Start by marking “Dead Remnants” as Want to Read:
Dead Remnants

Dead Remnants

Welcome to the afterlife of Denver—where phantom buffalo roam and ghost factions wage war.

Seventeen-year-old Ashen Deming is dead, but she can’t move on. Not with the soul of her best friend on the line. He is stuck in a horrific curse—a curse no spirit knows how to break.

Ashen is determined to find a cure, but at every turn opposing factions try to snatch her for themselv
Published August 1st 2019 by Sun Disc Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dead Remnants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Remnants

Start your review of Dead Remnants
Energy
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a bus crash, Ashen finds herself dead. The new world is filled with ghosts and something much darker. But the darkness doesn't come as a total surprise, she's had a run-in that nearly killed her when she was younger. While she's not ready to stay amongst the people she's meeting, she does plan to stay long enough to find her best friend Jacob that was on the bus with her. When she finds him, she can only hope he isn't lost to reality as so many people here have fallen prey to. There are wa ...more
Ellie Mitchell
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead Remnants, by Armarna Forbes is a YA Urban Fantasy tale that follows young Ashen on a journey into the afterlife. As a young child, Ashen was visited by a terrifying supernatural presence, but it wasn’t a one-time occurrence. When Ashen’s life ends unexpectedly she finds herself in the midst of a war between beings of the afterlife, but she’s being forced to pick sides. Which side will she choose?

~Story

The story is told through multiple points of view, each explaining the character’s life p
Tessa
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’d give this book 4.75 stars if that were an option. I’m going to go ahead and give it 5, because that’s probably what it deserves. The only reason I’d give it slightly less is my own personal preferences (which I will explain). This is undoubtedly a great, if not outright perfect, book. It’s been ages since a book has not only engaged me to this degree, but also made me FEEL so much.

I’ll begin with what I loved:

-The writing is nearly perfect, providing vivid description while remaining fast p
C.D. Storiz
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took some time to finish Dead Remnants by debut author, Armarna Forbes, but that was my fault. My new schedule left very little time to read. I thoroughly enjoyed the twists and turns of this ghost tale which takes place in the afterlife. Our main character, Ashen, joins forces with a cowboy and a posse of ghosts so she can save the soul of her best friend. Along the way she not only learns about her new found friends in the realm of the afterlife but she learns to trust and to accept. I love ...more
Carrie Weston
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read for lovers of the supernatural.
Unseen are evil spirits. Ashen is One of the newly deceased and has her afterlife put in jeopardy when she is asked to bare witness against an unseen. I totally enjoyed this book and the way it’s plot twists and turns. A truely enjoyable read.
LINETTE DEE
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Never thought I would enjoy a ghost story filled with cowboys and injuns. But I thoroughly enjoyed Dead Remnants. Great book and awesome character names.
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
How I read this: Free ebook copy received from the author

This is a supernatural fantasy story about a girl with a troubled childhood, in danger because of some supernatural beings who are after her for no apparent reason. Ashen gets in trouble and eventually ends up as a half-ghost, in tow of some peace keepers on the other side. Something big is going on, and it has to be fixed before the real world gets in danger too.

The book moved a little slow for me and I found it hard to get into.
Helen
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A page-turning novel that looks at big questions through the unexpected coming-of-age (after death) of its protagonist, the determined and likeable Ashen. Named in an affectionate nod to The Evil Dead, Ashen wakes in a Denver morgue (a room she shares with a corpse pleasingly tagged ‘Romero’), after a horrific bus crash involving her only friend, Jacob, and her patient box-turtle, Langhorne. What follows is definitely not your classic zombie-fest.
As she stumbles from the hospital, Ashen finds he
G.M. Nair
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dead Remnants is a fantastic novel that brings a neat freshness to the 'recently dead navigating the afterlife' trope. The characters are varied and smartly written, and the mechanics of the book's afterlife are fun and not too complex. Dividing ghosts into different warring groups whose motives are all in question was a great touch.

