Start by marking “Darling Hedgehog: Goes Down a Foxhole” as Want to Read:
Darling Hedgehog: Goes Down a Foxhole

Darling Hedgehog: Goes Down a Foxhole

In this early reader chapter book, Darling Hedgehog goes on an adventure to look for her parents who have dropped out-of-sight.

Darling introduces herself to Miss Fox. Miss Fox gives her gifts, and Darling is distracted from her mission. The two animals look for things to do together in fantastical attempts to be friendly. When Darling enters Miss Fox's kitchen, she
Published August 8th 2019 by Capture Books

To ask other readers questions about Darling Hedgehog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darling Hedgehog

Start your review of Darling Hedgehog: Goes Down a Foxhole
MissBecka
I did not care for this.

(view spoiler)
All these things with just "okay" illustrations made this less than enjoyable.
Thanks to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for my DRC.
Dec 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: celebrate-lit, review
When I select a book to review, I either skim the synopsis or skip it entirely because I do not want to know any of the details of what happens within the pages until I actually read them myself. To avoid developing preconceived notions, I do the same with any reviews that have already been written about the book. As a result, I chose to review this children’s book based on the cute cover and the title. I love reading about nature, both fictional and factual, and enjoy anthropomorphic stories.

Maureen Timerman
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author has provided a darling book that is suggested for kindergarten to second grade, or ages 4 to 8.
The illustration draws the eye, and quickly got my 4-year-old nieces attention, she could hardly wait for me to turn the page!
There are life lessons here, with cute facts are offered, and without even realizing it they know a lot about hedgehogs!
This has quickly become a requested book, and we are reading it on our own!
I received this book Celebrate Lit, and was not required to give a
Susan
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was drawn to this book because we’ve had two pet hedgehogs in our family. They are adorable, sweet little animals! This easy reader for children (aimed at first and second grades) follows Darling Hedgehog as she deals with crafty Miss Fox.

I enjoyed the book. The story was nothing earth-shattering, but with the intended audience I wouldn’t expect it to be. There are lessons Darling learns as she makes her way through the events (one issue: I wish Darling had freed all the animals at the end,
Vivienne
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, children
Beware of crafty foxes!

Thank you to BooksGoSocial for a digital edition of ‘Darling Hedgehog Goes Down a Foxhole’, written by Auralee Arkinsly and illustrated by Julie Swezy, in exchange for an honest review.

This is a chapter book intended for early readers. It’s a sweet cautionary tale about a hedgehog named Darling whose parents are missing. Darling falls into a foxhole and rolls out the other end where she meets Miss Fox.

Miss Fox addresses her as ‘Dumpling’, which should cause some concern.
Julia
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Darling Hedgehog Goes Down A Foxhole by Auralee Arkinsly is a charming book for young children ages eight years and below. It is beautifully illustrated by Julia Swezy. I only had a black and white copy on my kindle and I imagine a paperback in colour would be stunning.
The book has some life lessons to be learnt – trust must be earnt; be brave; find what you are good at. These are all starting points for discussions with your child.
With simple sentences this book is ideal to read aloud to young
Marilyn
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, cl-tour, children
Darling Hedgehog Goes Down a Foxhole is a cute story for children eight and younger. The story and illustrations will appeal to young girls and even some boys will enjoy this nature story set to life. Darling meeting with Mrs. Fox gave way to wanting to please her, until later when she found something quit unexpected in the cabinet. Darling learned her lesson that not every friendly individual is a friend but may be “sly as a fox” in thinking of their own desires. Parents or teachers will be ...more
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
I struggled with this book. A hedgehog's parent's are missing and she falls down a foxhole. The fox tries to befriend her to get the hedgehog to let her guard down, but the things this fox is asking Darling, the hedgehog, to do, are very odd. The tutu was very weird, and I didn't quite understand why. I know that this book was meant to caution against strangers, but I just don't feel that it did a great job of that. The illustrations felt unfinished as well, making the overall experience ...more
Cherry London
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First off, I have to say I love the cover and little Darling and her curiosity. She thought to go looking for her parents who have been missing. But instead, she found Miss fox, oh boy, and she was a cunning and smooth one indeed.
A cute little book in which little Darling learned a valuable lesson after freeing her parents from the cage prison in Miss fox’s kitchen. The warnings of never trust a stranger, for not everyone you meet, will mean you well, is ever so true in this book.
Laura Bartnick
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommends
I adore this fantasy-nature story about a small hedgehog encountering a natural opposite! Sweet with a WOW! The simile being "as sly as a fox" is a lesson that second graders are able to learn, and the concepts about identifying oneself and one's opposite or a disguised opponent is an entirely valuable lesson in the real world. The detailed images are bright and beautiful.
Amanda Williams
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice moral lesson and cute facts about hedgehogs, what's not to like. I liked the illustrations too and found this book to be quite darling.
Jeanette Fallon
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have three grandchildren and at one time or another, I would take them to the library. We had a great time picking out books, play on the computer and enjoying what the library offers. My grandkids would pick out one book to take to Nannie's house to snuggle and read. I am sure that this book would be one that would land up in our book bag.

