Start by marking “The Stand Out” as Want to Read:
The Stand Out

The Stand Out

Blackmail is such an dirty word . . .

I need a plus-one for a wedding.
A stand in.
And when my friend’s start dropping names, I panic.
But then an idea hits me in the shape of Archer Powell.
Tall, dark, and gorgeous. Check!
Looks good in a suit. Check!
The office heartthrob,
He’s picture perfect for the position.
Maybe even a few of them.

Dear Archer Powell,
You are cordially invited
Paperback
Published February 6th 2020

Start your review of The Stand Out
Lisa Staples
What's a little blackmail between friends? Well, apparently it's even more fun when it's between enemies who have the undeniable hot's for one another!

Donna Alam has a fabulous knack for throwing her characters into dubious, precarious and often riotous situations that just have you sitting back with a glass of wine and thinking.."Ohhh yeah, this is gonna be good!"

Heather needs a plus one for the office wedding of the year, and Archer could use a little less attention drawn to his Casanova ways;
Sara Oxton
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Stand Out by Donna Alam a five-star read that will stand out in your memory for a long time. This once again proves why Donna Alam writes men that just knock all the boys out of the park. My, my, my I have never been so eager to read and stuck not able to, yesterday this dropped to my kindle before the busiest day in my life!! No sneaky reading for me at lunch. Que getting home and just being so ignorant as I was reading so don’t be speaking to me or expecting any walking husband and ...more
Kristen Lewendon
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sweet and spicy and so much fun. Enemies-to-lovers crossed with fake relationship themes made this a book I never wanted to end. I giggled, I sighed, and I loved Heather and Archer to bits and pieces. They both have piles of past baggage weighing them down and I just wanted to hug them both tight, promising that everything would be okay. Their sassy and snarky banter showed they have loads of chemistry together which made for lots of scorching scenes between the pair. I think I say the same ...more
Cheryl   Graham-Petit
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Take one tall, dark and gorgeous heartthrob and one quirky woman who blackmails him into attending a wedding with her, and you get a great enemies-to-lovers office romance with a whole lotta heat.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
Treasa
STAND OUT Has It ALL!
It's exciting entertaining intense and will grab hold of your emotions and tug hard at your heartstrings. The chemistry is full of irresistible angst that had me frustrated and swooning with a hungry need to keep turning the pages. This story got me hooked from the start with a realistic feel and flowed at a nice steady pace. Another awesome read from this author who always does an amazing job of writing with great vivid detail that every word seems to come to life always
Stephanie Ditmore
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heather and Archer were off the charts smoldering hot, fun and I couldn’t put this book down. Each of them have their own baggage and when Heather’s told her friends a little white lie about being in a relationship, she quickly needs to find a date to a wedding and who better to go with her than Archer? He’s known for his philandering ways and needs a new image and what’s a little blackmail between friends? Right? The heat is there, they are intense, and what starts out fake may just pick up a ...more
Ga Books LoverX
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Stand Out was an entertaining RomCom that focuses on lengths one will go to have a plus one for a wedding, needless to say, reading Heather's journey was quite a ride! The chemistry between the two characters was nicely built and I liked the story-line that Alam created.

All in all, if you are looking for a humorous and steamy book, check out The Stand Out right away! I give it a solid 4.25 outta 5 stars and enjoyed the banter between the two characters!

PS: I received an ARC of the book and
Kellie
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love. Love. Love! Another great addition in this series. Donna Alam always manages to create that perfect blend of funny, sexy and swoony characters in all her books. Couldn’t put it down until I was finished!
Snow
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*deep sigh*

unfortunately, not even the sexy banter and all the bickering could have me pulled into this story.

I'm actually unpleasantly surprised as how unfortunate I was to relate to these characters and the slow flow of the story...

