Start by marking “The Lost Colony (The Long Winter, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Colony (The Long Winter, #3)

The Lost Colony

(The Long Winter #3)

Can humanity survive on a new world?

On Eos, the last survivors of the Long Winter face their greatest challenge yet--and race to unravel the deepest secrets of the grid. It's a journey across space and time and into humanity's past and future--with a twist you'll never forget.
Published November 12th 2019 by Legion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Colony, please sign up.
B
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Lost Colony (The Long Winter, #3)
Karen
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this series although I found the alternative reality sub-plot (that comprised a third of this book) confusing. Nonetheless, an interesting and creative sci-fi series worth reading.
Aristotle
Jan 04, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace... oh, shut up!

This was ultimately a waste of time. Part Jurassic Park part Matrix part what the hell was that?
Let me tell you what the good was. Very short chapters, large fonts with a lot of space between the words, and many pages were half blank made this a very fast read. That's the good.
The bad? You have too read books one and two to get to a very unsatisfy
Pat
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it
2.75 stars rounded up. What a shame, this could have been a lot better. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the story, the concept and the series. What let this book down was... I have a friend who often uses movie analogies, think of it like this - someone is rescued after being held captive for some time. A joyous reunion, but I’m thinking hey, they’ve been locked up for (a long time) they would have pissed themselves and not cleaned their teeth or washed and you wouldn’t be going for the tongue kiss. ...more
Szilárd Balla, Dr
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I do not know where things went wrong, but at times even during the first quarter of the story it was soooo boring I literally had to force myself to carry on. Why did we need hours of E.Rex attacks and translucent scorpions when all of this had no meaning neither any effect on the story line or character development? The whole problem gets really annoying when you realise at the end that the idea is indeed good and lands a punch on your face, so why not throw the garbage away and write a proper ...more
Michael Lever
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing. The first in this trilogy made a great start. The second became mired and led me to consider in my review of it, that given the decline in writing evident, I would not be surprised were the third book to resort to a similar technique to the TV series Lost: An altogether implausible appeal to alternative realities that make previous plots largely irrelevant.

Sadly, this turns out to be the case with most of the third book spent on alternative dimensions and timelines in an atte
Chase
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Lea
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great twist of an ending to a thrilling series

I thoroughly enjoyed this last book and did not expect the twisted ending . It’s not going to leave you disappointed though , never fear! Pretty much speechless but I really value the fact that every series or stand alone book is really smart (sometimes a little over my head) but also relatable and addictive to finish. Can’t wait to see what’s next. Sad the story of James, Emma , Oscar and “the gang” is over. You will not be disappointed. I am sur
Christie
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The beginning and ending were fine, but the middle was long and drawn out. I had a hard time getting through it because it gave you no clue how it was getting to the end. I have a feeling that it was mainly just to fill the pages. The ending referenced a couple things that happened in the middle to tie them together, but that could have been achieved with a much shorter middle part. I'm still not sure why the grid, with its infinite knowledge, doesn't consider the e rex to be a threat to the hum ...more
G.H. Eckel
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
The Lost Colony is 2.5 books between two covers. In book 1, the last of humanity, holed up on a foreign planet fight for survival with dinosaurs, transparent scorpions, the weather, and robots. In book 2, the history of man, technology and robots is revealed, which answers the question why, in Book 1, Oscar, the robot, saves our protagonist in spite of the fact that robots exterminated most living things. In book 0.5, we're back on the planet exploring what the robots left.

Book 2 is meant to blo
Elwood
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
speed reading made this tolerable.
Peter Noll
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I took a break from reading this book because it got so dark and hopeless in the middle, but I picked it up again and it got better again. Still, the situation the characters were facing never became easy and new challenges appeared for them constantly. The end was an unexpected and surprising twist that I didn't see coming. The book combines a lot of problems of technology that we are facing and the possible outcomes for us. It contains a thoughtful consideration of human ambition, folly and fr ...more
Noodle The Naughty Night Owl
6/10: Good light-weight read, well done.

Even now, our fate is linked to the grid.

OK, so it would be so easy to spoil things in this review because what I have to say is intricately woven into the story itself; the twists, the shocks, the revelations, the ending.

I didn't see it coming at first and will admit that I got a bit confused part way through when (view spoiler). But the beau
Tammy
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I loved book one! I loved book two except for the open ending with so many questions left. This has been an excellent series and book three was going to be the wonderful ending and answer all the questions. Spoiler alert: time loops in a computer? Come on this was a mixed up confused mess. The writing style change so much that I think the author was in a time loops in a computer.
Ben McBride
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommendbyben
INCREDIBLE!!! I don't know what else to say, This series delivered on every level. I'm left in shock and awe; sad that my time in this universe has ended. An incredible trilogy ,extremely well written, With characters that I will remember for years.
Debbie
Dec 03, 2019 added it
The ENTIRE trilogy is a non-stop must read!!!!

I loved the entire trilogy. Easy reading, as; Other authors that are in my top five now. He shall be added. You just put yourself right in the story, it
Is that descriptive, but not overly wordy. You are
not bothered by proofreading overlooks, misspellings, etc. The whole "grid" 👽 alien is
an entirely new concept, in my opinion. Traveling
thousands of light years to a new planet to
generate a new earth is so descriptive you actually feel yourself in t
Donna
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As always COMPLETELY RIVETING!!

