did they know to steal the plans in that short space of time ? Poirot interviews all the people
Evgeny
The anthology consists of 4 novellas.

Murder in the Mews.
Remember, remember!
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes
Who could have thought that hipster Agatha Christie would use these lines before Alan Moore made them cool in V for Vendetta? I certainly was not expecting this. In any way during the celebration of Guy Fawkes night a suicide of a young woman occurred. Only there were too many suspicious
Jason Koivu
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That odd, little foreigner with the strange mustache description Hercule Poirot is at it again!

In Murder in the Mews, a collection of shorts, Poirot's razor-sharp mind is pitted against such stumpers as a suicide/murder conundrum, a deadly love triangle, and a case of important papers gone missing.

Originally four short stories were published under this title, which was called Dead Man's Mirror here in the States. My version only included three stories: Murder in the Mews, Triangle at Rhodes, and The
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
I love the adventures of Poirot. He is the best character of Agatha Christie. This was a wonderful story. I couldn't put the book down. Loved it and highly recommend it, personally finished it in two hours.
Vikas Singh
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book
What makes this collection a good read are the two stories. The first Incredible theft is expanded version of Christie's original story- The Submarine plans. The second story Dead Man's mirror is expanded version of her earlier story- The second Gong. The other two stories in the collection include Murder in the Mews and Triangle at Rhodes. We also get to know that Poirot loves his Sirop de cassis !!!
David Schaafsma
Who am I kidding in writing this review? None (or one?) of my Goodreads friends is going to read this book. 440,000 reviewed And Then There Were None. More than 100K people or more have reviewed Christie’s each most popular Poirot works such as The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Murder on the Orient Express or Death on the Nile. Murder on the Mews is one of the Little Engines that Could of Christie-lore, reviewed by as few as 8,000. It features four stories, three that might qualify as novellas, ...more
Janete
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Agatha Christie's short histories book I've read and I did not like it very much. It's interesting for passing the time, but I prefer the novels with Hercule Poirot than these short stories. I read in my native language and I consider that this book deserves 3.5 stars.
Bruce Beckham
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anticipating a cozy full-length novel, my first reaction was mild dismay – to discover that Murder in the Mews comprises four quick-fire short stories, the first of which provides the eponymous cover title.

However, my disappointment was short-lived – for potted Christie loses little in the telling – and in fact these are arguably novellas, ranging from 10,000 to 30,000 words:

- Murder in the Mews
- The Incredible Theft
- Dead Man’s Mirror
- Triangle at Rhodes

The first three are variations on the ‘
Susan
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Murder in the Mews" was the last book Agatha Christie published in 1937 and consists of four Poirot short stories - although all are quite long by her usual standard, and one really novella length. All feature Poirot, one features his old friend Inspector Japp and another has a guest appearance by Mr Satterthwaite, of the Harley Quin stories and "Three Act Tragedy".

The first title story, "Murder in the Mews" and the third story, "Dead Man's Mirror", both feature a suicide, later suspected of
Jasmine Darcy
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery/AC/thriller lovers.
Recommended to Jasmine by: Brent Libraries
3.75 stars.
Agatha Christie yet again lives up to her title of'the Queen Of Crime'.Murder in the Mews is a collection of four mystifying and mind boggling cases taken up by professional sleuth and well-known Hercule Poirot. I honestly went into this one with a 100 percent guarantee of awesomeness. This being the tenth Agatha Christie novel and 8th Poirot I've read so far,you can imagine that by now I've completely given up on guessing who the culprit is,(sort of).As there are four different cases
Susan in NC
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this short story collection, especially the last, Triangle at Rhodes. All four stories featured Hercule Poirot, and typical of Christie the mysteries were satisfying- but this last one, which I’ve seen dramatized with David Suchet as the brilliant Belgian detective, was particularly satisfying.

It kicks right off with the meticulously dressed Poirot sitting among female sunbathers on holiday at Rhodes, listening as his chattering companions pick apart their fellow guests,
D.G.
It's taken me a while to get back to my Poirot series audio re-read but I'm finally back in business. However, this one is not a re-read per se, as I haven't read this particular set of short stories before. When you read a long series out of order like I did with Poirot, you miss a book now and then.

Murder in the Mews is actually the first of 4 short stories in this book. The narrator, Mr. Hawthorne was simply awful - his voice for Poirot was so affected. That fact may have colored my
Leigh
A interesting selection of short stories that had Agatha Christie class and style showing. 3.75 Stars!
Jammin Jenny
I really enjoyed this collection of short stories featuring the famous detective Hercule Poirot. He solves all the mysteries by using his little gray cells. I think my favorite story was Triangle at Rhodes featuring a love triangle - love those love triangles!! Classic Agatha Christie.
Rebecca (areadersrambles)
The audiobook I listened to only consisted of the first of the four shortstories (Murder in the Mews) which was really cleverly done!
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
3.5/5

Overall, a good collection! I like how it's three stories but there were actually four in here. I really enjoyed the first and last ones, tbh. The middle two blended together for me. Still good mysteries and I didn't outright hate any, but just wanted a bit more oomph!
Franci
What a marvelous mystery!!! I couldn't figure it out until the very end!!!
Ken
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable collection of 4 short stories.

