Start by marking “The Girl with the Louding Voice” as Want to Read:
The Girl with the Louding Voice

The Girl with the Louding Voice

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  122,234 ratings  ·  13,522 reviews
The unforgettable, inspiring story of a teenage girl growing up in a rural Nigerian village who longs to get an education so that she can find her “louding voice” and speak up for herself, The Girl with the Louding Voice is a simultaneously heartbreaking and triumphant tale about the power of fighting for your dreams.

Despite the seemingly insurmountable obstacles in her p
Published February 4th 2020 by Dutton Books

To ask other readers questions about The Girl with the Louding Voice, please sign up.
Jessica First, this book IS beautifully written. Is it poetic prose that takes your breath away with each sentence? - no. But it is a book about a young woman…moreFirst, this book IS beautifully written. Is it poetic prose that takes your breath away with each sentence? - no. But it is a book about a young woman who is only partially educated, and it takes her voice. As she becomes more educated, the sentences start to be more grammatically correct. It's well written in the sense that it is true and faithful to Audinni, the main character. (less)
April Mcdowell I think so. There are rapes by a husband and an attempted rape by an employer, but neither are graphic at all. I think many teenagers would really enj…moreI think so. There are rapes by a husband and an attempted rape by an employer, but neither are graphic at all. I think many teenagers would really enjoy this book. (less)

·  122,234 ratings  ·  13,522 reviews

Start your review of The Girl with the Louding Voice
Emily May
Mar 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-lit, 2021
We all be speaking different because we all are having different growing-up life, but we can all be understanding each other if we just take the time to listen well.

What a great story.

The Girl with the Louding Voice really lived up to the hype, in my opinion. One of those novels that combines gritty storytelling with a unique (louding) narrative voice. Adunni's dialect of broken English adds a certain authenticity to the tale, while still being easy to understand and follow, unlike, say, the
Nursebookie
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Dare

Courageous!
Compelling!
Fearless!

I loved this book so much I could not stop talking about this and recommending this book! I haven’t read a book like this since forever and what a powerful and emotional read this was for me.

What an amazing debut novel by Abi Dare whose writing transported me to Adunni’s life, struggles, misfortunes and triumph as well. I loved reading the book in its colloquial voice of Adunni, a fourteen year old Nigerian girl, who was
Lisa of Troy
Nov 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A Modern Day Les Miserables

Adunni has one goal in life: to develop her louding voice, respect when she enters a room. She dreams of the day that she can return to school; however, at the age of fourteen, her father marries her off to Morufu, a man old enough to be her father and who already has two other wives. What is in store for Adunni?

The Girl With the Louding Voice was such a moving masterpiece. At one point in the book, Adunni is in desperate need of help, and not only does she receive no
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
**** Nominated for best debut fiction, it should’ve won it’s that good***

After reading so many rave reviews for this book I just had to get the audiobook. WOW is all I can say!! This book touched me in so many ways, I felt laughter, love, fear, betrayal, anguish and finally triumph! I don’t always write reviews on audiobooks that I receive from my library but this book is spectacular and not to be missed.

Adunni is a 14 y/o Nigerian woman who has recently lost her mother, who was her best friend!
JanB
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Your schooling is your voice, child. It will be speaking for you even if you didn’t open your mouth to talk. It will be speaking till the day God is calling you come.”

Adunni is a fourteen-year-old Nigerian girl who wants nothing more than to go to school and become a teacher. Her mother is the one who encourages her to find not just her voice, but her “louding voice”. But, when her mother dies, Adunni is sold by her father to a much older man to be his third wife.

What follows is a l
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, outstanding, heartfelt, powerful, inspirational!

Dear Abi Dare helped us to hear fourteen years old Adunni’s voice perfectly loud and clear with her lyrical portraits and her special unique story telling skills!
We hear Adunni’s voice not only with our ears but also with our entire six senses, with our hearts and our souls! She leaves indelible and remarkable imprint on your soul! You cry and you smile each time you remember her story!
This is one of the most powerful, thought provoki
Mena
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Soooooo..

The plot really wasn't all that. Maybe because I am Nigerian and have heard the story of the girl who really wants to go to school but is forced into an early marriage way too many times and have become indifferent toward it.

But the real problem with book for me was the writing.

The main character, Adunni is semi-literate. She's only had a few years of school, and her command of the English language is seriously lacking. Which makes sense because English isn't her first language. The sto
Kezia Duah
Jul 02, 2022 rated it really liked it
Wow!! What an adventure. Adunni is a girl with a vision!! After all that life continues to throw at her, she is still willing to always fight. The best part about her vision is that she recognizes that the fight is not with her alone but with the many girls in Nigeria who have gone through what she has been through and probably worse. The ending does end at a time when she is still really young, so we don’t see what her future is like. It’s fine because, after all that we’ve seen from her, we kn ...more
Elyse Walters
Audiobook....read by Adjoa Andoh....(Library overdrive),
And....
synced with the ebook that I own.

“The Girl With Louding Voice”, deserves to win every award it’s nominated for!!!!

Why are the women in Nigeria suffering so much more than the men? WHY????

