Start by marking “A Big Surprise for Valentine's Day (Holidays with the Wongs, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Big Surprise for Valentine's Day (Holidays with the Wongs, #4)

A Big Surprise for Valentine's Day

(Holidays with the Wongs #4)

Amber Wong has landed her dream job at the Stratford Festival, and life is looking good. Sure, she hasn’t had sex in so long that her condoms have expired, but she’ll just pick up some new ones, along with some discounted Christmas chocolate, at the grocery store.

And that’s where she runs into Dr. Sebastian Lam, the son of her parents’ close friends, whom she hasn’t seen
Published February 4th 2020 by Jackie Lau Books

To ask other readers questions about A Big Surprise for Valentine's Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Big Surprise for Valentine's Day

Start your review of A Big Surprise for Valentine's Day (Holidays with the Wongs, #4)
The_Book_Queen
A fun and sexy read!

Find a few thoughts/quotes I shared while reading this one: https://twitter.com/The_Book_Queen/st...
Mics ✖siempre romances✖
•Cocky hero who isn't a jerk
•Consent
•One night stand
•best friend's little sister
•Age difference (she's 26, he's 30)
•Awkward first time

I was really looking forward to read this book. Jackie always writes sweet and entertaining novellas. In this case it's a "one night stand with my best friend's little sister trope".
Sebastian was such a good guy, he always asked Amber what she liked even in small things like endearment names (he called her good girl a few times) and the sex scenes were so funny
Emmalita
It is no secret that I have become a fan of Jackie Lau in the past year. I reviewed 8 of her books last year and am looking forward to reading and reviewing more in the future. I received A Big Surprise for Valentine’s Day as an arc from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I’ve enjoyed the entire Holidays with the Wong series. Lau set out to write a series that ticked a lot of boxes – small town romance, holiday romance, racially diverse romance, low stakes and playing with tropes. I
b.andherbooks
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Amber Wong has given up dating for almost a year, but she's really missing sex. Deciding she's ready to take on some casual flings, she goes to the pharmacy to replace her expired condoms and runs into her old family friend Dr. Sebastian Lam. Awkward. Or is it? Dr. Lam has glowed up into a fine specimen and some flirting leads to him throwing Magnum condoms into her basket, with a promise that yes, he actually does need them.

They agree to try out a sex-only relationship and their families
Katie
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was rooting for this pair from their meet cute buying condoms. Lau is playing with some opposites attract, although we discover that they aren’t all that opposite, in addition to her other tropes of the aforementioned Older Brother’s Friend and Friends with Benefits. Amber is taking steps to correct missteps in her past, Sebastian is letting himself discover what he wants his life to be, and they are each working on healthy boundaries with their families while staying connected (something that ...more
Maria Rose
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun and very sexy secret hookup that becomes a real relationship! Full review to come!
Kaetrin
Jan 06, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: contemporary, ebook
pre-order from Amazon.
Christine
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am probably one of the last people to discover the Lunar New Year romance readathon on Twitter (#lnyreadathon20) and yes, what a fantastic way to kick off the new year. My Chinese New Year resolution is read more romance, specifically more Asian romances and more Asian authors, so this is totally on point. This steamy Valentine's Day romp is perfect for the readathon, even for people
who are anti-Valentine's Day.
Amber Wong was the Queen of Bad Boyfriends. She even had a cross-stitch that said
Louise ✨
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
rep: Chinese Canadian mcs, f/f side couple, Black Canadian side character, Japanese Canadian side character

I'm surprised that I have not read this book on its publishing date as I always do. This concludes the series of Holiday with the Wongs in a nice way. Even though it's good at what it wants to deliver, it was not my favorite series Jackie Lau has written. I'm still excited to see what she will do next.

But I did like the friendship Amber had with her best friends and how supportive they
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2020
The last book in this series about Amber the youngest Wong sibling. Amber has a history of dating assholes so she is on a no boyfriend kick. Sebastian is back in town to open his own practice. They met in a grocery store.
I could believe their romance. I think it helped they knew each other growing up (Sebastian was friends with Zach). I liked it when Sebastian stood up to his parents.
Jessica (the naptime writer)
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it

A BIG SURPRISE FOR VALENTINE’S DAY was my first Jackie Lau book and I could read it all day *said in Schmidt from
New Girl’s voice.

Want to hear the reasons why this novella’s so fun?

There’s a “just sex” arrangement between a woman and her brother’s childhood best friend that’s established over a box of condoms. You know what happens with that kind of arrangement in a romance book.

There’s no sex shaming here, either when it comes to their arrangement or the heroine or hero’s pasts.

