Start by marking “The Storyteller's Daughter (Storyteller's Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Storyteller's Daughter (Storyteller's Series, #1)

The Storyteller's Daughter

(Storyteller's Series #1)

His shadowed face lit by flames,
Rumpelstiltskin is my name...

For as long as anyone can remember, every child in Westfallen has been born with a Gift, and these Gifts defined them.

Then Cosette is born, Giftless.

An attempt to hide her misfortune brings her before the King, who entraps her to use her Gift as a pawn in his war.

Caught in a lie, Cosette desperately sear
Published July 14th 2020 by Parliament House Press

To ask other readers questions about The Storyteller's Daughter, please sign up.
The Grimm Reader Because the title says "The Storyteller's Daughter #1" I would assume that it is not (pity). How many books there is going to be however, I do not kno…moreBecause the title says "The Storyteller's Daughter #1" I would assume that it is not (pity). How many books there is going to be however, I do not know. Sorry can't be more helpful. (less)
J. Yes, but it is a "slow burn"…moreYes, but it is a "slow burn"(less)

Start your review of The Storyteller's Daughter (Storyteller's Series, #1)
C.G. Drews
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fairytale retellings are one of my absolute favourite things, so I was super keen to finally have a Rumpelstiltskin retelling. THIS is what we need okay. (We love you, Cinderella/Beauty & The Beast but we've seen you enough 😂.) It also does some variations on the original tale too, so you see the inspiration but we get plot twists to keep us guessing. I just really enjoyed myself here!!

the story
It's set in a traditional fairytale type kingdom where everyone is born with a Gift ...except Cosette.
Victoria McCombs
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm the author, so I'm biased! This book was so fun to write, I've always loved fairytale retellings such as Jessica Day George's Princess of the Midnight Ball series, and A Curse so Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer. I wanted to rewrite a tale not done as often, and I found myself drawn to Rumpelstiltskin's story and how I could change the villain's role to something unexpected.
Alright, I won't spoil anything! I hope you enjoy.
For the parents, while categorized as YA, this book is clean and a
Vee
May 03, 2020 marked it as want-to-read-new
This cover could punch me and I would say thank you
Nursebookie
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
‪ ⁣
‪I loved this book and read this in one sitting! I love a great retelling and when I found out it was about Rumpelstiltskin I was so excited to read about this. The story is centered on Cosette from the land of Westfalen where everyone is born with a special gift, except for her. Her father, gifted with storytelling weaves a tale about a woman who can spin straw into gold. The story spreads quickly until it reaches the King. Cosette is taken as a prisoner to spin gold or she will be executed.
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-read
Every child in Westfalen is born with a gift, small or big, practical or not. Except for Cosette who is the only girl with no gift. She works in her family tavern, helps her family, reads books or listens to her father's amazingly-woven tales, which is his gift. A seamstress has taken her as an apprentice, Aiden her childhood best friend is courting her.

Until one day when King locked her in castle and demand to spin straw in gold or she will be killed. When years old spirit decided to help her.

I
Melissa (thereaderandthechef)
**Huge thanks to the author & MTMC Tours for the review copy. All thoughts are my own.** Check our tour stop + an intl giveaway over on @thereaderandthechef!

My review:

I’ve been a fan of Rumpelstiltskin’s tale ever since I was a little girl, and I’ve always looked forward to reading retellings. And although my reading list is tragically short, I can safely say The Storyteller’s Daughter will be one I will be forever recommending.

This story about magical gifts that define your value within society
J.
Idk if it was adult or YA. That is why I put it in both.
actual rating 2.5...

Plot: A loose retelling of Rumpelstiltskin. Cosette is born Giftless in a land where people are born with magic in their veins and have Gifts. When her gifted storyteller father weaves a tale of her being able to spin straw into gold, the kingsmen whisk her away to the castle. The king orders to spin the gold, or end her life. Scared for her life, and locked away Cosette begs to anyone to help her. There in a room full
Anna
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4/5 ⭐️

Y’all!! I’ve been wanting to read a Rumpelstiltskin retelling for so long, and The Storyteller’s Daughter did not disappoint! It follows Cosette, a girl with no extraordinary talents in a world where everyone has a special Gift. Cosette’s world is shifted off balance when the king learns of her father (a master storyteller) telling of her spinning straw into gold. Cosette is forced from her safe life in the village and thrust into the middle of a political struggle, where she must
Paula M
Another 2020 release I love!!

