Start by marking “Rewind” as Want to Read:
Rewind

Rewind

From the bestselling, multiple prize-shortlisted novelist Catherine Ryan Howard comes an explosive story about a twisted voyeur and a terrible crime...

PLAY
Andrew, the manager of Shanamore Holiday Cottages, watches his only guest via a hidden camera in her room. One night the unthinkable happens: a shadowy figure emerges onscreen, kills her and destroys the camera. But who

Published August 22nd 2019 by Corvus

To ask other readers questions about Rewind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rewind

Start your review of Rewind
Chelsea Humphrey
Happy Pub Day!

4.5 STARS

Has anyone else watched that movie Bad Times at the El Royale? Personally, I adore that film, and its similarities to this book could be why I enjoyed reading Rewind so thoroughly. Sure, the plots are completely different, but both feature a large cast that jumps around in the timeline given, and someone dies in a hotel room that features hidden cameras. While Rewind doesn't feature Chris Hemsworth's glorious bare abs and low riding jeans, it DOES have an immediate tension
Kaceey
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Okay, Im definitely in the minority on this one! (Please dont hate me!)😬

A popular Instagram celebrity is off to a nightmarish secluded seaside resort. And I use the term resort loosely! It's downright creepy! And soon she fears for her life...and maybe with good reason!

I was excited to see all the five-star reviews being given for this book! I launched into it fully expecting a five-star read too! But I kept thinking, I must be reading a different book than everyone else.

Usually I love a book
Debra
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Read it.

The end.

You'll thank me.

This is the first book I have read by Catherine Ryan Howard and it will not be my last.

A woman rents an isolated cottage and the creepy-lacking-in-social-skills manager spies on her through a hidden camera in her bedroom, and watches someone enter and murder the woman before destroying his camera. But this is not the beginning. To get to the beginning you will need to hit play, rewind and pause.

This book is told in a very intelligent manner. To understand the
Dita
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Psycho meets Fatal Attraction meets Pulp Fiction in this riveting novel. This book time hops (the Pulp Fiction part) beginning with the murder of Instagram star Natalie in a cabin at a small resort. Andrew, the resort proprietor, is a sick ticket with a proclivity for filming his guests without their knowledge. He inadvertently records her murder but can't decide what to do with the footage as its very existence implicates him in his crime.

As the story unfolds, we get to meet a handful of truly
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-m-intrigued
Three point five to rounded up four, lets PLAY to read moving story reminds us so much the movie Bad Times at the El Royale, a creepy hotel located out of nowhere, a suspicious, gives you chills kind of WTH is wrong with the hotel manager, rooms designed for BIG BROTHERS stalking desires and PAUSE we have a live video of murder at one of these hotel rooms and REWIND: lets find out who did it STARS!!!

PROS ABOUT THIS book:

-Moving back and forth between past and present and sometimes we stop to
karen
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

this is exactly my kind of escapist book.

im not someone known for having highbrow tastes or anything; ive nothing to escape from in the way of intellectual pursuits, but sometimes you just want a book thats all about the pleasure of reading itsomething to shut out the demands of the day with a few hours of page-turning, snack-scarfing ease. for some readers in these situations, the more mindless the book, the better, but i lose patience with lazy writing, wild implausibilities,
Michelle
There is a lot of buzz buzzing about this book and I can completely understand why. Play, Pause, Rewind, and Fast Forward is how the story is being told to you and it's genius. I loved it.

I just wish I loved the story as much as the format used.

We have an internet "influencer", Natalie, who is murdered in her rental unit at Shanamore Holiday Cottages. The problem is that there was a hidden camera in the room capturing the murder in all it's grisly glory.

The manager of the Shanamore Cottages
Toni
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2019, thriller
Natalie O'Connor-Kerr, a lifestyle blogger and a rising Instagram star, a woman with a dream job, dream house in an expensive area of Dublin, and a dream husband, takes a bus to the middle of nowhere, a half-deserted village of Shanamore on the coast. She has a reservation for one of the cottages supervised by a young man Andrew, who immediately gives her if not creeps, at least a strange vibe. Once in her cottage Natalie starts looking through the drawers until she finds a poetry book with a ...more
Miriam Smith
REWIND This is an explosive story about a murder caught on camera. You've already missed the start. To get the full picture you must rewind the tape and play it through to the end, no matter how shocking...
Having read Catherine Ryan Howards previously successful book The Liars Girl and awarding it the full five stars, I was very much looking forward to reading this authors latest book Rewind. I had exceedingly high hopes for it and Im pleased to report it didnt disappoint.
Although the story
Amanda
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG what a start!! You had me hooked from the first sentence. I switched off my phone, got myself comfortable as I knew I wouldnt be able to put this book down!!

