Start by marking “Flash Rip” as Want to Read:
Flash Rip

Flash Rip

(Flash Rip #1)

On Australia's hottest beach, the most dangerous current is between them.

Training to be a lifeguard is tough work, but Cody Grant loves a challenge. He spends long days in the sun and surf rescuing swimmers from treacherous rip currents while trying not to lust after senior lifeguard Liam Fox—who is deeply, painfully closeted.

Liam was supposed to be a football legend. Now
Published September 19th 2019 by KA Books

To ask other readers questions about Flash Rip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flash Rip

Start your review of Flash Rip
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I'm a total Keira Andrews fan-girl, so I was hoping, hoping to love Flash Rip... and I did. So much.

One of my favorite books of 2018 was Honeymoon for One, so it seems as though Keira Andrews writing books set in Australia is like my own personal brand of crack. Heather-crack! I couldn't put this book down, and stayed up until 3 am to finish.

What do you need to know? Well, there is a power-dynamic here that I loved, something not quite dom/sub but close to it. Plus, we get the younger, smaller
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

It took me a few chapters to really get into the rhythm of this story. There's a lot of Aussie surfing talk that went over my head at first, but it didn't take me long to become fully engrossed in Australian lifeguard culture in general and the story of Cody and Liam specifically.

Liam is a former AFL footie star and a veteran lifeguard. Cody is a new trainee, just learning the ropes.

Liam's parents are bigots. His dad throws around homophobic slurs like candy and has a shrine dedicated t
Keira Andrews
My new lifeguard romance is out today! You can borrow in KU for the first three months before it goes wide.

Amazon US: https://amzn.to/309iipO
Amazon universal: https://rxe.me/X9V86D

Liam and Cody totally ate my brain after I was in Australia earlier this year, and it was so much fun to create my own beach (I set it in the Perth area). I love an age gap (you can probably tell by looking at my books, heh), and I loved writing the dynamic with Cody being confident, sex-positive and toppy, and Liam b
Cadiva
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Keira Andrews skillfully navigates her way through a complex closet case romance set in the twin macho worlds of Australia's AFL and Lifeguards.

Liam is a former AFL star who could have been one of the greats when injury forced him into retirement after four years at the age of just 24.

He's been a Lifeguard for ten years and he's hiding a deep secret which is severely affected when 20-year-old Cody joins his team as a trainee.

After an incident with an ex, Cody's also out and accepted by the rest
BWT (Belen)
Keira Andrews has the wonderful ability to bring characters to life. And in Flash Rip the setting, not just Australia, but the beach, is another character in this book.

I liked that because Cody is Canadian it allowed Andrews a way to explain Australian colloquialisms in a way that's organic to the story. I loved Cody, I loved the team, I even liked Liam when he wasn't panicking...

My problem with the story is the romantic relationship between Liam and Cody felt unexplored. I honestly don't remem
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Not sure why it took me so long to read this one.

Definitely a slow build between Cody and Liam. And there was a lot of life guard speak towards the beginning of the book. But I was never bored. I'd say the book is a bit on the long side too.

I'm not a big fan of when one of the MCs is in the closet. And Liam was buried rather deep. He frustrated me at times. But, alas, it worked out in the end.

Really liked the side characters so I hope we get more books related to Barking and the other lifeguar
Sheri
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
If Keira Andrews writes a thing, Sheri wants to read the thing. It doesn’t really matter what it is but if she fills it with sexy men protecting a gorgeous beach in Australia while trying (unsuccessfully) not to fall in love, this want becomes a need. I needed this book. It bounced into my reading schedule like a bright tennis ball with a golden retriever puppy attached and I couldn’t help but smile. Granted the beginning was a bit overwhelming (Aussie speak plus surfer speak felt like a foreign ...more
Ariana
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
*3,75 stars*

First – the title is great!
Not that I had any idea what a flash rip is. For all those other readers out there who are also not savvy in the way of Australian beaches – it is an unexpected, strong current that pulls swimmers away from the beach.

But I loved that it also held some symbolism for the relationship that develops between 20 year-old ‘rookie’ life guard Cody and in the closet 35 year-old Liam.

Tbh, ‘in the closet’doesn’t quite describe how Liam feels about being gay and comi
Leta Blake
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book with the younger Dom/older sub dynamic. Mmm, good stuff. The emotional journey was believable and satisfying. The romance was tender, and the action scenes of lifeguarding remarkably entertaining. I wasn't prepared to enjoy that aspect as much as I did! Sex scenes were off the charts hot! And I absolutely loved the character arc for Liam, who had a lot of history and fears to overcome.

