Start by marking “Crownchasers (Crownchasers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crownchasers (Crownchasers, #1)

Crownchasers

(Crownchasers #1)

A deadly competition for the throne will determine more than just the fate of the empire in this duology opener.

Alyssa Farshot has spent her whole life trying to outrun her family legacy. Her mother sacrificed everything to bring peace to the quadrant, and her uncle has successfully ruled as emperor for decades. But the last thing Alyssa wants is to follow in their footste
Published September 29th 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Crownchasers, please sign up.
Metltzi Eli The story is mostly written in first person and present tense. I'd say the worldbuilding is pretty strong, but I'm really not an expert.…moreThe story is mostly written in first person and present tense. I'd say the worldbuilding is pretty strong, but I'm really not an expert.(less)

Start your review of Crownchasers (Crownchasers, #1)
C.G. Drews
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Okay this was brilliant and everything I ever wanted. I don't read nearly enough scifi, and I keep being confused as to why, because this is a GEM and I keep gushing about it with my friend 😭💛It has it all: sass and banter, a clever plot with clues and codes to crack, reluctant royals, soft bois, unapologetically queer, excellent fun + really meaningful plot and story lines?! It said "let's not put a bandaid on colonialism" and just WENT for it with some hard conversations and I love it. And jus ...more
Rebecca Coffindaffer
Apr 30, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Early reader copies are officially going out into the world, so I wanted to drop an author's note here for those interested!

First things first, content warnings (edited 6/14/20): alcohol use, blood/gore, death/loss of a loved one, emotional withholding from a parental figure, murder, guilt and trauma, science fiction-related violence (i.e., blasters, spaceship battles, etc.)

This is a planet-hopping space opera, starring Alyssa Farshot, who's basically:

mixed with

And her loyal engineer, who's e
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
IM VIBRATING

Five Reasons to Read this Book

Rep: pan mc, lesbian, gay and nonbinary side characters
✧ jules ✧
perfect for fans of The Hunger Games, Aurora Rising, and Three Dark Crowns. say-no-more, added.
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 4 Stars

This was FAN-TAS-TIC! Definitely satisfied my space-themed book craving haha!

I am literally so happy rn! No cliffhanger (sort of... nothing too bad), & filled part of my need for things like aurora rising/burning, skyward/starsight, etc etc... and the heroine was amazing! Just snarky/ witty enough, and actually pretty funny! This novel was basically a follow the clue scavenger hunt type competition for the late emperor's crown. Super cute sorta slow burn, great female fri
laura likes lit ⁷
Guardians of the Galaxy + Ready Player One but YA and more gay. if that rhyme doesn't intrigue you, i don't know what will.

i knew i would like this and it still exceeded my expectations (then again, my YA expectations aren't that high but still!).

- lots of LGBTQIA+ rep.
- relatable characters (some are cliche like HM, but I'll give him a pass).
- action-packed.
- plot twists.
- space adventures.
- romance that doesn't overshadow everything- i know i know, crazy right? in YA? I speak the truth!

M
Sarah Henning
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to read a *very* advanced reader copy and devoured it! With a voice that punches you straight between the eyes, CROWNCHASERS is a rip-roaring good time. Fun, fast, witty, and deep, this space opera takes classic tropes and puts them through an intergalactic spin cycle. A fresh take on the final frontier.
Vicky Again
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely delightful.

I was swept away into the story of our roguish and reluctant protagonist, Alyssa Faroshti, as she grudgingly competes in a high-stakes, galactic treasure hunt for the royal seal, which determines the next person on the throne of the empire. Despite being of one of seven "prime families," she's been off exploring the galaxy with her quick piloting skills and her engineer, Hell Monkey. But now she's been thrust into this competition she never wanted to win in the fir
Kimberly
CROWNCHASERS is the debut novel of author Rebecca Coffindaffer. A Science-Fiction book with great characters, sarcastic banter, and a plot that you won't want to tear your eyes away from, this one definitely took me by surprise--in the best way possible.

Alyssa "Farshot" Faroshiti is the niece of the Emperor Atar Farsoshiti. After his sudden, early death, she is dismayed to find that she is the elected "Crown Chaser" representative from the Faroshiti family. Each of the Prime families nominates o
Leah Waters
Yeah...I'm DNFing this. I don't think it's the book's fault, which is why I'm giving it 3.5 out of 5. Maybe I just don't feel like a sci fi adventure right now???

