Start by marking “Too Good To Be True” as Want to Read:
Too Good To Be True

Too Good To Be True

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  17,845 ratings  ·  1,189 reviews
When Grace Emerson's ex-fiancé starts dating her younger sister, extreme measures are called for. To keep everyone from obsessing about her love life, Grace announces that she's seeing someone. Someone wonderful. Someone handsome. Someone completely made up. Who is this Mr. Right? Someone...exactly unlike her renegade neighbor, Callahan O'Shea. Well, someone with his looks ...more
Published January 27th 2009 by HQN (first published 2009)

·  17,845 ratings  ·  1,189 reviews

Melissa
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just in case my other reviews of her books haven’t adequately conveyed my feelings, I’m completely smitten with Kristan Higgins’ storytelling—the sarcastic humor, the big beating heart at the center of it all, and her always easy to adore characters, seem to get me every time.

Seven books in and it’s quite clear she has a formula to her madness:

-There’s always a 30-something woman looking to settle down (time's a tickin')
-The man this so-called woman wants to end up with (let’s be honest, she’s o
BookLover
When it comes to writing a review about a Kristan Higgins book, I honestly feel like a broken record. All of the things I love about her other books, I loved about this book. From the community of characters that give me a sense of belonging while I tag along for the story, to my feelings of wanting to defend the heroine against all of the situations and peopler doing her wrong. Too Good To Be True was no exception.

This story, told in the first person, was about Grace Emerson. Grace, when she wa
Tammy
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Grace Emerson is a history teacher at a stuffy prep school, devoted sister and daughter, and a Civil War buff (who participates in re-enacting the battles), but she also has a small problem: she invents imaginary boyfriends in time of crisis. For instance, in middle school she wanted to be accepted by the cool kids, so she invented an older, much cooler boyfriend who attended a different school. Worked like a charm. The same thing worked for her in high school when she invented a beautiful, Fren ...more
Quirky and funny, Too Good to Be True is another Kristan Higgins winner. The heroine is a character easy to understand and empathize with, even if she does present herself as a major doormat at times. The admirable theme that runs throughout this novel and its main characters is the loyalty and protectiveness of family, even when loved ones don't deserve or return it. Overall, I found this adult romance standalone to be an easy and enjoyable reading experience. If you're a Kristan Higgins fan, d ...more
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
I should have thought this book was Too good to be true..After reading the title.Seriously :(

description

This story might have had a history teacher and an ex-convict..but I only ended up like the dog....I know :/

Initally, I picked up this book with high expectations in regards of humor and romance but ended up being thoroughly disappointed until the very end..soo very boring.

In facy,Im pretty sure I cultivated a migraine,after skimming through the glowed up pages on my phone....

So yes well.As the title so
Lili
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
The writing was good but the plot was not very... believable?, interesting?, appealing?
And the characters... well.. I liked the dog!

I loved Cal until the lying thing, then he went bersek and made a huge deal about someting so stupid!, the whole scene didn't make sense to me.

Grace... ugh! I just feel soooo sorry for Grace, she's so busy worrying about what other people think of her that she forgets about living and ejoying life.
But forget about that, my main problem with Grace is the fact that h
Vintage
Grace feels the need to once again create a fictional beau. It worked when she was a girl and a teen, and it should work now. This time it's to fend off the sympathy and concern generated by friends and family because her fiancee cried because he fell in love with her perfect little sister. (For once, little sis is not a conniving bitch and genuinely loves Grace, but, heh, Grace still got dumped three weeks before her wedding.)

Grace's lies take little effort as she's been down this road before,
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
Bastante mejor de lo que esperaba (aunque debo reconocer que esperaba poco XD)
Didi
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, betrayal
Once again, I'm reminded why I'm such a fan of Kristan Higgins. Her work just resonates with me. Loved this book although it was lighter on the emotional angst than her usual fare--and that's okay. You can't always have us in tears, Kristan!
This time around we're treated to a sexy neighbour next door in the form of Callahan O'Shea. Even his name is sexy! One hockey stick injury from a freaked out Grace Emerson, and Cal falls hard. Poor Grace is trying to get past being dumped for her sister...t
Karen
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I admit it. I'm just a sappy romantic at heart. How I love these books!
Mojca
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of smart, funny, funky chick-lit
Meet Grace Emerson. She's thirty, she's a prep school history teacher, Civil Was enthusiast, member of a Civil War reenactment group, proud Highland Terrier owner, old Victorian house owner, middle child, jilted three weeks before the wedding...But that was more than a year ago.

