Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Wat te doen als iemand sterft” as Want to Read:
Wat te doen als iemand sterft
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Wat te doen als iemand sterft

by
3.5  ·  Rating Details ·  2,150 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews
Ellies leven neemt een dramatische wending als haar grote liefde Greg omkomt bij een auto-ongeluk. Een vrouw die bij hem in de auto zat, heeft het ongeluk evenmin overleefd. Zij wordt geïdentificeerd als Milena Livingstone, maar voor Ellie en haar omgeving is zij een onbekende. Alles wijst er echter op dat Greg en Milena een verhouding hadden.
Hoe moet je verder als je era
...more
Hardcover, 304 pages
Published September 27th 2008 by Anthos (first published 2008)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.
This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Suraj Kumar
May 25, 2017 Suraj Kumar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
What to do when Someone Dies is a novel with a gripping plot by Nicci French. It is aCrime Fiction, which keeps you engaged till the end. It is, indeed, a compulsive page- turner.

*The after and the before…

What to do when Someone Dies is the story of Ellie Faulkner after her husband, Greg dies in a car crash. What makes this accident interesting is an unknown lady who was found dead along with Greg in his car. Ellie knows nothing about this mysterious lady called Milena Livingstone. Everyone come
...more
Bern
At first, I felt a bit at odds with What To Do When Someone Dies, mainly due to the clinical and dry attitude of its main character, Ellie. Starting from when two policewomen knock at her door and announce regretfully to her that her husband, Greg, has died in a car accident along with an unknown woman in his copilot seat, Ellie narrates her first person account of her refusal to believe that Greg had been cheating on her with the woman in his car, and of how she resorted to all sorts of things ...more
Jill
Mar 25, 2016 Jill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first Nicci French novel, and will be my last, unless I'm stick in a snowed in airport for a day and there's absolutely positively nothing else to read except the signs. Formulaic and plodding, very few aspects of this story were interesting let alone thrilling, were plausible let alone truly believable.

The main character was clearly out of her mind, suffering from head trauma or just not very intelligent. Some of the characters around her made a little more sense, although what one of them,
...more
Aeilyn missbook S g
"Los muertos no hablan", se presenta ante el mundo como una novela detectivesca. Su misión, página tras página, es encontrar la verdad ¿Cuál? La que necesita conocer Ellie, quien si bien acepta la muerte de Greg, su amado esposo, se niega a creer que aquella mujer desconocida por todo su núcleo era su amante. Desde ese día, su único propósito será saber qué ocurrió realmente. Para ello hará cosas que nunca imaginó, valiéndose de toda la agudeza y astucia que sólo una mujer dolida puede tener.

Es
...more
Nathalie
Dec 13, 2009 Nathalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-read, own
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Natasha
Apr 11, 2011 Natasha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not entralled by the ending at all. I feel like I've just read words on a page, and it has been a waste of my time. I don't think I will pick up a Nicci French book up again.
Catherinehaine Haines
An interesting read about a women's husband dying in a car crash with an unknown women. This is the wife's quest to prove that her husband was not having an affair.
As a grieving widow I feel she was more worried about her husband not having had an affair. A bit concerned she fell into bed with somebody she hardly knew , so I can only assume she was in shock.
I feel it is worth reading ,and would say pick it up and decide whether it's for you.
Lorna Gilder
Ellie's husband dies in a car crash with a woman who she has never heard of. She refuses to accept he was having an affair and dedicates her time to proving this.
Some twists make this a readable crime story although not always believable in parts.
Ingrid Verschelling
Apr 12, 2013 Ingrid Verschelling rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, thriller
Wat te doen als iemand sterft is alweer het elfde boek van het schrijversduo.

Ellie Falkner, een vierendertigjarige meubelrestaurateur, krijgt het verschrikkelijke bericht van de politie, dat haar man is omgekomen bij een auto-ongeluk. Als blijkt dat Greg, haar man, niet alleen in de auto zat maar met een voor Ellie onbekende vrouw komen de vragen als vanzelf bovendrijven met als gevolg achterdocht en onzekerheid.

