Start by marking “Cuentos de amor, de locura y de muerte” as Want to Read:
Cuentos de amor, de locura y de muerte

Cuentos de amor, de locura y de muerte

Constituye la obra cumbre del autor, en las breves y apasionantes historias que componen el libro, la intriga, el drama y el misterio se desbordan y nos invaden. Quiroga es aquí consagrado como uno de los mejores cuentistas de todos los tiempos.
Published October 13th 2006 by Echo Library (first published 1917)

To ask other readers questions about Cuentos de amor, de locura y de muerte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cuentos de amor, de locura y de muerte

Start your review of Cuentos de amor, de locura y de muerte
Amalia Gkavea
''I don't know whether the howling of an epileptic gives others the impression of a beastly, otherworldly scream. But I am certain that the howling of a mad dog, running nightly circles around our house, would make everyone feel the same foreboding nervousness. It is a sharp, loud, agonizing howl, as if the animal is dying right there and then, a scream of macabre feelings, the feelings of a mad life.''

Horacio Quiroga is considered the Edgar Allan Poe of South American Literature. A tortured
Catherine
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Catherine by: Amalia Gkavea
I got the french translation as I unfortunately don't speak Spanish. It's an amazing book, not for the faint of heart, and I love it. I'll try to translate some parts from French to English to write my review with at least a quote and the titles of the stories, so RTC. ...more
Leland
Nov 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
One of the first books I read in Spanish and thoroughly enjoyed. A series of dark, sometimes morbid short stories that are simple, but vividly written, taking place mostly in the jungle in the early 20th century. Knowing the story of the author makes the book only more interesting: Quiroga was an Argentinian/Uruguayan whose father was killed in an accidental shooting. His stepfather committed suicide, he accidentally shot and killed his best friend, his first wife committed suicide, he committed ...more
Alik
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In many respects it is an uneven set of stories which makes it difficult to opinionate about the collection as a whole. This fact is reflected in its publishing history: there is, as far as I could see, no set sequence, several stories are set aside as "suprimidos" etc. The stories are different in length, tone, atmosphere, quality and even topics although of course most fall into the titular categories: love, madness and death (I don't care about the comma thing).

That said, the stories are alwa
Harry Whitewolf
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic-fic, poetry
Quiroga's work needs to be translated into English more- he deserves global attention. If you like Poe, you'll love this book! ...more
Trinidad Rocio
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
God has this shaped me. Incredibly disturbing yet fascinating. Papa bought it for me in the little shops in subte station. Devoured it in a couple of hours. Also had to read it for school years later, still found it amazing. Points for La Gallina degollada and El almohadón de plumas. We love Quiroga, I also for some reason was fascinated with his biography? I remember he married a young student and escaped with her to the jungle. Also there's an episode of Historia Clínica, he spent his last day ...more
Daniel Brubeck
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Rating this book was a tough decision as happens with short stories, reading this was like being on a roller coaster, the stories sometimes where good and sometimes were bad stories. I liked very much the fact that the stories were very realistic, most of them does seem to be an every day and that is how he writes the horror.

In some stories I didn't liked that at least from my opinion, that he fails to give the readers the wave of emotions the characters were feeling in the climax of the storie
Sonia Perez
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge-2019
4.0 Stars

This is in Spanish and it is a collection of stories, most include a dark topic, have some sort of death or unfortunate circumstance to the characters.
I love the realism and the characters. This is the second I read from Quiroga, the first time I had to read something for High School, I cannot remember what it was. After reading this compilation I am sure it was none of the ones included here but I confirmed my belief, I really like his writing style.
I need to find other of his stori
Dec 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great writing, but I couldn't give the book 5 stars because I found it so depressing and gloomy. The themes are in the title, but I guess I had hoped for at least one slightly hopeful or redeeming moment. I did not find them in this book. However, I have to acknowledge that Quiroga is definitely a master of the short story. For that I give it 4 stars, but I doubt I would re-read this except maybe a story or two on Halloween. I would say you definitely need a high intermediate or advanced level t ...more
Marina Oppenheimer
Stories from Argentina

Horacio Quiroga is a master story teller whose characters are minutely described and whose plots have a very appealing suspense. The stories take place in the Argentine country side where people live in close contact with nature. But nature in these stories is not a passive landscape. On the contrary, it can be sometimes diabolic. Recommended reading.
Justine
I was always surprised by the ending of Quiroga's tales! The reader is completely blown away by these stories!! They are really short, but very striking!
I was not really in the book while I read it, that's why it is not a 5-star read, but it definitely could have been if I read it at the proper time!
Emilia Barriga
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a big fan of short stories, it is not a surprise that I loved this book. Language is incredibly beautiful, and the stories are intriguing. At first, they seem to be telling mundane things, but they always have a cold and unexpected turn at the end. I don't know why Quiroga isn't as famous as Borges. He definitely should be! ...more
Elliott
Dec 24, 2020 added it
Shelves: español, dnf
Stopped at about 30%, after the story about "plucking a hen." The story before it about cocaine was also pretty weird. I had read as much as I needed to.

