Start by marking “Among Thieves” as Want to Read:

Among Thieves

A thrilling fantasy debut—a high-stakes heist novel set in a gritty world of magic and malice, and perfect for fans of Six of Crows!

In just over a year’s time, Ryia Cautella has already earned herself a reputation as the quickest, deadliest blade in the dockside city of Carrowwick—not to mention the sharpest tongue. But Ryia Cautella is not her real name.

For the past six y

Availability: 100 copies available, 1821 people requesting

Giveaway dates: May 03 - May 31, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Among Thieves, please sign up.
    M.J. Kuhn Hello! Currently, it’s a standalone, but I’d love to revisit these lovable cons for future stories if folks are interested when the time comes! 😁

Start your review of Among Thieves
    Lucie V.
    I received a copy of this book via NetGalley (thank you Gallery Books). All thoughts and opinions are my own.

✅ Band of misfit
    ✅ Atmosphere
    ✅ Plotting / Betrayals
    ✅ Magic system
    ✅🆗 Plot / Pace
    🆗 World-building
    🆗 Characters

What could go wrong if a reckless mercenary, an expert card cheater, a master of disguise, a disgraced ex-captain of the royal guard, and a loudmouth smuggler were forced to work together and to rely on each other in order to survive?

The setting of this story reminds me of
    anna (½ of readsrainbow)
    every time i get to add a sapphic book to my heist shelf, my gay heart grows
    Hillary
    May 12, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Book: a team of queer criminals who are the best at what they do come together to pull off an impossible job and against all odds start to care about each other...
    Me: waaait, this sounds too close to Six of Crows, I'm not sure I'm going to like it
    Book: ...all while scheming to betray each other
    Me:
    Me:
    Me: hold my tbr
    Claire Holroyde
    Mar 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    AMONG THEIVES by M.J. Kuhn is a fun, fantasy heist featuring four beautiful young swindlers of Thamorr: an enforcer, a smuggler, a master forger, and a fast-fingered card dealer. Ryia, Nash, Ivan, and Tristan belong to the Saints syndicate headed by a half-brilliant and half-psychotic boss Clem Callum. All of them carry loaded dice, as well as secrets that could destroy them.
    The Saints inhabit a reimagined medieval Europe familiar to the genre. Outside of the turf wars between other syndicates,
    rachel ☾
    a team of queer criminals who are the best at what they do come together to pull off an impossible job and against all odds start to care about each other, all while scheming to betray each other.
    theresa
    Sep 07, 2020 marked it as unreleased
    Shelves: lgbtq, 21-releases, wlw-mc
    according to the author's twitter, this book has:
    - daring magical heists
    - sarcastic, take-no-shit heroines
    - unlikely allies
    - intrigue and betrayal
    - slow burn romance (f/f)

and i am very excited for this team of criminals to create a found family while planning a heist and how to betray each other. also. sapphics.

I also talk about books here: youtube | instagram | twitter
    M.J. Kuhn
    Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
    Shelves: fantasy
    I wrote this thing, so I'm a little biased*, but if you like betrayal, humor, magic, and characters who are, at best, morally gray, I hope you'll give AMONG THIEVES a try!

*very biased lol
    Colette
    Sep 05, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    **Edited to add this book is an ADULT FANTASY. It is NOT YA**

GUYS!! My friend wrote this book!! It's coming out next year. I CAN'T WAIT, THIS IS AMAZING!!!!
    Scottie Kaye
    May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Multiple POVs at their best. I got invested in EVERY character... And they were all working against each other! I don't know how the author managed that! A really cool magic system too, and a great reveal for the "mainest" character. I loved the ending. Loved the heist. Loved the subtle growing romances. If you liked SIX OF CROWS or THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA, then you can't miss this one! ...more
    Diana Bautista
    Jul 02, 2020 marked it as to-read
    "in which a team of criminals who are the best at what they do come together to pull off an impossible job and against all odds start to care about each other"
    meh

"all while scheming to betray each other."
    oh.
    Mike Newton
    Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Compelling plot complex character interactions set in a very unique world - and that was just the beta! Can't wait to enjoy it all over again once the official release drops. ...more
    Haley Newton
    Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I got to read a beta version of this book. I can’t wait to read the final version of the exciting, twisting and turning heist novel!
    alysa
    Sep 05, 2020 marked it as to-read
    A HEIST ~AND~ SAPPHISM ~AND~ SHADINESS?? EXACTLY!!
    Diane Smith
    Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I got to read this in its infancy! Such a good read! The ending makes me hope for a sequel!!
    Alex (The Scribe Owl)
    Feb 28, 2021 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: arc-tbr, arc
    It said Six of Crows and now I need it.
    patri
    this was a real blast from start to finish - the characters were neatly fleshed-out and easy to get invested in, and the found family and heist squad dynamics really drew me into their bantering shenanigans. the world-building was well-crafted and the twists and turns top-rate, with it all tied up nicely with the fleet-footed pace and wonderfully timed perspective-switching. i am very emotionally attached to ryia and all her bs, and really keen to read more of it!

Frances Maples
    Apr 26, 2021 rated it did not like it
    FanFiAddict
    Mar 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Rating: 7.5/10

Thanks to the publisher and author for an advance reading copy of Among Thieves for review consideration. This did not influence my thoughts or opinions.