My heart was heavy—
taking in so much sorrow, and pain.

I was crying and laughing at the same time....towards the end.... a complete emotional mess.
My god.... this novel is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Love the song at the end....but tears took awhile to stop.

It’
5 stars!!

This is immediately going on my best of 2020 list. There is so much to hold on to and talk about with this very special book. I found myself bereft of all hope as I read about Adunni's life, yet she continually amazed me. It opens with Adunni learning she will soon be married to a man older than her father, where she will become the third wife in her new home. To think that this practice still exists today all over the world! All Adunni wanted was to go to school and earn an education.
Jenna is buying a house and mostly too busy for GR ❤ ❀  ❤
A beautiful debut novel!

Once again I judged a book by its cover and once again, doing so did not disappoint. The main character, our narrator, is every bit as bold and brilliant as the colours on this cover, leaping out from the page as soon as she starts to speak and tell her story.

One of the criteria of a good writer is the ability to make us feel for their characters. Be it positive or negative, we become emotionally involved in their lives. Almost from the beginning of The Girl with the Loud
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, 2020-books
This was heartbreaking, beautiful, and raw— all wrapped around tightly around my heart. So powerful and enduring. I loved it so, so much. One of the best debuts I've ever read. More please Abi Daré!!!!

4.5 STARS
Twitter | Bookstagram | Youtube |
Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
The Girl with the Louding Voice is a powerfully unforgettable story about an extraordinary 14-year-old Nigerian girl’s journey in finding her louding voice to use it to do better, do more. To fight for her choice for a future not only for herself but to help other girls in Nigeria who must obey their fathers and are defined by their marriages find theirs. I loved everything about Adunni and her story, and she is a character to admire.

“I want to enter a room, and people will hear me even before I
Larry H
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Abi Daré's The Girl with the Louding Voice lives up to all the hype and praise, and then some!!

Adunni is a 14-year-old girl growing up poor in Nigeria. Her mother recognized Adunni’s intelligence and fought for her to get an education, but that ended when she died. Regardless of what she wants from her future, because of their poverty, her father sells her into marriage as the third wife of an old man desperate for male children.

“My mama say education will give me a voice. I want more than j
Brandice
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book description calls The Girl With the Louding Voicea simultaneously heartbreaking and triumphant tale about the power of fighting for your dreams” and I couldn’t put it more perfectly.

Adunni is a 14 year old girl living in a rural Nigerian village. She dreams of pursuing her education to become a teacher and eventually help other girls, but her father has other plans for her, including marriage to an older man, which will help provide for their family. Against her will, Adunni complies
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Emotional; Heart-Breaking.

One of my top reads this year!

Phenomenal and incredibly original!

Abi Dare, you captured my heart and ran with it...

Oh, Adunni. Just thinking of this poor, sweet innocent child leaves me with a heaviness in my chest and tears in my eyes. I haven’t felt such love for a character since Kya in “Where The Crawdads Sing.” While I know that she is a fictional person my heart bleeds knowing that incidences and circumstances such as those detailed in this story are happening ev
Nicole
Sep 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, audiobooks, 2021
Why hasn’t this book been on my radar sooner? I randomly came across it while looking for fiction novels that I can listen to as audiobooks. Turns out, it’s a powerful and very good book. This is the story of a Nigerian girl, born in a small village and then forced to marry at 14. We follow her next year while she tries always her best to educate herself. And learn. And go to school. Adunni was a character to admire. She’s brave, ambitious, smart, and kind. The cover is also so cool.

It’s an amaz

PorshaJo
Rating 4.5

Another one I knew nothing about and was drawn in but the cover. I frequently check my library's audio books they get weekly. The colors on the cover caught my attention. I very quickly looked at the description and when I saw 'Nigerian village' I was sold. I love to read about far away places and learn about the culture. I was sold....but had to wait forever for it.

The Girl with the Louding Voice is quite the sad, beautiful story. Adunni is a 14 year old child who has a rough life. H
Faith
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, overdrive
Adunni is a 14 year old Nigerian girl who has had limited educational opportunities, but she has always wanted to become a teacher. Her opportunities shrink even more when her father sells her to an old man to become his third wife. Her job is to produce a son for him. Following a frightening experience, she runs away and a man claiming to be helping her turns her over to a wealthy couple to work as their maid. She gets no wages, is regularly beaten by the wife and sexually threatened by the hus ...more
Barbara
Treat yourself to the audio version of “The Girl with the Louding Voice” by Abi Dare’ narrated by Adjoa Andoh. Listening to Ms. Andoh provide the voice of Adunni brings life and authenticity to the story. I’m fairly sure I enjoyed the novel more by listening to Ms. Andoh rather than depending upon my own version that I would have formulated in my mind.

Adunni is a fourteen-year-old Nigerian girl, raised in a small village under poverty. After her mother dies, her father sells her to a man to be h
Lucy
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
”Not his-story... My own will be called her-story. Adunni’s story.”

