Start by marking “Powder & Pavlova (Southern Lights, #1)” as Want to Read:
Powder & Pavlova (Southern Lights, #1)

Powder & Pavlova

(Southern Lights #1)

ETHAN SHARPE is living every young Kiwi’s dream—seeing the world for a couple of years while deciding what to do with his life. Then he gets a call.

Two days later he’s back in New Zealand. Six months later his mother is dead, his fifteen-year-old brother is going off the rails and the café he’s inherited is failing. His life is a hot mess and the last thing he needs is
ebook, 1st edition, 288 pages
Published January 23rd 2020 by Southern Lights Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Powder & Pavlova, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Powder & Pavlova

Start your review of Powder & Pavlova (Southern Lights, #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I waffled around with my rating on this one a little bit, mostly because it is a slower-moving book and it took me about a week to read. But, in the end, I felt the feels I wanted to feel.

Powder & Pavlova is an emotional, moderately angsty read, with great secondary characters and some real-life relationship complexities. It was my first read from Jay Hogan, and it made me want to read her whole backlist.

There was a big helping of insta-lust, which usually doesn't work for me, but
Cadiva
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wonderfully evocative New Zealand setting book from Jay gives the reader a really beautiful age gap romance.

I loved the way the passion between Ethan and Tanner was so strong, while at the same time, both were fighting the deeper emotions and fears over the complications falling in love would bring.

With a whole cast of fantastic secondary characters, a real sense of place, and a perfect blend of steamy sex and fairly low intensity angst, this book was another hit.

I'm really excited with
Bev
Enjoyed this one. Not quite as much as Jay's other reads, but it's the first of a new series, and book 2 Tamarillo Tart features a very sassy femme character...can't wait to read it. Maybe I'll have to consider a Jay Hogan bookshelf sooner rather than later ... ...more
Caz
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've given this an A- at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

I read and enjoyed a couple of books by Jay Hogan last year, so I was more than happy to jump intoPowder & Pavlova, the first book in her Southern Lights series of m/m romances set in and around Queenstown, New Zealand. This is a May/December story featuring a pair of engaging and well-rounded protagonists whose flaws make them seem all the more real, and their romance is a gorgeous slow-burn, full of chemistry that fizzes and pops
Joyfully Jay
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Powder and Pavlova starts the new Southern Lights series from author Jay Hogan. I was so excited to hear that the author not only has a new book, but a new series. I have enjoyed all of her books, with one making my best of list this past year. From the start with this book though, the overall set-up didn’t grab me.

Ethan is completely stressed out, his brother is not doing well, and he’s not looking for a hookup. Since Tanner is leaving town soon, they decide to
Ami
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another DELIGHTFUL read from Jay Hogan (I think I've added her to my auto-watch author list).

I loved the chemistry between Ethan (who is gay - and yes that's how he introduced himself to Tanner *lol*) and Tanner. Their interaction is SO MUCH FUN TO READ! The supporting characters are joy to read as well, from Ethan's teenage brother Kurt, to his grumpy barista Adrian, to his other sassy employee Lucy, to Tanner's best friend Stefan.

The conflict feels real and well-rounded. Ethan's guilt and
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2020
Tanner and Ethan
After four years of traveling, Ethan got back home for the worst reason.
And now it’s just him and his younger brother Kurt. Ethan, still grieving, has to take care of him and work hard to run the cafe she left him. And business is going down, fast.
Kurt is hurt but also angry, at Ethan. Their relationship is going bad.

Then there is Tanner a somewhat older guy who is in town for business for some months.
They start something good and both know it can’t last.
But the months go by and
Lillian Francis
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lovely. Blubbed for every word between 83-88%, every bloody word.
This story deals with overcoming grief in many forms and the lengths people go to to protect themselves from that hurt. Ethan & Kurt are dealing with the loss of their mother, an immediate and intense hurt. Into this comes Tanner, older, more put together, except Tanner is still running from the grief of his career-ending injury 14 years ago.
Despite the subject matter I found this a light read (apart from that 5% of impending
Didi
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kiwi romance more often than not hit right with me (at least from the few books I read so far). And POWDER AND PAVLOVA is another win for me.

