Start by marking “Homebound” as Want to Read:
Homebound

Homebound

Earth is in decline, and the wealthy have fled it leaving only the destitute citizens behind. And aliens.

Gemma McKinley works at a prison cleaning goop off the floors and serving food to inmates. When she is reassigned to the alien ward, Gemma is nervous. Aliens are dangerous and ruthless. They bite. But there is one that isn’t like them. Simon is damaged, starved, and w
Published January 5th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Homebound, please sign up.
Shani I asked the author this question and she said not anytime soon but she is open to maybe continuing in the future. So we just have to wait and see. Wou…moreI asked the author this question and she said not anytime soon but she is open to maybe continuing in the future. So we just have to wait and see. Would love if there was a follow-up. (less)
BAK Wasn't this frustrating?! I thought the same thing. I was like wait, what? Where's the rest? The epilogue? The notes from author? I noticed the Author…moreWasn't this frustrating?! I thought the same thing. I was like wait, what? Where's the rest? The epilogue? The notes from author? I noticed the Author said she's busy working on some other series on an IG comment, so this follow up isn't happening anytime soon it doesn't sound like. I was frustrated there were no notes from the A and no email or updates newsletter etc. offered to keep track. (less)

Start your review of Homebound
Amanda
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alien-smut, kindle, tw-cw
A gripping action-filled romance that is gutting at times, this dystopian tale has a lot of heart.

✦ If you like longer SFRs with a lot of world building and character development, this is a good story to chew on. If you have a shorter attention span and find anything that isn't immediately romance-adjacent "boring," this likely isn't for you. That's OK, there are plenty out there for you.

TW/CW: this story takes place mostly in a prison and a really grim dystopian Earth. Attempted rapes, beating
Andrea
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one!

If you have KU and like a sci-fi human/alien romance I'd suggest checking this one out. I had a lot of fun reading the budding romance between these two opposites-attract leads.

description
Patricia
Fabulous sci-fi read. I love everything about this story. Although, I did feel it ended quite abruptly and I hope the author has plans to make this a series. Also would have loved to have seen Simon's POV.

Highly recommend to alien romance lovers.
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)

Oh wow, Words cannot describe how much I enjoyed this dystopian sci-fi romance it was that good, phenomenal world-building and a unique storyline really make this one stand out from the crowd.

This story is set on Earth but a very different one than what we would recognise.
It’s set sometime in the future when other alien species and interstellar space-travel are a regular thing.
This future dystopian world is absolutely brutal and our heroine Gemma is a refugee that has fled her prior island home
FlewB'DoobeyDoo
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Okay, anybody else getting some mad The Shape of Water vibes here???

Good giddy God I freaking loved this book.

That romance was soooooo slow to build. You constantly felt pain and panic for our poor h and her situation.

OH-ho-ho I enjoyed every second of this bad boy.

but....

this is the only book by this author...…

and...

I just can't even comprehend.

Listen I'll throw whatever you want your way Hun, so long as you keep stories like this coming our way.

This so hit that spot for Non-Insta, Non-fated ma
Bailey Foster
What can I say about this book that isn't just: "wow."
I don't know. This book was good good good, and had a very unusual hero (even for an alien). But I adored Simon. And Gemma. And Ruby. Everyone else in this book though can fall into a pit of fire and I wouldn't care.

Some parts of this were hard to get through. The Earth is falling apart, and horror, murder, gore, and poverty are vividly described without any restraint. Gemma faces some very tough situations (view spoiler)
ZARIA (Sheldon Cooper lover)

5 Stars....

This was sooooo good...
A bit like The Last Hour of Gann by R. Lee Smith. Great world building and character development. This is not erotica, so don't expect some heavy hanky panky as with the books of Laurann Dohner.
I know that dual point of view is very popular nowdays but i love the fact it was just told from one point of view. I sympathized with H, not knowing what Simon is and what he feels or thinks, his character was just as mystery for me as for her and i like a bit of a puzz
Jessie
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this story, But I didn’t like the heroine. My god, this woman was getting on my last nerve. She had no business being in the story. She lacked any strong qualities. And she was obsessed. my goodness was she obsessed and love cray-cray. I just hope her character wasn’t based on a real person cause that person would not survive in this world. But, I have to admit, it all worked out for the story though. Without her the plot wouldn’t have moved forward. And she balance Simon’s crazy killer ...more
Elle
Feb 25, 2021 rated it it was ok
2-2.5 stars, this was a somewhat interesting, but ultimately disappointing read. I'll start by saying I barely consider this a romance, if you're into sci-fi and don't really care about romance you'll probably enjoy this book a lot more than I did, but from what I was expecting based on the blurb this didn't deliver.