Loved the way the story goes backwards and forwards with a clever twist that keeps the suspense building. Thought the rewind, play idea was very original and told the story in bite size pieces that made you want to read more!!!

Instagram star Natalie is leaving Dublin and husband Mike to go and stay in Shanamore Cottages, she is there for
Deanna
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

2.5 Stars

I really enjoyed this authors previous novel, The Liars Girl. I tend to gravitate towards novels that have anything to do with social media, so I knew this was going to be a book I had to read. I happened to have an extra audible credit so I thought I would check out the audiobook.

An Instagram influencer , Natalie, is murdered in her rental unit at Shanamore Holiday Cottages. A hidden camera catches the murderer in
Jayme
▶ PLAY
⏸ PAUSE
◀ REWIND

▶ PLAY- The book opens with Andrew, the manager of the Shanamore Holiday Cottages watching the brutal murder of a female guest in cottage 6. He is a voyeur-he planted the camera there-but he never expected to view a murder.

⏸ PAUSE-Natalie, an Irish Instagram Influencer has discovered something at home which will cause her to pause her feed, and go to the Shanamore Holiday Cottages for answers.

◀ REWIND-Wannabe reporter, AUDREY, stumbles upon the fact that Natalie is now
Babydimps (Suzy)
2 stars! ⭐⭐

Play. Pause. Rewind. Fast-Forward. NO!

Sigh. Looks like Im in the minority on this one, my friends.

This book was all over the place for me. I didnt like how it constantly jumped around. Normally, Im a big fan of the alternating POVs. This one was just too much.

I think this book is best read in one sitting because whenever I took a break from it and tried to start it up again I was clueless as to what was going on. I found myself having to rewind and re-read parts just to keep up. Ain
Mark
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

So, the book starts, with an unbelievable creepy and authentic atmosphere as a man who runs 6 holiday cottages in Ireland is reviewing his hidden camera footage from last night from room 6, ( there is a reason he is doing this, not just pure perversion but that becomes apparent much later on ) as he settles to watch, he is horrified as someone else enters the room, stands watching the guest in bed, walks up to the bed and gently wakes her
Then murders her
All on film!!!
When they are finished they
Theresa Alan
This is original in the telling of multiple points of view as if youre using your remote control to fast forward, rewind, and stop at what points the story is told. While the who-did-it I didnt see coming at first, when the truth comes out, its one-hundred-percent TELLING (this is how everything turns out, explained quickly in a few pages). The other challenge is that I had to put the book down for a bit to do other work, and when I came back to it, it was really hard to get all the different ...more
Liz Barnsley
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely SUPERB piece of plotting. So clever and extraordinarily engaging.

We start with a woman killed on camera. Then the book rewinds, fast forwards, pauses and stops with each part of the tale adding up and finally becoming a full picture.

With cleverly placed clues to let you know how each piece sits in relation to the others and a hugely absorbing storyline that is utterly gripping and inordinately creepy this is definitely one of my reads of the year so far.

Fuller review to follow
Helga
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime
Play, Pause, Rewind, Fast forward

Rewind is a fast paced and enjoyable mystery/thriller; a proper beach read.
It jumps back and forth in time and the story is told from multiple points of view.

It begins with the brutal murder of the Instagram influencer (whatever that means) Natalie O'Connor inside a holiday cabin. The murder is caught on tape and we soon realize that the killer is well aware of the existence of the hidden camera.
Then we go back and forth in time, before and after the murder as
Julie (JuJu)
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A creepy thriller, told in a brilliant and original format!

The format was perfect for this one and the author did a great job of creating some very intense and disturbing characters. And Andrew easily fit into the mold of Norman Bates, which added to the eerie atmosphere. Although I wasnt too surprised by the twists and turns of this one, it was well written and such an original format, Ill definitely try another book by this author.

Thank you to Edelweiss / Blackstone Publishing / Catherine
Bookread2day
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review is on my website. www.bookread2daywordpress.com

I absolutely loved reading Rewind by Catherine Ryan Howard. I have read a few books by Catherine Ryan Howard and I gave five stars to the other books I have read, The Liars Girl
and, Distress Signals.

I now know why this book was named Rewind. To all crime fans, I can honestly say Rewind is a creepy thriller, that I have to say please read it, you won't be able to close the book.