The first entry to Jay Hogan’s new “Southern Light” series, this is an age-gap contemporary romance set in wintry Queenstown, New Zealand. Individually a charming and imperfect (although conflicted) character, they mashed well together and with other supporting ones. I could feel Ethan’s guilt and frustration juggling his mother legacy with his brother’s
Colleen
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
just finished the ARC for this and I'm so excited about this book so had to share with you guys. Jay Hogan just keeps on getting better and better and I already loved her books. This book is the complete package. It will have you tearing up with both angst and some of the best humor around. it will keep you totally engaged through out with some of the most beautiful descriptions of where this brilliant story takes place. It may have tears streaming down your face as it did me and then laughing ...more
Christina Wade - BFD Book Blog
This author is steadily climbing up my favorites list. We had a bit of a rough go with one book but with books like this one, I’m all in every time.

In a nutshell, I loved this book. Both main characters are just damn good – perfectly flawed and human, yet amazing. The supporting cast – even the OTT best friend of Tanner – are well written and well developed and I was invested in all of them. I laughed, I cried (a few times) and I finished the book in 2 days.

As mentioned in the synopsis, Ethan
Kirk
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance
Jay Hogan is a new to me author, so I went in without any expectations. I was pulled in straight away by Ethan and Tanner’s beautiful story which is by no means easy and light; these two had a lot to deal with in their personal lives before being struck by the lust and chemistry when they meet in Ethan’s café. The character development had a lot of depth, so we really got to see what moved and motivated these two men. The story had that warm and comforting feeling that you rarely find and that ...more
Anabela.M.
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Powder and Pavlova was an absolute delight to read. What I loved most about the book was the wormth and affection emanating from its pages. And I'm not referring only to the romance between Ethan and Tanner,but also to the close group of friends they have around them. To me they felt more like a family,their interactions full of banter and jokes,but also offering support or blunt truths when needed. It was prove,once again, of Jay Hogan's skill in writing connections.

The story has an easy flow
Patricia Nelson
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word!! This was a fantastic, amazing, grab-you-by-the-feels, beautiful, poignant, heartbreaking yet hopeful, emotionally charged, slow burning, powerful, hilarious, snarky, delightful, and totally awesome tale. The author takes the slow burning, friends-to-lovers, and hurt/comfort storylines, and skillfully weaves them together into a marvelous gem that I would recommend getting immediately.
Elle
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Since reading 'First Impressions', Ms Hogan's first book, I've been a massive fan of this lady's work. All of her books are up there on my favourite reads list, I've read and reread them numerous times. Powder and Pavlova is no exception...I LOVED it!

Ethan and Tanner drew me in from the first page, it totally had me hooked. They're both very real,(mistakes are made by both), and likeable. The story has everything, loadsa humour, a fair bit of heartbreak, a truckload of romance, and finally
Esther
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I love Jay Hogan’s books, but for some reason halfway this one I completely lost interest (but finished it anyway) I have no explanation, because the writing was good and the two Mc’s were fun and great together. The only thing I can come up with is that the storyline didn’t work for some reason. Sorry to be do vague, but I really can’t pinpoint the issue.
So I think the issue was me and not the book.....
French_fry
DNF @ 24%

Too insta-love. Too much internal dialogue. Too much bumbling about incapacitated by the handsome near-stranger.

Not for me
Debbie
I was gifted my copy of this book, in exchange for my review, these are my words and thoughts.

Ethan is struggling. Dealing with the death of his mum, looking after her failing coffee shop and trying to bring his 16 year old brother back to some sense of normal is taking its toll. Enter the hot guy who makes Ethan all warm and fuzzy, he gives Ethan a few miuntes every day, just to dream. Tanner goes to the coffee shop every day just to get an eye full of the much younger guy who works there. He
Maryann Kafka
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have read both books in Jay Hogan’s “Auckland Med” series and really liked them but she outdid herself with this new start for the “Southern Lights” series.

I was intrigued with both Ethan Sharpe and Tanner Carpenter’s stories as they both struggled and came to realize, somehow, someway they had to make decisions that were difficult. This is more than a story of a May/December romance. Tanner is much older than Ethan and I sympathized with him quite a bit. He not only considered but based some
Smut Librarian
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You know those stories that have such a wonderfully painted landscape that you can’t help but fall into them and lose yourself?Powder and Pavlovaby Jay Hogan is just that.A delightful read that will make you feel like you belong in Southern New Zealand, needing coffee and a slice of pav!

Ethan is trying his best to keep his Mother’s cafe running after her death six months ago. He is also struggling to keep his 16 year old brother on track and the very last priority on his list is himself.

Tanner
JenCW
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
4.25 Stars!

Ethan has too much on his plate to even think about his crush, a gorgeous older man who comes into his cafe. When that man, Tanner, flirts with him one day, it is the beginning of a friendship and more, that neither man is ready for. However, they can't deny their attraction.