Disclaimer: I worked as an editor on this book.
.Lili.
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, age-gap
Keira Andrews is an auto-read for me; her ability to switch from genre to genre, historical to contemporary is one of my favorites things about her writing. In Flash Rip, she takes us to Australia and introduces us to Cody and Liam. Cody is 20 and new to the lifeguard team, and Liam is a former AFL player in his mid-thirties. There was a lot to love about Flash Rip, so, some highlights.

-Age gap.
-Slow burn.
-Size difference. It wasn't just the size difference though- it was the sexual exploration
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Foxy and Chook

Cody is a young trainee lifeguard working on a busy beach when he meets Liam Fox a former AFL player turned lifeguard. Cody is immediately attracted to Liam and Liam is the same. The two start a sexual relationship that turns into more. However, Liam is so deep in the closet that he let's the fear of being found out control his life.
I have to be honest I couldn't help but think of Baywatch with all the lifeguard business going on lol. Also, I had to google quite a bit of
Denise
3 Stars

- May-December romance (Liam 34, Cody 20)
- Internal homophobia, older guy is deeply closeted
- Family drama, homophobic parents
- Definitely kinky but I wouldn’t call it true BDSM

I liked it but I didn’t love it. I thought it was sweet how Cody helped Liam with his fears in this slow burn romance. It wasn’t always smooth sailing but there wasn’t a ton of angst. Personally, I found the steam awkward and I didn’t buy the BDSM vibes going on. I was all for Liam being submissive, which was a nic
Debra
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another wonderful romance from Keira Andrews.

Liam really struggles with his internalized homophobia and his very real fear of being found out. The new, young lifeguard, Cody, fascinates him from the start. The story starts a bit slowly, setting the scene and introducing characters. I definitely enjoyed seeing the characters at their job and the secondary characters brought a lot of humor to the story.

Cody is just what Liam needs to start breaking down his barriers, which are thick and sturdy,
Amy
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, lgbtq
Another winner from Keira Andrews!! I will admit, it took me a few chapters to get into it. There were a lot of Aussie-isms and time spent getting to know life as a lifeguard. But once things started to pick up, I was all in. I loved Cody and how supportive he was of Liam and his journey. And my heart hurt for Liam and all the years he's spent living a shell of a life because he's terrified of anyone finding out his secret. Not to mention all the shame he feels because he's been surrounded by ho ...more
haletostilinski
This was really good, a solid 4 star read for me.

I don't think I've ever read a book with a character as closeted as Liam is. I mean, there have been really closeted characters...but then there's Liam. It's so bad that he doesn't even sleep with anyone in Australia, he goes on vacations to whole other countries and has meaningless sexual encounters with men there.

Part of it is that he use to be a footy star in Australia before an injury ended his career. But a lot of is him just being deathly a
Sabrina
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: deliciously-good
So................good!

I mean, is Keira Andrews, I expected nothing else but still.
Everything was great. The characters, the romance, the tension, the sex (seriously, that was hot).
2 things made me remove a star. The fact that the beach rescue scenes got repetitive after a while (seriously, in almost every beach scene there was a rescue, I understand they are lifeguards but damn) and that about, I suppose?, 80% the author started doing time jumps, even skipping and glossing over important things
Mia Sciberras
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sun, sea, and sand mixed with lifeguards, closets and two men determined to live their lives their way... Liam and Cody need to find a way to move forward because going back is no longer an option.

Quite possibly the Aussiest of Aussie gay romances out there, which is quite an impressive feat considering the author is Canadian! You can tell Keira did her research on Australian beach culture, the AFL, and what it is to be an Australian gay man... She obviously also indulged in watching a fair bit
jazmin
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
age gap where the younger one is the dominant? yes please

no but seriously, I loved this book. it was the perfect balance between steamy and emotional, and cody is a character I really fell for. bonus points for a cameo by ethan and clay!

keira andrews is definitely one of my favorite authors.
CrabbyPatty
Keira Andrews has given us some interesting depictions of Australia in Honeymoon for One and The Station and in "Flash Rip" Andrews dives into the lives and loves of lifeguards on fictional Barking (think Bondi) Beach. Andrews gives us some great secondary characters and shows us the closeness and friendships between the lifeguards, as well as insight into what they have to deal with daily, and along with all the crazy Aussie slang, the first part of this book is really a fun, interesting read. ...more
Eugenia
Honest, this was more than 3 stars, but I never felt the driving need to keep listening to the book. Joel Leslie narrated and he was fantastic!

