Start by marking “Black Stone Heart (The Obsidian Path, #1)” as Want to Read:

Michael R. Fletcher

Black Stone Heart

(The Obsidian Path #1)

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  10 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A broken man, Khraen awakens alone and lost. His stone heart has been shattered, littered across the world. With each piece, he regains some small shard of the man he once was.

He follows the trail, fragment by fragment, remembering his terrible past.

There was a woman.

There was a sword.

There was an end to sorrow.

Khraen walks the obsidian path.
Paperback
Published 2020

To ask other readers questions about Black Stone Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Stone Heart

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of Black Stone Heart (The Obsidian Path, #1)
Michael Fletcher
Jan 06, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
The book is NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER FROM THE AMAZON THINGY OF YOUR CHOICE!!!

Rather than thinking things through and planning, I have rather randomly decided that the book shall be released in all formats on April 1st. This time, in the hopes of not GREATLY annoying every reviewer I know, I shall not suddenly bump that date forward on a whim. I pinky promise.

I'ma about halfway through recording the audiobook. If all goes well, it'll be released at the same time as print and digital.

Petros Triantafyllou
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read this one (or at least an early draft of it) back in early 2017. I've read over 100 books since then. None was better.
I just finished editing this book and to say it kicked my ass (in the best way) is an understatement. This book is AMAZING and INTENSE and DARK and WEIRD and all those delightful things that Fletcher is known for. However, after reading a whole bunch of his books, and editing a few others, I've come to the conclusion that this is his best book yet.

I can't stop thinking about it, to be quiet honest with you, and I'm frankly a bit pissed off at him that book two isn't ready to be read yet.
FanFiAddict
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Black Stone Heart is Fletcher's best novel to date, and that is really saying something coming from someone who can't stop talking about Beyond Redemption.

An unforgettable story; one that cuts with the sharpest of blades and heals with the finest of salves. You will not be unmoved.

Khraen may be one of the best protagonists to hit the fantasy scene since Logen Ninefingers.

I had the opportunity to read Black Stone Heart (The Obsidian Path #1) a couple of years ago before it even had a title. The
Carrie Chi Lough
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Black Stone Heart deserves more than the five stars that the rating scale is limited by. Everything that I love about Fletcher's stories-twisted characters, the intricate world-building, and his imagination - is amplified tenfold in his new series. If you enjoy grimdark, this book should be in your library.

The measure of one's wickedness lies somewhere between their victim's perspective and their own justification. Black Stone Heart is the story of self-discovery within violence and profound
C.W. Snyder
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This might be the best Fletcher book I've read to date.

That's not a light statement, considering his oeuvre: Beyond Redemption, Smoke and Stone, The Mirror's Truth, and on, but I tore through this in less than four days, and it left me wanting more. More, more, more now.

Black Stone Heart is, on the outside, progression fantasy. It begins at a sprint, and only pours on speed as the story moves through the typical beats: fight, grow; fight, fail; fight, grow. The action is swift and brutal, the
Lukasz
It doesn't even have a cover yet, so I'll post full review closer to publication date. Suffice to say, I loved it. FLetcher will take you on a wild and unpredictable ride. This book has it all, great banter, distinct, darkly hilarious voice, excellent pacing, and is compulsively readable.

I liked most of Fletcher's books and I consider his Smoke and Stone great but if anything depended on me I would forbid him to work on anything but The Obsidian Path series. I need the sequel.
Jon Adams
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review closer to release date, but it's Fletcher. What do you expect?
Robert Aldrich
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

That being said, first off, I was given an ARC copy of this book by the author, who is a pretty nice guy even allowing for the fact that he is Canadian :)

I have been reading Michael's books as they have come out over the years, and I have always been impressed with how he tells a story. And he continues to deliver great character-based, story driven narratives, with rich world-building that feels deep enough you would want to read novels just based upon things you learn about the world's
Kelly
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by the author.

Khraen awakens.
Haunted by the echoes of the man he once was.
Compelled to make himself and his memories whole.
Desperate to be a better man than he was.
Determined to to seek revenge for wrongs past and present.
How far is Khraen willing to go down the slippery slope of necessity?
Old habits die hard, after all.

Fletcher does it again with Black Stone Heart. Gripping from the first pages. This book made me want to stop my life and get completely lost in this story. The
Mike Voss
Konstantinos
Amanda
Yariv

• Prosper's Demon
  • Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal, #1)
  • Valley of the Free: Pandemonium Rising (#0.5)
  • Blackest Spells
  • Shields in Shadow (The Silent Champions #1)
  • The House of Sacrifice (Empires of Dust #3)
  • Never Die
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • A Time of Blood (Of Blood and Bone, #2)
  • Gunmetal Gray (Gray Man, #6)
  • Description (Busy Writer's Guides, #10)
  • Legacy of Ghosts (The Coraidic Sagas #2)
  • Darksoul (Godblind #2)
  • Pile of Bones (The Legends of the First Empire #0.5)
  • Notes from the Cat House
  • Life in the North (The System Apocalypse #1)
  • Ballistic (The Palladium Wars #2)
  • How to Write Dialogue (Busy Writer's Guides, #3)
Michael R. Fletcher is a science fiction and fantasy author, a grilled cheese aficionado, and a whiskey-swilling reprobate. He spends his days choreographing his forklift musical (titled "Get Forked"), and using caffeine as a substitute for sanity. Any suggestions that he is actually Dyrk Ashton in disguise are all lies.

Blog (kinda): http://michaelrfletcher.com/