This is my first book by this author and it will definitely not be the last. I will admit that I was worried at the very beginning of the book that I might not connect with it, but once Tanner starts flirting
Amy Dufera
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jay Hogan's Powder and Pavlova, the first book in the Southern Lights series, is wonderful.

Tanner and Ethan, two men who belong together, have bad timing and conflicting circumstances. Hooked immediately, I love and adore these two men who must choose between love and responsibilities. The emotions left me gutted at times. Both men have realistic and dynamic.

What starts as a temporary arrangement, soon turns into more for these two men who are great together. What follows is a riveting tale
Elle
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Book from Jay Hogan

Bonnie
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Powder & Pavlova is the 1st book in a series called Southern Lights by Jay Hogan.

*****Teaser alert****

This is the story of Tanner & Ethan, it is a great story of finding love helping each other thru some hard times.

Ethan is dealing with the emotions of losing his Mum, and trying to keep her cafe open and getting his younger brother thru the loss as well.

Tanner seems to be put together but has his own demons. After a terrible snowboarding accident 14 yrs prior. He is going to have to
Breanna Kay
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Powder & Pavlova follows Ethan and Tanner. Ethan who inherited a coffee shop after his mother’s death while trying to be a parent/ big brother to his brother Kurt. Tanner having his own struggles but showed support for Ethan during his. I really enjoyed getting to know these characters and how they thought. The author pulled me in immediately with the awkward meeting between the two main characters and i loved that.

i found this book to be a bit jumpy at times while meeting Tanner quickly
Anna Torres
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Somehow, love makes things possible!

A really really sweet age gap story that’ll make you love Jay Hogan more! I love the books I have read so far from Ms. Hogan, she has her own distinct style of writing that is amazing! In this book, you will fall insanely in love with Ethan and Tanner!

Ethan inherited his mother’s cafe at a very young age, and he has to take care of his younger brother as well. Never mind that said brother is slowly going off the rails.

Here comes Tanner Carpenter, older and
Virginia Lee
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was an emotional story of a young man that lost his mom and now has to manage everything back home. The stress is taking a toll on Ethan at his mom coffee shop that he inherits. But will the struggle with his 16 years old brother and not knowing how to connect again with him. Tanner he pulls to Ethan if though there is a major age difference. We see Tanner and Ethan come together and heal each other from there pains and guilt. The banter and flirting with this two would make you fan ...more
Goldenchels
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I’m not sure what I expected from the blurb, but what I got was one of the most moving and deeply touching books I’ve read in a long time. All the feels are packed in this page turner but so are the laughs. Main characters Ethan and Tanner are obviously so lovingly written. You can’t stop yourself (I couldn’t) from falling in love with both of them immediately. The cast of supporting characters are bright and add to the wonderful story. Honestly, I’m not surprised, Jay Hogan writes brilliantly
LauraSt
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loving this new-to-me author

Ethan and Tanner were breathtaking. I absolutely loved their dynamic. Ethan young, lost, determined and sassy with the perfect level of flustered. Tanner, older, wiser, sexy but lost too. The age gap between these characters was inconsequential at times because they reversed roles like an UNO game, and I absolutely loved it! It was not expected at all, but a very very nice surprise. I loved that Ethan could stand on his very own, and didn’t really need a knight in
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Two book pages for same book 3 251 Jan 24, 2020 03:30PM

• Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Pretty Perfect (Boys in Makeup, #1)
  • Snow Way Out (Snowed In - Valentine's Inc. #7)
  • Above and Beyond (Twist of Fate #4)
  • Finding Finley
  • Stick to the Script (Ace's Wild, #13)
  • Daddy (Kinky Boys #1)
  • Before the Call  (Small Town Hearts, #2)
  • Unexpected (Inked, #3)
  • Shots on Goal (Stick Side #3)
  • After the Crash (Small Town Hearts, #1)
  • Renegades (Breaking the Rules #1)
  • The Dichotomy of Angels
  • Angels Sing (Daddy Dearest, #2)
  • Devil's Hour (Zero Hour, #2)
  • Snow Daze (Snowed In - Valentine's Inc. #4)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
Jay Hogan
Jay Hogan is a New Zealand author writing in m/m romance and romantic suspense.She has travelled extensively and lived in a few different countries. In another life, she was an Intensive Care Nurse, Counselor, and Nursing Lecturer.

She is owned by a huge Maine Coon cat and a gorgeous Cocker Spaniel

You can find Jay at:

Southern Lights (2 books)
  • Tamarillo Tart (Southern Lights, # 2)