Start by marking “The Galaxy, and the Ground Within (Wayfarers, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Galaxy, and the Ground Within (Wayfarers, #4)

The Galaxy, and the Ground Within

(Wayfarers #4)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  19,033 ratings  ·  2,938 reviews
With no water, no air, and no native life, the planet Gora is unremarkable. The only thing it has going for it is a chance proximity to more popular worlds, making it a decent stopover for ships traveling between the wormholes that keep the Galactic Commons connected. If deep space is a highway, Gora is just your average truck stop.

At the Five-Hop One-Stop, long-haul space
Published April 20th 2021 by Harper Voyager (first published February 19th 2021)

To ask other readers questions about The Galaxy, and the Ground Within, please sign up.
Dubi In the Acknowledgements to this book, she writes, "Ending a series is bittersweet." And she has signed a deal with Tor to begin a new series in a new …moreIn the Acknowledgements to this book, she writes, "Ending a series is bittersweet." And she has signed a deal with Tor to begin a new series in a new universe.(less)
Elsa To elaborate on another comment, yes, there is a character who during the entire book is referred to with gender-neutral pronouns, that is, non-binary…moreTo elaborate on another comment, yes, there is a character who during the entire book is referred to with gender-neutral pronouns, that is, non-binary, and mention is made that in the future this character will at some point choose a gender, whether it be male, female, non-binary or somewhere in-between. Non-binary gender is considered by many to be under the transgender umbrella because that gender is neither male or female (which are cisgender) so it is therefore transgender.(less)

·  19,033 ratings  ·  2,938 reviews

Start your review of The Galaxy, and the Ground Within (Wayfarers, #4)
K.J. Charles
Extraordinary.

This is virtually plotless. It's about a small group of people from different species who happen to be at the same interstellar truck stop when a tech failure leaves them all stranded for a few days. They talk. they eat. They come together in an emergency. There is no enemy. Not much actually happens. I couldn't stop reading and I was sobbing like a child at the end.

Because this is about how people are different and strange to one another, and how hard it is to communicate and shar
Mario the lone bookwolf (is on a longer vacation)
Again, a commonly seen sci-fi trope is described from a new, fascinating perspective of which no other author had the ingenuity to see the potential.

Back to the roots of the ingenious first novel, this completely character focused part again deals with social, sociological societal, and psychological topics by using the good old “putting people that will certainly have interesting debates and conflicts together in a small space they can´t escape from“ trope.

In contrast to older social sci-fi th
Charlotte May
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This series though! 🥰

Another wonderful addition to the Wayfarers series. Although I don’t think any of them have topped A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, I’ve enjoyed continuing nonetheless.

Book 4 is set at a truck stop in space. For all your fuel, food and relaxation needs. But when a technical malfunction means that 4 very different characters are stuck together, things get tricky. 3 visitors plus the woman who runs the shop and her child.

Becky Chambers’ world building is so intricate, wit
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
My heart!!!!!!! What can I say about Becky Chambers that I haven't already said a thousand times before? I just absolutely adore the Wayfarers series and this book was no exception. The characters in this wrapped themselves around my heart in all the best ways and I cried my way through the last 10% of this one because I just cared for all of the characters so damn much. If you love character driven stories and haven't yet checked out this series, YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED TO RIGHT THIS MINUTE. It is ...more
Éimhear (A Little Haze)
And so with this novel Becky Chambers completes her Wayfarers quartet... and honestly, it was the perfect ending. It’s a book that manages to feel incredibly expansive with its cast of characters, but also beautifully intimate.

If you haven’t read any of the Wayfarers novels before now I completely recommend that you rectify that promptly. Each book is set in the same universe but have their own unique storyline so technically can be enjoyed in any order.

As with any Chambers’ novel the emphasis
luce ❀ wishfully reading ❀ semi hiatus
blogthestorygraphletterboxd tumblrko-fi

This basically was The Breakfast Club but with aliens.

Die-hard fans of the Wayfarers series will probably appreciate The Galaxy, and the Ground Within. While I loved The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet I was not as taken by its sequel nor by this rather anticlimactic conclusion. The Galaxy, and the Ground Within follows a somewhat basic premise: a bunch of strangers from vastly differentiating backgrounds are forced into close quarters due
Jenny (Reading Envy)
At this point, the last book.in the Wayfarers series, if you know, you know. Nothing much happens, just a handful of aliens trapped for a few days on a boring planet that's mostly a galactic gas station, and the friends (and children) they made along the way.