Iedereen denkt, dat Greg een verhouding heeft gehad met deze vrouw, die Milena Livin
...more
Rachael Hewison
For a ‘thriller’ I didn’t find it very thrilling. There wasn’t really any suspense, excitement or even much of a suspicion of murder. I think it was mentioned briefly by Ellie about half way through but the rest of the novel just concentrated on her obsession with her husband and Milena, the woman he died with.

It was very slow going and not a lot was covered in the story. Ellie wavers between believing her husband hadn’t cheated to thinking he had, does a bit of investigating and then the story
...more
ruzmarì
I always love Nicci French's novels. The narratives walk a line between horrifically unimaginable and absolutely plausible, so that you find yourself locking every door a bit more attentively when you've finished a book and watching for the details of daily life that can so easily turn against you.

One of the things this writing team does so well is show the survivor of crime as the only person with a true grasp on reality, while the rest of the world goes about its business, quick to label the s
...more
Susan
This is only my third Nicci French novel and it's completely different to the first two books I read.

The beginning and end are the page turners that I've come to expect in a Nicci French story. Towards the end I became confused when Ellie's narrative turns into a stream of consciousness. It took me a few re-reads of the paragraph where this begins before I realised that Ellie is talking to her dead husband.

I found the middle of the story almost boring at times, and felt it wasn't grounded in rea
...more
Els
Feb 08, 2017 Els rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over dit boek heb ik vrij lang gedaan en deze keer is het niet omdat ik er mij door moest worstelen. Het kwam gewoon door gebrek aan tijd. Ik had nochtans besloten om deze auteur links te laten liggen, maar ik had de indruk dat ik deze toch een kans moest geven. Ik ben blij dat ik het gedaan heb. Het was geen supergoed maar ook geen slecht boek. Het einde viel wat tegen. Niet door de ontknoping maar wel omdat ze dan in de wat ik noem zweverige sfeer hervallen wat mij in de andere boeken stoorde. ...more
comfort
I saw this as a movie and decided to see what the book was like. The book of course was different and better and more complex.

A very happily married couple say good bye to each other in the morning- he promises to be home in time for dinner. He isn't. She leaves him some scathing voice messages since he won't even pick up his phone. Then......

The police turn up at her doorstep, saying there has been an accident and her husband in dead and there is also a woman in the car with him (whom they assu
...more
James
Sep 15, 2013 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, crime
A competently written thriller undermined by the fact that after 5 pages you can pretty much figure out what will happen an 100 pages in you know with certainty. I guess the lack of surprises could be a surprise. But for much of book it's like there is a purple imp screaming from the pages it's me I did it look at me!.

In short the story starts when a woman is informed that her husband has died in a car crash and what appears to be worse is that there was a woman in the car with him. Everyone pr
...more
Melanie Garrett
This started out with much promise. For the first half it's on solid NF territory, where a relatively normal fear (losing one's spouse) escalates into something much more sinister. The question is, what would you do if your spouse were to be killed in an accident, alongside someone you've never heard of, and it starts to become apparent that you've been living a lie without realising it? So far, so very NF. But the problem is that the things the heroine does do are just too far-fetched. While it ...more
Annette Rothery
Nov 10, 2013 Annette Rothery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rather different scenario. More a "find the truth" than "solve the crime" story that I really enjoyed. I was as keen to find the truth as Ellie the principal character and Nicci French really did create tension, although I didn't know whether I was more frightened for her or by what she was doing and the trouble she could get herself into. If you like a mystery but want a change from the detective and whodunnit murder stories I can certainly recommend that you give this one a try.
Cathy
Mar 23, 2009 Cathy rated it it was ok
I'd have given this 2 and a half stars if possible but since it's not worth three I went with this rating. It's different from other NF novels in my opinion.

