Start by marking “Ivy” as Want to Read:

(Ivy #1)

The only beautiful thing in Ivy's drab life is her glorious red hair. At a young age, her locks made her the target of Carroty Kate, a 'skinner'. She recruited Ivy to help her coax wealthy children away from their nannies so that she could rob them. Now she has been spotted by a famous painter.
Published May 4th 2006 by Oxford University Press

To ask other readers questions about Ivy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ivy

Start your review of Ivy
travelmel
EDIT: BEGINING THE BOOK:
I've grown tired of the book I've been trying AND TRYING to read: Bitten - and I left the new Mortal Instruments book somewhere so I'm going to try this! The cover summary reminds me of the Gemma Doyle trilogy. Mysterious, supernatural/magic, nineteeth century England.

EDIT: FINISHED
OH I WAS HAD!! Swindled, Kaboozled.... I am so dumb! So I'm reading and reading and mark my words it's an enjoyable read BUT where was the magic? Where was the supernatural??? Where were my
Stephanie Graham Pina
Feb 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
I started this book wanting to love it because of its subject matter since the Pre-Raphaelites and Lizzie Siddal in particular are dear to my heart. I'm disappointed that I couldn't embrace it as much as I had hoped. I can't understand why the author couldn't use Rossetti's name. Repeatedly he is referred to as "the Italian". After the third or fourth reference, I was exasperated. After reading it so many times (the Italian, the Italian, the Italian) it just became an intrusive element in the ...more
Josie
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
I have no idea what was going on with this book. Every time I thought it was going to be one thing, it veered in a completely different direction. It had all the essential ingredients of a Victorian melodrama: an orphaned heroine, a den of thieves, laudanum addiction, pre-Raphaelite painters -- but it was so bizarre, and the writing so clunky, that it left me completely cold. I felt alienated from Ivy, who was very difficult to warm to. I found her vegetarianism unbelievable (as if a starving ...more
CLM
Morgan F
Ivy's life is far from picturesque. Orphaned at a young age, she moves in with her in-laws, a poor family of scoundrels. At the age of five, she runs away and finds herself an addition to a troupe of thieves, in particular, the "skinner" Carroty Kate. In order to silence Ivy's screams in the middle of the night caused by nightmares, Kate starts giving Ivy laudanum, one drop at time.

Eleven years later Ivy is back home with her family, when her bright red hair and pale beauty catches the eye of a
Anna Kim
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
There is a lot of historical, though not very descriptive, passages about Victorian England the pre-Raphaelite art movement, and the author's coyness about revealing the identity of "the Italian" gets tiresome pretty quickly, especially for those who studied English literature and was able to ascertain the name fairly early on.
This is a pretty typical story of a hard luck girl who, through sheer luck (and it was luck since Ivy is pretty dumb, not uneducated, though she is that, too) manages to
Mara
Cover Blurb: Not a fan of it; it leers, and it is really quite misleading about what sort of book it is. I was expecting something sappy, and horribly mushy, and probably even edgy, with more than one bedroom scene. Yeah, my expectations were not high, and now that I've read the book, I really think they ought to have chosen a different approach with the cover.

What I Liked: I love, absolutely love, Mrs. Frosdick! She is wonderfully horrid; I am seriously jealous of the Author for coming up with
Kristy
Jan 03, 2011 rated it liked it
When I picked this book out of my pile to read, I admit I judged the cover. I thought it was going to be a cheesy love story or be about some kind of jacked-up version of
Poison Ivy

But, I was way off.

Ivy is a girl living in London, with basically no one to care for her and no way of supporting her own self. One day she happens to meet a skinner, a robber of small children. But, this woman, this Kate takes a liking to the read-headed little Ivy and devises a plan to use her. She takes her in
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Hearn, Julie Ivy, 351 p. Atheneum (Simon), 2008.

Ivy lives with her aunt and uncle and their extensive amount of children in the the slums of England during the 1800's. As a child, Ivy was taken by a gang of thieves, but returned to her uncle's home after a couple of years. Now, eight years later, an artist has spied the beautiful, ethereal Ivy among the dirty streets and is determined to make her his model, not know that she comes with an addiction. Something about the artist and his household
Nafiza
Aug 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
Doesn’t the synopsis sound divine? I thought so too. I checked this book out from the library because the synopsis coupled with the cover won me over. There’s an ethereal sense about the girl on the cover, perhaps the curve of her cheeks that whispers of vulnerability and I’m going to wax poetic until I stop myself.

Okay, I’m done.

Anyway, the book didn’t deliver as I had hoped it would. It was sort of like seeing the potential, knowing it was in there but failing ultimately to find it manifested.
PurplyCookie
In true Dickensian manner, this atmospheric, richly detailed story takes readers from the slums to the upper-class locales of mid-1800s London. Ivy is a victim throughout much of the book, trying to escape villains who seek her demise. Orphaned and living with uncaring relatives, she runs away at the age of five, after bad experiences during her first day at school. She returned home a few years later, a laudanum addict.

At 15, she’s roused from her typical drugged state in order to earn money
Erin
May 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: yafiction
Ivy grew up in England in the mid-1800s. Orphaned and left with selfish relatives, she is given the opportunity to attend school; after a negative run-in with a woman who tries to force her to eat meat, she runs away. Ivy is taken in by a street gang and begins a different sort of life on the streets...