The story of Rewind not only gave me the creeps but it had
Selena
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free e-copy of Rewind by Catherine Ryan Howard from NetGalley for my honest review.

Wow, wow, wow!!! This book is a pulse pounding and thrilling read that is straight up addicting.

Natalie, a young and famous social media influencer is missing. Audrey, a journalist is researching and looking for the truth in what happened to her. Audrey follows up on a tip of Natalie going to Shanamore in County Cork. Why would Natalie go to this very creepy cottage? Then there is Mike, Natalie's
Nicki
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why did Internet superstar Natalie walk out on her seemingly perfect life and the lavish new home that she shared with her seemingly loving husband Mike and make her way to the wintry,isolated Shanamore Holiday Cottages?

Why can't she leave the cottages despite having a very bad feeling about the creepy manager Andrew? What is she looking for?

Natalie was right to be wary of Andrew because unbeknownst to her,the manager is watching his only guest via a hidden camera in her room. Then one night the
DeAnn
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
3.5 creative timeline stars

This murder mystery tale set in Ireland features an Instagram influencer Natalie -- who seems to have disappeared. Her followers and her husband are trying to find her. The timeline in this one hops around leaving the reader to piece it together.

We have isolated cottages Shanamore Holiday Cottages -- with a creepy manager. Natalie is staying here, trying to solve a puzzle involving her husband. Theres a murder that has been filmed and we dont know how this all fits
preoccupiedbybooks
Aug 26, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This ARC was available for me to download from edelweiss.plus, in exchange for an honest review
Jypsy
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rewind is a psychological thriller with a twist. The story, chapters, are structured like playback features on a DVD. Play, fast forward, rewind, etc. These features transfer you back and forth in time and to different characters. It's like smaller stories within a larger story. It doesn't begin at the beginning. The plot is intriguing and suspenseful and unpredictable at every turn. I'm reminded again of the ever present yet often overlooked dangers of social media platforms like Instagram. ...more
Laura Rash
A very complicated story told in a unique form that ends in a result that seems almost simplistic once you have the whole story. I struggled a bit juggling the characters and timeline on this.
Lisa
An intriguing but creepy story about a murder caught on camera and a womans quest to be with the man she loves.

SUMMARY
Play: Andrew, the manager of Shanamore Holiday Cottages, watches his only guest, Natalie via a hidden camera in her room, she is a well known internet influencer. One night as Andrew is watching the video, a shadowy figure emerges onscreen with a knife, stabs Natalie multiple times and then destroys the camera. But who is the murderer how did they know about the camera? And how
Heidi
Ever since reading DISTRESS SIGNALS, the name Catherine Ryan Howard has been on my radar as an author I will seek out when looking for a good thriller with that different element that makes it stand out from the rest and this one was no exception.

Play: the brutal murder of a young woman caught on camera.
Pause: who is the victim, and how did she get to be there?
Rewind: to understand what has happened you will have to retrace the victims steps to the beginning.

Have you ever read a book that
Kat Dietrich

Rewind by Catherine Ryan Howard is a psychological thriller.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Blackstone Publishing, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis:   (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)

Nathalie is a star on Instagram, but in her own life, she is troubled.  She thinks she is being followed by a crazy fan.  She wonders if her husband Mike is having
Mackey
Love, LOVE, love and LOVE!! That is what I really think of Rewind by Catherine Ryan Howard. Wait, you want more?? Then Rewind and Ill start again..

A woman has left her home and, under an assumed name, rents a cabin in a remote area by the sea. The manager of the holiday rentals is an odd duck with a bit of past. fact that he secretly records the guests should come as no surprise. The surprise is when the woman is brutally murdered and it is recorded on his secret tapes.

But thats not where this
Rachel Hall
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Piecing together the fragments and triggers behind a true crime with one Instagram influencers disappearance and murder.

The brutal murder of a woman as she sleeps sets the tone for this dark and thoroughly intriguing thriller with the culprit wrenching a hidden camera from its hiding place and immediately presenting the reader with a host of questions and a need to know the answers! However this story isnt told chronologically but using the Rewind, Fast Forward, Pause and ultimately Play

• To Keep You Safe
  • The Fallout
  • Our Dark Secret
  • The Secret Sister
  • Gone
Catherine Ryan Howard was born in Cork, Ireland, in 1982. Prior to writing full-time, Catherine worked as a campsite courier in France and a front desk agent in Walt Disney World, Florida, and most recently was a social media marketer for a major publisher. She is currently studying for a BA in English at Trinity College Dublin.