The plot of this novel felt like you're on a boat on a very long, slow, meandering river that has no clear direction or purpose and ultimately your boat never gets to where it's goi
Himantra
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jillian
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT.
I am not one to gush, but holy hell this hit the spot. I was on the hunt for a well written, alien love story and...
description
Perfect.

The writing style really reminded me of Laurann Dohner's New Species series (aka one of my favorite series). I highlighted an aggressive amount of quotes in this book. I just adored it. And my highlights went back and forth from something said to make me laugh, to something said to make me swoon. I mean can we ask for anything more? I think not.

Apparently, I'm
BJ
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
Outstanding story about an alien H and human h. The h is barely surviving in a post apocalyptic world. The H is alien, a prisoner and she works as a cleaner in the prison. She's is kind to him and others, and although he can't understand her, her kindness has woken him from his torpor. This is such a wonderful story, I read it in one sitting, and it's a long book. Yes, he does have alien 'bits' but their loves scenes are just that, lovely. The h is so very, very sweet. ...more
BleuBelle
I loved the story up to around 98% where I learned that this book would not have a satisfying end. It stopped abruptly (although it is a happy end) so that the enjoyment from this story turned to disappointment.
It doesn't have to be true, but for me this feels like the author just stopped writing and caring for the book. For me the ending is the most important part of the story. Without it, all seems so futile.
Carmen
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The ending was abrupt....really abrupt
Ane Vass
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourite, 4-stars
4 stars

I really liked this book.

The story follows Gemma who works in the prison, and Simon, neglected alien prisoner on the verge of dying, until Gemma decides to help him and slowly brings him back to life.

Very slow paced and interesting read. I liked both Gemma and Simon and their growing relationship. The concept of this world was refreshing and different, even though both characters had to face some serious hardships.

Overall I enjoy it and would recommend it to every sci-fi romance lover.
Krista
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Found this recommendation by Ruby Dixon- really good story (almost a 5).

It is gritty and a sad, hard world but I appreciate the lightness and humor our heroine Gemma has and her interactions with Simon. She gets to talk to him in a completely irreverent manner which (of course) takes him by surprise. Slow burn story.

This story is greatly detailed, and practical I might say, considering our heroines' debate to herself about trying to smuggle yogurt into the prison using the body cavities most peo
BAK
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a hidden Gem...ma in SFR!

This was a pure chance read and WOW I’m glad I gave it a try! This was a refreshing read against other STR that have been hitting the market lately. Was a tad on the long side, but it was still enjoyable with minimal skimming.
Some spolierish content to justify rating and give readers more details as the description and info on this A is lacking currently.
Gemma is a prison guard at a human and alien prison. There’s not much back story given as to how humans learned
Mari (Smut Duchess)
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 ⭐

I liked this story quite a bit and will re-read (or parts of it) again. Gemma was raised on The Islands in a comfortable family and planned to be a dancer. Natural and man made disasters ruined the Islands. An ankle injury dashed Gemma's hope of dancing. With no family left Gemma is living in squalor with distant relatives. Anyone that can come up with the money wants to leave earth. Gemma helped her doctor boyfriend leave earth and is waiting for him to arrange her passage to the colony. She
Jacqueline J
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful sci fi romance. Great characterization especially the heroine since the entire book is in her POV 3rd person. Good world building. Strong story with a slow burn romance.
TP
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, sci-fi
I liked it.
Although it was a bit slow in the beginning, the writing style was very engaging.
I am actually sad there isn’t a second book continuing the story of Gemma and Simon.
Good word building with interesting characters who were well created and thought through.
The plot was also great.
Celeste
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If I was going to pick one word to describe my experience with this book, it would be addicting. I felt consumed by this book, I was addicted to every word and read at a breakneck speed. I honestly didn't realize how long this book was until after I completed it. I had to triple check I wasn't seeing things when it said 500 hundred pages after I finished. Did I just read a 500 hundred page book in one night without even realizing it? Well apparently yes. I'm still surprised by how fast the pages ...more
Bethan
Would love a sequel to this and to see Gemma reacting to the new world with Simon! The story ended too sudden for me. Like others, I thought my copy had missing pages at the end. I honestly really enjoyed this book and would love for it to continue :)
cassberrie
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alien-smut-lol
a MILLION thanks to the Goodreads algorithm for recommending me this one. Y'all really came in clutch :')