It’s an
Viper Spaulding
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I want to spend every holiday with the Wong family!

Little sister Amber doesn't miss having a boyfriend, considering all the ones she's had were far less than she deserved. But there are "certain aspects" that she does miss, so when she runs into family friend Sebastian, a Friends With Benefits arrangement seems to be just what she needs. As long as neither of their families finds out.

Sebastian is coming off his own disappointing relationship, and a no-strings-attached arrangement sounds ideal.
Kristi (foxtail_too)
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook
Another fun romp with the Wong family! I always enjoy Jackie Lau's books, and this one is no exception. Amber Wong is fed up with bad boyfriends and, after a long hiatus, decides on sex without dating...and then runs into her brother's friend while both were buying condoms. It's a nice story, with super side characters. As always, I want a story about Amber's grandparents, Ah Ma and Ah Yeh, and I'd like to see Amber's two friends again. (On the other hand, I'd be perfectly happy never seeing ...more
Becky
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ohmygoodness, I loved this one!

I can't even tell you how much laughing out loud I did while reading this novella--between Amber's crazy family, her cross stitch projects, crochet projects, and the bits with the donuts--So. Much. Laughing.

On top of that, we have a hero and heroine who are just so freaking awesome together, both in the bedroom and out of it. I had as much fun watching them become friends as I did watching them...do other things together (wink, wink). Though this was a fairly short
Mel
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I didn’t enjoy this book as much as the previous ones in the series. I thought the beginning with the two MCs in the grocery store discussing the need for magnum sized condoms was awkward and when Sebastian put the box of magnum sized condoms in Amber’s cart, I thought that was a little high handed of him. I wish we’d gotten more insight into who he was - he just came off as a bit cookie cutter character with very little depth. I did, however, like the scene with his parents at the end - when he ...more
Phoenix
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this conclusion to the Holidays with the Wongs. I realized in Chapter 6 that I am Sebastian - I drive to the 'burbs to visit my mom every weekend and she sends me home with food she's cooked, groceries, and toilet paper that was on sale because my mom's love language is acts of service. There's other familiarity I've come to love - the shout-out to Waterloo, where I went to school, although it was to U Waterloo and not Laurier, aka the high school down the street - sorry, Amber.
Marianne
A Big Surprise for Valentine's Day was a lovely close to a lovely series. Amber and Sebastian were great together and I liked how the author handled the family stuff. I'm not sure that anything will surpass the pictionary scene in A Fake Girlfriend for Chinese New Year, but Amber's crochet work comes pretty close.
Erika
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic holiday novella from Lau! I am kinda bummed that Holidays the Wongs series has finally come to an end :(. It was nice to finally read about Sebastian and Amber's story after the sneak preview in the last story. Oh My Gawd there meet cute was HILARIOUS. Dropping a box of magnum condoms into someone basket is a ballsy move. Pick moves aside Sebastian was super sweet, and I loved reading about Amber getting the kind of relationship she deserved. A really sweet ending to a very ...more
Malin
4.5 stars This was delightful and sexy and very sweet and gets an extra half a star because it is the first contemporary romance featuring straight people I can remember EVER featuring lube. Full review to come, I'm sure I'll catch up on my reviews eventually.
Annie
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday-reads
Good holiday read. I'm guessing this is the end of the series because we are out of siblings.
Frida
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
"He garnished your fucking breakfast?"

And the fourth sibling gets her HEA. So much fun!
Prue M
Feb 04, 2020
Connor
Feb 08, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Headliners (London Celebrities, #5)
  • Tikka Chance on Me
  • Strange Love (Galactic Love #1)
  • Candy Hearts (So Over the Holidays, #2)
  • Not the Girl You Marry
  • Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure (The Worth Saga, #2.75)
  • The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #1)
  • Bibliomanías
  • Malice
  • A Season for Wishes
  • Everything I Left Unsaid (Everything I Left Unsaid, #1)
  • Small Hours: A Mrs. Frollein Collection:
  • Thorn
  • The Marriage Game
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1)
Jackie Lau decided she wanted to be a writer when she was in grade two, sometime between writing “The Heart That Got Lost” and “The Land of Shapes.” She later studied engineering and worked as a geophysicist before turning to writing romance novels.

Jackie lives in Toronto with her husband, and despite living in Canada her whole life, she hates winter. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking,

Holidays with the Wongs (4 books)
  • A Match Made for Thanksgiving (Holidays with the Wongs, #1)
  • A Second Chance Road Trip for Christmas (Holidays with the Wongs, #2)
  • A Fake Girlfriend for Chinese New Year (Holidays with the Wongs, #3)