Review to be posted.
BoMo
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars, 2021
⭐️⭐️ 2 stars

“He pulled back and his eyes shone like stars as he looked over me. I held his gaze as a sigh escaped my chest. This moment felt fragile, and I wanted to hold onto it for as long as I could.”

I really really wanted to love this one!
I mean, just look at this beautiful cover!

And while reading the blurb it sounded so good:
A fairytale retelling of Rumpelstiltskin, one of my most beloved fairytales. I hoped for an interesting, creative magic system , backstabbing court politics and of
belle ☆ミ (thisbellereadstoo)
In exchange for an honest review, I was provided an ARC. Thank you!

i don’t think i’ve read any rumpelstilkin retellings before, so the storyteller’s daughter was a refreshing read. victoria mccombs’ writing is simple yet descriptive of the characters and settings. as a debut novel, the author has the fundamentals down. the whole concept and its execution was interesting.

although i couldn’t relate much with cosette, i liked her bravery. deciding to fake her ability to spin gold from straws takes
Hallie Christensen
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an eARC of this book for an honest review. So, here it is 😁

If you were a fan of Ella Enchanted, then you'll love this book.

"Every child born showed signs of a special talent that set them apart from each other. Everyone had a piece of magic in their souls.
Everyone except me."

Cosette is born in a magical world without magic. Day after day, she works in her family's tavern, wondering if this is the life she will forever have, wanting a change.

Obviously, that change occurs since she is
Danielle
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5⁣

Everyone in Westfallen has a Gift. Everyone, that is, except Cosette. ⁣

Seemingly sentenced to a life of insignificance, Cosette resigns herself to waiting tables at her family's tavern. ⁣

Then, one day, her storytelling papa weaves a tale so fantastic, it reaches the ear of the king.⁣

Cosette is hauled off to the castle and locked in a room full of straw. At the king's command, she must spin the straw into gold or forfeit her life. ⁣

In her despair, Cosette cries out for help, complete
Linda Boelter
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Storyteller’s Daughter is a unique retelling
Of Rumpelstiltskin,with twists and turns that will surprise you. A little lie, a wrong choice, a little magic
You won’t want to stop reading.
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
The author/publisher provided a free copy of the book for review purposes - thank you! Receiving a review copy does not guarantee a positive review and therefore do not affect the opinion or content of the review. The first book in The Westfallen Chronicles is a Rumpelstiltskin retelling set in a world where almost everyone has magical talents (skilled in the violin, ability to tell what the upcoming weather is) that are called Gifts. Not gonna lie, but the Gifts are super cool and I definite ...more
Sofia
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Check out the review on my blog: https://sophsbookworld.wordpress.com/...

This was one of my most anticipated reads this summer, however, it turned out to be the biggest disappointment.

I am a sucker for good fairytale retellings, especially when it comes to stories that are not as common. I’m bored of Cinderella retellings already but Rumpelstiltskin is something new to me. I’ve recently read Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik, which is also the retelling of the same story and I loved that one. It wa
Riya Queen
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Such an enchanting Rumpelstiltskin retelling! I wanted to read read this as soon as it came out, and the synopsis grabbed my attention the first time I saw it.

The storyteller's daughter delivered the content I was hoping for, and I immensely enjoyed it. In the kingdom of Westfall, children are born with what they call as "gifts" such as music, making clothes out of fabric and such. Cosette, our protagonist, is born giftless and she hates to be the only one born that way.

She's quite capable othe
Bri
Aug 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
I’m really sad I didn’t like this because I was really looking forward to it. I love Rumplestiltskin retellings, especially when they make him the good guy for a twist. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get over how incredibly stupid and naive Cosette was. She barely made any decisions or thought for herself, even when everyone was throwing the facts in her face. Especially when she was trying to figure out if Conrad was a bad guy. If you love someone wouldn’t you trust their word? And yet no matter how ...more
Hannah Crull-sher
Jun 13, 2021 rated it liked it
An interesting take on Rumpelstiltskin. I enjoyed the main character and her family but the second half of the book was focused a lot more on the romance than the adventure, which isn’t my cup of tea.
Last Book Marauder
Jan 21, 2020 marked it as to-read
Rumpelstiltskin retelling?!?!?! Here for it
Danielle Harrington
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book! 😍 Right from the start, McCombs took me on a fairytale I wasn't expecting. I've never read a Rumplestiltskin retelling before, but it was a masterpiece. Well-written and inspiring, every chapter I read made me want to keep writing (author problems 😂). I loved the Beauty and the Beast vibes too. And the romance! Wow, just wow! It was so wholesome my heart was squealing<3 If you're looking for a YA Fantasy to fall in love with, do yourself a favor and get this book. ...more
Anne Evans
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
If I didn't think of this story as a retelling of Rumplestiltskin, I liked it more. I kept waiting for the rest of the fairytale to take place, for the helpful ghost to become a villain - or anyone to become a villain. The setting and the premise were engaging and intriguing, but failed to keep the same intensity. I'm afraid I didn't buy the romance on any front and didn't understand the protagonist's reasoning near the end (but I don't want to give away spoilers). ...more
Ashton Reed
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of fairytale romance and captivating stories!
4.5/5 stars

