Start by marking “Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)” as Want to Read:
Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)

Best Man

(Close Proximity #1)

Zeb Evans doesn’t do messy.

The product of a disorganised and chaotic childhood, Zeb likes order and control, and as the boss of his own employment agency he can give that to himself. Life runs along strict lines and he never mixes business with pleasure. Everything in his life lives in neat, alphabetized boxes. Until Jesse.

Jesse Reed is Zeb’s complete opposite. He’s cha
Published October 3rd 2019

To ask other readers questions about Best Man, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
☆ Todd
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it

YAY, a brand new Lily Morton series!

This first book was a bit of a loosely-tied spin-off for the London flatmates of Eli, from "Gideon (Finding Home #3)", although sadly Eli and Gideon didn't make an appearance in this story.

The book began with a short prologue from 3 years prior, when 21 y.o. Jesse had a job interview with 41 y.o. Zeb at his very pro-LGBT "people for hire for whatever you might need" agency.

That first meeting between Jesse and Zeb was pretty funny and reminded me a bit
Wendy
4,5

This was everything I expected from Lily Morton ... What an awesome, fun and sweet read !!! I absolutely loved Jesse !! About as much as I love Eli, which is quite understanding since they are the best of friends ;) I wished there would have been more of Eli and Gideon, but hey...we can't always get everything we want.

awesome and fun gif - Google zoeken

Jesse has been working for Zeb for three years now. He is what they call a "jack of all trades". Zeb's company caters mostly to the LGBTQ community and offers them everything they
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Lily Morton's books make me happy, and I'm thrilled that Best Man is the first book in a series. I liked the secondary characters introduced in this book (especially Felix and Max!) and look forward to their stories.

This book features two of my favorite tropes: age gap and fake boyfriend.

Zeb and Jesse have been crushing on each other for years in secret. Zeb, who's twenty years older then Jesse, thinks he's too old and serious for Jesse, and Jesse doesn't think Zeb could ever be interested in
Judith
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: british, age-gap, m-m
3.5

It was ok.

Loved Jesse,well he's slinky-enough said.

Is it just me or are these books getting very similar? Stoic,buttoned up guy and the sassy,snarky one.

READ ARIANA'S WORDS because she's pretty much explained everything i was thinking.

Available on KU.
Ariana
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
*3,75 stars*

I loved both series by Lily Morton, with one or two of these books on my ‘best of the best’ shelf. And of course, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this one.

And there are lots of things to enjoy here:

- the spectacular banter and sharp humour
- Zeb for his cute grumpiness, his caring and his hairy chest (Thank you, LM! 😁)
- Jesse for his joyfulness and no-nonsense approach to life
- the age gap (20 years) which is dealt with in a very good way
- the chemistry between Zeb and Jesse (si
Dia
4,5 stars

I absolutely loved the writing and the banter between the main characters!!!

This is the first book in the Close Proximity new series by Lily Morton. I enjoyed all the books I've read by this author and this book was no exception.

Zeb - the controlled and organized boss, who hired Jesse 3 years ago.

Jesse is everything Zeb isn't, young and causes chaos wherever he goes. "A total walking disaster" as Zeb put it.

I can't say I am a big fan of the fake boyfriend trope, maybe because it's be
Bev
Pure Lily Morton gold and I loved it! Jesse and Zeb are just the kind of characters I love reading about and, coupled with the banter and no angst on 'roids overload, this made for a brilliant read. The build from boss/employee relationship to falling so hard for each other - wonderful!

Add in the British humour and this was a slam dunk win. I laughed so hard at time, Jesse has a totally filter-less gob and some of his banter was absolutely priceless. Oh how I love me some British humour and to
Lorraine Lesar
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jesse-Splendiferous-Extravaganza-Time

After reading this latest offering from the Morton Goddess, I contacted a serious case of Jessetophilia.
....I’m now volunteering to go on clinical trails for reinfection.
Loved it. 5* loved it.
Luline
4.5🌟

“I’m saying I want you.” I swallow hard. “I’m saying that I’m falling in love with you.”
He swallows hard, something fierce and impassioned in his face that makes him suddenly look older. “Why? I’m too young and irresponsible and flippant and–”
“And perfect,” I say quietly, cutting through the tumbling words. “You’re just perfect for me.”

Jesse is a young intern working in a firm where Zeb is the boss. Both admire and respect each other. Zeb considers himself too old and out of life for Jesse
Vanna
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Vanna by: Dia
4.5 Stars!!!🤩Absolutely loved it!💕😍. Ms. Morton has come through again. What a lovely story!!💖l loved it despite the familiar fake-boyfriend-trope. 👬It had everything that her books are known for; adorable characters, witty banter, sassy humor, incorrigible side characters, sizzling sex🔥low angst and a fabulous HEA. 💝
Zeb and Jesse are complete opposites. Zeb is serious and organized, Jesse is funny and impulsive; Zeb is forty four, Jesse is twenty four. Add to that, Zeb is also Jesse’s boss for
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars

This one really hit the spot. Loved most everything about it.