Now, her ex-fiancé is dating her younger sister (that's the reason he broke up with her), she's indulging in too much Ben and Jerry's, she invented a boyfriend so people wouldn't pity her, and she recently assaulted her h
Camila, the opinionated Catruler

So, here is the thing... I like cats. In case my name hadn't clued you in, yes, I'm a cat person.

When I go to other people's houses, I either glare at their dogs or run from them. Even the ones I like, I would never have. Dogs are smelly, drool and require more attention than what I'm willing to give to anything alive.

And seriously, some dogs are cute. But cats? Way cuter!

Kristan Higgins is a dog person. I knew this going in. This is not the first KH book I read. Plus, every single one
A_Ryan
4 "God's Nightgown! It's another fake boyfriend!!" stars.

Best bit: It's a toss up between Higgins' sarcastic humour, heartfelt storylines, and the heroine (Grace). It's not often that I like the heroine more than I do the hero but I really felt a tremendous connection with the adorable civil war buff. Perhaps it's because I share her love for Gone with the Wind (I often refer to Rhett Butler as my most favourite hero of all time...and while James Fraser comes awfully close, in truth, there is
Jacob Proffitt
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, romance
Well this was an interesting surprise. This was a solid romance that I ended up enjoying despite some elements that threw me out of the story. Grace was engaging, despite some elements that bugged me. Mainly, though, my engagement was driven by a huge crush on Callahan.

Grace has, well, issues. She has taken some recent hits and her coping mechanism is the protective lie. Which is exactly the recipe for landmines you'd expect it to be. I was a bit worried by the presence of so much farce early in
★¸. • * ° * ༺*Blanka*༺*°°*•.¸. ♥★

I was really disappointed with this one. Grace was one of the biggest push overs ever! I'm all about being there for your family but this girl took it too far.
She was engaged to Andrew who 3 weeks or maybe 5 weeks before the wedding calls it quits (due to being in love with her younger sister).
She is heart broken over it, but hooks them up, it hurts her to see them together yet she goes to each event she is invited to.
Her grandmother calls her nasty names yet she visits her 3x a week.
Push-fuckin
Bibliotecaria recomienda
#RetoRita3 #RitaKristan

En realidad sería un 2,5.

Este es la autora que tocaba este mes para el Reto Rita 3. La verdad es que esta autora me daba mucha pereza, no sé muy bien si es por las portadas de los libros pero no me apetecía nada. En un primer lugar pensé en cambiarla por uno de los comodines viejunos, pero como las chicas decían que este libro no estaba mal pues me animé con él.

Es una historia que a mí ni fú ni fa, os cuento.

Grace es profesora de Historia en el instituto, pero no solo es
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"

Not only did her cowardly ex dump her 3 weeks before their wedding, he fell into insta-luv with h's younger, beautiful, perfect sister. More to follow.
Fani *loves angst*
Loved the writing, loved some scenes, but most of the heroine's family were assholes and the hero, though great for the whole book, had to swallow a stick in the very end that made him stiff as a..... stick I guess and me mad at him . Still, a very entertaining story ;I think I am becoming addicted to Higgins' stories!
Elizabeth
Kristan Higgins is one of the smartest, funniest contemporary authors out there!
Nita Kohli
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
A Chick Lit after a long time and I quite enjoyed it!

Book Cover
The cover is really pretty and all girly with a sexy pose of a couple and yes..color pink! And then there is cute little dog too which according to the story should be Agnes. So, yes a very nice-looking cover.

Plot
The story is of Grace Emerson who is a teacher and lives with her cute little dog Agnes(I guess this is the name!)
She has two sisters Margaret and Natalie. Margs is a lawyer and married to Stuart. Natalie is like a beautiful
Duchess Nicole
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Duchess Nicole by: Shatara
This was a sweet little contemporary, though I didn't feel as if it had the emotional punch as the other Kristan Higgins that I've read. Grace was quite the doormat up until the very end, and Callahan was quite the jerk except for a thirty page stint. His reaction to Grace's made up boyfriend thing is over the top.

Still, the writing is clever, with lots of laugh out loud moments and the requisite adorable dog. I love how Grace's pup has the big dog syndrome so prevalent in smaller breeds and is
Wanderlust
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-mama-drama
This book is so fantastic, i laughed so many times. It is honestly one of the funniest books i have ever read. Absolutely amazing book. There is a scene in this book in a restaurant, i laughed so hard I thought I might pee my panties. seriously :)

Favorite lines - "Jesus is my wingman." & "Was it me, or did a lot of men leave in handcuffs when i was around"
Andrea
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
3.5 Stars
The plan: By the end of the year, I will have read all of Higgin’s books. Why? Because they are damn good time! This was another easy, entertaining read. Yet, for a bit, I was thinking the plot was going to head south and I winced my way through until.....COMEUPPANCE!!!! Soooo satisfying. Give this one a go for smile.
Alejandra
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reto-rita-2019
No iba con expectativas, pero ha estado muy muy bien. Principalmente por él, Callahan O'Shea. 😍
Me extenderé un poco más en la entrada recopilatoria del RitaKristan.
Mona
Jul 15, 2013 added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
DNF at 86 pages.