My bad.

and yet, I couldn't give a 1 star cause honestly, I have read much worse and this is better than that, for sure.
Margot C
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Outstanding book by Donna Alam

Another stand out book which has great comedic scenes as well as her usual sensual stuff. I liked that the female lead characters is ADD as often this is given to male characters. Loved the integration with Miranda and Harry’s story too.
Zelda
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
We met Heather in Not the One-Miranda's cousin who was on her way to university. Heather's finished university now & works at E11even, a digital marketing company. Her boss, Hadyn, has been difficult & she finds herself in a predicament. Heather has been known as weird & quirky, so she forces a solution to her problem and blackmails her coworker Archer into her plan. Ms Alam has the best characters with the best dialogue, whether it is between Heather and her friends Daisy & ...more
heareads
Donna never fails to make me laugh through a book and Heather and Archer had the perfect amount of comedy, mixed with friendly love/hate interactions.

Our love adventure begins when Heather, spots Archer, on what looks like a date with their employers Top boss’ daughter. She sees this as an opportunity and kind of blackmails him into being her fake boyfriend at an upcoming wedding in exchange for her silence on the alleged date.

Archer decides to have a little fun on this date, but their true
Terri Eaches
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will A Stand In Date Go the Long Haul

Absolutely A MUST READ and laugh your way to love!!! Heather is Miranda's cousin from "Not The One" and has a bit of a socializing fear. Not lucky with love and a terrible first experience she isn't looking for Mr Right but she does need a plus one for a wedding. Enter office hottie tall, dark and a serial shagger Archer Powell. Let the games begin!!! She could have just asked him to attend but noooo, she tries to blackmail him into going so now they are
Rosie
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Stand Out is a new fake relationship romance by Donna Alam which was fun, flirty and full of hotness and I loved it!

Heather and Archer barely know each other apart from the odd hello around the office, until Heather needs a date to their colleague’s wedding. Archer is known as the office playboy so, after catching Archer in a precarious situation, Heather decides to ask him to be her stand in wedding date. After a tense discussion, where blackmail may or may not have been used, Archer
Jennifer Pierson
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Stand Out features a quirky girl and the office heartthrob who are office enemies with (blackmailed) benefits. It's full of fun, fire, and f—sexytimes!

I seriously try to NEVER use anything from the blurb in my reviews as people can read them for themselves, but that line above was just TOO GOOD to not do so in this case. It pretty much sums this story up in the very best of ways to be honest. Heather needs a plus for an office wedding, and Archer really needs some of the heat off of him, so
Gin
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Titillating goodness! The banter was marvelous fun and at times panty-melting sexiness. I’m from the US and with this London setting I didn’t understand some of the language but I was loving every word and absurd action. The fast-paced, crazy banter between this fabulous group of women was so much fun and when it verged on the raunchy side it was hilarious. And then the banter between the slightly awkward, adorable Heather and the ode to The Gandy, Archer, was a riot. And what a randy Gandy ...more
Jennifer D.
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
While I enjoyed The Stand Out, I felt it fell short of what I have come to expect from Donna Alam. I had a hard time getting into it and connecting with the characters at first. But it didn't take long for that to turn around.

I really liked Heather and Archer together and how they complemented each other. I wanted to shake some sense into them when they were afraid to put their true feelings out there and possibly miss out on something great. Luckily they came to their senses.
Alexandra Silva
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored Archer and Heather. The Standout is HOT AS HELL. Hotter maybe. I couldn’t get enough of them. Their chemistry was off the charts and it kept me turning the pages as though my next breath depended on it.

I can’t stop thinking about this book, and every thought brings a smile, excitement and butterflies. I was so invested in this duo that it felt like I was a part of the story. I felt all the feelings with these characters and in the end, all I can say is, I want more!
Emma bramley
Shelves: reviewed
This is an enemies to lovers story, with a fake romance thrown in. I really enjoyed the story between the characterts, Heather and Archer. This couple had smoking hot chemistry between them and the banter was laugh out loud funny. This is a fun, sexy, hot read with very swoon worthy characters.

I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy this book
Reading to Stay Awake
Another great book from Donna Alan

Thanks Donna for bringing Heather back and giving her a HEA. I loved her story and the sensitive use of ADHD was well done. Glad to see that Miranda is still happy too.