There is this one section where the (all non-human) characters discuss humans and their weird obsession with cheese, and how it's made, and how they eat it, it is hilarious.

I'm looking forward to what Becky Chambers does next but I'll be sa
Rachel (Kalanadi)
3.5 stars, rounding up because sometimes you just want to read about people being nice to each other.
Bradley
Mar 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Chambers does it again with her character-driven warm-fuzzies-in-space-opera fiction.

I've enjoyed all of these books for exactly what they are. Not a traditional space-opera in any normal sense of the word except in the dodads, alien species, and space-travel, but while we DO have all of these bits, the story is always down-to-earth, small, and focused on getting by, developing relationships, and sometimes even a taste or three of a few universals.

You know, like being upset with governmental stu
Trish
Mar 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lovers' Farewell

Think of home when you are far from here.
Let it be your comfort.
Think of us when you are alone.
Remember always our bright days,
Remember song,
Remember joy.
Remember the purple sky.
Remember dark faces, old and beloved.
Remember children, their shells still white.

Cheese! And an embarrassingly out-of-their-depth government agency that very much reminded me of governments and how they are (not) handling this pandemic. Just two very hilarious / poignant details in this 4th volume
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
The creatures 💕💕💕💕

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Katy
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, scifi_2020
Once again Becky Chambers has restored my faith in humanity. This novel feels like the perfect remedy to the shit show that was 2020 and honestly could not have come at a more perfect time. Her writing has this captivating quality that takes you in it's arms and makes you feel like everything is going to be okay with the world.

The Galaxy and The Ground Within is a very quiet yet profound novel and personally I think it's such a refreshing change from a lot of the high octane sci-fi thillers we
Philip
Aug 02, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5ish stars.

Different ingredients, same flavor - just a little watered down. Coke Zero perhaps.

I loved book 1, (TLWTASAP), but whereas book 3 (ROASF) lost me with Chambers doing too much, I like that this one (TG,ATGW) returned to the simplicity of book 2 (ACACO). And then again, while book 2 was powerful in its simplicity, #4 is just a little too slight.

The draw of the Wayfarers series itself is that it's inclusive and hopeful and makes people feel good. Which is solid, and this book fits th
Ash
Dec 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
Thank you to NetGalley and Harper Voyager for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

To say I was excited to get a Becky Chambers ARC would be an understatement. Becky Chambers has quickly become one of my favorite authors of all time, and I will read every single thing she publishes until the day she stops writing or the day I die, whichever comes first. In particular, her Wayfarers series never fails to transport me to this amazing world she’s developed.

Something I really en
Andreas
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2021, science-fiction
Unpopular opinion incoming:

Synopsis: Three aliens are stranded at their hosts for a few days on a backwater planet due to global technical reasons:
Pei gives a comeback from the first novel. She is an Aeulon and a military cargo runner who won't make it to the rendezvous with her human lover. Roveg, an exiled lobster-like Quelin, is a creator of vacation simulations who needs to make a vital appointment. Speaker, a methane-breathing Akarak in a mechsuit, worries for her sister in the orbit. These
Prerna
In her writing, Becky Chambers is remarkably adept at exploring any conflict through a compassionate perspective that sometimes verges on the overly-sugary but also just happens to be something we all need in this capitalist hellscape.This book in particular, focuses on a planet-wide crisis that leaves its characters stranded, isolated and reliant on strangers. Had I read the blurb, I would have been sure it wouldn't work because it's too soon. We aren't desensitized enough to read pandemic insp ...more
Gabrielle
Parting is such sweet sorrow, isn’t it, Becky? At the same time, my nerves were frayed and my spirit low, so a Wayfarer novel was just what the doctor ordered when my pre-order was finally delivered – even if it’s the final tome of this beloved series.

Gora is a little planet with no natural ecosystem or natural resources, but it happens to be located at the juncture of several wormholes managed by the Galactic Commons to facilitate long-distance space travel; in other words, it’s the perfect spo
Jude in the Stars
Apr 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet made me fall in love with Becky Chambers’ writing and with her imagination. I enjoyed the next two Wayfarers books even if my excitement wasn’t always as high and my awe as all-encompassing as with that first book. Chambers’ writing is precise and meticulous, perfectly suited to world-building, with the right amount of details to feel complete without being dull or overwhelming.

Besides the fascinating universe Chambers has created, another aspect of her boo
Emma
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The entire Wayfarer series has been absolutely awesome, each entry wonderful in its own right, every one my new favourite. I adored all the characters in this story and found it very moving. Gave me the warm and fuzzies. Recommended.
Starlah
Jan 23, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2022, queer
Becky Chambers' ability to craft such a lush and beautiful, queer world that feels like a giant, warm hug is incredible.