Who knows.
Celia McMahon
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
HOLY BALLS, YOU GUYS. This book was FIRE. I mean, I knew going in that I was in for a treat, but who knew that treat has rainbow jimmies and not one but TWO cherries. Gosh, now I'm hungry and excited and I cannot wait to hold this book in my grubby book hoarder hands that have now grown twice their size since finishing this here book. This masterpiece of YA sci-fi. This diamond in the rough.

Ok, review time.

I'll delve first into the voice of the novel, Alyssa Farshot. I love me some sassy protags
Andy
4.5/5

I feel like YA sci-fi is increasingly raising the bar. Like damn my heart hurts after this book! Captain Alyssa Farshot has been trying to outrun her family legacy for as long as she can. Her mother sacrificed everything to bring peace to the quadrant, and her uncle has successfully ruled as emperor for decades. Yet Alyssa has never has ambitions for the throne, her dreams lay with traveling and exploring the stars.

Sadly, her uncle is gravely ill and his dying wish is for a Crownchase. Th
michelle (magical reads)

read on my blog

rep: pansexual protagonist, gay side characters, wlw side characters
cw: alcohol use, blood/gore, death/loss of a loved one, emotional withholding from a parental figure, murder, guilt and trauma, science fiction-related violence (i.e., blasters, spaceship battles, etc.)

**I received an ARC from the author (thank you, Rebecca!). These are my honest opinions, and in no way was I compensated for this review.**

Alyssa Farshot, I name you crownchaser.

Frankly, the cover of t
The Nerd Daily
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Kibby Robinson

Sometimes a book comes along and reminds you of why you love a particular genre. Crownchasers by Rebecca Coffindaffer is that book for science fiction. Packed with action, snark, and a competition to claim the rule of the empire, Crownchasers is a love letter to all that is good in science fiction.

Alyssa Farshot is running. From her family’s legacy, from her emotions, from sobriety. But she can’t run from the royal call to join the
USOM
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Edelweiss. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I have been in such a SF mood and Crownchasers is a book that swept me away. Delightfully queer and full of fantastic spaceship races, blaster fire, and action, Crownchasers is an action packed ride. And while I loved the action, all the SF world building and goodness that I adore in SF, what I loved were the characters. Alyssa just got to me. I'm not sure if it was her humor defense
♠ Tabi⁷ ♠
Jun 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: edelweiss
I think I'm wired to instantly love wisecrackers in space

hang on Lara Croft & Star Wars as the inspirations for this??

I NEED IT NOW
;3
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
hotshot pilot x himbo mechanic is not something i ever thought i needed
rachel ☾
this is so good?? please can everyone go & read it

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler).

BlogTrigger Warning DatabaseTwitterInstagram
Christine Manzari
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was epic. Perfect for fans of Ashlords, Aurora Rising, and Nyxia. Hell Monkey is one of my new favorite characters.
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
Okay. I loved this book. Was exactly what I needed. I’m not sure if it’s a 4.5 star read or a 5 star, but I did love it loads. So many amazing characters. A race for the crown and all set in space. Epic!

This title has multiple POVs, however the story mainly is told from one character - Alyssa Farshot. And all the other characters, together share a history of growing up somewhat together. That they know each other is just a whole other layer to the other all plot.

It’s an adventurous thrill ride
iam
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a fun, upbeat space opera that despite it’s light tone managed to make me cry!

Read the full review on the blog!

Content warnings include: character death, grief, characters get drunk, oppression, corruption; mentions of sex off-page.

Crownchasers is one of what I feel are many SciFi books with a charming-rascal-who-wants-to-avoid-responsibility-at-all-costs-but-has-a-heart-of-gold protagonist, and it took the best parts of this trope and executed it in a super fun, shortwhile and fast-paced
Kat // Novels & Waffles
4.5 STARS

Reading this book was like making the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs; it was fast-paced, it was fists-clenched-white-knuckles-level intense, and it was one heck of a ride. All I can say is hold onto your butt, because Crownchasers is the YA space opera of your dreams and it will rattle your heart as much as a jump to hyperspace.
Tim
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
To win, you need to be cagey, fearless, a brilliant pilot. Speaking two dozen languages wouldn't hurt. Neither would knowing the quadrant like the back of your hand or having friends in every dive, stall, and spaceport from here to the Outer Wastes.
To win the crownchase, basically, you'd have to be someone like me.

... Whew... I don't know where to start...

