Start by marking “Only Mostly Devastated” as Want to Read:
Only Mostly Devastated

Only Mostly Devastated

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  12,064 ratings  ·  2,682 reviews
When Ollie meets his dream guy, Will, over summer break, he thinks he’s found his Happily Ever After. But once summer’s ended, Will stops texting him back, and Ollie finds himself one prince short of a fairytale ending. To complicate the fairytale further, a family emergency sees Ollie uprooted and enrolled at a new school across the country—Will’s school—where Ollie finds ...more
Published March 10th 2020 by Hodder Children's Books (first published March 3rd 2020)
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Only Mostly Devastated, please sign up.
Sophie Gonzales The only additional content available at this stage is the eleven chapter prequel, which is available for free in pdf form to people who pre-order Per…moreThe only additional content available at this stage is the eleven chapter prequel, which is available for free in pdf form to people who pre-order Perfect on Paper before its release day (9th of March in the USA, 11th March in the UK). For more information, check the linktree on my twitter or insta, @sgonzalesauthor(less)
Sophie Gonzales Thank you so much, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! At this stage no sequels are planned, although I wouldn't rule out a spinoff book if the right idea cam…moreThank you so much, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! At this stage no sequels are planned, although I wouldn't rule out a spinoff book if the right idea came to me. There will, however, be some bonus content (think along the lines of a chapter told from Will's or Lara's point of view) available to those who pre-order my next book, so stay tuned on my twitter page for more details to come!(less)

·  12,064 ratings  ·  2,682 reviews

Start your review of Only Mostly Devastated
chai ♡
SIMON VS. THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA MEETS CLUELESS, INSPIRED BY GREASE

I expect to be only mostly devastated or else I am complaining to the manager for false advertisement
Miranda Reads
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miranda by: Tucker (TuckerTheReader)

description

OHMYGOSH. Goodreads Choice Award Nominees are up and My Reaction Video is too! Don't forget to vote!

description

The Written Review
Ollie just had the perfect summer romance.

Will was sweet, kind and genuinely seemed to "get" Ollie in all the ways his friends never did.

But...it's been a few days since he got back from visiting his Aunt and Uncle and Will has gone silent.

And then Ollie's parents
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I really, really enjoyed this!! I do wish we had gotten a little more show and a little less tell in regards to the romance between Ollie and Will, but I still really enjoyed this and I could NOT put it down. Not only was it super fun and romance-y, but it also had some depth and really took a good look at grief and I liked it a lot. I cannot wait to read what Sophie Gonzalez puts out next!

TW: terminal illness, death of a loved one, homophobia
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
I CANNOT EXPRESS HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS BOOK! 😍❤️💖

I requested this book from Netgalley for one reason - it is branded as an LGBT version of Grease! Instantly I thought, 'How can that not be great?!'. I was lucky enough to get this on a wish and oh boy was I right! It was so great, so sweet, so nostalgic but still so fresh. I am all out fangirl-ing for this one!! I only have one thing to say - get your hands on this book as soon as you can!! 😍😍

"All I'd needed was a Destiny's Child song play
C.G. Drews
You know what? I just simply adored this. I'm heart-eyes over it, but also in awe, because it tackled so many complex and serious topics AND managed to be an adorkable romcom that squished the air out of my lungs so many times. No, no, I genuinely had to put it down and scream at one stage. Out loud. You know a book is absolutely fantastic when it makes you feel absolutely e v e r y t h i n g the characters are feeling.

omfg, Ollie, I was with you in that moment at the end. We exploded together.
✨    jamieson   ✨
"It'll get easier. That's the beautiful thing about the universe. It puts you through trials, but it never gives you anything you can't handle. We grow from these things."

there are many reasons this could have earned a lower rating from me - not my kind of writing style, kind of a slow start. But ultimately I bumped it to a four because I loved the representation of this book and the examination of the two characters behaviour and how equally this novel showed the strengths and flaws of both
Judith
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

A hugely enjoyable YA romance which also tackles a serious subject-very well.This is only slightly touched on in the blurb so I'm not going to elaborate too much.

The theme of the book isn't a new one.High school setting with an out character and one firmly in the closest.But this is truly engaging.Told only from Ollie's pov and I think I fell for him instantly.

Ollie and Will have a summer fling.It's intense and passionate but once the summer is over Ollie is baffled by Will's silence.To make
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Wednesday Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

I know that everyone is comparing this to Simon vs. the Homosapiens Agenda and Grease but I would honestly say this was like a less graphic version of the Netflix show, Sex Education which, by the way, is a great show. Go watch it.

AnnaLuce
★★★✰✰ 3 stars

“It was late afternoon, on the very last Wednesday of August, when I realized Disney had been lying to me for quite some time about Happily Ever Afters.”