The illustrations in this book were so precious. It made me think of some of the illustrations you can find in a Beatrix Potter or Tasha Tudor book.

The
Nicole
This review is going to be a little different than my normal posts. Today, you are getting a two-for-one — one mini-review from my point of view and one from my 7-year old, Bella!

Mom’s Review: I love two things about this children’s chapter book. First, I adore the illustrations. They’re colorful, they’re bright, they add a nice touch of humor, and they help tell a good story. The second thing I appreciate, as a mom, is the lesson this book teaches children. “Not every stranger can be a friend”
Erin
Shelves: celebrate-lit
My Thoughts on Darling Hedgehog Goes Down A Foxhole:

Have you ever found a cute children’s book that you enjoy reading to your kids? I have found a few before but this is definitely a title that can be added to the list. It’s not annoying. I’ve not grown tired of it yet.

Think a new Aesops Fable and you’ll be on the right track to what this book is like. It’s super cute with a good lesson to teach. Written to be read to your children or for kids beginning to read chapter books. It gives the age
Chautona Havig
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Told in a whimsical style, Darling Hedgehog Goes Down a Foxhole is a cautionary tale about trusting people just because they do nice things for you. The book opens strong and with that hint of ominous warning of what’s to come, and ends with a nice happily-ever-after. Adorable, colorful illustrations accompany the text, and the size is perfect for the chapter book it was designed to be.

I do have a couple of quibbles.

First, Darling’s obsession with “doing something nice” for someone who gave her
Jennifer Sienes
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I love children’s stories, especially those with a life lesson. Auralee Arkinsly is clearly sharing an important lesson in her book Darling Hedgehog Goes Down a Foxhole (illustrated by Julia Swezy). As a former teacher, I also understand the importance of not “dummying down” vocabulary for young children. It’s not a bad thing when a child must ask what a word means. However, pre-K children will need more than a few words defined for them. This seems to be illustrated for young children but ...more
Sara Jane Jacobs
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
For me, when it comes to children's books it's always wonderful illustrations that draw me in and I thought the ones in this story were super-cute! This is a cautionary tale which I found it to be very thought-provoking. Although it is classified as an early reader chapter book, to me it seems more like a "read it with your children" kind of book. I would even suggest that parents read it first to assess the age appropriateness and consider how their children might react to the story. This tale ...more
Kathy
Dec 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2019
Darling Hedgehog really is darling. And even if she is easily distracted, she has a good heart. But she has much to learn about the nature of animals.

Children will enjoy this book either as a picture book to have read to them, or as an Easy Reader to read on their own. There are lessons to be learned throughout the book, so readers can discover something new each time they read it. It is divided into three chapters so a new reader will have the freedom to put it down and return to it at a later
ArynTheLibraryan
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
When we first read Darling Hedgehog Goes Down a Foxhole, I went through a range of responses. I guess I'm a suspicious person (at least when I'm reading) because I kept expecting something dramatic and bad to happen.

There is wisdom in searching for your lost parents, but Darling Hedgehog was easily distracted from her mission. There is wisdom for kids in finding out how to discern their particular talents. Maybe when your parents have suddenly gone missing isn't the best time, but hey, that sly
Carol Keen
As you have probably guessed by now, Darling is a young hedgehog. When her parents go missing, she goes to find them. That's how she finds herself down a fox hole, and out the other side.
Here she meets a stranger, Miss Fox, who dresses her up and calls her "Dumpling." That's scary!

From there it gets scarier. Poor Darling is starved for a good friend. What lengths will she go to to keep Miss Fox as a "friend" and who will pay the ultimate price?

