Start by marking “Clover Kitty Goes to Kittygarten” as Want to Read:

Clover Kitty Goes to Kittygarten

Clover Kitty does NOT want to go to kittygarten! Although she might like a friend to play with, kittygarten feels overwhelming for a sensory-sensitive kitty like Clover. And when she arrives, it is exactly as she fears: her classroom is too loud, the lights are too bright, and everyone comes too close. So Clover throws a fit…and decides to quit kittygarten. But when a clas ...more
Published July 14th 2020 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about Clover Kitty Goes to Kittygarten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clover Kitty Goes to Kittygarten

Start your review of Clover Kitty Goes to Kittygarten
Sophie Crane
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
The Trials Of Kindergarten through the Eyes of a Cat

This Is Quite A good Read if you had A young one going that's to kindergarten for The First Time.

Jae
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet little book to be read to children just before their first day at school. The illustrations are lovely and will surely be enjoyed by most small children.
Diane
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-ya, ebook
Cute as buttons

This was a lovely little story mostly aimed at young children preparing to or just starting to go to Kindergarten. It can be scary and overwhelming for some, especially sensitive children and Clover represents them. She takes care of her needs and perseveres and in the end learns to enjoy it. Mostly. It helps to have understanding friends.

The illustrations are very well done and quite adorable. I love when Clover holds her nose!

I received this from the Amazon First Reads program.
Madeline  Worrell
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was highly recommended. I am not sure that I agree.

There is always one nay-sayer in the group, I guess this time it is me.
Mariah Roze
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mariah Roze by: Nicole Linnell
My friend won this book on Instagram for one of their giveaways, so I had to borrow it to read.

This is super cute book about a kitty going to kindergarten. This would be a good book to read to children around that age.

"Clover Kitty does NOT want to go to kittygarten! Although she might like a friend to play with, kittygarten feels overwhelming for a sensory-sensitive kitty like Clover. And when she arrives, it is exactly as she fears: her classroom is too loud, the lights are too bright, and ev
Emma
Jul 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrns
Well illustrated but the language was a bit too advanced (puns etc) for the age of children who would like the book.
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
We just got this book at our library, and it is the sweetest! I love all of the adorable "kitty" characters, especially Clover, Oliver, and Miss Snappytale! Kids starting school for the first time will be able to relate to the challenges (and sometimes stresses) of adjusting to a new classroom, as well as the fun of making new friends! I absolutely recommend this read!
Baby Bookworm
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews
Hello, friends! In honor of JJ’s first day of kindergarten, our book today is Clover Kitty Goes To Kittygarten, written by Laura Purdie Salas and illustrated by Hiroe Nakata.

Young Clover Kitty prefers calm things: knitting quietly, napping on a warm floor, slowly nibbling her kibble. Sometimes she wishes she had someone to share her calm activities with, but otherwise, she feels very safe and secure in her familiar routine. So when the time comes for Clover to head to Kittygarten, she’s very ner
Alex Sarll
One of the less glamorous benefits of Amazon Prime is a free book or two every month, but only from a very limited selection which is usually heavy on precisely those genres I approach with most suspicion - thrillers, historical romance, books which actually describe themselves as 'reading group fiction'. Compared to which, a picture book about a kitten with sensory issues is very much yes, this is relatable content for my household, feed it unto me right now. The plot is exactly as you'd expect ...more
Jane
Clover Kitty Goes to Kittygarten

I received "Clover Kitty Goes to Kittygarten" with my Prime membership benefits.