Fast-forward a number of years. Ivy is living with her relatives once again, when an artist inquires about her becoming his model. Although she may be stunning on the outside, there are many
Natalie  Sapkarov Harvey
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of A Great and Terrible Beauty, The Bell Jar, and Victorian writing
Recommended to Natalie by: saw it sitting on the shelf at Pages for All Ages
Once I figured out that this was not your average YA novel, I was better able to appreciate the story. Something of a Victorian-inspired with Oliver Twist and The Bell Jar elements, Ivy is a complex tale of its title character. From a poorer than poor family, to a school for wayward children, to a life on the streets with thieves and criminals, Ivy's first few years of life more than difficult and unfortunately formative. She spends the next ten years in a drunken stupor, and then is recognized ...more
Haley
Ivy is merely a poor relation in an already-poor family, and she's made to never forget it. But if she's anything it's irrepressible, even in the slums. She won't eat meat even though she's undernourished, and she doesn't take guff from anyone.

When she is noticed by an artist for her rare, incongruous beauty, she is given opportunity to model for him as Eve in The Fall. She takes it, and so do her housemates, who would pretty much force her to anyway- anything for a little extra cash.

This
April
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a girl just needs a really good work of historical fiction to ease her hectic life. Ivy by Julie Hearn was exactly what the doctor prescribed. First, there is the gorgeous cover, which actually kind of threw me. I went into the book expecting some sort of romance, just because there was a woman on the cover. Silly me. What I got in return was something much better.
Read the rest of my review here
Eve (Between The Bookends)
Apr 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one! It's very "Charles Dickenish" and set in one of my favorite periods (Victorian England.) The story begins with Ivy as a young girl and we follow her into adulthood as she gets into and out of trouble, meeting a cast of fun and quirky characters along the way. The only criticism I have about the book was it's ending. It seemed very abrupt and had me scratching my head over the inclusion of a couple characters whose presence didn't really add anything to the ...more
Ally
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Anne Osterlund
Jul 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Ivy

In Which a Young Girl Grows Up With a Dark Past, Is Hired to Work as a Model for a Not-So-Famous Painter, and Learns That the Most Dangerous Thing in the World can be a Jealous Mother.

OK, so my favorite parts of this book were all the chapter subheadings (see above), but I also loved Ivy. And her affinity for animals. This poor girl is forced to pose in a tablecloth with a boa constrictor around her feet! And there are people who are jealous!
X
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing wonderful, but entertaining enough and a quick read. The story was interesting, but I thought it could have been done better. There were things that seemed a bit out of place at the end, and there were a good many things I would have liked wrapped up better, though they were not so important to the plot. Still, there were a few sweet moments and overall it was an enjoyable diversion.
Caitlin
This was a strange book, first why would a staving, orphan girl become a vegetation? It doesn't make sense. Also a lot of the characters felt fake and had no redeeming factors. The story just didn't work for me even if I enjoyed how it ended. So not my type of book but may work for others.
Louise
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Kristen Fort
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical-ya
I decided to sleep on it before writing up my thoughts. Because last night the only review you would have gotten was "WTF this last page is about?" and "Why is this a series because it didn't seem to introduce something that would make this story continue?"

And after waking up, I think I would really give this 2.5 stars. I started Hazel last night and so far, the only thing that makes the two books remotely connected (currently on p. 12) is that Hazel's mother will feel bad for the horse.
Autumn Hazelwood
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit difficult to follow but overall an interesting story about the struggles of a time past.
Erin Woodall
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. The difference in behavior between the two sections of town were interesting. At first the poorer seemed to have the least morals, but you never know.
Matt Spencer
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Given the lurid pitch of this book from the friend who loaned it to me, and the profound effect it had on her artistic identity, I think I expected something a lot darker, sexier, bleaker, generally more dramatic. Which isn't to say this dampened my appreciation for what I got. Ivy has a rough go of life, but she's a resilient innocent, and there's a light sure-footedness to the narrative voice that finds warmth, humor and charm in even the most grotesque situations and characters, to where it ...more
Madly Jane

I bought this book because it is about a flaming-red headed girl who poses as a model for a Pre-Raphaelite wannabe in Dante Gabriel Rossetti's London.

However, the book is not about Rossetti or about art and so I was disappointed. But once I got past that, I became engaged in the story.

(NOTE: The author uses Omniscient POV, which is really the author and thus, there is never a deep narration. The author is telling the story with insights into all characters and so forth. It's much like
♥BookGeek♥
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Tasha for TeensReadToo.com

Ivy's life isn't exactly picturesque. At a very young age, she is orphaned and forced to live with her aunt, uncle, and cousins, who really can't afford to support another child. Once old enough, she is sent to school, but doesn't even last the whole day. While running from school her beautiful red hair makes Carroty Kate, a thief who literally steals the clothes off of people's backs, catch sight of her and snatch her up.

Forced into becoming a con artist,
Emilija
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-reads
Ivy was not my type of read because I really, really don't like reading books that are set in the Victorian era - I don't mind the genre it's just a personal preference. But despite my strong dislike for the Victorian times I did find myself enjoying the book at times. That's probably the only reason why I continued reading.

It is unfortunate to say, but there was no world building or character development. I understand why the author would think that no world building was needed - because it's
Elizabeth Pratt
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A Million More Pages: 1 - Ivy (Ivy): Apr 21 6 15 Mar 10, 2015 01:21PM

• Falling Angels
  • With All My Heart
  • Deep Dish
  • Hissy Fit
  • The New Rules of Pregnancy: What to Eat, Do, Think About, and Let Go Of While Your Body Is Making a Baby
  • Sovay
  • Anastasia's Secret
  • Petals on the Wind (Dollanganger, #2)
  • The Riven Kingdom (Godspeaker Trilogy, #2)
  • Dark Angel (Casteel, #2)
  • The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #1)
  • The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #2)
  • The Sandman: Book of Dreams
  • Broken Flower (Early Spring, #1)
  • Mail Order Bride
  • Empress (Godspeaker Trilogy #1)
  • Peach Blossom Pavillion
  • I, Coriander

Ivy (3 books)
  • Hazel
  • Rowan the Strange (Ivy, #3)
9 trivia questions