It's always good when you think that a book will turn out to be five stars, and then that it actually happens.

Maybe the most striking is t
Inkslinger
Crownchasers by Rebecca Coffindaffer

ARC provided by Rebecca Coffindaffer and HarperCollins. All opinions are mine and freely given.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | BookBub

09-29: 'Crownchasers' is the first book in a brand new duology by Rebecca Coffindaffer that is billed as being perfect for fans of The Hunger Games, Aurora Rising, and Three Dark Crowns.

Alyssa Farshot, explorer extraordinaire and Captain of the worldcruiser.. The Vagabond Quick, is our main character. Paired up with 'Hell Monkey,' the sweet, sarcastic engi
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
It took me a hot second to get into Crownchasers, which is why it took me a long time to read it. Listen, 2020 Christina was struggling with most anything that wasn't romance. Maybe the fact that I got into this book at the start of 2021 is a sign of good things to come? I hope so. Crownchasers is a fantastically fun sci fi debut.

Think reality TV show competition to become the ruler of a vast space empire. While this sounds like an absolutely awful way to determine rulership, plenty of just as t
Stay Fetters
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
"This was always going to be a painful process for you. But you haven’t been given any burden too heavy for you to carry."

Being a debut novel that’s compared to some of the greatest YA books of our time is not only intimidating for the Author but for the reader as well. I was shocked to find myself enjoying this more than Aurora Rising. The witty main character, an adventurous intergalactic race, and an explosive fast-paced thrill ride instantly won me over.

The opening line hits hard and fast a
Shealea
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
If you can look past the formulaic aspects of the plot and characterization, Crownchasers serves up a high-stakes, action-packed race across the galaxy that's humorous, enjoyable, and exciting. I'll probably pick up the sequel. (Also, huge brown points for the sharp-tongued pansexual space pilot and cute friends-with-benefits to lovers romance!)

Final verdict:
Recommended!

🌻🍃 More bookish content on Shut up, Shealea 🍃🌻
instagrampinteresttwitterko-fi
Dahlia
The most fun I've had with a sci-fi since THE DISASTERS - love Alyssa, ship the romance so hard, and can't wait to see what comes next. ...more
Isabel
TW: alcohol use, blood/gore, death/loss of a loved one, emotional withholding from a parental figure, murder, guilt and trauma, science fiction-related violence (i.e., blasters, spaceship battles, etc.)

[Trigger warnings were shared by the author. I really appreciate it!]

I don't have much to say about this. The audiobook was incredible but the story itself was unoriginal and boring (if I'm being honest).

And why is it that every YA sci-fi needs to have a sarcastic main character?

That being said, I
Irisheyz77
Damn that was good. Real good.

More to come.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Firefly meets Amazing Race in this fun space race story that is a story of friendship, galactic conspiracy and a race to the throne all in one. Alyssa is the niece of an Emperor but she is in no way wanting to lead the Empire. That is until her Uncle dies and initiates the Crownchase which hasn't been enacted in hundreds of years. This book had so much of what I love in a story...there was humor, there was a reluctant and flawed heroine, the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Delete a redundant quote 3 110 Feb 14, 2021 06:56AM
Goodreads Librari...: Book Cover Change 3 26 May 01, 2020 07:40PM

• The Lucky Ones
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Jade Fire Gold
  • Elysium Girls
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Soulswift
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • Party of Two (The Wedding Date, #5)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • The Tale of Despereaux
  • Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #3)
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
  • Labyrinth Lost (Brooklyn Brujas, #1)
  • Madeline
  • Malorie (Bird Box, #2)
Rebecca Coffindaffer (they/she) grew up on Star Wars, Star Trek, fantastical movies and even more fantastical books. She waited a long time for her secret elemental powers to develop, and in the interim, she started writing stories about magic and politics, spaceships, far-off worlds, and people walking away from explosions in slow motion. These days she lives in Kansas with her family, surrounded ...more

Crownchasers (2 books)
  • Thronebreakers (Crownchasers, #2)

Articles featuring this book

“you can fixate on the past. or you can create a better future. which way is it going to be.” 2 likes
“You're looking a little green over there, Farshot,' H.M. says.

I lean out of my jump seat far enough that I can punch him right in his beefy delt. 'I swear, if you don't stop giving me those looks, I'm gonna snatch out your eyeballs and throw them out an airlock.'

'Then I could get bionic eyeballs. Cool.'

Unbelievable.”