Start by marking “The Prized Girl” as Want to Read:

The Prized Girl

From debut author Amy K. Green comes a devastating tale of psychological suspense: a teen pageant queen is found murdered in a small New England town, and her sisters search for answers unearths more than she bargained for.

Days after a young teenager named Jenny is found murdered, her small town grieves the loss alongside her picture-perfect parents. At first glance, Jenny
Published February 20th 2020 by HQ (first published January 14th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Prized Girl, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Prized Girl
Chelsea Humphrey
This was a cleverly crafted novel, but one that I found myself having trouble connecting with the characters throughout. It could be that they felt too cookie cutter in dialogue and action, or it could be the fact that I felt I've already read a story similar to this one many times before. I do think readers who are looking to branch into the mystery/thriller genre may find this title more enjoyable than I did, and highly encourage those folks to check this one out for themselves.

*Many thanks to
Debra
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
A teenage pageant queen is found murdered in her small New England town. She comes from the picture-perfect family who gets together for Sunday dinners and are upstanding members of the community. When she if found dead, the main suspect is a man who has been coming to all her pageants, her "biggest" fan if you will. Most believe he could be the killer. Most, but not her older sarcastic, heavy drinking sister who has past issues of her own. She believes the main suspect is innocent and has her ...more
Berit☀️✨
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-physical, 2020
A tense twisted dark thriller. Amy K. Greens debut was clever and addictive. Sisters, a murder, a small town, a pageant queen, teenage drama, a sick stalker, Bad behavior, dark secrets, missed opportunities, lost memories, obsession, coverups, lies. The story bounces back-and-forth between the perspectives of sisters Virginia and Jenny. We learn about the events leading up to the murder through the eyes of 14-year-old Jenny. We learn about the aftermath of the murder through the actions of older ...more
Dennis
Folks, I read a lot of psychological thrillers, so when a good book follows a similar narrative that I'm already used to reading, it usually doesn't pan out well. The Prized Girl is written so perfectly, and the author obviously is very talented in storytelling. Let me just get that out in the open, because I really did enjoy the story overall. We have two point-of-views (Virginia's was my favorite) and they eventually uncover the mystery as we teeter between the two.

My main concern was that
Amy
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-arcs
2.5/5

The first month of the year and Im already struggling with thrillers AGAIN. Sigh. I had high hopes for this one, the premise and structure sounded interesting enough and Im always excited about a debut. Unfortunately for me this one just didnt work at all, maybe Ive just read too many similar books, but in the end, this was just a mess for me.

Im just going to highlight what was problematic for me quickly because I think for the right reader this may work great, that reader just wasnt me. If
Mackey
Told from two distinct points of view, The Prized Girl is a slow burning mystery revolving around a murdered former beauty queen, Jenny, and her older sisters quest for finding the truth. When Jenny is murdered, the police quickly arrest a developmentally challenged man who was obsessed with Jenny. Virginia, the sister, thinks there is more to the murder and begins seeking answers. The story is told in such a way that Jenny is reliving the events leading up to her death while Virginia is dealing ...more
Louise Wilson
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Virginia and Jenny are sisters. There is a thirteen year age gap between them and they don't seem to have anything in common. Then Jenny is raped and murdered when she is fourteen. Virginia attempts to find out what had happened to Jenny. The police have got a suspect, but Virginia isn't quite so sure that they have the right man. She quickly learns how troubled Jenny was and that she harboured a lot of secrets.

The story is told through multiple points of view. The family is dysfunctional and
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
2.5 stars.

Thirteen-year-old Jenny is a former beauty pageant queen found murdered in her small New England town.  The press is eager to report the details on the rape and murder of a beautiful girl who appeared to be living a picture perfect life.  The police are confident they have solved the case before it even begins, focusing completely on an intellectually disabled man known to attend all of Jenny's pageants.

Jenny's older sister Virginia isn't so certain the police have it right and
Mandy White
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2020
I feel so let down by this book 😢 I had high hopes and they were dashed.

To start with I was really enjoying it. But really that ending was awful. And is it just me but Jenny was 13 years old! 13! I had a hard time believing that a 13 year old girl would do many of the things that Jenny did.

Not for me I am afraid
Sarah Swann
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this. This was dark, twisty and took some routes I wasnt expecting. I had to knock off a star because of how it ended, I really didnt like how it all played out. I understand why it did, but I wanted something different. It really did surprise me and I didnt want to put it down. ...more
Katie (never.ending.reading.list)
The Prized Girl is a murder mystery/thriller centered around the murder of a young, beautiful, former pageant star - Jenny. The story is told back in time through her perspective and in the current day through Jennys somewhat estranged older sister, Virginia, who is trying to solve the case.