A great book to use with children about to enter kindergarten because it showed kindergarten from the view point of a shy child. First it shows typical activities in a kindergarten classroom, which can stimulate a discussion about what to expect in the child's first experience with school. Second it showed the Mommy Kitty's understanding of how hard the change is to kittygarten is for
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I won this from FirstReads, it's a wonderful story about a quiet, calm girl that gets overwhelmed by the activity and noise of her first day of Kindergarten and how she adjusts and learns to cope with the change. A great book to help prepare a shy child or a child with sensory issues for Kindergarten.
Chris
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
That's very cute.
S
Jul 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really not sure about this one

In an ideal world, I guess we hope that our children will be curious and /or excited about starting school. If however they are not, we read them a few books and find activities that will help to prepare them. This book does not help with that. If anything I think it gives children a negative expectation of what will happen around them and to them (it basically seemed to say that the teacher will be awful 'miss snippy tail' and no help and that all of the other chil
Melissa
The setup of this story made it seem like they were gong to discuss autism, but it didn't (at least not directly). In the end, friendship and adaptive strategies (a soft blanket and sunglasses for bright light) helped Clover Kitty overcome her aversions to the kittygarten classroom. But I wish there had been an author's note or something to help parents continue the conversation with their kids about friends who have different needs.
Valerie
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally, a book for sensory-overloaded children

As a late-diagnosed autistic adult, reading this book to my little one hit very close to home. It's a good way to help children with sensory sensitivities see that they're not alone and that they might be able to find ways to cope. It's also a great way for children without sensory issues to start to understand what their sensitive peers might be feeling.

Overall, I highly recommend this book and would love to see more like it!
Trisha
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sensory friendly book

Although I don't have a child with sensory issues, I appreciated learning more about how they feel. I think this book would be good to use to teach my children about how others might feel and how to be a friend to them. Clover's friend Oliver was calm and patient and became a friend because he accepted Clover and acknowledged her needs.
Stacie
Aug 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is quite the year of uncertainties when going back to school. I’m sure the author had no idea when she wrote this book that so many kindergartners would be apprehensive about going off to school for the first time. Now, this children’s picture book doesn’t address going back to school during a pandemic, but it does address the various issues children with sensory issues might have with going back to school and many of those concerns relate to what families are going through now.

Clover Kitty
Susan
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Clover Kitty loves being in her cozy, calm, quiet room. Sometimes she wishes for a friend, but mostly life is exactly as she wants it. That is, until Mama announced Clover would be beginning Kittygarten that day. Clover knew she was NOT ready! When Clover arrived at school, there was SO MUCH noise and SO MUCH light and SO MANY kitties. Instead of the quiet voices she heard at home, all of her classmates’ voices were vibrating through the classroom in excitement. All except for Oliver, who quietl ...more
Linda
Laura Purdie Salas has written a special story that is not her usual marvelous poetry books, but one just right for young ones heading to school for the first time. I imagine Laura did not expect that the book would be out when schools struggle about opening because of the pandemic. Nevertheless, it's a book that will especially help for any child with sensory issues, one who prefers a quiet room mostly alone.
Clover Kitty loves her life, perhaps thinks a friend would be nice sometimes, but mos
Robin  Lynn
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet

I enjoyed this book as much as my 4 year old daughter. It's comparable to children with sensory disorder, anxiety, or even a kitty. Having 1 child on the spectrum, this book made it easy for me to explain better. It's hard for any little child to understand another childs needs. While reading I would stop and remind my daughter that her brother is very simular. Also I used this book to help her understand our cats. It has became a good resource for our family. I love Clover kitty, how she
Ellon
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
I had high expectations for this book. I love cats and I love that the title says kittygarden. Overall, it could be a nice story for trying again and how or can be hard to make friends but I also had a lot of issues with it. 1) it is kind of long for the intended audience. 2) as another reviewer mentioned, if a kid didn’t already have fears or anxiety about starting school, I could see this book giving them fear or anxiety. Clover is basically pushed around all day and her teacher is made out to ...more
Abby Johnson
It's time for Kittygarten to start and Clover Kitty, who is very sensitive to sensory input, is not ready! But go to kindergarten she must and her first day is terrible with all kinds of overwhelming stimuli. This cute book (purrrfect for young cat lovers) shows the world through the eyes of a child overwhelmed with stimuli - the sunlight glares through the windows, the teacher's perfume is stinky, the nap mats are too scratchy for sleeping. And by the end of the week Clover Kitty has come up wi ...more
Sally
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love children's books with cats in them and this one did not disappoint.
Kindergarten is scary for many kids and all kids react in their own way when it comes to going to school for the first time. Being away from home and what you are used to is hard for a lot of little ones. This is a great book for kids with sensory issues and understanding that they may need different things to help them get through the school day and that is completely okay. It also shows that kids are resilient and kind.
Tayler K
Clover isn't really looking forward to kittygarten, and her first day proves to be a sensory overload at every turn! She stays home 'sick' the next three days, but finally decides to return to kittygarten to play with the other kitties. But this time, she's prepared! She has sunglasses, ear defenders, and her own soft blanket for nap time!

