Start by marking “How to be a Person: 65 Hugely Useful, Super-Important Skills to Learn Before You're Grown Up” as Want to Read:

This humorous and entirely practicalhow-to book for kids aged10 and up passes alongessential life skills — without the parental nagging. From how to write a thank-you note to how to make a simple meal, this valuable advice, written with wit and wisdom, will help every kid takingthe first steps into adulthood.

For the kid who leaves a wet towel wadded up on the floor or
Expected publication: May 26th 2020 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about How to be a Person, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to be a Person

Start your review of How to be a Person: 65 Hugely Useful, Super-Important Skills to Learn Before You're Grown Up
Deb✨
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-netgalley
**Thanks to the Storey Publishing, LLC., Catherine Newman, the author, and to NetGalley for providing me with an eARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review**

This book is wonderful for middle school age children to learn basic every day life skills. This book teaches the proper way to do everything from household chores to writing letters, filling out forms, caring for the lawn, cooking some food, how to interact properly on the telephone, taking care of pets, being polite to others,
Morris
This is an excellent resource for middle graders and early young adults. It covers a wide variety of practical social and life skills in a brief and entertaining way. The illustrations add to the fun. Some adults may think some of the things covered are obvious, but keep in mind they're only that way to you because at some point you learned it! I especially appreciated the sections on things like writing letters (or formal emails) and how to address envelopes. Those things used to be taught in ...more
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Catherine Newman and Storey Publishing for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

4 stars.

Wow. This book is so informative about so many different everyday things us adults do on a daily basis. It's a wonderful book that I think will also boost children's self-esteem as they find they are able to accomplish these daily tasks. I wish I had a book like this when I was a kid. It's such a great idea!
Bonnie DeMoss
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How To Be A Person is a guide for kids that shows them how to do lots of everyday things, such as housework, cooking, wrapping a present, building a fire, using tools, etc. It even tells kids how to help others and how to be kind.

This would be a wonderful gift for any kid, and for some adults too (Myself included. I still can't wrap a present.) The instructions are presented in an easy to understand, but also sometimes humorous way that is fun to read.

I received a free digital copy of this book
Natalie
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced reader copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

This is a practical yet entertaining at the same time, book for children aged 10+ that is aimed at making learning to do general things for themselves independently, fun!
Many things in this book as an adult you may think a 10+ year old should know how to do, but if your an adult reading this (like myself) please don't be critical because all children are different and unique
Alicia Bayer
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a really cute, helpful little book for kids. While it's geared towards kids ten and up, a lot of these are things that I'd hope they'd already know like how to be a good house guest or answer the phone. Most of these are things your average kid will know by the college years so this is not one of those "how to adult" books (but maybe I overestimate what we teach teens these days?). These are much more basic -- how to vacuum a room, address an envelope, wash the dishes, use a debit card, ...more
Tracy
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Received an ARC at ALA Midwinter

This book is perfect for tweens and teens that need to learn the necessary skills to be a functioning person. It has the perfect amount of humor, mixed in with easy, concise directions and hand-drawn graphics that makes this an amazing book to buy. From topics such as, how to load a dishwasher, to how to write a thank you note, and even how to save money and why it is important. I recommend this book highly. Hand it to your tween/teen when they want you to treat
Genevieve Trono
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How to Be a Person by Catherine Newman is such a gem!! I requested this book because we have been talking with our 9-year-old about basic yet important life tasks lately. As parents, we are quickly realizing how many things we will be guiding our kids through during the next stage of parenting life with tweens and teens..and it can feel a little daunting!

I love that these simple yet important life skills. are covered in a simple and easy to consume manner. This book is filled with tips and
OjoAusana
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
10/5 stars!! I want to buy a copy of this for myself and every kid I know! this Is such an amazing book! it covers so many important life skills in simple terms kids old enough to read it on their own can understand it on their own too. This IS a must own book for sure!
Storywraps
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! This 160 page wonder contains 65 hugely, useful, super-important skills to learn before kids are grown up. The author has created a must-read for ages 10-14, and some adults too. The book presents valuable advice to kids before they enter into adulthood.

The author offers an amazing manual... how to become a person whom everyone will love and want to emulate. Here are the topics that are covered:

* Becoming Your Best Self, 6
* Other Beings: How to Care for the People, Pets and
Amit Verma
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
First of all as I read it as an adult, it sounds pretty simple and primal because concepts discussed are basic and instinctive for adults.
But definitely young kids who are facing social isolation due to increasing use of technology and promotion of individualism.
It teaches basic things to kids like taking to sick relative, talking on phone, tying tie and shoe lases, making a sandwich, packing a gift etc.
These are most basic skills for navigation in social circles.
Artwork is good and funny at
Jocelyn Beecher
This is such a cute and useful little book for kids! I was of course was hooked by the title immediately and Newman's humor (and the great illustrations) kept me engaged and interested even when reading about how to vacuum or do the dishes. I would have loved to have a book like this when I was a kid! Would definitely purchase for any and all the kids in my life.
Angie
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the introduction, particularly the request for feedback from the children. Overall I thought this was a lovely concept, beautifully executed. I thought the content was pitched just right and that the tone was perfect. I will be purchasing a copy for my child and recommending to my friends and family for their little cherubs.
Erin
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings on this book. I loved the playful illustrations and the random "fun" facts (did you know, you can mail a potato if you have the right postage on it?!).