The first few dozen pages are ok and interesting but the entire middle part bored me endlessly. I love Nicci French novels so this was quite the let down. In the end, I thought the plot was actually good and liked the way everything folded out. It was just getting there that was too painful.
Lightblue
Jan 27, 2014 Lightblue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never believe in what they want you to believe
Una storia piena di suspance, su cui non riuscivo a smettere di ragionare e che mi ha fatto pensare che, se mai sarò in grado di scrivere un thriller, vorrei che fosse così. E' vero che il colpevole si capisce già a metà libro e che ci sono alcune cosette un po' tirate per i capelli, ma 4 stelline le merita tutte, se non altro per la protagonista Ellie, un personaggio davvero riuscito.
Letto a Lisbona.
Prestito di Sara.
Leslea
Apr 30, 2015 Leslea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a good story - husband killed in car accident with unknown woman in the car with him - his wife is then left to work out if her husband was having an affair and was her marriage all she thought it was. It is ruled as an accident but Ellie decides to believe in her dead husband and thinks it is murder. Off she goes sleuthing! I guessed before the end but still quite an enjoyable read.
J.A. Kerr
Jun 06, 2016 J.A. Kerr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book and love the way French weaves the story around tragic circumstances in a way that has you hooked from the start. Believable characters that you warm to and a plot that keeps you guessing although a little predictable at the end it makes for an enjoyable read:)
Emily
Aug 19, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a terrific fast-paced thriller about a woman trying to find out
the truth about her recently dead husband.
Anne
Aug 18, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book which is a real page-turner with a very good plot and a true insight in people's mind and feelings . I'd recommend it

Suzannah
Jul 31, 2010 Suzannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put down. Excellent.
Chrisje Stultiens
May 15, 2017 Chrisje Stultiens rated it liked it
Zo blij dat ik binnenkort 'Zondag' E.I.N.D.E.L.I.J.K. kan lezen. Het zevende boek over de psychologe Frieda Klein en alle personages rondom haar... Het duo Nicci French heeft al veel thrillers samen geschreven. Ik ben gezond jaloers. Tussendoor lees ik even 3 andere verhalen van hun hand.

Schrijversechtpaar Nicci French
One writer. Two minds. Het koppel Nicci Gerard en Sean French pent bestsellers. Miljoenen boeken gaan over de toonbank of reizen virtueel naar de e-reader. Ik kijk zuchtend naar ee
...more
Shayla Morgansen
Jun 30, 2017 Shayla Morgansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My uncle and cousin bought this for me a few years ago and I only just got around to reading it. I enjoyed this read, and found myself engrossed and wanting to know what would happen next. On the very first page, Ellie learns that her husband has just been killed in a car accident. What follows is a highly detailed account of her paralysing grieving process, as she first learns that he died with another woman, struggles to accept that he could have been betraying her, and then sets out to try an ...more
Karin Diricx
Jul 25, 2017 Karin Diricx rated it liked it
Vroeger al gelezen
Helga Beuckelaers
Jul 09, 2017 Helga Beuckelaers rated it really liked it
Goed, vlot en spannend, zoals verwacht van een boek van Nicci French
Laura
May 04, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My cousin read this a few weeks ago, and she urged me to read it, saying she couldn’t put it down, but to be honest, I’m not sure I agree.

The premise was good, a young woman, Ellie Falkner, is making dinner one evening, when two police officers knock on her door, bringing the news that her husband, Greg Manning, has been killed in a car crash, and that he was with a woman, a woman Ellie doesn’t know, who was more-than-likely to be Greg’s lover. Ellie refuses to believe it, and while those around
...more
Tricia Riley
I really struggled to finish this book. The start was ok but when she started her fake identity it kind of lost me. When it was all resolved at the end I realised I didn't care. I felt a bit flat.

I know others have really enjoyed this book but it just didn't do it for me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
Goodreads Librari...: Nicci French cover 8 23 Jan 02, 2015 09:58AM  
  • Herfstlied
  • Dwaalspoor
  • Koude lente (Paul Vegter #2)
  • Terug naar de kust
  • Oversteken
  • Close-up
  • The Coldest Blood (Philip Dryden, #4)
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Drømmefangeren (Cato Isaksen #2)
  • City of Lies
  • Missing Persons
  • Après-Ski
183956
Note: (Nicci Gerrard and Sean French also write separately.)

Nicci Gerrard was born in June 1958 in Worcestershire. After graduating with a first class honours degree in English Literature from Oxford University, she began her first job, working with emotionally disturbed children in Sheffield. In that same year she married journalist Colin Hughes.

In the early eighties she taught English Literature
...more
More about Nicci French...

Share This Book



“Todo el mundo tiene secretos. Todos hacemos cosas que no queremos que se sepan.” 0 likes
“No hace falta estar familiarizado con la muerte para reconocerla.” 0 likes
More quotes…