I found Dead Man’s Mirror to be the pick of the collection. Murder in the Mews and The Triangle at Rhodes were good. The Incredible Theft being the weakest.
Kirsten McKenzie
Classic Agatha Christie. No waffle, no padding. Action and an abundance of red herrings, with an exceptional twist at the end. No guessing, but complete satisfaction. And her characters! As always, her characters are done to perfection - just enough description, with their dialogue completing the picture.
Four short stories, but so well told, they may as well be complete novels.
C.G.
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A reread for me, but in this combination of several short murder mysteries, you don't have time to get bored with one before Hercule Poirot has solved it and moved on to the next.
Chris
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stories. I gave a 4 to the collection as a whole.

Murder in the Mews—excellent story. An apparent suicide that wasn’t. I don’t want to say more because it would spoil the fun. 4.5 stars.

The Incredible Theft—very minor story. Christie wrote some good spy/espionage stories (eg. They Came to Baghdad) but this is not one of them. 2 stars.

Dead Man's Mirror—Another apparent suicide. It is a challenge for a mystery writer to make a stab at a convincing “impossible crime/locked door” mystery: where
Deepa Swaminathan
“If you are to be Hercule Poirot, you must think of everything.” says Agatha Christie
“If you are to read Agatha Christie, you must not miss anything.” say I.

True to the latter quote, each piece of each short story in this book fitted nicely in proper place like a jigsaw puzzle. Every clue carried importance and every character description enjoyed finesse.
‘Mews’ is a British term that refers to a row of houses. But only the first story deals with a murder at this location. Usually in a book of
Michael
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christie fans, Mystery fans, bored drivers
Recommended to Michael by: serendipity
Does listening to a book while you drive to California count as "reading" it? It's actually the first time I've done that, but I think it worked better in terms of attentiveness than my usual slow reading rate. I've read a few other Agatha Christie books, and seen movies and BBC productions of dozens of them, and this was the first time I was able to figure out the mystery before the ending In fact, I knew pretty much from the moment they found the body what had happened, which is quite ...more
Jack Heath
3 Stars. Three novellas featuring Hercule Poirot: "Murder in the Mews," "The Incredible Theft," and "Triangle at Rhodes." I now know I prefer Christie's longer stories about our detective with the egg-shaped head. While listening, this was an audio recording, I realized that the most enjoyable part for me is the set-up, the dance at the start between the various characters, one of whom is destined not to be with us much longer. The second and third stories met that expectation. But those same ...more
Vignesh Umapathy
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good plot.Brilliant red herrings.
Then comes short Belgian Hercule poirot to perform the magic.
Christie strikes!!!!
Engaging and also for me its the convincing climaxes.
Maija
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tend to prefer Poirot novels to short stories, but I did enjoy these. I think they were just long enough - only four in the collection - to have enough room for mystery & nice details. They had that Poirot TV episode length feel.
Zoey
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her short stories aren’t my favourite, but these were pretty good. Dead man’s mirror was the best.
Laurel Young
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little confused because my edition contained four novellas, not three: Murder in the Mews, Triangle at Rhodes, The Incredible Theft, and Dead Man's Mirror. At any rate, all four are top-notch, classic Poirot cases. The "novella" format always strikes me as a tad awkward, falling somewhere between a story and a novel--I thought that Mews and Theft could have been compressed into short stories, whereas Rhodes and Mirror could have been extended into novels. However, as Dame Agatha rarely ...more
Damaskcat
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of four novellas featuring Hercule Poirot. In the title story - Murder in the Mews - a woman apparently shoots herself in the left temple with the gun in her right hand. Neither the police nor Poirot himself are satisfied with the idea of suicide and they need to try and find out what really happened especially as the young woman who shared the house with the victim seems to be telling less than the truth.

In the second story The Incredible Theft, top secret plans disappear

• Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in

Hercule Poirot Mysteries (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • The Lemesurier Inheritance: A Hercule Poirot Short Story
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
“A statesman in these days has a difficult task. He has to pursue the policy he deems advantageous to his country, but he has at the same time to recognize the force of popular feeling. Popular feeling is very often sentimental, muddleheaded, and eminently unsound, but it cannot be disregarded for all that.” 7 likes
“I think a woman smothered in cheap scent is one of the greatest abominations known to mankind - Lord Mayfield” 7 likes