Start by marking “They Call Me Mad Dog!: A Story for Bitter, Lonely People” as Want to Read:
They Call Me Mad Dog!: A Story for Bitter, Lonely People

They Call Me Mad Dog!: A Story for Bitter, Lonely People (Mad Dog Rodríguez Trilogy #2)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  390 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
What do you do when love goes wrong? If you're Tomato Rodriguez, the reigning queen of motorcycle-riding, bicoastal bisexuals, you do every wrong thing there is to do. But what starts out as a small-scale revenge job complete with whipped cream, Bic ballpoints, and a monster truck, soon turns into a murder charge and a visit to the slammer with all the rest of the bad, bad ...more
Published April 18th 2001 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about They Call Me Mad Dog!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Call Me Mad Dog!

Ab
I want to like these novels way more than I end up liking them. They're so cool looking and
"underground-guerilla-art-shocking" but they end up being "OK" like the rating I gave.

I do, however, like the last paragraph:

"Well, so there's my cautionary tale. Not real sure what the point was, so whatever you got out of it, you got out of it. It's the written equivalent of the Rorschach test. It is what it is. What you didn't get out of it wasn't there.

Live and be well."
Magdalena
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Why doesn't everyone know about Erika Lopez? Thoroughly entertaining and I'm going to read everything she's written.
Vivian Sophia
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
was entertaining in a deranged sort of way. Rather punk.
jack
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
not as good as the first book in the trilogy, at all. mostly boring. and hard to read because the author's style is very meandering, which usually i like (and not just because it's how i talk), but it was like no one was driving and the car was just going, you know what i mean? like, fucking get an editor all ready. not every damn thing you think of should be put in the book. and also get an editor because you've made like five big mistakes that leave inconsistancies in the plot or are just so u ...more
Stylo Fantome
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the weirdest books I've ever read - and I have read some weird shiza.

The story of Tomato and how she maybe might have kinda sorta accidentally killed her girlfriend, though she's pretty sure she didn't. The book covers her stint in jail, the joys of being a telemarketer within the prison system, her job as a penis sculptress, and humane ways to get rid of crabs. Er ..., huh?

But it is also one of the FUNNIEST books I've ever read, with crazy illustrations to go along with it.

If you
Center for Sex & Culture Library + Archives
Donated by T.McCarthy, March 2013

I couldn't bring myself to donate this book, but, I found it very important to give it to the CSC library community by virtue of its realness, relevancy to sex and culture as told from the brilliant Erika Lopez who has traveled the world. Her raw accounts are aching to be scratched by your nails--gripping the pages. Sexy, hot, and then some.

Don't steal this book. The illustrations and typesetting alone can be dreadfully ripped from the book and plastered with wh
Bob Hartley
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I never thought I'd encounter someone (fictional or otherwise) who also likes the words "diddling" for fingering and "spooging" for ejaculating. Her metaphors and similes are everything I like about MF DOOM and Xiu Xiu and I thoroughly enjoyed her bitter, sarcastic tone. Hints of what seems to me to be a woman writer thing, blatantly acknowledging her own downfalls and basing a story around her own clumsiness. Spooging great read though. I really like the production value as well. I can use this ...more
nicole
May 07, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
I loved Flaming Iguanas, but I just wasn't feeling this. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood. Maybe I didn't give it a chance. Maybe it was because it began with her working in a dildo factory... Who can say? I'm convinced we'll be reunited someday though, Mad Dog. I haven't given up. Not completely, anyway.
sylas
Dec 03, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: someone who'd like a quick, queer read
This book kept me busy on the bus ride to and from work for a few days. It wasn't spectacular, but it was okay. Entertaining, at least.

I am a bit disappointed by this novel, actually. I really liked Flaming Iguanas and expected Mad Dog to be similarly fun and adventurous. Not so. I still found it to be worth reading, just not mesmerizing.
Sharon
Oct 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Cool girls
Shelves: humor, fiction
Second in the trilogy, read Flaming Iguanas first, then this, and then Hoochie Mama.

I read this before I ever read anything by her and it stands perfectly well on its own. Hilarious and scathing.
AE
part deux of the Tomato Rodriguez trilogy (as it says in the title) and I don't know, it's not my favorite. It's definitely not as frantic as the first or as moving as the last. It's not like Empire Stikes back at all. More like Rocky II. You need it in order to have you know, Rocky III.
Bridget
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books, truetrue
I read this in college after stumbling across the first book. I really liked her graphic design skills and lay out and the pictures and text mixed in together but the story didn't do much for me at all. It's been years; I was impressionable.
Lea
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
For me as a non-native speaker, They call me mad dog was more difficult to read than its predecessor Flaming Iguanas. I can't quite explain why, maybe there were more allusions I didn't understand. Anyway, a book very well worth to read!
Phil Williams
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A crazy, perverse thrill ride with a half nuts lesbian named Tomato Rodriguez who is a penis sculpture by trade and ends up in jail after abducting her ex-girlfriend with a can of whipping cream. One of the nastiest and most fun books I've read in a while.
Damien
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've given 5 stars in a loooooong time. Her humor is better than Margaret Cho and Sarah Silverman combined. The book is written like a zine, except that it doesn't bore you to death or make you want to kill the person who wrote it.
Keynequiroga
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ERIKA LOPEZ, I LOVE YOU!
Violet
May 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Weird enough that I couldn't stop reading it. Not sure I'd recommend it to anyone specific.
jenn
Dec 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bitter and lonely people
again, hilarious like flaming iguanas. more fabulous images.
Cher
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, homosensual
This book is so wrong that it circles all the way back around to being right. I like it the way I like Dunn's Geek Love, gasping all the way, thinking oh no she didn't?!?!
Marlin Bressi
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Based on the story alone, I'd give this book a solid three star rating. However, the kitschy drawings inside make this book well worth the $13 I paid for it.
Esther Marie
Jan 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
Tried to take this for what it was and enjoy the journey, but this was just a painful read, and a waste of time.
Whitney
Jun 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ladies
Best book in the series. Must read!
Christine
Jul 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Ladies
Laugh your ass off funny. Read this!!
John
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
totally whacked funny--progressive potty mouth--think Margret Cho-- times x 3....
Kim
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was was so much fun to read. It has everything a girl can want: lesbian sex, fake penises, circumcision, and revenge.
Feb 28, 2012
  • Wild Dogs
  • How I Created My Perfect Prom Date
  • Missed Her
  • Macho Sluts: Erotic Fiction

Mad Dog Rodríguez Trilogy (3 books)
  • Flaming Iguanas: An Illustrated All-Girl Road Novel Thing