Among Thieves is an engaging, suspense-filled heist novel with blistering pace, an intriguing cast of characters, and plenty of machinations to keep you guessing until the very end. Kuhn shows a ton of promise with this fantasy debut and is going to be a name to keep an eye on.

Yeah… so I haven’t read Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo *
    Kathleen
    Apr 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I received a free review copy of this book.
    The blurb's comparison to "Six of Crows" is accurate! I would also add that the adepts reminded me of the "Mistborn" series. The guy organizing the heist is not NEARLY as likeable, but luckily, he's not one of the viewpoint characters.
    Ivan was my favorite! Every crew should have a disguise expert. I also love that their getaway driver is a smuggling ship captain, perfect for the setting. The con-man face and silent, secretive muscle are more typical. Th
    Allison
    Apr 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arcs
    Buckle up, fantasy fans, because AMONG THIEVES is coming soon and it's about to kick you in the stomach and you will thank it for doing so. I was lucky enough to read an advance copy of this stellar debut, and it's SO GOOD.

AMONG THIEVES is a gritty underground fantasy heist starring:

- a down-on-its-luck crime syndicate
    - a badass lady pirate
    - an axe-wielding mercenary who is Not What She Seems (TM)
    - a hot master of disguise for whom I would do ANYTHING
    - a teenage con artist with a deadly secret
    Jessa Graythorne
    Apr 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    We were promised a gritty heist and that is exactly what we got! AMONG THIEVES is perfect for fantasy fans, and features everything you want in a heist: terrible odds, a dysfunctional crew, and secrets, secrets everywhere.

In this book, a group of criminals are forced to team up to Steal The Magical Object. They all supposedly work for the same guy, but each of them has their own hidden agenda which was so fun to read. I was instantly captivated, and the fast-paced plot kept me glued. I flew thr
    Genevieve Gornichec
    Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    breaking my GR hiatus briefly to say that this book had me at "fantasy heist where all the characters are planning to betray each other." AMONG THIEVES was so much fun, and most importantly the reasons for said characters all wanting to betray each other are believable and sympathetic. I didn't know which of them I even wanted to "win" the magical heist item in the end. And I LOVED that about the book.

All in all, this was such a ride and there was never a dull moment, and I loved how neatly eve
    Apr 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
    This is a really fun, well written debut! It definitely gave me Six of Crows vibe but different enough to appreciate both.

One of the main characters, Ryia, the Butcher of Carrowick, also gave me Mia from Nevernight vibes at times which was awesome. Ryia's got sharp blades and a sharp tongue to match!!

This high stakes heist novel is fast paced and the story told from different points of view has me invested in each character from the start.

Ryia has a secret that has kept her on the run from the G
    Nicki Markus
    Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Among Thieves is a fun-filled magical heist tale that is highly reminiscent of Six of Crows; yet it is different enough not to seem like a carbon copy. The plot and characters are engaging and well presented, with all the key players coming across as individuals. I might have liked a little more background information on a couple of them, but since the ending is open enough for a sequel, perhaps we will get to know them better in book two. The world building is nicely handled: enough to satisfy ...more
    Noah Lemelson
    Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    A high stakes, rollercoaster of a fantasy heist novel! Every chapter is full of twists and turns, with a cast of fascinating characters that are sympathetic despite (or sometimes because of) their morally grey actions.

I love the world Kuhn crafted. This is a world magic is monopolized and peace essentially forced by this control. But this is no utopia, sleeze rules, and the future belongs to those thieves and tricksters who live by the laws of the gutter.

Very enjoyable, highly recommended! Sto
    Jen
    Apr 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    ** I read an advance reader copy of this book that I won through a Goodreads giveaway. **

This is a fun, fast-paced, well-plotted and well-written fantasy. I'd say any teen or adult who loves fantasy would definitely enjoy reading this! The characters are very well developed and while I did see most of the 'surprises' coming way in advance of the reveals, the story was interesting enough to keep me reading just to see how the reveals would be handled! The growth and change in the characters felt
    Christina
    Apr 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    I'm not the biggest fantasy reader, but the cover and description of this book called to me. And I was not disappointed. This book has so much of what I look for: secrets, misfits, great world building, and a gripping plotline. The humorous dialogue and compelling storyline kept me engaged, and I'm hoping for a sequel! Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC of this book. ...more
    Elinor Master of Gifs
    Oct 05, 2020 marked it as to-read

this speaks to my soul
    yumna ☽
    ok but six of crows w/ betrayal??? sign me up
    Holly
    Dec 29, 2020 marked it as urgently-want-to-read
    December 2020

I cannot wait for this.
    I CANNOT wait for this at all!
    Please let this save 2021.

• A Dowry of Blood
    • The Last Watch (The Divide, #1)
    • Hall of Smoke (Hall of Smoke, #1)
    • The Shadow of the Gods (The Bloodsworn Saga, #1)
    • A Dark and Hollow Star (A Dark and Hollow Star, #1)
    • Beyond the Ruby Veil (Beyond the Ruby Veil, #1)
    • The Girls I've Been
    • Later
    • The Light of the Midnight Stars
    • Of Wicked Blood (The Quatrefoil Chronicles, #1)
    • A Tip for the Hangman
    • The Bone Shard Daughter (The Drowning Empire, #1)
    • The Penelopiad
    • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
    • Onero's Hunt
    • Lodestone
    • Children of Ruin (Children of Time, #2)
    • The Road To Gatlen