The "Uruguayan Edgar Allen Poe" descriptor is pretty apt. And honestly, this book is about what is says on the cover. But it gets pretty dark at times.
Raul M Colon
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of love, madness and death stories.

Horacio Quiroga creates incredible stories of death and love with a twist of madness. A literary gift for the reader who likes intrigue and horror.
Dora F. Pedraza
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding!!

Horacio Quiroga stories are among the best stories I’ve read not only by South American authors but authors from all the world. I’ve read them in my youth and reading them again as an older person, I find them as wonderful as earlier in my young years.
Lara
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mateus Fratoni Souza
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Portuguese Version
Mathieu Malher
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this for the second time, and I love the stories a lot. Quiroga conveys the complexity of passion, love and their dangers with a beautiful poetic and minimalist prose.
Pilar Sanchez
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Regular
Lux
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My top 3 tales of the book:  Artificial Hell - The Decapitated Chicken - Meningitis and its Shadow.
1da
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quiroga mixes in postmodern surrealism, magical realism, symbolism and modernism with elements of the supernatural. Most of these stories happen in a jungle setting. Man vs. nature in a battle that he cannot win...his fate is sealed, but he can't avoid trying to get around it.

Each story morbidly tinges with despair...some of the stories are pretty disturbing especially la gallina degollada (the decapitated chicken). I think Poe would be a fan.

If you know anything about Quiroga, you'd not be surp
Bexen
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
“Cuando Anaconda, en complicidad con los elementos nativos del trópico, meditó y planeó la reconquista del río, acababa de cumplir treinta años. Era entonces una joven serpiente de diez metros, en la plenitud de su vigor”.

Quiroga, Latin-American master of the short story, is also a master of the short sentence, the kind that can take you away in one breath and make you dream of stories untold and magical worlds never seen before. These stories are full of this kind of sentences and that is why o
Flor
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spanish-books
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: argentina, uruguay
I would sum up this collection as follows:

Love: torturous (beware of women's eyes)
Drugs: a slippery slope (a vampiric half-life may follow)
The jungle and the rural provinces: dangerous (don't eat that honey, watch out for snakes, and for god's sake, don't go out during heat waves)
& some talking animals.

Though "A la deriva" and "La gallina degollada" are probably the most well-known of the stories in this collection, I most appreciated the melodramas that open and close the collection, "Una estac
Elliott Turner
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This collection of stories is fantastic. It really does contain tales of love, craziness, and death. From the flirty young aristocracy of provincial "Pampa" Buenos Aires to the sweaty and gaucho-filled Northeast Argentina (near Paraguay), the tales hop, skip, and jump between class, location, and themes. A few of the dark stories bring to mind Flannery O'Connor but with gauchos (cowboys). Some of the courting tales recall Joyce's best stories in Dubliners. I'd lavish the book with five stars, bu ...more
Nathan
Dec 01, 2007 added it
Shelves: español
I just couldn't get in to this book. I started reading it on somewhat of a limb because I am looking for some good Spanish literature to read. Someone on the web called him an Edgar Allen Poe of Latin American literature. This was a book of short stories and I just couldn't get interested in them and quit reading about half way through. ...more
Andrula
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Quiroga could easily be be Edgar Allan Poe's missing brother. A very twisted mind which developes the most brilliant and surprising short stories. I have just re-read it after 15 years or so, and am still amazed by his style.
I think that you can say a book is great, when you read it almost a century after its first publishing date and still love it!
Karla
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This man, Horacio Quiroga, is sharing the spotlight with my all time favorite author Edgar Allan Poe. They wrote so much alike. Stories full of horror and morbidity. This is by far my favorite book. Every story is new nightmare. The first time I read this book I was 16, and I got drawn to the genre ever since.
robertcasey
Sep 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
this is a collection of short stories, thus the currently-reading title. quiroga is an amazing writer with a life history that is just as interesting. anyone who can read spanish, i highly recommend quiroga.
Atnea
I only had to read one story, and it was for my Language class. The Suicidal Vessels. Weird story. Not sure I understood the last sentence. But I think I got the overall idea of the story. Maybe I'll later read the whole thing. ...more
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Woman gets slowly killed by bug on pillow [s] 2 47 Jul 18, 2008 08:36AM

• El túnel
  • Aquellas horas que nos robaron: El desafío de Gilberto Bosques
  • Escuadrón Guillotina
  • Narraciones extraordinarias (I)
  • Salvar el fuego
  • La tregua
  • El jardín del mar
  • El monstruo pentápodo
  • Bestiario
  • Lunas de Estambul
  • Hopscotch
  • Las perlas malditas del almirante
  • El llano en llamas
  • Martín Fierro
  • Aura
  • Pedro Páramo / El Llano en llamas
  • Había una vez mexicanas que hicieron historia 2 (Mexicanas, #2)
  • Pedro Páramo
Horacio Silvestre Quiroga Forteza was an Uruguayan novelist, poet, and (above all) short story writer.

He wrote stories which, in their jungle settings, use the supernatural and the bizarre to show the struggle of man and animal to survive. He also excelled in portraying mental illness and hallucinatory states. His influence can be seen in the Latin American magic realism of Gabriel García Márquez