Start by marking “Odriel's Heirs (Odriel's Heirs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Odriel's Heirs (Odriel's Heirs, #1)

Odriel's Heirs

(Odriel's Heirs #1)

The brave, burning with fire, harnessed the Dragon's Rage....

As the Dragon Heir, seventeen-year-old Kaia inherited the power of flame to protect her homeland from a godlike necromancer’s undead army. But after centuries of peace, the necromancer has faded to myth, and the Dragon Heir is feared by the people. Persecuted and cast out, Kaia struggles to embrace and control
Expected publication: March 1st 2020 by Amazon KDP

To ask other readers questions about Odriel's Heirs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odriel's Heirs

Start your review of Odriel's Heirs (Odriel's Heirs, #1)
Tanja Glavnik
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I very kindly received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a very solid, lovely fantasy book read. You can certainly see elements of influence from other fantasy stories, but it can stand on its own two legs VERY well and remains distinct from the others. The premise is fairly simple: a "dark lord" was vanquished, or at the very least banished, but he is now rising again, and the descendants who possess the powers to stop him must do so before he actually succeeds. In
Jack Kuhn
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a solid, fast-paced, high-fantasy story with a bit of a "Dungeons and Dragons" feel to it. Readers who like fantasy stories with strong female protagonists and a lot of detailed action will enjoy this work. As one specific example, if you liked “The Deed of Paksenarrion” by Elizabeth Moon (in fact, if you liked anything by Elizabeth Moon) you’ve got a good chance of liking this. I rated this as 4.5/5 (solid read, a few rough edges).

Disclaimer before I go on: I received a free digital
Bam Jam
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
TW: violence, blood, mild gore, death of a child (not depicted), body horror, suicide, use of torture (not depicted), blood

Disclaimer: I received an ARC copy of this book from the author. Thank you to Hayley Reese Chow for the opportunity to provide an honest review.

Ms. Chow reached out to me with a copy of her novel, and because the premise promises a fun fantasy adventure, I jumped at the chance to give it a try.

What I Liked

-This book gives me such Sabriel vibes in the way the story structured
Raquel Evans
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall, I enjoyed this one. There were stretches toward the beginning where I wasn't very engaged with the story, even though I liked the idea of it--to be honest, it was really when the thread of romantic sub-plot showed up that I finally got super invested in the story. ;-)

Other than the slow bits (not really slow, just... not grabbing my interest?) and the bit where she gets life advice that ties everything together for her, that felt a bit cheesy to me, it was a really solid fantasy
Marshall Daley
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

Odriel's Heirs is the story of Kaia and Klaus, two of three mystical Heirs to powers designed to fight an army of intelligent undead and their master, Nifras. Along the way, they face corrupt politicians, monsters, and their own insecurities in the face of the mounting enemy army.

This book plays out much like the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, but in a world built out like Avatar: the Last Airbender. Chow has drawn from a
Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†
This book seemed really promising.
I liked the storyline and the plot behind it but I felt like it lacked a bit in a couple of places and was to fast in others. I can't seem to really put my finger on it but I really expected more from it.

I really wanted to connect with all the characters and see relationships blossom but sadly I think the only relationship that blossomed was actually at the end. While I'm very happy they ended up together, I wasn't expecting it. I kept forgetting they weren't
Julie (Bookish.Intoxication)
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I first started this book, I was dubious if I'd finish it. It was more high-fantasy than I was expecting and in that style, I did find it quite wordy. But I pushed on and I am so glad that I did.

Odriel's Heirs is a tale of finding yourself, standing your ground and fighting for what you believe in. It is a tale of passion, of fear and of love.

Throughout this high fantasy novel we catch glimpses of Kaia in such a vulnerable way. It reminds us how much humanity plays a part in all things.
Abigail
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was very sceptical to read a fantasy type book as I usually read romance. But from the onset I was captivated by the tale of Kaia and Klaus and the story unfolding about the heirs.

