Start by marking “Cat's Meow” as Want to Read:
Cat's Meow

Cat's Meow

2.91  ·  Rating details ·  136 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

Cat McAllister grew up as a Hollywood child star, spent her adolescence modeling in Japan, and now, as she celebrates her twenty-fifth birthday for the fourth time, she lives for velvet ropes, Moët & Chandon, gold-leaf invitations, and other fashionista prizes. But on her way up the social ladder, making her way past the who's who and the what's what, Cat finds herself
Published August 10th 2001 by Touchstone (first published July 31st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Cat's Meow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat's Meow

Tracey
Sep 14, 2008 added it
Not worth ANY stars. This was horrible. It seemed like a cheap knock off of Bergdof Blondes, Melissa should stick to young adult books. I gave up after 20 pages.
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Stacey
Apr 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Ugh. Another 'trainwreck' book. I call them this because once I start reading, I fully accept that the book is badly written and not worth my time, but I'm already invested, so I finish it anyway. I understand that the point of the story is to show the rich and sorta-famous side of NYC, but I'd rather watch Sex and the City, thanks. This is so being donated to the Salvation Army or something. I don't want it in my house, and I'd feel bad about myself if I donated it to my library. Yeah, it's th ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Reading this book, I was getting madder
and madder, getting angrier and angrier
at this 20-something generation until
I finally realized---Duh! This author
is not serious! It took me until I
got to the part where our main character
went to a doctor to try to get her legs
amputated as amputee fashion was very hip.

June Junebug
Apr 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-no-why-no
I read the first page and couldn't get through with it. I skipped to the last chapter and the character seems like she didn't learn squat about materialism and superficiality. It's also very heteronormative and plays into one of the many kinds of gender roles (woman seeking a man to fulfill void or whatever). If this is supposed to be some kind of fashion satire, it was executed poorly. I don't recommend this book to anyone capable of independent thought.
Kara
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: modern-chick-lit
Basically a novella. If you've read any of Plum Sykes, you've read this book (I know, different author, but so similar it hurts). It also came out in 2001, so it's very, VERY dated already. Pop culture doesn't age well.
Crystal
Feb 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: chick lit enthusiasts
This was a light-hearted, crazy and downright zany read. It was a nice distraction from the doldrums of normal, everyday life. It did, however, make me realize and be very happy about the fact that I'm nowhere near as shallow as the main character.
Sep 02, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I normally try and finish all books I read, but I couldn't even get half way with this one. I was bored to death.
Aug 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Laughed at the absurdity--but that's often the norm for the famous nowadays. It's a ditzy, scattered type of narrative, but that's the point. Don't take it too seriously & you'll have a laugh.
Beautiful_Jade
Not particularly funny or witty, just a bit of a mess.
VeraQ
Apr 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Ugh! Couldn't even finish
Karen
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
It was cute, just a fast read. Very girlie. De la Cruz has come a long way in character development. Maybe this was a rough sketch that became Mimi?

Shiva khanom Nafezi
Sep 21, 2008 rated it liked it
What a funny book! This book definitely identifies all the silliness of high society, fashionables of New York and their way of life! Easy read on a vacation.
Mar 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
Couldn't finish-- dated and awful!
Melvie
Dec 06, 2008 rated it did not like it
Ugh. Don't read this book if you value your time.
Briannaw4
  • Troublemaker and Other Saints
  • Ryan White: My Own Story
  • The Tapestries
21911
Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like
More about Melissa de la Cruz...