My favorite aspect of the novel was the lush and evocative imagery, both in terms of the outlandish afterlife 'visuals', and simple down-to-earth descriptions. Forbe
Carrie
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book starts with a shock in that the main character, Ashen, dies. I knew it was about the afterlife, but to start with a living teenage girl and actually kill her off to open the story stunned me.

Now, you might think that would lower the stakes and make the rest of the story boring, but it doesn't. In this world, dead isn't the worst thing you can be, and the author does a great job of raising the stakes for these dead characters throughout the story.

The descriptions of people and places th
Margaret Adelle
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given an ecopy of this book by the author in exchange for review.

This story is at times heartwarming and deeply uncomfortable. You can feel the love in the found family the protagonist joins after her passing. My particular favorite is Cage, the gruff but loveable cowboy. The WWII war hero Max is also adorable. And the descriptions of ghostly powers are both intriguing and different from a lot of ghost fiction.

It gets uncomfortable in showing the ghost backstories. You know they all end i
Jaume Sancho
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dead Remnants has a unique world that interlinks fantasy with this very world.
Considering that this a fantasy-horror themed novel, I've been so pleasantly surprised when I've found myself wondering about how much of it could actually be happening in the real world :)

I have also really enjoyed the "origin stories" for the many characters in the ensemble, that was quite a clever way to add depth to their decisions and understand what makes them tick.

Contrary to some of the other reviews before me,
Zoe
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great debut novel by Armarna Forbes. A unique view on the afterlife and the battles between the light and dark and those that would keep the balance. I loved the vivid imagery of the ghost world superimposed on the living.
The historical flashbacks rounded out the characters that support Ashen and show how they are tied together. I especially liked Angry Fox.
Highly recommend this young adult fantasy.
Martin
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, a teenage girl finds herself in the wild west afterlife with ghost steam trains, and phantom buildings. I really enjoyed the way characters backstories are revealed throughout the book.
Ry Herman
A great, fast-paced fantasy with memorable characters. I was particularly fond of the flashback historical fiction segments interspersed throughout, but the whole book is well worth reading.
Whitney
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved so much about this book! The characters were thoughtful and the story was thrilling. I'd recommend this to anyone who loves a good story. ...more
Jack
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read! The characters are awesome, I especially love Macajah. The story kept me engaged all the way through. Recommended.
Steph Warren
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
*I received a free copy of this book, with thanks to the author. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

Dead Remnants is an enjoyable urban fantasy debut, built on a fascinating afterlife premise, in equal parts creepy and hopeful.

Ashen was 17 and worrying about what would happen to her now that school was finished and adulthood loomed. But now she’s dead and has a whole host of new problems… like saving the spirit world and getting her best friend back.

Ashen’s death happens in the e
Keith Crawford
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a rich and interesting young adult urban fantasy that is short enough to keep you engaged in the adventure but deep enough to stimulate the imagination. Its strongest quality is the world building. The world of the warders, the Unseen and the light; travel by mirrors and through lakes; arches that take you to the afterlife; these all get you thinking as much about how you would react to this afterlife as the adventures of the heroine.
The first three chapters are a bit exposition heavy –
Roxie
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inventive, Action-packed

Full of history and paranormal action; a time-shifting urban setting with an old-school undead cowboy—terrifically fun but still tugs at your heartstrings. A winner!
Susanne Schmidt
Feb 05, 2021
Chris
Sep 13, 2019
Justin
Sep 10, 2019
Armarna Forbes
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Josh

• On the Lips of Children
  • Over a God's Dead Body
  • The Summer Prince
  • The Kingson Pride Box Set
  • Xan's Feisty Mate (Iron Wolves MC, #2)
  • Falling for Wolfe
  • Guess How Much I Love You
  • The Gruffalo (Gruffalo, #1)
  • The Gruffalo's Child
  • Church Mouse: Memoir of a vampire's servant
Armarna Forbes grew up in what remains of the Old West and likes to write stories about dead things. She now lives in Edinburgh, Scotland, with her husband, Chris, and their two cats, Jack and Loki.

Shortlisted for @scottishbktrust New Writers Award 2020