Age Gap
Banter for DAYS
Good bit of steam

I'd give it 5 stars if it weren't for OTT Nina, OTT Patrick and the OTT drama at the end. Didn't ruin anything for me but I think Nina and Patrick could have been less atrocious. And I definitely could've done without(view spoiler). Not necessary IMO.

That aside, this was a great start to what looks to be a new series. Lily Morton is a definite auto-buy au
Cadiva
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have a love/"hate" relationship with Lily Morton (don't worry, she knows how I feel and we're good 😊 ).

I just get settled into finally declaring a favourite couple (Gideon & Eli) and then she puts out a new book which has me changing my mind yet again.

So far, every book without fail has seen me revising to take account of the latest unique and brilliant pairing she so skillfully crafts into real and wonderfully flawed characters that feel like people I want to know.

With Jesse and Zeb Lily cam
Ele
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: age-gap, lgbtq
I'll be the party pooper here. I think I started on the wrong foot with this one because who in their right mind would accept to be the best man to the guy who cheated on them with his best friend and never even expressed any kind of remorse? Zeb's reasons never resonated with me, not even when he tried to explain himself. Also, Patrick was either stupid or a lunatic IMO.

OTT is what I expect from Lily Morton and I usually eat it with a spoon but, for some reason, this was the first time the OTT
Deborah
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it

This is the first book I’ve read by this author and I loved it. It’s taken me far too long to actually read it but that’s because life’s been very busy lately. At times like this most of my reading is done in bed. But due to my constant laughing and giggling my grumpy hubby couldn’t sleep. So the book had to be put down.

Like I said I loved this. Jesse was a breathe of fresh air and exactly what Zeb needed in his life.

It’s funny and sweet and while I can’t wait for Max and Felix’s book. I think I
Eugenia
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Who can turn a frown into a smile? Why, Lily Morton can!!

There’s nothing like a Lily Morton book to brighten your mood! The snark and sassing her characters give us are priceless! 👏👏❤️❤️

That being said, the plot in this fake boyfriend, May-December storyline felt a bit off. Some things just didn’t make sense in the way that they were overly dramatic or too easily resolved. I’d go into details, but no spoilers!!

Still, this is Lily Morton we are talking about and even if some situations felt like
Sheri
Lily Morton quickly soared to my best of the best authors list a few years back and she’s continued to hover there ever since. When she releases a new book, I follow my finger’s natural instinct to one-click on amazon. Sometimes I can’t wait and crack it open as soon as it completes the download. On the other hand, some books will sit safely on my kindle until I’m desperate for a good book. After a disappointing read the other day, I knew what I needed. A Morton fix! The Best Man was the cure fo ...more
Ky
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-2019, humor, banter
Jesse is a twenty-four year old graduate that has a CV full of odd jobs in a wide range of themes. He is funny, loud, kind and fiercely loyal. He manages to land job with an agency that people hire when they need help with something as simple as doing their weekly shopping or mowing the lawn or something more unique like needing a fake boyfriend for an event they're attending. Jesse, who loves people and is easily bored doing the same thing over and over again, turns out to be the perfect fit fo ...more
AussieMum
DNF 71%
The beginning had some really great banter that sucked me in but it got old quick. There was just too much and some of it was veering into slapstick.

I’ve read a lot of “fake relationship” stories and this one felt like much of the same. The jealous ex about to remarry. The cold bride. The ex’s whole family hating on a MC...the list goes on. And while I like Jesse I’m not fond enough of Zeb to keep going. This did have some good bits but not enough to hold my attention, which is disappoi
Amanda
Another winner by Lily Morton. I can't get enough of this author, she never fails to deliver with her adorable characters, witty humor and swoony romance. Zeb Evans is the older bossman who is all primp, proper, mature and loves to organize. Jesse Reed is a much younger employee, someone totally opposite of Zeb. Jesse is all messy and chaotic, but also lively and fun and everyone loves his sunny disposition including his stoic boss, Zeb.

The boss / employee dynamic do reminds me of Rule Breaker,
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
It's getting repetitive. I think this book came before the other book in a diff series I just read. Same premise. Boss and employee. An event that brings them together. The boss having a past that prevents him from going after the employee. He resists. The employee who is snarky, sunny, sociable, attracted to the sophisticated older man. Age difference. Even the descriptions of the boss (physically) and the employee are similar.

Boss: hairy chest, muscular, bulkier, broader. dark wavy hair. scru
Gustaf
Best Man was a really great addition to Lily Morton's catalogue. However, I might have a little too high standards for her book. I'm expecting to be blow away by her work and while I really liked this book, I wasn't blown away.
With that said, I'm a sucker for fake boyfriends. And age gap. And England. So there was a lot for me to really like about this book.