As the story unfolds, its clear that Jenny wasnt as innocent as the media paints her to be and Virginia seems to have a sordid past of her own.

The different perspectives unwind beautifully and this story is
Wendy Walker
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this one! I did not figure out the ending, it moved fast and was written in a way that made me pay close attention. The perfect combo for a thriller! Here is what I "officially" said about it!

Gripping prose, complex characters and dark family secrets propel this story about a murdered teen pageant queen to a perfectly unexpected finale. A stunning debut!
Louise Wilson
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Virginia and Jenny are sisters. There is a thirteen year age gap between them and they have nothing in common. Then Jenny is raped and murdered when she is fourteen. Virginia attempts to find out what had happened to Jenny. The police have a suspect but Virginia isn't quite so sure that they have the right man. She quickly learns how troubled Jenny was and that she harboured a lot of secrets.

The story is told from multiple points of view. The family is dysfunctional and they all seem to be
Jillian Doherty
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast paced and absorbing suspense!

I loved the consistent back-and-forth of sister perspective storytelling, and how their time-lines built to an unexpected, and well thought out climax.

I couldn't have imagined thinking as Jenny did, when I was in eighth grade, but child pageants and a modern world can be a daunting reality indeed.

This unassuming and poignant thriller has immense potential to take readers by storm!

Galley borrowed from the publisher.
MicheleReader
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An impressive debut novel a good solid mystery thriller. Who killed Jenny the former teenage pageant queen? Through dual story lines we learn of Jennys life leading up to her murder and in present day, we hear Virginias story. Virginia is Jennys troubled half-sister who is detached from the family, attending the funeral barely noticed, and then takes an interest in learning the truth about the murder after the police appear to be rushing to judgment on their main suspect. The story held my ...more
Melissa

This book started off very strong, I was 50% into it before I even looked at the percentage. I liked the way things were set up, we are introduced to Virginia in the present and then we flash back to Jenny, Virginia's murdered stepsister's point of view. Although I thought that Virginia and Jenny were decently fleshed out characters, their father and Jenny's mother seemed like total caricatures and I never understood their motivations or their actions at all.
I eventually came to understand why
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Edelweiss and the publisher for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review. As soon as I read the premise of this book I wanted to read it, it reminded me a little of Jon Benet and the whole pageant scene with the small town feel thrown in. The story is told from Jenny, the pageant teen who dies perspective, and her older sister, Virginia, who is trying to find out who killed her. The stories weave and intertwine seamlessly making for one interesting story.
Sandy
Amy K. Green
Thank you Netgalley for a copy of this ARC ebook.
This story is told in a back and forth story line between Virginia now; and Jenny before her untimely demise.
Jenny was a beautiful 14 year old girl. Her mother started her in beauty pageants at a young age and she was always top of the pack. Through her pageant career she came across Benjy, whom I believe was a bit touched. He was her biggest fan, until one day she gave him a note saying she was done with the
Liz Barnsley
The Prized Girl is a tense tale of small town murder, it was a huge page turner to be sure but if I'm honest it didn't quite do it for me.

On the plus side the writing was excellent, the story fairly rocked along and there were emotional thought provoking layers to it that were compelling. A young girl, a pageant queen, killed before her life really began, a sister who was absent, parents who were hiding secrets, this was a truly twisted tale.

My problem was I didn't really engage with the
Mom_Loves_Reading
Ok, I'm just going to say it...I hate pageants. Long before the unfortunate JonBenet Ramsey murder happened back in 1996, I hated pageants. It is so not my thing. That being said, I was still thoroughly invested in watching all the news about the murder and watch all the documentaries out of pure fascination. To this day, my opinion is that it was the parent of one of JonBenet's rival pageant contestants who got sick of her getting all the glory. Moving on...
"The Prized Girl" was utterly
Reads a Latte Thrillers
It's hard to believe The Prized Girl is a debut novel. As a devoted thriller reader, I'm wondering where has Amy K. Green has been all my life (you are amazing), and, what other captivating stories does she have up her sleeve? Whatever it is, I definitely want to read more from this author. This story is all consuming. At first it feels like simple teenage angst with a dose of sibling rivalry rolled into a domestic family drama. It turns out, things are much more deep, complicated, dark, and ...more
Erica
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the back and forth narrative between the two sisters in this book. You're able to get to know and connect to each character.
This book definitely had enough to keep you intrigued and guessing along the way. It had me hooked from the very beginning.
I felt a lot of emotion with this one and am looking forward to reading Amy Green's future books.
Selena
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you are the outcast of the family and your sister, that was everyone's favorite, turns up dead, it shouldn't be that hard. Except she was still your sister and you want answers. You won't get the answers until the the very end of this non-stop ride that keeps you guessing at every turn. Fans of Gillian Flynn can pick this up while waiting on her next book.
Laura • lauralovestoread
I was looking for a twisty dark thriller, and got just what I was looking for in The Prized Girl!