This is such a captivating fairytale, I am IN LOVE!

My Moodboard

Goodreads summary:

Then Cosette is born, Giftless.

Caught in a lie, Cosette desperately searches for a power strong enough to free her. Intrigued by whispers of an old king and a dark curse, she
Kariane (bookish.introverts)
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
My heart melted while I was reading this! In this book, everybody has a gift that they are born with. Everybody but Cosette. She’s just the storyteller’s daughter, or the tavern girl. That is, until her father, a gifted storyteller, tells a story about his daughter being able to spin straw into gold. She is then taken by the king’s men to the castle so that she can make gold to fund the war that has been going on for a long time. Of course, she is unable to do this, so who comes to her rescue? Y ...more
Lauren Kelsen
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“..I had complied as Fate handed me twists and turns…I wouldn’t wait for Rumpel’s curse to end before I figured out how to take care of myself. I was going to fix my problems on my own.”

This was definitely a book that I could not put down. As we are introduced to all the characters I found myself wanting to know more about each of them and had to keep reading to see what I’d find out. I have always been a fan of the story of Rumpelstiltskin, and I felt that this was a well done retelling. I like
mairixx
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
"It's all those books you read that paint an unreasonable expectation for love."
I honestly love the cover of this bo0k, and then when I found out it was a Rumpelstiltskin retelling, I added it to my TBR immediately. It was an enjoyable and easy read.

The book is set in the kingdom of Westfallen, where everyone has a gift. Cosette's father is a storyteller, her boyfriend is a singer and her own gift is...nothing. She is the first child to be born in the kingdom completely giftless. One night,
Annemarie
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
For someone who doesn't like the story of Rumplestiltskin I read a lot of retellings. Okay, actually this is the second one (Twisted: The Girl Who Uncovered Rumplestilskin's Name being the first) and I actually liked them both. When I picked up this book, I based my choice on the cover and the title, that was all. I had no idea it was going to be a fairy tale retelling.
This was a very interesting spin on the original fairy tale, and although it was very, very predictable, I enjoyed reading it e
Fifi | A Fairytale Dream
Gosh, I loved this book so so much. Something about fairytales make me happy in a way that other books can’t. They feel like home, and this book was just the kind of fairytale that I like to read. I usually speed through my books so I can move onto what’s next, but I didn’t want this book to end.
Isha
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
ngl it’s my fave read so far this year! a different take on rumpelstiltskin while still retaining the fairytale vibes~

the book was simple and genuine, the characters are unique, the slowburn I LOVE IT, everything was good ♡ i recommend a lot!
Evelyn

• Arms of the Ocean
  • Queen of Coin and Whispers
  • Sing Me Forgotten
  • Wire Wings
  • Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)
  • Disenchanted (Disenchanted, #1)
  • The Hollow Gods (The Chaos Cycle Duology, #1)
  • Last Tang Standing
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • The Promised Prince
  • Sisters of Sword and Song
  • Rainy Days for the Harpers Girls (Harpers Emporium #3)
  • The Lady Alchemist
  • Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)
  • A Trial of Sorcerers (A Trial of Sorcerers, #1)
  • The Kinder Poison (The Kinder Poison, #1)
Some of the things I love most in this world are peppermint hot chocolate, golfing dates, Jesus, and game nights with family. And of course, books.

Fairytales were my first love. I became obsessed with the idea that if one was brave enough, they could defeat dragons, and that true love was real. I met my true love in college, and together we raise our two boys. I have my dad to thank for teaching me

Storyteller's Series (3 books)
  • Woods of Silver and Light (Storyteller's Series, #2)
  • The Winter Charlatan (Storyteller's Series, #3)