Jesse is young and vibrant. Zeb a bit older and in need of having control. Yet, he makes a promise to his ex to be his best man at said ex
W.
The Queen of Snarky Banter, Hilarious Dialogue & Unforgettable Heroes Does It Again!

Long live The Queen !
With her trademark character-driven, delightful , vivid and humorous writing style Lily Morton give us Best Man . A must read MM Rom-Com !

I had lots of fun with Best Man. A boss/employee, hilarious , low angst, quirky tale. A well written and crafted, age gap love story with lots , and I mean A LOT, of passionate , hot AF , deliciously descriptive sexy times

description

I thought that nothing co
Chris
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh lord I adore Lily Morton... this book was everything- sweet, smart sassy and a whole lot of vulnerable ❤️ Jesse was a fabulous character and perfect for Zeb.. special mention to Felix & Max who I hope are book 2 and a high 5 to Jesse’s Dad - stayed up all night to read this in one hit so it can only be a 5 for me ! ...more
.Lili.
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
We're going to play a little math with Best Man by Lily Morton. Why? My ride was a little bit rocky.

I loved, loved the characters. Jesse was funny, adorable, and were his heart on his sleeve. Zeb, on the other hand, was more reserved and orderly, but Jesse always managed to make him smile.

Thoughts:

25%
The first quarter of the book I enjoyed. We're introduced to the characters, backgrounds, and how they react when they're around each other. It was light, fun, with some UST.
4 Stars

25-54sh%
This b
Bev
Yet another rom-com series from Lily Morton **dramatic eyeroll 🙄**. The question we should be asking of course is 'can she write anything else 🤔'??

Yes, I liked the characters but unfortunately the author's work seems to be on a rinse and repeat cycle, revolving solely around the same sort of storyline for every series. One character who seems to have lost the plot [usually the older one], one who is younger and has more sense and sass, and all set in an imaginary world where nothing really bad
Denise H.
***** Older boss finds his younger employee, his complete opposite...fascinating !
A cute, British tale, about Zeb, who's 44, staid and devoted

to his work at a job finding company, to help folks find the help they need.

Jesse, 24, from a big Italian family is hired

to do odd jobs by Zeb.
As time passes, Zeb can't be without the bubbly, happy, delightful soul of Jesse. Jesse is a free spirit, secretly finishing his degree to be a social worker, helping people. His dad is a preacher, and is am
Sanaa
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Loved, loved, loved this. Classic Lily Morton book and it was what my heart desperately wanted!
haletostilinski
4.5 Best Man Stars!

Like with all the Morton books I've read so far, this was so good and did not disappoint. I always love the humor infused throughout her books, to go along with the serious. I always love getting a laugh at the same time it melts my heart from the romance and the cute and the love *happy sigh*

Jesse, 24 is Eli's best friend, Eli who was the other MC from the book Gideon, and who we briefly met in that book when he picked up Eli. But other than that we didn't learn much about hi
Leslie
**Reread 9/16/20-9/17/20. When nothing sounds good, I go for comfort rereads. I loved this ALMOST as much the second time around. I say almost because the end bugged me a tiny bit this time around. Not enough to change my review or rating though.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.5/5 Stars. Rounding up!

"I grin at him. Somehow it's become second nature to smile at him. He brings them out of me like the sun brings out the daisies."

I was so anxious and excited to read this book that I was sitting, with my ipad in hand,
Mia Sciberras
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So you're thinking about trying a Lily Morton book but you're not quite sure if British humour is really your jam?
You've been told she's kinda funny but is she really? Really, really?
You've noticed some of her fans seem a little rabid, a little *cough* enthusiastic about certain characters, but surely that's because those readers are a little "touched"...

Stop right now! Stop reading this review! Get your perky butt over to Amazon and start using that pointer finger of yours for the love of Fred

• Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • Say You’ll Be Nine (Say You'll Be Nine, #1)
  • Virgin Flyer
  • Fakers (Licking Thicket, #1)
  • Pop Star (Famous #1)
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
  • Screwed (Four Bears Construction, #4)
  • Power Plays & Straight A's (CU Hockey #1)
  • Spotlight (Famous #2)
  • Reindeer Games (Ace's Wild, #6)
  • NautiCal (Forever Wilde, #8)
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Hardwood (Four Bears Construction, #3)
  • The Guy in the Window
  • Throwing Hearts
  • The Making of Jonty Bloom (Unfinished Business, #1)
  • Hat Trick (Fake Boyfriend #5)
Lily is a bestselling gay romance author.

She lives in sunny England with her husband and two children, all of whom claim that they haven't had a proper conversation with her since she got her Kindle.

She has spent her life with her head full of daydreams, and decided one day to just sit down and start writing about them. In the process she discovered that she actually loved writing because how else

Close Proximity (3 books)
  • Charlie Sunshine (Close Proximity, #2)
  • After Felix (Close Proximity, #3)