Gemma is your standard protagonist straight out of a kdrama: down-on-her-luck, living with heartless relatives, poor, sassy, been ditched by her ex-fiance, and in possession of a heart of gold. She works at the local prison, and usually tends to Level 2, where the female prisoners are kept... Until one day, when she gets transferred up to Level 3, where they keep the aliens.

Many years ago, t
Daenerys Targaryen
One of my favorite books. I love the world building the author had going in this book. To me this is an "unput downable" book. I rarely read the same book more than once and I read this at least 3 times. I wish the author will come up with a sequel for this book or write other books. Gemma and Simon's plight is very realistic compared to a lot of scifi books that I read (and forgotten). A lot of reviewers commented about the abrupt ending. Yes, the ending needs a bit more work. But overall a gre ...more
OneDayI'll
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Curiouser and curiouser

Gemma has taken some knocks. Earth was defending against aliens when her brother was shot down in the line of duty. Her parents never recovered from the loss. She was forced to move to a new town after her accident, the one that killed her dance career. Her fiancee moved on into a new life with his fancy medical career. She's taken a low wage, high risk job (even with a good ankle) at a mixed species prison. And her nights are filled with the greedy complaints of her remai
minnemoo
My track record for ratings isn't the best. I rarely hand out 5 stars, not because I'm a heartless bitch who cackles maniacally while gleefully slapping terrible ratings on books (at least I hope not), but because for me a book has to hit all my feels. Smiling, laughing, crying, turning pages in breathless anticipation, and then when the book ends, wanting to read and experience it all over again. Which I certainly attest to for this book. I read this two times in a row all in one sitting, cuz I ...more
Angie
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
More?

Lovely post-apocalyptic sci-fi. I can't wait for more work from Lydia Hope.

The story got darker than I usually prefer but I felt like the main character had enough dimension to navigate the darker events (Love Gemma!!!)

A small negative is that the book needs a good editing. A lot of random punctuation and format errors but they didn't take away from the overall quality of the writing.

Also, a bit of an abrupt ending after so much minute details early on (her daily routine, job details, daily
Suz
Jul 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, dystopian, scifi
2.5+

This felt a lot like a first effort, perhaps even a first draft. I've harped on in my status updates about the copy editing so I will leave it by stating it strongly needs at least one more pass by a copy editor for not only typos also but incorrect word usage.

The premise of the story, the bones of it, are interesting although the book falls down in execution. More than half of the book is spent in the prison and that set a much slower pace than the book deserved. Why the heroine begins to o
Jennasis
I loved the slow burn romance, Simon and Gemma's relationship was so interesting and fun to read. They are so different, and Simon's reactions to her were so sweet.

So much happened in this book! There was never a dull moment, and we always had the since of a threat lurking, and not even the same threat. OO, The Dr., the inmates, Simon himself, Gemma's family. I loved every second of this book and only wish I could read more form this author!

• Heart's Prisoner (Dark World Mates #1)
  • Beyond the Next Star (Love Beyond #1)
  • Choosing Theo (Clecanian #1)
  • Broken Earth (Argurma Salvager, #1)
  • Saving Askara (Saving Askara #1)
  • Strange Love (Galactic Love, #1)
  • Dark's Savior (Dark World Mates #2)
  • Classified Planet: Turongal (The Darvel Exploratory Systems, #1)
  • Riv's Sanctuary (Riv’s Sanctuary, #1)
  • Chasing Earth (Saving Askara #2)
  • Freeing Luka (Clecanian #2)
  • Dark River (Dark, #1)
  • Spanning Worlds (Saving Askara #3)
  • Shadow's Chosen (Dark World Mates Book 3)
  • Contagion