4****

This book was stunning and impactful. It follows 14 year old Adunni, all she wants is an education and to become a teacher, yet she is taken out of school. When her father announces that she is to be married to a much older man as his third wife, with the expectancy for Adunni to deliver the mans son and heir, her dreams feel further away. When tragedy happens, Adunni must run away to a life of slavery and servitude in the c
Holly
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Was this a good book? Yes. Did I enjoy reading/listening to it? Not really.

I have to hand it to the author - the use of 'incorrect' English was at first a bit grating but it did serve a very specific purpose. It highlighted how young Adunni really is and how she was taken away from school at a very early age. Most importantly, the author spells it out for us many times throughout the book that knowledge of the English language does not make you a smarter or better person. Adunni is consistently
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m on a role.

Structured much like Tara Westover's "Educated," this debut coming-of-age story is of Addunni, a 14-year-old Nigerian girl who gets sold to a wealthy man to be his 3rd wife. Addunni is bighearted and full of fight in the face of horrific circumstances. I was with her all the way.

What surprised me most about this novel were the ways in which wealth and power abused an innocent girl in current times. Sometimes I'm still so naive.
Jeanette (Ms. Feisty)
Today is publication day for this book. Congratulations, Abi Dare!

This novel won the Bath Novel Award for unpublished manuscripts in 2018. In this interview Abi Dare shares a little about the story and her writing process:

When we think of a coming-of-age story, we usually imagine a sweet, gradual awakening from adolescence into adulthood. There are bumps and bruises and broken hearts along the way, but it's all just part of growing up. Adunni is
Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer
I want to tell her that God is not a cement building of stones and sand. That God is not for all putting inside a house and locking Him there. I want her to know that the only way to know if a person find God and keep him in their heart is to check how the person is treating other people, if he treats people like Jesus says – with love, patience, kindness and forgiving

This book won the 2018 Bath Novel award for debut writers.

The judges citation for that award, given by the literary agent F
Michelle
"I want more than just a voice, I want a louding voice. I want to enter a room and people will hear me even before I open my mouth to be speaking."

I first came across this book in an article written in Daily Kos challenging readers to read 52 books by women of color over the course of the year. I fell in love with the cover. I fell in love with the description. Once I started reading I fell in love with Adunni and her spirit.

The Girl With the Louding Voice is a coming of age story
Carolyn
This is definitely my book of the year. What a voice Abi Daré gives to her heroine Adunni. What a spirit resides in that girl, courageous and indomitable, waiting to burst out if only given a chance to use her "louding voice" to make others sit up and notice her.

Adunni is fourteen when her mother dies. Despite living in a small Nigerian village where girls are expected to marry early and raise children, Adunni's mother believed girls should be educated and makes her husband promise he will allow
Jessica | JustReadingJess
The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Dare is one of the best books I’ve ever read.

I loved The Girl with the Louding Voice. This is a very unique and important story. Adunni has an extremely difficult life but continues to fight for a better life every day. The amount of struggles and hardships Adunni faces was very heart breaking and eye opening. Many of Adunni’s struggles are not common problems in the United States where I live. I learned a lot about Nigeria from reading The Girl with the Lo
Marialyce (absltmom, yaya)
May 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing

Finally, courtesy of my wonderful library, I had a chance to read this delightful story. It is one that not only will make you aware that there are so many souls being held in slavery, but also one that gives hope to anyone who is downtrodden but maintains one's honor and determination to succeed.

I loved the author's voice and that Adunni was able to finally attain a chance to have that louding voice.

Definitely one to read if you have the chance.
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
I finally read this gem everyone has been talking about, and I loved it! Of course I did!

Adunni is a teenager living in a Nigerian village when her mother passes away. Eventually, her father pulls her from school for financial reasons, something he had promised her mother he would not do. He then breaks another promise to Adunni’s mother by arranging her marriage to a much older man. This means her father can pay his rent and eat, but it also means young Adunni is placed in an abusive environmen

• The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • My Sister, the Serial Killer
  • Ghost Wall
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • Agent Running in the Field
  • Akin
  • Glory Over Everything: Beyond The Kitchen House
  • Inland
  • Alone in the Wild (Rockton, #5)
  • Heart of Junk
  • Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha, #2)
See top shelves…
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Abi Daré grew up in Lagos, Nigeria and has lived in the UK for eighteen years. She studied law at the University of Wolverhampton and has an M.Sc. in International Project Management from Glasgow Caledonian University as well as an MA in Creative Writing at Birkbeck University of London. The Girl with the Louding Voice won The Bath Novel Award for unpublished manuscripts in 2018 an

Articles featuring this book

'Tis the season of the beach read, that herald of summer sun and vacation vibes! Whether you're the type of reader who has very strict rules...
“My mama say education will give me a voice. I want more than just a voice, Ms. Tia. I want a louding voice,” I say. “I want to enter a room and people will hear me even before I open my mouth to be speaking. I want to live in this life and help many people so that when I grow old and die, I will still be living through the people I am helping.” 76 likes
“I want to tell her that God is not a cement building of stones and sand. That God is not for all that putting inside a house and locking Him there. I want her to know that the only way to know if a person find God and keep Him in their heart is to check how the person is treating other people, if he treats people like Jesus says--with love, patience, kindness, and forgiveness.” 56 likes