Start by marking “ESV Study Bible” as Want to Read:
ESV Study Bible

ESV Study Bible

The ESV Study Bible was designed to help you understand the Bible in a deeper way. Created by a diverse team of 95 leading Bible scholars and teachers--from 9 countries, nearly 20 denominations, and 50 seminaries, colleges, and universities--the ESV Study Bible features a wide array of study tools, making it a valuable resource for serious readers, students, and teachers of God's Wo ...more
Published October 15th 2008 by Crossway (first published January 1st 2002)

Start your review of ESV Study Bible
Ethan Smith
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
yeah boy, I just read the whole Bible for the first time!!!
Peter Krol
Nov 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am not a big fan of study Bibles. In fact I'm not even a small fan.

However, this one has blown me out of the water. Full-color maps right alongside the text highlighting the specific places mentioned in that passage, introductions to books that are somewhat concise and yet actually contain useful information, study notes that focus primarily on observing the text - I could go on and on.

Last night I stayed up late reading my Bible. I haven't done that in ages, but it was
Barry
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From time to time—usually when someone is thinking of buying a new Bible—people ask me to recommend a translation. So, here it is. The English Standard Version (ESV) has been my preferred Bible for preaching and personal Bible reading since its publication in 2001 because it is an “essentially literal” translation that seeks, as far as possible, to capture the precise wording of the original text while retaining the beauty and dignity of the Tyndale-King James legacy of English Bibles. Starting ...more
Bill
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I finished my "through the Bible in a year" plan for 2015 about two weeks early. I really enjoyed the ESV Study Bible, and will be using it for years to come. The challenging part for me this year was that I not only read the complete Scriptural text, but also every article and footnote. There are a LOT of study helps in this Bible! As far as my "rating" of 5 stars...this is the Word of God, so how could I give it any less? Read it, learn it, live it!
Jeff Holton
Nov 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
As I prepare for this review I ask myself, “How in the world do you review a Bible?” I’m in a tough spot here because I can’t be neutral in my critique because I can’t criticize the author… That may not turn out well for me. So I have decided to touch on some of the highlights to the newest Study Bible from Crossway Books. The English Standard Study Bible is quite possibly one of the best study Bibles I own. Being a pastor myself, I have my fair share of study Bibles and this one wins hands down ...more
Heidi'sbooks
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Positives of the ESV Study Bible

The Maps! If you like maps, this is your Bible. Most Study Bibles have maps, especially in the back of the Book. But, this study Bible is map-paradise. There are maps in the back, but also in the front of each book placing the book in location. Not only that but there are maps in the study notes at the bottom of the page, and they are in color. So, if you are talking about a battle, in the notes there will be a map of the area and arrows showing th
John
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012, kindle
I had high expectations for this Study Bible after seeing the list of contributors. I've been using it for a few years now, purchasing it shortly after it was first published. Unfortunately I was more disappointed than impressed. The ESV translation is what it is, like it or not. I like it and have been using it for many years now.

The book introductions are pretty solid, but the real let down are the notes throughout each book. They simply weren't as helpful as I was hoping in so man
Rod
Nov 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books, bible
This is the greatest book i've ever known. Endless resources.

Now i'm waiting to view the Reformation Study Bible.
Kim
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I give this book my annual five-star rating, and I give Goodreads a hearty chuckle for listing the author as "anonymous."
Patrick
Apr 21, 2011 rated it liked it
New Testament:

1) Gospel of John - I always new that the Gospel of John was by far the most mystical of all the Gospel writings and thus something that I always feel the most inclined towards. In the Gospel of John, the idea of the trinity is broached in which three person in one God idea is unified. By extension, Jesus, in this Gospel shows his disciples unity toward God which in the end very mystical understanding of the Word of God. Also, something I find interesting in this Gospel
Kathleen
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is no other “book” that is living, breathing, active. No other book that matters the same way as these words from my Heavenly Father. This is the one book I will reread over and over again.
Peter
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I choose to believe that these ancient texts are exactly what they claim to be, and I conform my breath to every encouragement and commandment. I read this book once a year.
Paul
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible
This Bible is the nicest Bible I have ever owned (yes, I have the calfskin). It is also loaded with scholarly notes and articles written by an all-star cast of theologians. I am very impressed with it. At 2,752 pages it is said to be equivalent to a 20-volume Bible resource library all in one volume. It is endorsed by men like: Randy Alcorn, Jerry Bridges, Mark Dever, Lig Duncan, Albert Mohler, J.I. Packer, and John Piper. But what's best about it can be found in all Bibles. The gospel is contained inside. The ...more
Ken
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
The ESV Study Bible notes are top notch. This seems to be a good translation though not my favorite. Just a preference. But the notes are excellent. One thing (actually, the main thing) I liked about the ESV Study Bible was that it came with free access to an online set of full study notes. The site was great. Very simple and user friendly. I used it every day and the ESV was becoming my "go-to" translation mainly due to the online study notes. I used the online site almost exclusively because t ...more
Devon Morris
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The word of God is the best book I've ever read
Jeff
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Maybe not quite as flowing & beautifully worded as the KJV, but I do really appreciate the editors' attempts to keep the language as close as possible to the original texts, & to not fill in uncertain or debated words & passages with assumed verbiage. I haven't really gone in depth into the study part of this Bible, but I feel very assured that the text of Scripture itself will be edifying to any who take the time to read & apply it.
Amy
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Admittedly I've still not read all of this Bible's copious notes and articles and I plan to spend many years doing just that. Which is why I love this bible. Full color maps, thoughtful articles and footnotes plus a well translated text make this particular Bible the one I am likely to use as my primary bible for study and devotional for years to come.
Dkovlak
This is the best book ever written. I have read it for many years and hope to continue reading it for many more years. It is history, poetry, and a life guide all in one. It is "inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, correction, reproof, and training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work." 2 Tim 3:16-17. I highly recommend it!
Bill Tillman
What a wonderful study Bible! It's amazing how much can be packed into a single volume. Colorful maps and images let you see what is being described. Enough commentary for the Bible nerd. Don't miss this one!
Ryan Wirsing
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I work at a Christian bookstore and whenever someone asks for a Bible this is usually he first one I recommend. Great notes and articles with solid theology that actually lines up with Scripture. I use it for my Bible classes at my college. One of my main study Bibles.
Gabby
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Bible is AMAZING !!! it changed my life and filled an empty place in my heart, in other words, I feel like a new person! read this, and you will find yourself changing from the inside out, In a very good way! May God bless your day :)
Donna
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reading the Bible in 90 days was a challenge from my church. It's amazing to me that no matter how many times I've read it, God has revealed something new to me each time. I plan to read it again, but at a slower pace.
Rachel
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The best study bible out there. Read it!
Wanda Fuentes
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will always prefer the new international version. But this is the version I actually read from cover to cover... from Genesis straight through to Revelation.
Caroline Kraft
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm always reading this. :)
Susan
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The best study notes of any Bible I've ever had!
Rachel
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'd like to think I'll read through it more quickly next time...
travis harris
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love my ESV Study Bible.😇
Dale
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone !!!
Recommended to Dale by: Pastor Scott
Shelves: miscellaneous
Still the best book - God's love letter written to us, full of wisdom and truth.
Bethany
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The ESV Study Bible is not a new Bible. It has been out on the market since 2008, and it was the winner of the ECPA Book of the Year Award. I have had my eye on it for a while now, so I was very happy to finally get my hands on a copy! I have heard that this Bible is an invaluable resource for studying the Word, and I was pleasantly surprised by the volume of information contained in this amazing book!

First of all, the ESV Study Bible is no thinline Bible. Weighing in at a little ove
What do you think about the ESV 2 16 Mar 04, 2015 07:16AM
Christian Theolog...: What to do with that SABBATH law? 99 22 Feb 22, 2015 03:25PM
Christian Readers: How much can we trust the Bible? 72 118 Jul 14, 2014 05:56PM
Christian Theolog...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Homosexuality and the Bible. 422 73 May 14, 2013 10:05AM

• Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine
  • Mere Christianity
  • When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight for Joy
  • The Cross of Christ
  • Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
“Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. (I Corinthians 13: 7-8a ESV)” 38 likes
“If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.” 2 likes