Start by marking “Cruel: One Child's Story To Survive” as Want to Read:
Cruel: One Child's Story To Survive

Cruel: One Child's Story To Survive

A harrowing, yet inspiring true story of a young girl's abusive childhood, from new author Denise Richardson. Denise endured emotional and physical cruelty and molestation at the hands of her mother and her drunken boyfriends. In an environment full of toxic emotions and violence, her survival depended on navigating daily, a safe passage through the basest of human behavio ...more
Published December 30th 2019 by New Horizon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Cruel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cruel

Start your review of Cruel: One Child's Story To Survive
Scotty
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In many ways, this is a remarkable book. The author (Denise Richardson) has managed to balance the horror of her childhood through the lense of time, wisdom and forgiveness. In places, it is utterly heartbreaking and the gripping nature of her story made it difficult to put down. The book is a page-turner, for all the right reasons.

Her story is a triumph of the human spirit and keenly demonstrates what can be done, if we only truly believe in ourselves. I understand the author is a coach, mentor
Sandra Burns
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great success story

Young girl, lived with her abusive, alcoholic Mother. She and her brother, were both treated horribly. However, she got away from her Mom. The lessons she learned, growing up, helped her to persevere and succeed.
Julie Haigh
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good read. Terrible times, to triumph.

I can't remember where I heard of this book-it might have been advertised, or perhaps came up as a Hot New Release in memoirs on amazon? I had added it to my list, noticed when it was on a promo, and grabbed a copy. I have many many kindle books where I have stocked them up like this, and it is usually quite some time later when I get to them. This book 'pulled me' and I ended up reading it straight after I got it.

The author suffered neglect and abuse at t
J.P. Willson
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
To say that I enjoyed this book would be a lie. For it's content anyway.
No one should have to be subject to this kind of abuse, for any reason. It is unfortunately all to common, thankfully not as much as when this took place, yet still.
Other than some grammatical issues this is a well written memoir that must have been a heart-wrenching reminder for the author. That though, in and of itself is some of the strongest therapy there is. This becomes quite evident in the way Ms. Richardson seems to
Lisa Brown
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
I found this really hard to follow. The book kept jumping in time, which when done properly can be really great, but it wasn’t well explained at which point of the writers life we were at. Also, the numerous grammar and punctuation mistakes made it really difficult to read at times as it just didn’t make sense or flow in certain points.
The story itself was good.
Lyndsey hopkinson
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreakingly amazing story

I loved this book! It is heartbreaking yet inspiring, I cried, smiled and felt proud. It just goes to show that no matter what, being kind, courageous, resilient and brave always wins!
Odette Linnane
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Had me thinking all along

A great book. Had me thinking all the way to the end. Clear and easy to read. Only disappointed in the ending, it didn't mention if she married or had a family. 4/5 for that reason
Sammi
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A truly inspiring woman

What a story, gripping read from start to finish. A true inspiration that shows behaviour doesn't breed behaviour. Denise Richardson you should be amazingly proud.
Mrs Karen
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
a good read how a young girl is brought up by an abusive alcoholic mother ,she manages to get away and lives in a children's home ,and managed to turn her life into a successful happy one while forgiving those that give her an unhappy start in.life well done
H R Gifford
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
An impactful story that must have been hard to write. I have given 4 stars because there were times I would have like more context or detail.
skinny
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good read

I thought this was a good read,fascinating insight on a child's upbringing with an alcoholic mother and violent father and how she came out the other end.
Lisa Gatts
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cruel

A very well written memoir about this poor woman's childhood.very very good read. And Ive read alot of these type of book
ARLENE STURROCK
Feb 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
Boring

Don't waste your time I kept thinking it would get better .No story here just normal upbringing loads of people had .
dave russell
Mar 02, 2020
Beryl Clayton
Mar 24, 2020

• My So Called Mum: Child abuse, Love & My Great Britain
  • Body for Rent: The terrifying true story of two ordinary girls sold for sex against their will
  • The Broken Road Home: A True Story
  • Pain: A memoir of an abused child
  • Wicked Girl
  • Did You Hear Me Crying? (The Heartbreaking True Story of a Child Abused) - Child Abuse True Stories
  • Cornered: The Painful True Story of My Child Abuse Hell (Child Abuse True Stories)
  • Unforgivable
  • The Cupboard Under the Stairs: A Boy Trapped in Hell...
  • No Justice: A heart wrenching true story of abuse of a twelve-year-old child
  • Child Abuse True Stories: DOCTOR'S ORDERS (The child abuse scandal they tried to cover up!)
  • I bunkerläkarens våld
  • Nasty Little Girl: A Story Of Child Sexual Abuse
  • "Hands up if you like Jill": Memoirs of growing up with an alcoholic mother and an abusive stepfather - How I survived
  • Not To Blame - Maggie Hartley ebook short
  • Survivor: From childhood abuse to a life of crime and prostitution
  • Breaking The Silence
  • HIM: A True Story Of Love & Fear
Cruel: One child's story to survive, is Denise Richardson's first book and it has taken twenty years for her to finally share the inspiring story of her harrowing childhood. Despite inauspicious beginnings, Denise has enjoyed careers as a nurse, a police officer, and was a successful business executive.

News & Interviews