This book wasn't too bad from what I read, but I felt bored and annoyed at times with the main character Grace.

description

I have a feeling this will be focused purely on her and the romance will feel like its a back story. So no thank you, this is...

description

I'm leaving this unrated, because in my imagination (where I have all the time in the world) I'll one day be able to come back to this and finish it.

description

We all have our flaws LOL
Ginger
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This book was funny and I enjoyed it.
Grace is a kick with her love for Civil War reenactments, her Scottish terrier who doesn't obey and lying to her family. Callahan was a great love interest and I love how they first meet in the book. I was dying.

The secondary characters were hilarious from Grace's oldest sister, her parents (loved them!) and her gay best friend who teaches senior citizens how to salsa. They each had their own personalities and I would laugh or smile at their antics.

Sometimes
♥Sharon♥
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it

I know I can always count on Kristan Higgins for a fluffy, fun, sweet and romantic read.

I enjoyed this one. Loved both the H & h. Cal and Grace were perfect for each other. I loved the slow realization as well as the bumps in the roads that they faced.

Great side characters too. Even Angus the mutt. :)

And the Epilogue.....**sigh** loved it!

Allison (The Allure of Books)
Grace Emerson's ex-boyfriend is a prick. Seriously. And her younger sister? A spoiled moron. Grace sure isn't perfect either.

Luckily, she has better luck next time around in the love department with her neighbor Callahan (I love the name Callahan, by the way). She accidentally hits him with a hockey stick...and then a couple of other times too. Luckily, he has a well-developed sense of humor. He also appreciates that Grace's neurotic tendencies can be construed as cute instead of completely insa
Estefanía Álvarez
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tengo
4.5/5

Kristan Higgins siempre es un acierto para mi, me hace remontar cualquier parón lector o sonreír cuando lo veo todo oscuro y este no es un caso distinto.
La historia está contada con el habitual humor de la autora, mezclado con momentos más durillos o emocionales.
Cuenta también con personajes muy humanos, que te desquician, pero a su modo son adorables.

Moni Lareva
Me gusta un montón esta autora porque aunque las historias que crea no sean tan mágicas como otras, son real, tanto que parece que es tu amiga quien te lo está contando y es algo que disfruto siempre que leo algo de ella.
En este caso me he divertido muchísimo con las ocurrencias de la prota y las consecuencias que le traían. Divertido y fácil de leer.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 May 06, 2017 02:29PM
Not by Robyn Carr 2 92 Mar 21, 2011 10:40AM
  • Breakfast in Bed (Domestic Gods, #3)
  • Heartstrings and Diamond Rings (Playboys, #4)
  • Instant Gratification (Wilder, #2)
  • Yours to Keep (Kowalski Family, #3)
  • One Good Reason (Adamson Brothers, #2)
  • Tangled Up in Love (Chicks with Sticks #1)
  • Lead Me On (Tumble Creek, #3)
  • Truly Madly Yours (Truly, Idaho, #1)
  • Knock Me Off My Feet
  • Then He Kissed Me (Three Kisses, #2)
  • First Lady (Wynette, Texas, #3)
  • Bending the Rules (Sisterhood Diaries, #2)
Kristan Higgins is the New York Times and internationally bestselling author of more than a dozen novels. Her books have been honored with dozens of awards and accolades, including starred reviews from Publishers Weekly, Kirkus, Library Journal, the New York Journal of Books and Romantic Times. She is a two-time winner of the RITA award from Romance Writers of America and a five-time nominee for t ...more
“You shouldn't give him a ride, Grace!" Meme snapped. "He's likely to strangle you and dump your body in the lake."
"Is this true?" I asked Callahan.
"I was thinking about it," he admitted.”
66 likes
“Here's the thing, Grace," Cal said, a smile playing at the corner of his mouth. "Ever since that first day when you smacked me in the head with your field hockey stick-"

"You just can't let that go, can you?" I muttered.

He grinned fully now. "-and even when you hit me with the rake and dented my truck, and when you were spying on me from your attic and your dog was mauling me, Grace, I always knew you were the one for me.”
51 likes