Start by marking “Field of Poppies” as Want to Read:
Field of Poppies

Field of Poppies

Keen to escape the pressures of city life, Marsali Swift and her husband William are drawn to Listowel, a glorious historic mansion in the seemingly tranquil small town of Muckleton. There is time to read, garden, decorate, play chess and befriend the locals.

Yet one night Listowel is robbed, and soon after a neighbour is murdered. The violent history of the couple's
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 264 pages
Published November 1st 2019 by Transit Lounge

To ask other readers questions about Field of Poppies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Field of Poppies

Start your review of Field of Poppies
Lisa
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: c21st, australia, 19review
I was really looking forward to reading Carmel Bird's latest novel, and I am pleased to say that it does not disappoint!

The voice in this latest novel from one of our best-loved writers is just like one of my dearest friends. Chatty, discursive, and intelligent; knowledgeable about the history of the world and sensitive to its contemporary woes; warm, witty and kind. But reading Field of Poppies is not just like a long, leisurely intimate conversation with someone whose wisdom I treasure, it's
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘Stories never really ‘end’ but the telling has to stop somewhere.’

Marsali Swift and her husband William had moved from Melbourne to the (fictional) town of Muckleton in the Victorian goldfields. Marsali, a retired interior designer and William, a semi-retired doctor thought that life in the country would be less pressured, more enjoyable, safer.

‘In our version of life in the countryside there would be a film group and fresh air and green politics and peace and quiet and singing in a choir and
Cass Moriarty
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had heard of author Carmel Bird of course, but I had not read her work until now. Her latest novel Field of Poppies (Transit Lounge 2019) is a literary wonder (and isn’t Transit Lounge producing some great literature?)
Field of Poppies is an almost dreamlike account of the events surrounding the lives of Marsali Swift and her husband William when they embark on a tree-change lifestyle and move into Listowel, an historic mansion in the quiet town of Muckleton in rural Victoria. The plot threaded
Lesley Moseley
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Well written and well drawn characters. Not sure if I like the format, but that's just MHO.
R H Young
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Field of Poppies is an excellent addition to the amazing body of work that Carmel Bird has produced over many years.
In Carmel’s inimitable and characteristic style, this novel is rich in symbolism and raises issues that are both current and timeless. The image of the field of poppies, drawn from Monet’s painting of the same title, is intriguing. The way in which it underpins the narrative both literally and figuratively is both puzzling and in a strange way, disturbing. Several references are
Linda
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reading this book is like sitting down with your best friend, talking about art and literature and sharing some friendly gossip. The details are exquisite, her descriptions of the landscape are particularly beautiful.
Lyn
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
This one didn’t resonate with me. Too much rambling on about side issues. I was interested in the town and the impact of the mine, and the disappearance of Alice, but there seemed to be an awful lot of irrelevant information. This just wasn’t my sort of book, or maybe I just didn’t get the point.
Judith
Feb 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Didn’t finish it, just wasn’t going anywhere. Not a fan of epistolary books
Rowena Eddy
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Carmel Bird is not for everyone, but I love her brand of black (very black in this book) humour. The book tells of a small town impacted by change and a middle-aged/elderly couple who go there to live.
Saturday's Child
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
And to think I almost decided not to read this.
Susan Griffin

• The Bee and the Orange Tree
  • Wearing Paper Dresses
  • Your Own Kind of Girl
  • The Returns
  • Darkness for Light (Caleb Zelic, #3)
  • Where the Dead Go
  • Dead Man Switch (A Billie Walker Mystery #1)
  • El Greco