Even though book one, The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, is still my favorite in this entire series, this was still a great last installment. I loved the characters that we follow in this! One of whom is someone we met in book one, Pei, who was my favorite to follow in this. Everything about the world is just so beautifully diverse and this book was just so wholesome. This
TS Chan
May 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review-copy
ARC received from the publisher, Hodder & Stoughton, in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 stars.

The Galaxy, and the Ground Within concludes Becky Chambers' wonderfully charming science fiction series with another heartwarming story that is so characteristic of all the Wayfarers books.

This final volume harkens back to the themes that I've read and loved in the very first book, The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. In most science fiction stories, there's always some form of study of the human co
Alex Bright
Mar 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, but how my heart needed this book! I know a lot of you don't have access to Becky Chambers' newest release, so I'll keep this short and spoiler free. If you enjoyed the first three in the Wayfarers series, you'll enjoy this. Her characters and compassion are so lovely and she has definitely become one of my "comfort read" authors. This particular outing is focused on a sort of "cultural exchange" between an all-alien (non-human) cast, shedding more light on the universe (galaxy) which she ha ...more
Shaun Hutchinson
May 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I just adore this series, though I'm sad that this is the final book. ...more
Giulia
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-good, the-lgbtq
"And sometimes fear is good. Fear keeps you alive. But it can also keep you from what you really want."

TW: xenophobia, mentions of gore, mentions of war

I have been tended. I have been taken care of. I have been loved. I have been nourished. I have been nurtured. I have been cocooned. I have been blessed.

Basically, I have read yet another masterpiece written by Becky Chambers.

The Galaxy, and the Ground Within – just like all the other books in the Wayfarers series – has been like a lovely a
Tyler
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Please please please let this story bring us back to our first spaceborn crew from book 1.
Taylor
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A delight, as always. Becky Chambers can do no wrong in my eyes!

RTC.
Peter Tillman
Windup book for the series, which was nominated for a Hugo Award for Best Series. An award that I never knew existed, until now.

A good book, but not a gripping one. At the moment, I'm giving it a 3.5 star rating, and wobbling between rounding up or down. Not her best work, and I wouldn't start here -- though it is a standalone. Another of her trademark "found family" stories, this one recycles old stories of travelers stranded in a temporary refuge, while a natural disaster is sorted out. As yo
Kitty G Books
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final one in the Wayfarers series does not disappoint, and once again I thoroughly enjoyed this universe Chambers has created. In this particular book we focus on one planet, particularly a port with a little shop called the Five-Hop which is visited frequently by travellers for layovers. The owner, Ouloo, is kind and considerate and always tries to make the best situation for her guests, and along with her child Tupo (xe/xyr pronouns) they welcome aliens of all types.

We pick up the story w
Lauren James
[Gifted]
This was fascinating. It's definitely one for the zoologists out there - there aren't any human characters for most of the story. Instead, four different alien species with incredibly different physiologies are stuck in a small habitat dome together with no communications for a week. All of them have their own desperate reasons for leaving as quickly as possible, but despite their impatience they find themselves fascinated by the differences and similarities between each other's bodies a
Montzalee Wittmann
The Galaxy, and the Ground Within
(Wayfarers #4)
by Becky Chambers

This is a brilliant and well thought out book! It's a book I requested from the publisher and NetGalley and the review is my own opinion. Thanks so much for letting me read this wonderful book!

Chambers has a way of creating characters that are so extremely different from each other from their looks, physical traits, background, politics, worlds, upbringing, society norms, and well, everything about them. But at the same time Chamber

• The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
  • Scattered Along the River of Heaven
  • Connection Error (#gaymers, #3)
  • Provenance
  • Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch, #2)
  • Fangirl
  • The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper
  • The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #2)
  • The Hollow Places
  • Bullshit Jobs: A Theory
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • Murder in Mesopotamia (Hercule Poirot, #13)
  • Slabscape: Dammit (Slabscape, #2)
  • Selkie Summer
  • Winterkeep (Graceling Realm, #4)
  • Secret History (Mistborn, #3.5)
See top shelves…

Wayfarers (4 books)
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
  • Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Science fiction explores the profound questions of the day. And when it comes to reading your next sci-fi novel, this year's novels have plenty...
“war was nothing more than an argument in which no one had landed on a better solution than killing each other.” 16 likes
“I’m sorry, but I can’t accept a lesser evil for the sake of it being lesser.” 9 likes