Start by marking “April's Heart” as Want to Read:
April's Heart

April's Heart

Cheerleader April Schweiter navigates life and love through her turbulent and sexually charged romance with her hot boyfriend, Mitch Hudgins, the love of her life. Is her the love of her life? April really doesn’t know.
Although they are finally a happy couple, April and Mitch decide to break up due to the fact they will be attending different schools far away from each ot
Published January 21st 2020

To ask other readers questions about April's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about April's Heart

Start your review of April's Heart
InD'tale Magazine
April and Mitchell are the “it” couple throughout Jr. High and High School. Growing and stumbling, breaking up and coming together, all while building a bond no one can break.

Read full review in the 2020 September issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Joshua Grant
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shilah Ferr reminds us that the road to love aught never be smooth with her romantic drama April’s Heart! April and Mitch are a thing…sometimes, but with graduation coming up and the two going to different schools, their relationship hits the rocks. Ferr captures all the great drama of an on again off again relationship in a way that is nice, not annoying! This one had great feels, and I loved the creative use of song links to add to the mood! If you love late highschool/early college romance, d ...more
Kathleen Flood
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book made me smile. Brought back memories dating and love. A real true love story.
Kourtney Bradley
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Autumn of 1977 is a start to a multitude of changes for April Schweiter. The preadolescence age is something entirely new for the young girl, and she spends the next few years discovering who she is and who she will soon become. With the introduction of love and heartbreak, readers are offered an insight to April’s life and the challenges she faces during a time that we can all relate to all too much.

April’s Heart is a coming-of-age novel written by Shilah Ferr and published in January 2020.
Michelle Deerwester-Dalrymple
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
With all the complications of high school, this book has the reader traveling down memory lane! Their on/off relationship, a lot of break-ups, which is really reminiscent of high school! Other complications, like family and the uncertainty of the future, only add fuel to the fire of the relationship.

Judi Russo
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book because it brought me back to my younger days when love was a mystery and relationships were new and exciting. This story depicts the thoughts and feelings that belong to every high school girl. Loved it!!
Judi Vitaliano
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it what a great Romance.
April's Heart is an excellent novel touching on family, love and love again.
You will laugh and cry with the characters and fall in love with all of them.
Highly recommend this read
Peggy
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Taken back down memory lane with this book! Was easily drawn in and kept throughout the entire book! Loved the characters as well as the story! Think I may have found a new fav author!
Cheryl
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lust or love? A question April struggles to answer as she and her first crush Mitch face the challenges of adolescence. Miscommunications, other love interests, and an overbearing mother will shatter this romance time and time again. Will young love rise above these obstacles or will they realize it was only teenage yearnings? Enjoyable quick read for those 18 and over. Looking forward to more from this new author.
Kelly Kinnear
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In April's Heart, we follow the journey of April through her teen years. As with all teens, there are ups and downs, highs and lows! This book is an amazing story of how a teenage girl navigates through family troubles, friend troubles and most definitely boyfriend troubles. I LOVED every aspect of this book. It held my attention the whole time and I found myself excited to find time to read and see what happens to April next! This is the first book from the author and I hope that she will be wr ...more
Cair-Paravel De Loulay
April is a 13 year old girl at the beginning of the story. Middle school is just as sucktacular as high school, and April is no exception. Mitch is the love of her life and as things begin to evolve, so do they.

However, life is riddled with drama and whiplash turns. What was one mutual middle school turns into two separate high schools. Things get a little out hand when she meets a new man and then it gets messy.

This is a reality driven teenager journey full of life, drama and a gratuitous amou
Donna Gorman
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
April's Heart was a good read. I definitely could relate to the theme in the book especially since I grew up during that time period. The references to music was enjoyable as well. Also, I am a friend of the author so while I was reading the book I was wondering what could have been real and what wasn't. I enjoyed discussing the book with her after I read it to find out what was and what wasn't. I struggled a little with the age of the characters early on but once they got into high school I rea ...more
Lisa C
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved the story of Mitch and April. It is the love story that every young girl hopes for. I also loved that the descriptions of the time period of the early 1980’s brought me back to my youth. I did recognize many of her characters as my high school friends which made the storyline so realistic. I am looking forward to reading Shilah Ferr’s next novel!
Michelle Pressley
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story of young love full of question and uncertainty and the adventures of teen life that is timeless. Beautiful read. Highly recommend and look forward to more from the author.
Rose Auburn
Sep 13, 2020 rated it liked it
April’s Heart is a coming of age novel following April Schweiter, an all-American girl, from the age of thirteen. The book is in four parts and set in the late 1970s through to 1980s. We primarily follow the rollercoaster relationship between her and Mitchell Hudgins. This on/off romance is played out among April’s tribulations with family and friends as well as her path through High School and College.

I found April’s Heart entertaining but, at times, exhausting. Personally, I think the book sh
Reads A-Lot
Dec 06, 2020 rated it liked it
A typical coming-of-age story. April is your typical 13-year old girl growing up in the suburbs. Like any teenager, she’s boy-crazy and worried about her social status among her peers. April certainly leads with her heart when she gets involved with boys, scheming and plotting to get who she wants. She does some underhanded things, so she’s not always likable. It had good drama and tension with a play for April’s heart. It’s got an easy narrative. Kind of slow with a lot of names in the story.

T
Shilah Ferr
Sep 06, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: romance
Hi friends! I've been so blessed that April's Heart has been acquiring terrific reviews, including editorial reviews! My novel garnished 4 out of 4 stars from OnlineBookClub.org, as well as great reviews from In'Dtale Magazine and Self-PublishingReview.com! It is very exciting and motivating! Thanks to all my readers who have left reviews, please keep them coming!

I am outlining my next novel, perhaps titled "Always April" which will be Mitchell Hudgins story!

A
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was ok
The general subject matter of this novel would interest a 12 year old or early teenage girl, however, the descriptions of the main character's sexual relationship are sometimes graphic. I would not feel comfortable recommending it to my 13 year old niece. It's unfortunate because the actual story itself would be good for a young adult if it wasn't so explicit. The author did a great job of capturing the time period and the addition of song titles and lyrics left me feeling nostalgic. ...more
TJ
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5/5.0

A story with lots of potential, but it desperately needs some strong, developmental editing.
Nekquai
Jan 29, 2021
Sandy Melnik
rated it did not like it
Jun 03, 2020
Goodreads Authors...: Seeking reviews please! 1 9 Jul 09, 2020 06:08AM

• No Halo Required
  • The Thirst
  • JQR
  • The Anmorian Legends: Legacy of the Sentinels (The Anmorian Legends, #2)
  • ¡Todos hacemos popó!
  • The Tale of Cuffy Bear
  • INTO THE STREETS:  An Antiwar Love Story
  • Outfox Your Mate (Chimeric Mates, #1)
  • The Rebels of Caer City (Mara of the League, #2)
  • Being John Smith: J. Alva Smith
  • The Color of Your Voice
  • Her Army Hero (Millionaire Soldier #3)
  • His Air Force Hero (Millionaire Soldier #4)
  • Her Navy Hero (Millionaire Soldier #2)
  • Product:Person
  • Deep Wounds: Fortune Of Faith
  • A Strict Lesson (Strict #1)
  • Just For Megan
I grew up in Morristown, New Jersey with my brother and sister. We share treasured memories of high school, the Jersey shore and skiing with cousins in Mt. Snow, Vermont, all of which became part of April's Heart. I went to college in Washington, DC and became a teacher. I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia with my husband of thirty years. Our two boys are in their twenties making their own way in t ...more

News & Interviews