Start by marking “A Boy Called Preacher” as Want to Read:
A Boy Called Preacher

A Boy Called Preacher

Johnny “Preacher” Wilcox never planned on running a wheat farm at the age of twelve. When his father abruptly leaves the family on a Kansas farm during the height of World War II, Preacher is left with unanswered questions, wheat land to plow, and a broken tractor. The tractor mechanic is meaner than a bobcat, the creek is drying up, and Preacher’s best friend, Earl Floyd, ...more
Published May 16th 2020 by INtense Publications

To ask other readers questions about A Boy Called Preacher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Boy Called Preacher

Start your review of A Boy Called Preacher
Donna Borgerding
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This historical book takes us back to a simple time and place: a Kansas farm town during World War II. The gift of this book is that it presents us with the timeless issues of a father's abandonment and a boy who takes on the responsibilities of one much older.

In A Boy Called Preacher, by Cheryl Schuermann, we meet Johnny "Preacher" Wilcox. His father had given him the nickname Preacher when he was very young. As the story begins he wants to shed the nickname and asks others to call him Johnny.
Kasey Giard
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Southern fiction holds a special place in my heart, so when I read the first few pages of A BOY CALLED PREACHER, I knew I was hooked. Johnny’s southern voice and expressions had me grinning and laughing out loud. I loved the friendship between him and his dog Deke and even the complicated relationship he shares with Earl Floyd. The small Kansas town setting is vividly drawn and anchored in its World War II period.

The only struggle I had was that I wished there had been like 15 more pages to the
Jolene Gutiérrez
Mar 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
There's so much to love in this middle grade historical fiction that takes place in the 194os in Kansas. Johnny "Preacher" Wilcox's dad has abandoned his family, leaving Preacher as the man of the family. Luckily, Preacher has the support of his mom, his little brother Billy, his dog Deke, and his best friend Earl Floyd. But the tractor won't start, and their creek starts drying up, and the only way Preacher can make money is by shooting jackrabbits...but he only has 5 shells left. Add in a myst ...more
Laura Stegman
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Boy Called Preacher grabbed me from the first page. Its story comes alive right off with author Cheryl Schuermann's beautiful prose and Stan Schuermann's charming illustrations. In a tale set in Kansas during the hardships of World War 2, young Preacher, who prefers to be called Johnny (but no one does), has to grow up fast. His father's deserted him, his mom and his little brother, leaving the family in poverty and Preacher to run the farm by himself. He's beset by one challenge after another ...more
Kathie
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to the author for sending a copy of A BOY CALLED PREACHER to #bookportage.

Johnny became the man of the house when his dad left him, his mom, and his brother on the farm. With a tractor that’s not working, crops that need to be harvested, and a shortage of water, Johnny is way over his head in things that need to be managed. But when a stranger shows up and claims to know is dad, he has even more questions than answers.

This historical fiction story is an interesting look at what farm l
Mar 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
From big farm problems like fixing the tractor and digging a well, to smaller troubles like disappearing eggs and getting sprayed by a skunk, Preacher is a resourceful boy who's had to grow up too fast. Since his father ran off, he's been running the farm and helping his mother make ends meet. A BOY CALLED PREACHER takes readers on an emotional journey of self-discovery, understanding, and forgiveness as Preacher, his dog, and his best friend spend the summer farming, hunting, and problem-solvin ...more
Frank Morelli
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cheryl Schuermann's A Boy Called Preacher couldn't have possibly shown up on the radar at a better time in history than now. I can't wait to share this novel with my middle school students, who will be able to make many connections between it and their knowledge of WWII history, as they make comparisons to the kinds of tragedy and hardship that seems so ubiquitous in our world today. This is such a delightful novel that highlights the importance of friendship and support in our lives, and provid ...more
Mike Sherer
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable coming of age book. On a World War 2-era Kansas farm, young Preacher certainly has a hard row to hoe. His father has abandoned the family, the farm equipment is falling apart, and the pond their cows water at is drying up. But it’s not all doom and gloom as some of the neighbors, and a suspicious stranger, offer help. A heart-warming tale of a young boy forced to grow up quick and take over responsibility for the survival of his family and their farm.
Cassie Thomas
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Preacher has to take over the farm, becoming a man overnight, due to his father just up and leaving. So much is going wrong at the house. He has to fix a tractor and the mechanic is mean and Preacher does not enjoy spending any time with him. The pond is trying up. The well needs cleaned out.
An old house was abandoned and someone comes to ask questions about his family revealing a lot of information about his father, but not quite enough.
Bonnie Grover
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jackrabbits, snakes, skunks and mysterious strangers, sounds like the perfect combination for two friends. Preacher is trying to handle the responsibilities of the farm after his dad disappears. Unfortunately, Preacher is faced with wheat land to plow, a broken tractor and a best friend, Earl Floyd who may not be the friend he appears to be. This historical fiction book is a quick read that will appeal to a variety of readers.
Susan Gladhill
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Boy Called Preacher portrays a refreshing glimpse into the determination and character of a young boy overcoming difficulties in the 1940’s . Young Johnny Wilcox experiences many lively adventures while struggling with issues of helping his family survive difficult times . Lively discussions would most likely take place with upper grade elementary and middle school students as they identify with Johnny’s adventures, turmoil, friendship struggles and the triumph of overcoming adversity.
R.K. Emery
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
The characters in this book truly came to life. The story of life in a time that was challenging for everyone, including young boys.

Cheryl Schuermann has brought Preacher's story to life, making his journey appealing to young readers while depicting historical events that they should know about.

This is a lovely book. Highly recommend!
Dara Yoder
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cute, wholesome tale about a boy’s adventures - his best bud and dog follow! Cute, fun read!
Keely
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
A sweet story about a boy forced to grow up before his time. Preacher is smart and determined and I look forward to reading the next part of his story.
Elaine Pohle
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was such a delightful story. The illustrations made the characters come alive. I was sorry when I came to the end. Knowing it was based on relatives of the author made me appreciate it even more.
Ellen Anderson
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!It was s0 engaging I didn’t want to put it down. I think boys will love this story as there are many exciting events. I can’t wait for the sequel to come out!
Carol
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sweet story with interesting characters that teaches life lessons for any age. Looking forward to reading the next book!
Becky Powell Leitner
May 30, 2020
Danielle Hammelef
Feb 09, 2020
Cheryl Schuermann
Feb 11, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Alexis
Courtney Buley
Mar 31, 2021

• No Hugs!
  • Lupe Wong Won't Dance
  • Skunk and Badger (Skunk and Badger, #1)
  • Fighting Words
  • The Teachers March!
  • Over in the Woodland: A Mythological Counting Journey
  • Mindy Kim and the Yummy Seaweed Business (Mindy Kim, #1)
  • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • My Red Hat
  • A Computer Called Katherine: How Katherine Johnson Helped Put America on the Moon
  • Me & Mama
  • Before the Ever After
  • How to Catch a Clover Thief
  • The Tree in Me
  • The Beatles Were Fab  (and They Were Funny)
  • The Fearless Flights of Hazel Ying Lee