Now, I very familiar with hedgehogs and I didn't
Becky Dempsey
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought this would be a cute book because I like hedgehogs but I was confused with what the book was trying to convey. It seemed like it was encouraging kids to be friends with those that are different than us, but then that "new friend" turns out to be not someone she should be friends with. So maybe the book is trying to say you shouldn't trust new people? I also wasn't sure if the fox was trying to be a legitimate friend to the hedgehog or if she had ulterior motives since she had to know ...more
Suzie Waltner
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is written for first through third graders and is well done for that age range. The sentences are nice and short, the vocabulary is basic, and the illustrations are adorable, fitting the story well.
Within the technical elements in the story is a cautionary tale about listening to strangers and becoming sidetracked by material things or fun activities. There are some parts of this story that had me scratching my head and I wished they’d either been hammered out a little more or left out
Erica Nicole Pait
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a fun little read. I enjoyed how sweet Darling was. The story could be a little frightening for children, but probably not more so than any other fairytale where children are eaten up by goblins or such. The illustrations were nice, and I think my little sister will enjoy this book. I'll probably even put it in a future classroom of mine. The first chapter was a bit disproportional to the rest, but that's a-okay. Definitely a book you'd want to grab from the library, but unless ...more
Nyla
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Darling Hedgehog Goes Down a Foxhole by author Auralee Arkinsly is a whimsical Children’s book for ages about four to eight. Hedgehogs seem to be popular so children will be excited about reading a book about the adventures of one.

The writing in this chapter book is nice. Kids will learn about hedgehogs while being entertained. Older children should be able to follow along as you read to them or possibly read it to you.

I loved that the little hedgehog was named Darling. The lesson taught of
Connie Saunders
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story of a little hedgehog named Darling who goes searching for her missing parents and finds herself making friends with beautiful Miss Fox. At first all seems fine as they enjoy getting to know each other. And then, "All of a sudden it felt awkward trying to be friends" and Darling Hedgehog realizes that maybe a friendship with Miss Fox is not meant to be. After finding her parents trapped in Miss Fox's kitchen, Papa Hedgehog explains to Darling that "We've each learned a lesson ...more
Connie Carpenter
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfectly geared toward preschool to about 3rd grade. My oldest son is in 3rd grade, while he told me he thought it was childish --- he listened while we read the book. This is a super cute story with beautifully done illustrations. The story is easy to read that my still learning to read 1st grader was able to follow along. The storyline is a great reminder to children. Not all who are nice to you are your true friends. It is an important reminder to children especially this day in ...more
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
I thought this was such a cute story, with adorable illustrations to go with it. Perfect for early listeners/readers, this story holds a good message but allows children to have fun while reading. What a fantastic idea to have a hedgehog as the main character – Darling was charming, sweet, and was fun to watch. I love reading books with animals as main characters. I think it just really grabs a little person’s attention better, and allows imaginations to soar.

I truly have to compliment the
Janice Sisemore
Dec 14, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
Darling is such an adorable Hedgehog. I enjoyed the story of Darling and the Fox. She wants to find her parents but finds the fox instead. Darling wants some do something to help out the fox for being so kind to her.
I love the illustrations in the book. This book is a beautiful book to read to your child or one for them to read themselves. I would recommend this book — also, a great lesson to learn from the book for children and adults.
I received a complimentary copy of the book from the
Jane
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stranger Danger - something every parent warns their children about. Auralee Arkinsly has crafted a story to help parents teach this lesson. In Darling Hedgehog Goes Down a Foxhole Darling Hedgehog is separated for her parents. While looking for then she is befriended by a fox. Darling learns that not all is at seems and that some “people” are tricky. It is sad that a book like this is necessary but unfortunately it is. Arkinsly approaches stranger danger from a somewhat non-threatening point of ...more
Lucy
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an adorable book to read to your children or grandchildren or have them practice reading to you. I love the illustrations and how they bring the story to life. I found myself grinning from ear to ear. The story is unique and uses vivid imagery. Would make a wonderful gift. I may be an adult but I enjoyed it and read it over the phone to my mom and she loved it.
I received a complimentary copy from CelebrateLit/author. The honest review and opinions are my own and were not required.

• The Barn Quilt: A Christmas Story
  • In the Cradle Lies (Tree of Life #2)
  • Focused Backstory: The Key to Writing Deep Character Journeys
  • Christmas on Breakers Point (Independence Islands Book 1)
  • Lake Season (Bluebell Inn Romance, #1)
  • The Wedding Dress Christmas (The Wedding Collection)
  • Wings Like a Dove
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • The Dating Charade
  • No Space Like Home (Stars of Hiraeth)
  • Heart of a Royal (Daughters of Peverell #1)
  • The Camera Never Lies
  • An Amish Christmas Bakery
  • The Melody of the Mulberries (Big Creek)
  • Smoke Screen
  • The Amish Marriage Bargain
  • Mistletoe Mission (Christmas Holiday Extravaganza)
  • breath  of joy winter whispers