Only Mostly Devastated tells a cute but extremely formulaic story that is as memorable as a teen coming-of-age movie (possibly of the Netflix variety). I really wanted to enjoy this but I found the story to be unimaginative, the plot to be uneventful and—with the exception of Ollie and Will—every single character struck me as being
☆ Todd
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda meets Clueless, inspired by Grease.

With all of the many, many dramatics of the straight friends in the book, I definitely got a "Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda" vibe from the story, no doubt.

But "Clueless" was extremely funny, which this book had its moments, but I didn't personally feel that humor played much of a role here. At least not constantly, like in "Clueless".

And "Grease"? Ummm, I didn't really feel that many Grease-like moments, but I'm not com
Larry H
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book is all kinds of adorable!!

"It was late afternoon, on the very last Wednesday of August, when I realized Disney had been lying to me for quite some time about Happily Ever Afters. Because, you see, I was four days into mine, and my prince was nowhere to be found. Gone. Vanished."

Ollie and his parents moved to North Carolina from California for the summer when his aunt becomes ill. He spends most of his summer at the beach, taking care of his young cousins. There he meets Will—handsome,
Toni
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ollie Di Fiore is happy and secure in his sexuality. As his favourite Aunt Linda points out he has a supportive family, great friends, and a wonderful school. He doesn't even know how easy his coming out was compared to other people's. Ollie and his family spend their summer at a lake in North Carolina, and this is where he meets and falls in love with Will- 'sweet, thoughtful, and respectful' Will. Then suddenly Will starts ignoring Ollie's texts and it's clear whatever undefined relationship t ...more
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: gay mc, bi Venezuelan li, bi sc, plus-sized poc sc, poc scs
tw: cancer, off-page death, homophobia, biphobia, fatphobia

ARC provided by the publisher. Review also on my blog.

This is a very fun book, largely due to Ollie (the protagonist) who’s simply, in the very wise words of Will, ridiculous. I want to make some things clear, though, before we proceed: this is also a messy book. It’s messy in a way that none of the characters are perfect, and they keep making mistakes, and no one is really
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

As soon as I heard “inspired by Grease” – well . . . . . .

Much like the band TLC I will fully admit I ain’t too proud to beg either and did everything in my power to acquire an early copy of this one. And as soon as Ollie started his new school only to run into his summer lovin’ Will who totally pulled a Danny Zuko with his popular basketball buddies by saying he spent his summer just . . . . .

You know this old lady was like
Cassie
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Huh. Seemed pretty heteronormative. And what if a girl wanted to ask a girl? Or otherwise.}

THIS BOOK!

It is such an important story and brings up such valid topics, such as the quote above. Honestly, I went into this with expectations of having a good time and just rooting for all the gays. And I got that, but I also got so much more out of this book. The writing was also amazing. It was smart and funny and I adored every word on these pages
h o l l i s
I'll admit that this didn't end up being the most amazing wonderful adorable hilarious queer YA rom-com I expected it to be back when it was first announced. But I think, based on how insane my expectations were, this was still a pretty good read; even if, despite the ages of the characters and some of the subject matter, it did read a little on the younger of the YA side.

If you're picking this one up hoping to see some Grease references, you'll be pretty happy, I think. They weren't overdone, i
Kevin (Irish Reader)
4.5 Stars

TW: Homophobia, Illness/death, fat shaming, coming out

Really enjoyed this book so much! I really want to go rewatch Grease now! I did a full non spoiler reading vlog on this book which you can check out here: https://youtu.be/FB5TxnKAy4I
Sophie Gonzales
Apr 25, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
TAGS:

First Love, Unrequited love, Rollercoaster Romance, Pining, Boys in Denial, Happily Ever After, MC is self-deprecating, Sarcastic / Deadpan Humour, Gay rep, Bi rep, Anxious MC, Shy MC, Cocky Love Interest, Comfort, Bitchy Girl with a Heart of Gold, Medium Level Angst, MC is Already Out, Supportive Parents, Boys Riding Unicorns, TW Mentions of homophobia (called out), TW biphobia (called out), TW fatphobia (called out), TW Family Member with Cancer.

Also: Here are some other books that are qu
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
Am I humming "Summer Nights" while I write this review?
Possibly.

Only Mostly Devastated is a story about two boys who spend the summer falling in love only to have to say goodbye at the end of it all. But wait. SURPRISE! Ollie shows up as the new student at Will's school. Whoops.

Cue drama. Cue romance. Cue SUMMER NIGHTS.

Let me just start off by saying that, although I tried to lower them, my excitement and expectations for this book were very high. I mean look at that cover and that blurb
☆Pelumi☆ (i can't talk right now i'm doin hot girl shit)
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars
OUT OF FIVE
Cuteness: 100000000
Plot: 4
Character development: 3.5

If I am to describe this book in one word it'll be "adorable"

This book is just what I needed after a stressful exam...Its cute, fluffy, funny and heartwarming.
Its just one of the funniest things ever

This book discusses a lot of important issues such as homophobia, toxic masculinity, fear of coming out, body shaming and so many others. It is also diverse.