I just couldn't put the Lost Colony down. I'd be reading it in my chair, then take it with me all day long every time I had an extra 5 minutes I'd be opening the Kindle APP to read a little bit more. I even risked using the phone in the restroom AT the Gym. (Hid in the shower just to read a few pages) I especially LOVED the Arguments between Oscar and Arthur or Bob can't keep those 2 separate. I'm totally bummed NOW that it's over. I was actually hoping for more in
Greg
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A satisfying, though convoluted, conclusion to a startlingly original and thrilling series! The first book, Winter World, blew me away. The second, The Solar War, retrod some of the same ground before taking flight and blowing me away once again. This novel ties it all up with a fairly familiar troupe and a happy ending that nevertheless sounds a cautionary note. Well done, A. G. Riddle!
Barbara Giles
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Jen
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really interesting and a big departure from where the story began in book 1 (The Long Winter). I got to about 75% and the science got a little complicated - I don't know how Riddle came up with it but it was fascinating.

This last book brought a nice, satisfying end to the series. And Eduardo Ballerini and Amanda Leigh Cobb were expert narrators.
Jess
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I started off really excited to be on the new colony! Then I got less excited as the book turned into Jurassic World for a long time. Then I got really confused and sorta let down but mostly just confused. AG Riddle is clearly more brilliant than I am, that’s for sure. I applaud the effort! But I wish the ending was more... consumable. It was overwritten (similar to Atlantis Gene).
Said AlMaskery
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english-novels
Very interesting ending for the trilogy ... enjoyed it !
Marquita Graves
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Please read the first two books before you start this one. This is definitely a trilogy that needs to be read in order. I was totally engrossed in the previous books, The Winter World and The Solar War, and had thought of several possible ways the trilogy might end. They all seemed cliched and lame. However, the ending the author chose was unexpected, thought provoking, and strangely satisfying. Well worth the reading.
Marika Charalambous
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I eagerly awaited the last book in the trilogy, so I grabbed it as soon as it came out. It was a good read, although different from what I thought it would be. Unexpected. Maybe that's why it was slightly disappointing. Still a fun read, with our favorite characters, but the resolution seemed to me a bit rushed. Also, at times I got lost in all the rocket-science speak, it went way over my head, so I found myself scrolling past paragraphs.
Jessica
Jan 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
Didn’t finish it

The first 2 books were pretty good, I could not get through this, it was ridiculous to have half of the book start all over again like the first 2 books didn’t happen, just the last couple hundred pages of the 3rd book.....or did it....who knows, who cares. I couldn’t finish it.
Steve
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good conclusion to the series, but it takes some crazy, fanciful turns that push even the bounds of sci-fi. I liked it... but it was a lot to pack into the last third of a book that was the last third of a trilogy.
Debbie Walker
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Very Disappointing. Really liked the first two books. The beginning and end were good but the rest was boring and a waste of time. The only reason I finished it is I was hoping it would get better.
ConciseAlan
Sadly, after a great series start, this is little better than the awful second book. If the author could go back in time, I would recommend adding an additional chapter in the first book to summarize the important things in the next two and then leave it as a standalone. I hate giving two star ratings. Worse, I hate reading them. The concept of the series is compelling. The execution after the first book: not so much.
Not Recommended
Paul Thompson
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

This was a totally wonderful story. There was a weaving of ideas, a drawing together of hints from the past and an offering of a vision of what is means to live and also to face up to one's own mortality. At one point I had to pause and pour another glass of wine (I was cooking at that point while also reading and enjoying a drink) and reflect on the unfolding story. Yes, wow!
Krasimir Tsonev
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Again Riddle delivers a good pace. There is that specific tension from the previous two books. I do like the ending even though some people find it unsatisfactory. I take it as a mistake the fact that I read the "The Origin Mystery" series before wrapping "The Long Winter". If you check them both you'll see a lot of similar ideas. Which I guess is fine. That's what is in the author's head at the moment. I like the visuals, the characters and the dialogs.
S. Avery
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A True Rollercoaster

As always A.G. Riddle's wonderful writing style pulls you into the story and won't let you go until the end. I loved the first 2 parts of this trilogy. All the right elements are present: adventure, excitement, drama, clever solutions, humor, a bit of romance. I loved the third part as well but with so many things going wrong in the first half I was struggling to come up for air and then I lost my way for a bit in the grid. But it has a satisfying end and I can't wait to see

• A Talent for Killing
  • The 7th Victim (Karen Vail, #1)
  • The Sleep Experiment
  • The Enigma Cube
  • Extinction Crisis
  • Augmented
  • Extinction Countdown
  • Tracking Game (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #5)
  • The Dreaming Tree
  • A Pivot In Time (Alien Artifact Book 2)
  • Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)
  • 3zekiel
  • The Last Tyrant (The Last War, #6)
  • Extinction Point: Kings
  • Supernova Era
  • Occupied Earth (The Sequel to First Encounter) (Ascension Wars Book 2)
  • The Last Champion (The Last War #4)
  • Last Light (The Last Light #1)
A.G. Riddle spent ten years starting internet companies before retiring to pursue his true passion: writing fiction.

His debut novel, The Atlantis Gene, is the first book in The Origin Mystery, the trilogy that has sold a million copies in the US, is being translated into 19 languages, and is in development at CBS Films to be a major motion picture. The trilogy will be in bookstores (in hardcover a

The Long Winter (3 books)
  • Winter World (The Long Winter, #1)
  • The Solar War (The Long Winter, #2)