Maybe it’s all on me (probably—Covid blues), but this book was angústieme than I expected and filled with a lot of self hate (Liam) that I wasn’t expecting. Although this was told in dual POV’s, this was Liam’s journey all the way.

Closeted ex-footballer
Internalized homophobia
Age gap
Young smaller top/older bigger bottom

The sex was hot AF, but felt buried
Joyfully Jay
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Flash Rip is a great coming out story set in the exciting world of professional lifeguards, with a bit of an age gap twist. I really enjoyed the depictions of the daily life of the lifeguards on the busy Australian beach. I can’t even imagine the research Andrews must have done to provide such extensive detail and create such interesting encounters for the rescue team. Everything from the dangers of the currents, to the variety of rescues, to the lingo the lifegu
Elsbeth
I don't know what to say. I guess I'm getting really picky with my MM books. I really didn't like Liam's internalized homophobia. It made me mad, made me mad with Liam. And I know that's not fair. And it sure's not fair being so afraid to be living your own truth, living your own life. Damn those parents that should love their children uncondionally...

But because of Liam's personal turmoil, it prevented me from connecting with him. And with Cody for that matter. I didn't really feel their connec
Rachel
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've yet to read a Keira Andrews books I haven't loved, no exception with this one :)
Celeste
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
New release audiobook narrated by Joel Leslie.
suebee ~Always Reading~
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, age-gap
I am always excited when Keira Andrews has a new release, she’s one of my favorite authors. I was looking forward to reading this story about lifeguards on the beach in Australia, one who is deeply closeted and the other who is younger and takes charge in the bedroom. Unfortunately this just didn’t live up to my expectations.

Cody is a trainee lifeguard on Barking Beach in Australia and he is out and proud. Liam has been a lifeguard for 10 years after his AFL career ended due to a devastating inj
Kelsie ♡
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loved
Another good one from Keira, and I’m not surprised at all. I’ve at least liked everything I’ve read by her. That being said, I always really struggle with reading about deeply closeted people (because I get frustrated), and Liam was basically cemented behind the back wall of his closet; so that took a little steam out of my sails. Fortunately, there’s a whole lot of good going on elsewhere. I loved the beach setting and rescues(even the sad ones). I loved the guys’ lifeguard friends - all funny ...more
Bibliophile
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars. Reading this story felt almost like stepping back in time. It's been a long time since I read a story that featured a character so deeply in the closet. I can still remember growing up in a time when this storyline was typical and in which all gay romance movies I saw usually ended in tragedy of some sort of another.

Like others, Liam's fears frustrated me at times, but they were also understandable. But on the plus side, I loved that this story centered around lifeguards and I enjoye
Manfred
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
close to perfect, 4.5 stars for me!
Brooke
Sweet and sexy. Keira Andrews is always solid for heartfelt.
Maria
Aug 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: solid-3-stars
Hmn ... Good yes.

I learned some interesting things about lifeguards. A courageous, stressful profession to be sure.

The Australian lingo was sometimes hard for me to follow but I got the gist of things pretty well. Fascinating stuff really.

Liam isn't just closeted. There are some deep rooted mental issues going on there. Honestly? It is surprising this man made it to his 30's without attempting suicide. His character is that tortured. The self-hatred, worry and anxiety. It was draining.

Cody. Wh
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Poetry in Motion
  • Mr. Naughty List (Home for the Holidays, #2)
  • Mr. Right Now
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • Reindeer Games (Ace's Wild, #6)
  • The Guy in the Window
  • A Boyfriend for Christmas
  • Science & Jockstraps (Ace's Wild, #1)
  • Pieces of You (Missing Pieces, #1)
  • Hometown Christmas
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • The Dichotomy of Angels
  • Angels Sing (Daddy Dearest, #2)
  • Where Love Grows
  • Virgin Flyer
  • Pieces of Me (Missing Pieces, #2)
After writing for years yet never really finding the right inspiration, Keira discovered her voice in gay romance, which has become a passion. She writes contemporary, historical, paranormal and fantasy fiction, and—although she loves delicious angst along the way—Keira firmly believes in happy endings. For as Oscar Wilde once said, “The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what fict ...more