I loved Amy K Greens debut, and felt like both timelines for each sister were equally intriguing. The story alternates through older sister Virginias current perspective, and bounces back to younger sister and beauty queen Jenny, before she was brutally murdered.

So many dark secrets, and twists. I think I guessed 10 different ways this story would play out, which was one of my favorite parts of the
Michael David
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unputdownable, uncomfortable novel about the rape and murder of a 13-year old beauty pageant queen. I read the review in PEOPLE WEEKLY, who stated it was darkly funny, and was incredibly intrigued that anyone would say that about this topic. They're right, thanks to the character of half-sister Virginia and her own issues, but this a dark mystery with a dark ending. Kids/teens should not be put on pedestals.

Great debut by the author.
Angie
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books-read
When a girl teen girl is murdered in a small town, her sister starts to investigate and solve the crime.

The author uses dual narrative, alternating between the weeks leading up to the murder, told by Jenny, the victim, to current day narrative by her sister Virginia,

This book has twists and turns up until the end of the story that I didn't see coming. I lost the connection with the story several times, not sure if it was because of the switch between past and present or just the content of the
Elaine's Reviews
Jenny Kennedy, 13 year old beauty pageant queen is dead, murdered. Her half sister Virginia, a 20 something year old non contributing, non functioning member of society with a drink problem is not happy with the police investigation and is motivated to do her own digging. Virginia bites off more than she can chew as one secret leads to another that leads to another. Everyone is a suspect in a town thriving on gossip and full of secrets.

The clever and complex story is told in a now and then
Toya
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ex-beauty queen, 13 year old Jenny is found murdered. The local town is floored and fans pour in to pay their homage. The suspect has finally been captured, and everyone can sleep a little easier.

26 year old Virginia is Jennys half sister. Her dad and stepmom treat her like shes the worlds biggest delinquent, disappointment, and crappy sister. Unlike everyone else, Virginia isnt convinced that the suspect is the one who killed her sister. Shes determined to find the true killer even if she has
Intellectual Magpie
5/5 star read for this psychological coming of age novel....🌟 Thank you to Dutton books for sending me an ARC of THE PRIZED GIRL in exchange for an honest review. Releasing JANUARY 2020.
*TRIGGER WARNING* this book does have context of sexual/mental/physical abuse*
Set in a small town we hear from two sisters at two very different points in their lives.... Jenny... the younger 13yr old perfect pageant queen as she starts to unravel what life truly looks like and what becoming a teenager throws
Nicole reading_with_nicole
Jenny has been a pageant queen since she was little; now 13 she is still on top of the pageant circut. Jenny was tired of doing pageants and her mother was not taking it well.
Then there is Virginia, she is Jennys half sister. Virginia is nothing like Jenny, she is not perfect and she is not into pageants; she is the complete opposite of her sister.
One day the news comes that Jenny has been murdered and raped, this takes a serious affect on Virginia; she is determined to find out who killed her
Madison County NC...: What happened to Jenny? 1 3 Feb 28, 2020 05:59AM

• The Better Liar
  • The Playground
  • No Bad Deed
  • Mr. Nobody
  • The Look-Alike
  • The Other Mrs.
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Dead to Her
  • The Worst Best Man
  • Long Bright River
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • How Quickly She Disappears
  • Behind Every Lie
  • Good Girls Lie
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Saint X
  • Darling Rose Gold
I'm a Boston and LA based author and my debut suspense thriller The Prized Girl is available for pre-order now (Dutton, 1/14/2020).

I also work as a Production Accountant, most recently on the 2019 film Little Women. Working in accounting on movies is a little like cleaning the costumes at Disney World; it's not glamorous, but you get access to more behind the scenes details than you'd ever want.

News & Interviews