Start by marking “Broken (Cursed, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken (Cursed, #1)

Broken

(Cursed #1)

Nick Fairfax vows to do whatever Lord Bane Dunsaney desires for one year. In exchange, Nick’s family gets a chance to regain their fortune. Is this the worst mistake of Nick’s life, or will it lead to a love only found in fairy tales? A modern, M/M retelling of Beauty & The Beast.

Sensitive, aspiring photographer Nick Fairfax wants nothing to do with his family's
Published June 1st 2016 by Raythe Reign Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Broken, please sign up.
Cassady I don't know if you already found out that book 2 has been released yet, but if you haven't here is the link on goodreads …moreI don't know if you already found out that book 2 has been released yet, but if you haven't here is the link on goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... (less)

Start your review of Broken (Cursed, #1)
Ula'ndi Hart
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-audio, lgbtq
Overall book rating: 3.8
Audio Book: (Narrator) Michael Pauley – Mixed feelings 3 – 4 Stars
Book Cover: 3

CLIFFIE ALERT!!!!!!!
There. I said it and now I feel better.

Okay. So basically I was in the mood for a little sappy Beauty and the Beast. Hence the fact that deep down I truly wasn’t expecting a great deal from the book. I was pleasantly surprised though.

I like the whole Bengal Tiger thing. Partly because it’s a “new” spin on the whole “beast” thing, and partly because WHO DOESN”T LOVE WHITE
⚣Michaelle⚣
I have to say, as much as I dislike the Disney versions of Fairy Tales, I really did like this re-telling of Beauty and the Beast...and I'm definitely going to listen to the next one because OMG cliffhanger anyone?

I'm not sure I'd have it in me to forgive my family if they'd treated me like Nick's treated him, or if they had such a dearth of morals, compassion, empathy...you know, the emotions that make people likeable (to me anyway). But I understand why he's still seeking their acceptance,
Eric Westfall
If you want to read part of a book instead of a novel, with a cliffhanger ending and no idea when, if ever, the second book will be published, go ahead and buy. But since this is the second book from this author and this publisher where I got cliffhangered when I believed I'd purchased a complete novel, I'm buying nothing more from this company or by this author until the advertising reflects the facts. For all I know, it could take 3 or 4 or 5 books to actually finish this story. (The other ...more
Line
This book is a better take on a fairytale than Tara Lain's Beauty, Inc.... BUT it is a take on an already known story, which can be... Boring.

So Nick is the Beauty in this one, he's the youngest of 3 brothers and of course a fair, sensitive soul. Their mother died when Nick was 9, and he has been on the outskirts of the family ever since.
His brothers are manipulative, greedy and all-around douchebags, JUST LIKE their father.
Nick has been given an ultimatum: 'Give up your foolish dreams of
Paul
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
AUDIOBOOK 3 STARS, for tacky musical chapter changes
Story 4 STARS

for UF lovers only oh and shifters and folk lore curses too. It kept my attention throughout and I'm really interested for the sequel, as it should be a direct follow on and things just started to get very interesting
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this alot, the characters are beautifully developed, as you can imagine the story is kind of set to beauty and the beasts pace but incredibly different too.

Nick Fairfax has agreed to stay with Bane as an intern in order to save his family but as the thin line between love and hate snaps Bane and nick start to discover each other in a different light.

Throw in the immortal spirit of a Bengal tiger and a Butler/priest and you have an amazing story.

It is the first M/M Romance i have read
Kathleen
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Aug 2017: DNF 15% Audiobook

Two things. One, as I suspected, the narrator's performance in monotonic. Two, his vocal range is narrow as several characters are difficult to distinguish.

Note: Even though the ebook desperately needed a good editor, I quite enjoyed it.

March 2019: Listening to the audiobook AND ENJOYING IT! Still not a fan of Michael Pauley.
Diane Dannenfeldt
I really enjoyed the story once I got past the beginning and Nick being just an ass. Yes it ends in a cliff hanger. What I really disliked is the music between chapters. Off to the next book in this series.
P.A. Lupton
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. It was sweet and I loved the paranormal aspect of this story, as well as the family dynamics. My only complaint is that I would not have read it knowing where the story ended. I would have preferred to read this novel after the second was already released.
Jen4607
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, shifter
I hate cliff hangers! Especially when there's no note in the book descriptions letting you know.
Sydnee
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yasss!

The plot:
A retelling that is recognizable without being overdone. The pace is realistic, the tension is built believably, and the whole thing leaves you eager to read more. The cliffhanger is a little brutal, but on to the second book I go, because I can’t put it down.

The sex:
MxM, sensual, no kink, well done and believable, appropriately spaced for the plot, solid enjoyment

The characters:
All the characters are surprisingly well-developed. Their personalities ring true, their quirks are
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
I don’t normally choose this type of story, the retelling of a fairytale but I decided to give it a whirl. Millionaire and mystery man Bane offers unloved or wanted Nick a chance to save his cruel family from total failure - one year in servitude. Bane is scarred and angry at the world. My take on Nick is he’s a meek lil fella who almost felt like a woman, almost. I’d probably get over all my quibbles about the story and just go with the flow if the author, X. Aratare didn’t have the habit of ...more
Sylvia Wilson
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
RECOMENDED

I absolutely love this series and am craving the next book. Such a wonderful author overall. From all the books I have read, this author writes the best heart filling and heart breaking stories. NEED more!
Kathleen
I have a few niggles, and the author is in dire need of a good editor, but I enjoyed the story and look forward to the next one.
Coco.V
Jan 02, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (1/2/2020)! ...more
Maberan Potato
So this was pretty nice, especially after all the shit I've been reading.