Let us begin this, shall we?
This book starts with Ollie(
Teal
Hmmm, I'm at a bit of a loss with this one. For two reasons:

1. The blurb.

When a blurb touts a book as "This Bestseller and That Bestseller meet T'Other Bestseller!!!" it passes my glazed eyes without registering. Because usually that's marketing bullshit, and at least 99% wrong. Thus, I went into this book oblivious to the fact that one of the comparisons made is to Grease.

Which is apparently, like, a cultural phenomenon? A Thing that people are into? That they squee over? That makes them want
tappkalina
May 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star, lgbt-read
I watched Grease in preparation, and it was so bad I new this book can only be better.
Boy, I was right!
It's a quick and enjoyable read, while deals with grief in a fucking realistic way. Representation on point.

I love when gay stories have this quote,
“I wasn’t even thinking straight.”

because duh, that's the whole point.

“me, gay, what? Nah, that’s just a side effect of alcohol. Blurry vision, inability to walk straight, sudden insatiable desire to undress other girls. Wait, that doesn’t happen t
sarah
★★★☆☆.75 stars

Only Mostly Devastated was everything I never knew I needed. Grease, but make it gay? Sign me up!

If you know the general storyline of Grease, this story begins in a very similar way. Ollie and Will had a summer fling but never expected to see each other. Until Ollie moves to a new school and *gasp* it is the one Will goes to.

It was impossible not to fall in love with our main character, Ollie. He was hilarious in a goofy, slightly awkward but very loveable way. His narration was
vangmayee
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i cried A LOT. and i loved this A LOT. maybe i do need to start reading more YA contemporaries
Christy
3 stars

Only Mostly Devastated was such a cute read! I loved that it was inspired by Grease and the main character Ollie had a great voice. The audio book was fun to listen to and I never wanted to hit pause.

Ollie has a summer romance with a boy named Will. Ollie is from California and spends the summer on the east coast with family. Circumstances lead to him staying east for his senior year of high school only for him to find he's going to the same school as Will.

Will and Ollie's present roma
Claude's Bookzone
2.5 Stars

Well sometimes you and a book just don't click and that's okay. I enjoyed it well enough but didn't quite get the 'heart eyes emoji' feels that I expected when I read the synopsis. It kind of meandered along to a satisfactory conclusion but at no point did I have that bubbly giddy fizzy feeling you get when there is a romantic relationship that you are hopelessly devoted to (eeeeeee..I worked it in!). Just okay for me.

Additional note: you will likely be singing Grease tunes whilst readi
Silvia
I was sent this book as an advance copy by the publisher for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

I was taken by surprise by this queer Grease retelling, not because I didn't expect it to be good (it sounded amazing) but because it kept trying to annoy me and it just...didn't.

Only Mostly Devastated is both a light-hearted romcom and a book that has many heavy themes within it, and the two aspects felt well-balanced and well-researched. With so many delicate themes at hand
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
Cute, queer, and oh-so-diverse, this might be my favorite book I’ve read this year thus far. Only Mostly Devastated is essentially a gay retelling of Grease. And, listen, I love that musical as much as the next theatre/choir nerd, but seriously, I love this book even more. It takes all the good parts of the classic and combines them with even more humor (and emotions), broader social awareness, healthier relationships, and none of the “change the most fundamental aspects of your personality just ...more
BookNightOwl
Summer Love or Summer Fling? That is what happens between Ollie and Will. Summer comes to an end and Will has officially ghosted Ollie. On the other hand Ollie has a lot of things going on in his life. His parents spring on him that they are staying in Town to help with his dying aunt instead of heading back home to California. Ollie is a senior starting a new school where nobody knows he is gay. To make matters worse he finds out he is going to the same school as Will who has ignored his text a ...more

• Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • Boyfriend Material
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Conventionally Yours (True Colors, #1)
  • If We Were Us
  • Bloodlust & Bonnets
  • The Glass Magician
  • Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • Love Lettering
  • Camp
  • Nameless Queen
  • Diamond City (The City of Diamond and Steel, #1)
  • The State of Us
  • We Met in December
  • The Shrike & the Shadows
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • How to Build a Heart
Sophie Gonzales writes young adult queer contemporary fiction with memorable characters, biting wit and endless heart.

She is the author of THE LAW OF INERTIA, ONLY MOSTLY DEVASTATED and PERFECT ON PAPER. IF THIS GETS (co-written with Cale Dietrich) is forthcoming in Fall 2021 from Wednesday Books / Macmillan.

When she isn’t writing, Sophie can be found ice skating, performing in musical theatre, a

Articles featuring this book

Are you searching for a great young adult novel to dive into? In that case, you've come to the right place. Goodreads members are pros at...
“And life was too short to play chicken with something as important as the person you loved.” 15 likes
“That’s the beautiful thing about the universe. It puts you through trials, but it never gives you anything you can’t handle. We grow from these things.” 13 likes