It is amazing how Hayley Reece Chow manages to mesmerize you from page 1 and every fact you read ties in till the very last page. Nothing is said by chance.

I can absolutely relate to the character of Kaia that is depicted through various stages of adolescences and coming to realize that she is meant to have such a
Pages For Thoughts
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This book's fast pace and epic battle in the first few pages surprised me, and I quickly became engrossed in Kaia's story. She had extreme inner conflict and self-hatred and fear of her powers, and I loved her character development as she learned to embrace her fire and her destiny. By the end, her fire and confidence in herself was so powerful that she could be a true goddess. The cover art is beautiful and the fire was beautiful, yet powerful- just like Kaia.

The world-building was incredible
Aizlynne
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Odriel's Heirs is a fantasy, enemies too lovers sweet romance. It was a really well written story with plenty of action and heartache surrounding the blossoming love of the two main characters. I wouldn't quite qualify the ending as a cliffhanger, rather a good segue into book two. The mythology and characters were well developed. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Lea Leviosa
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Odriel's Heirs is about the adventures of two mystical heirs out of three - the Dragon and Shadow heir to fight an undead army and their master, Nifras. It's all about the difficulty and biggest challenges of 17 y/o girl to defeat the monster.

Reading this book is such riding a roller coaster. Purely amazing! I love the combination of the epic and slow flow between each story. You can feel a variety of emotions too. I like it when you can feel the rage, angst, heart-breaking, loved etc.

Although
Sara
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The author provided me with an advanced copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this book more than I expected to. It told an amazing story and it doesn't read like an author's first novel. While not perfect, it's a solid, enjoyable story. I recommend it to any fantasy reader that finds the premise intriguing. I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel's release, which doesn't have a release date, but the author has announced that there will be one.

My full review can be found here
Ben Gartner
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow! This book is a wild ride for lovers of YA fantasy. It has it all — the badass heroine, intimate character development, epic battles with the undead and shape-shifting demons, and even some good light-hearted humor. This isn’t even my preferred genre, but I appreciated how the author could paint a mental picture or turn a phrase. I could tell she had fun writing it and I had fun reading this action adventure novel full of twists and surprises.
StarredPages
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 Stars.
Check out my review here:
I was provided with a free copy of this book in exchange for abd honest review.
Louise
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-books
Originally posted on my blog here!

A fast-paced high fantasy that features many themes, including themes such as finding one's self, insecurity, grief, and passion.

Chow has intricately woven such themes in a way that makes the characters truly realistic and made me hooked. The world-building was also quite descriptive, and made the book have a lot more context to me, stopping me from getting confused- as is often the case for me and high fantasy.

The war scenes also felt more realistic rather than
Michelle
Chantal
Feb 16, 2020
Iseult Murphy
Feb 21, 2020

• A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Dear Edward
  • Dry
  • A Room of One's Own
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Windward
  • Pride and Pancakes: Inspired by Pride and Prejudice (Happily Ever Austen Book 1)
  • The Astrid Notes
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • M-9: A Chelmin and Spaulding CID Mystery (Chelmin & Spaulding CID Mysteries Book 1)
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.5)
  • Reaching First (The Diamond Brides, #3)
  • 2019 on Goodreads
  • Fae of the North (Court of Crown and Compass Book 1)
  • Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts (Steampunk Proper Romance #4)
  • The Court of Mortals (Stariel #3)
  • Scorpio's Grace: Book One in the Scorpio's Grace Saga
  • Esme's Wish (Esme Series #1)
Hayley Reese Chow has short and flash fiction featured or upcoming in Lite Lit One, The Drabble, Bewildering Stories, Teleport Magazine, and Rogue Blades Entertainment’s omnibus, AS YOU WISH!

Until recently though, she’s mostly done a lot of things that have nothing at all to do with writing. Her hat collection includes mother, wife, engineer, USAF veteran, reservist, four-time All American fencer,