This book never specifically mentions autism, but this would likely be a very relatable book for any autistic kiddos (or others with sensory difficulties) tryi
Ty
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent story to read to a child before kindergarten

This book tells the tale of Clover the kitten who is an introvert and nervous about starting school and needed a bit of help to make it through and understanding friends and mommy. I'd almost say this is more for domineering parents to give them a bit of a "paws" heh and have a good think about how tough it can be to transition to school particularly Kindergarten.
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

This is a wonderful and beautiful book! I got it because my grandson will be in kindergarten next year and thought it would be good to read together. I cried after reading it because I wish I would have had this book when my youngest son with autism was heading to school. This book does an amazing job and showing that we are all different and all have tools to help us get through the day.
Lynn Reynolds
Heartwarming Tale

This is a sweet, beautifully illustrated story about a little kitty with sensory issues who is starting kindergarten. It does a great job of showing us kindergarten through her eyes - loud, bright, and scary!

But it also ends on an encouraging note: when Clover adopts some strategies (dark glasses, ear muffs and a special blanket) for coping with all those challenges, the other kitties welcomed her back and are completely accepting of her different ways.
Joe Zralka
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had this book when I was a kid! I will give this book to my very shy niece. I notice that my niece became very shy as she was growing up. Kids nowadays are glued to the tv, gadgets making those things as their nannies. This book is perfect for kids who will soon go to kindergarten to help them cope up with new friends and yes "kindergarten stress. The book was exquisitely made with beautiful illustrations with children's manga influences and catcabulary. I love it!
Debra
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Clover Kitty, who is especially sensitive, is going to kittygarten and she is overwhelmed on the first day. This is a gentle story for young children about to go to kindergarten, which they can find to be full of stimulus overload. Clover Kitty figures out what to do to make kittygarden successful for her and she learns to adjust in no time. She also has the help of a friend who can be sensitive to her needs.

Tess
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really like how this book can help an adult understand all the sensory things that might be overwhelming for young children. I like how Clover figures out ways to arm herself against the noise and lights and uncomfortable situations. There is very little adult help in the book and I'm not sure if this is a good thing, showing that kids can solve problems themselves, or bad, making them seem uncaring and oblivious.
I like that Clover finds a quiet friend.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bear and Fred: A World War II Story
  • How to Catch a Unicorn
  • I Can Do Hard Things: Mindful Affirmations for Kids
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • You Go First (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter Inspired Kids)
  • Splat the Cat: I Scream for Ice Cream (I Can Read Level 1)
  • The Little Kitten
  • Mama Loves You Always
  • While We Can't Hug
  • A Tiger Like Me

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Laura Purdie Salas is the author of more than 130 books for kids and teens, including WATER CAN BE... (Millbrook, 2014), A LEAF CAN BE... (Millbrook, 2012), and BOOKSPEAK! POEMS ABOUT BOOKS (Clarion, 2011). She loves to introduce kids to poetry and help them find poems they can relate to, no matter what their age, mood, and personality.

Laura is a thinker, a cupcake and brownie addict, and an adve