The characters were fun, especially Bane. He's this giant guy complexed about his scar and very tsundere which is cute and funny but he's also this billionaire protector of the weak who hunts loan sharks and other tigers. Compared to him Nick was very one-dimensional tho? Like he likes photography, wishes to be loved by his dad and doesn't know where he's going in life. Oh and he's really hot. Pretty basic.

I wouldn't call
Morgan  Skye
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In what is a familiar story to anyone whose read or watch Beauty and the Beast, Nick is “given” to Bane for a year of indentured servitude so that Nick’s family can regain a chance at their family fortune.

Bane hates Nick’s family for it’s greed and avarice and lumps Nick in with the bunch. Nick, on the other hand, is actually nothing like his family and is actually about to split with them due to these differences. But when faced with the option of helping them out he chooses family loyalty over
BitWrangler
I purchased this book under false pretenses. I always select books (hardcover, paperback, or ebook) based solely on the blurb. After more than a half-century of reading, I know what I want to read. I do not rely on others' opinions, as we readers approach life from an individual and highly unique perspective. So, if the blurb calls to me, I buy the book—as I did in this case.

The blurb included the sentence, "A modern, M/M retelling of Beauty & The Beast." That is a lie. This book is the
Artemisia
Just like other readers, I'm only rating this 2 stars for the cliffhanger.
It's not a bloody manga where I have to wait for the next chapter to be written and published.
Also, it isn't fanfiction where the author leaves the story unfinished or in cliffhangers.
Other authors have used their couple, made them go through loops to find their HEA but they leave each book with at least an HFN. Which here, neither were present.
So maybe it's because it's late but I thought this was a long book and for
Donald
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, this was an audiobook but that edition has not been added yet...

The entire premise of this book was fantastic...indentured servitude, undeniable attraction met with a refusal to accept. I loved the adventure that the author was taking us on...but...the ending of this book sucked, with a big ole exclamation point! I wanted an happily ever after and I was left hanging. It was not until I reread the publisher summary that I realized that it was the first part of a three part series...that
Seregil
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: slash-fantasy, mm
I love MM versions of classical stories. Some are very refreshing, including this one, with an interesting take on the circumstances and effects of the curse. The "beauty" is a guy with the misfortune of having a horrible family, but that has kept himself pure heated in a modern sense: he wants to believe in humanity and love, he lives for his art and honestly cherishes his friends.

It ends in a cliffhanger and the next book is not yet released :( but it's a retelling of Beauty and the Beast so
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
I don't know.

Some of this was really interesting, and it sped right by...but I wasn't expecting a cliff hanger.
I liked it...but not enough for me to throw down my planned tbr, and jump into book 2.

It's a bit of slow burn. There are some dreams.

I don't know how I feel about Bane. He seems a little cold. He is protecting Nick, but he's cold even to his so called friends.
Deirdre Ellison
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!

An excellent re-telling of beauty & the beast. Nick & Bane had excellent chemistry, and I loved that Nick was not afraid to stand up to Bane. I cannot wait for the next book. EXCELLENT READ!!
B
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. Very good and audio , not a stand alone .
Wild Flower
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow

one of the best books I have read in a while, in an eagerly awaiting part 2 of this series!!
Bethany  T
Come back to this author. Really want to know what happens next. Withholding higher rating till I see how it plays out.
Carol (bookish_notes)
I’ve read my fair share of Beauty and the Beast retellings and they’re usually problematic in some way because of the source material, and I’m fine with that. But this is by far the WORST. If I kept reading it, it would 100% be a 1-star for me, so I’m stopping while I can.

Spoilers ahead.

Nick is the youngest of three, and his mother died when he was younger. He’s the artsy one of the family while his older brothers and father are venture capitalists and take great glee in destroying companies
Ria the Reader
Nick Fairfax didn’t want to spend a year at Bane’s home. But to save his family, he was willing to sacrifice a year of his life.

This was an enthralling book, right from the start. A cool twist on a favorite classic fantasy of mine, where two men play the characters of Bell and Beast. There were several nods towards the original story, but the author seemed to make it her own in its own way as well. I definitely liked Nick best, as Bane was not just a cool shape-shifting immortal that’s been
Fran
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the most interesting and coolest renditions of beauty and the beast I have ever read. Not just because it was a male/male couple but because in the span of a few days so very much happens in such detail it's like being there to watch it unfold. It was an absolutely amazing read. It flowed wonderfully, the formatting and grammar were perfect (I only mention because if you read my last review you know it can be confusing when it is not properly seen to).

Bane was a mess. The beast
Amy
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, mlm
Beauty and the Beast retellings! One of my favourite fairytales. This is a shifter m/m Beauty and the Beast retelling following our main characters, Nick and Bane.

After Nick's family's business becomes indebted to Bane, they make a deal so that Nick has to go and live with Bane in order to work off that debt.
I really liked the setting and the backstory of Bane, the plot was entertaining and fast moving. The romance wasn't really for me though.

To be honest, there were a couple of things I didn't
« previous 1 3 next »

• Omega Society Auction: Book One (Rourke #1)
  • Prince of Death (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • Human Omega: Discovered on the Slave Planet (Pykh, #1)
  • His Biggest Secret (Portville Omegaverse, #1)
  • Quill Me Now (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #1; Bad Valentine, #2)
  • The Necromancer's Reckoning (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #3)
  • The Necromancer's Dilemma (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #2)
  • Forever Moore
  • Hell to Pay (Hellhound Champions #2)
  • His First Christmas (His First, #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • A King to be Claimed (Our King, Our Master #1)
  • Knight's Fire (Scales of Honor #1)
  • Jon's Crazy Head-Boppin' Mystery (Jon's Mysteries, #2)
  • Hell on Earth (Hellhound Champions, #1)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • NoX
X. Aratare is the pseudonym for Raythe Reign's Gay(M/M) books.

Cursed (3 books)