Shame the proof reader and editor gave up three quarters of the way through; perhaps they were caught up in the sex
BP34
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Archer is the gorgeous office heart throb. Heather needs a fake date for a wedding since she's told her friends that she's in a relationship. She's a little quirky and concerned about her small breasts but she's determined to show up with a date. A little blackmail goes a long way. Steamy and hot, this enemies to lovers romance will get your Kindle smokin.. Likable characters and an entertaining story that I read as an arc and voluntarily chose to review.
Pat
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This spicy read kept me turning the pages with the well written storyline and well created characters! As each and every page was turned Heather and Archer pulled me right into their storyline as it effortlessly unfolded!
Lisa H
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heather just got dumped like yesterday’s trash. She and her friends cook up a scheme.
It make involve a bit of blackmail to take a fake BF to a wedding. That’s were Archer comes in.
Office politics. Mean Archer is Heather’s plus one.

Sassy contemporary office/fake/enemies: read.

Purchased.
TheSassyNerdBlog
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
**Review to come**
Diana Whiteman
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I enjoyed the story between Heather and Archer...a few editing problems and a little slow at first but I'm glad I stuck with the story. I love the way Donna Alam writes.
Sissy's Romance Book Review
THE STAND OUT by Donna Alam is the story of Heather and Archer.
Heather as been placed in a predicament that leaves her claiming a boyfriend that she is to bring to a wedding. But she is fully single and needs to find someone to step in to the position, Enter Archer, who ends up being the fill in guy, but of course with these pretend romances more comes from them.
This was a fun, steamy romance that I enjoyed reading.

Jeeves Reads Romance
Loved the banter, hated the miscommunication

While I loved the snarky banter and enemies to lovers vibe of this fake relationship romance, there were too many stumbles along the way for me to say that I loved it. Along with a slow start and a heroine I struggled to like, there was a complete and total lack of communication between the characters that was endlessly frustrating. That being said, I loved the forced closeness, the connection they feel at the wedding, and the dialogue that Alam excels
Henna James
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To say I was looking forward to this would be an understatement. Donna Alam’s previous book Not the one was such a glorious book, I couldn’t wait for this one. And boy did she deliver; I couldn’t put the book down!
The Stand out is promised to be about blackmail. The heroine Heather blackmailing the hero, Archer, into accompanying her to a wedding she had been invited to. She might’ve also said at work she was dating seriously... Not wanting to get caught in her lie, she manages to twist Archer’s
Raecharmed
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heather's boyfriend dumps her via text message on her birthday. Heather and her friends are out celebrating her birthday when she notices a co-worker with someone he shouldn't be with. She heads to the restroom and as she's making her way back to her table Archer the co-worker in question stops her. They chat for a few before she goes back to her friends. The next day he brings her a cupcake to make up for his comments on her cupcakes the day before. She asks him to go with her to the wedding ...more
Alphas Do It Better Book Blog
4 stars

The Stand Out is my first book adventure with, new to me author, Donna Alum. This author provides a witty narrative and fun characters, although I found it slightly hard to understand in places as it is set in London and uses a lot of phrases, etc that the American audience might not be familiar with.

While I did enjoy the story, I do feel the beginning of the book (to about the 40% mark) labored on a bit before we became really invested in the characters. Archer and Heather are both well
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dirty Husband (Dirty Rich #3)
  • Weekend Wife
  • The Cruelest Stranger
  • Keeper
  • Accidental Shield (Marriage Mistake, #6)
  • Boss Man Bridegroom
  • The Dare
  • Doughn't Let Me Go
  • Rebel Soul
  • Love According to Science (Dirty Martini Running Club #2)
  • One Blissful Night (West Sisters #3)
  • Dear Ava
  • Marrying My Billionaire Boss
  • With This Ring
  • Protecting What's Mine
  • Playing to Win (Ice Kings, #1)
  • Wreck & Ruin
  • Conceal
Donna writes dirty stories, according to her family. She hopes you find them funny, too.

When not bashing away at a keyboard, she can usually be found hiding from her family and responsibilities with a good book in her hand and a dog that looks like a mop by her feet. She likes her humour and wine dry, her mojitos sweet, and her language salty.

Grab a FREE COPY of One (Extra) Dirty Scot by