And "How to write a thank you note" is one section I think everyone -whatever their age - should read up on.

But some of the topics (like how to be a welcome guest or gracious host) seem to me like things parents would be naturally teaching by example (hopefully!). Ditto to how to answer a phone politely or write out an
Susan
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book was fascinating. It gives information on useful everyday actives that as adults we don’t even think about when doing them. However I do think that teenagers and young adults would benefit from reading this book. My experiences have me to experiences who do know all the activities in the book and some that have no idea as what one does in “real” life. I loved reading the ramen recipe. It’s a great book! Everyone should read it if nothing else to remind them of manners.

Danica
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Have a kid? Know a kid? Get them this book.

It's funny. It's cute. It's practical. It's helpful. What more could you want? How to Be a Person outlines easy ways to be a person that are not taught in school and, truthfully, are never really taught; just skills acquired if you're in the right environment for it. This book puts it all together in one place and makes it not scary. The positivity in doing dishes or cleaning up after a bet is astounding, and while I'm sure some kids will roll their
Alexis
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
A handy little guide to doing the basics of humaning. Covering topics like watering plants, saving money and cleaning showers, this little instruction manual will help kids, or anyone really, master basic life skills. As a parent, it was eye opening to see explanations for chores that we routinely assign to kids, but don't necessarily explain. While this is marketed to children and/or middle grade readers, I think it could have a place with teen and tween collections as well. This would make a ...more
Linda
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The book has advice and steps on cleaning spaces a home, completing chores, and laundry. This book also speaks about etiquette and social interaction tips. This book reads like a self-help column in magazines, so the reading is easy to understand, and there are brief quizzes to assist with reinforcing certain tips. This book is highly useful for a tween or teenage reader in comprehending what should they should know about growing up to be functional adults.
Denise
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a much needed book for many kids! There are so many basic tasks explained in a simple, easy to use format that they will want to keep this book to take to college with them! Thanks to NetGalley and Storey Publishing for allowing an advanced read in exchange for an honest review.
McKenzie
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review for Netgalley

How to Be a Person by Catherine Newman is a delightfully, engaging book for young people about how to master life skills with aplomb. Subject matter like "how to be a good guest" or "how to take care of a cactus" just might help that young person in your life to gain a few more life skills before they are completely grown up. This book contains colorful, simple illustrations and cute thought bubbles to help maintain reading interest between the short, approachable passages.
Megan Schmelzer
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How to Be a Person is an adorably crafted how-to book. From beginning to end, your young readers will love utilizing this informational text to learn all sorts of grown-up responsibilities.

The beginning of the book focuses on manners and social etiquettes. It has everything from how to address a new person, send a requesting e-mail, and help those around in the community. Additionally, the book addresses hot to show respect to elders and how to care for little ones.

After focusing on manners and
Insert Name Here
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fantastic volume of really useful hints and tips for kids to cover things they should know as they grow up. Covering topics as diverse as how to write a thank you note to how to use a screwdriver, the tone stays light and the cartoons are well done. This is a great volume and I'll be buying copies for the young people in my life.

(However, half a point off because the 'clean the bathroom' section explains sinks and counters, then starts the toilet part with 'squirt some cleaner in and do the
Janet
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

For the kid who leaves a wet towel wadded up on the floor or forgets to put a new roll on the toilet-paper thingy, humorous writer and etiquette columnist Catherine Newman has written the ultimate guidebook to becoming a
Kacie
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This guide, illustrated in shades of cream, grey, and blue, is just right for that kid of yours who needs a little help figuring out what to do in various situations. These are all skills that a kid should have before moving out of the house. From "how to cheer up sick people," to "how to wrap a present" to "how to hand wash dishes," this book walks the reader through a variety of scenarios and gives them the info on what to do.

I do think typical kids will know how to do many of these. But there
Kimberly Tierney
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book needs to become the standard book that you buy for any kid from the age of 10 onward. I am seriously tempted to buy a copy for each of my kids who will be 12 and 16 by the time publishing date rolls around. I love that this book covers every topic that parents try to cover with their kids, but in a way that is not the mundane routine of a parenting conversation. Everything is covered in here, money, cleaning, cooking, interacting with other people, proper email etiquette. I am amazed ...more
Michelle
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
***Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***

This is one of those books I think every child and adult should read! I think we all need help becoming real people. Sometimes our parents can't teach us everything and these simple tasks are ignored. I especially liked that this book focused a lot on being polite and helping others.
Jenn Adams
Received an eARC from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review

This book was the perfect combination of helpful and fun. While some of the "skills" may seem to us to be common sense, there are plenty of children out there who may not have perfectly functional role models. This would be a great book for a public or school library.
Karen

• If...
  • The Fish Who Found the Sea
  • Metaphrog's Bluebeard
  • Baby Belly
  • Winner, Winner! Chicken Dinner: 50 Winning Ways to Cook it Up!
  • Just Draw Fineliner Art: Incredible Illustrations Crafted With Fineliner Pens
  • Go with the Flow
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Twisted Fairy Tales: Little Rude Riding Hood
  • Read To Your Toddler Every Day
  • Twisted Fairy Tales: The Three Little Narwhals
  • Vivienne Westwood
  • Candy Making for Beginners: Easy Recipes for Homemade Caramels, Gummies, Lollipops, and More
  • Junko Tabei Masters the Mountains