Start by marking “Fire Dancer” as Want to Read:
Fire Dancer

Fire Dancer

(Fire Dancer #1)

So You Think You Can Dance meets Storm Siren

Fire is a dangerous magic.

Sixteen-year-old Kyla is preparing for the test of her life: a high-stakes dance competition to win the role of principal dancer in the fire festival's elite troupe. When she's not sneaking off into the woods to practice forbidden magic, that is. Among her people, only the men are entrusted with the
Published October 1st 2019 by Fathom Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about Fire Dancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Dancer

Start your review of Fire Dancer
Deekay
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one is actually pretty cool. It has a very unique concept, and an absolutely amazing world-building. Honestly, this is hands down the most easiest fantasy story to read and understand. It wasn’t complicated, and it doesn’t have too much of intense magical things going on like most fantasy stories do. This is basically the most simple fantasy story, and very much entertaining.

The whole time I read this book, I was like, “damn, must’ve been so hot living in Orivesi due to all the fires.” The
Nathaniel
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book was everything I wanted and more. Catherine Jones Payne really outdid herself and I cannot wait to read more.
R.F. Gammon
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. The characters were great and so were the descriptions, and I absolutely LOVED the prose. I wish the stakes had been a little more clearly defined, but other than that it was great!
Ella J.
May 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I have very mixed feelings about "Fire Dancer".
The first thing in this book I have mixed feelings about are the characters. I like the female characters in this story. The main character Kyla is a strong, hard working, passionate, and loyal young woman. She has an amazing bond with her sister Breanna, who is also a great female character. I don't have sisters, but their relationship made me wish I did!

I wasn't however, the biggest fan of the main male character, Nolan. He, like Kyla, is hard wo
C.O. Bonham
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Slow burn plot, with a blazing climax

This book is the first in a series, and you can tell that most of it's purpose is to set up the characters and world building for future books. But all of that set up is done really well.

The main character Kayla has a secret dream. To be a mage. But girls are not allowed to use magic. So she instead sets her sights on being the lead dancer of her tribes fire dancing troupe.

It's a lot of highschoolish drama, but the faire magic makes it interesting. And thes
Rafaela
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own, reviewed

This book has such a unique premise and interesting world! I loved the magic system and I'm curious to see more. I also enjoyed the characters' relationships. This story had friendship, family bonding and an almost romance that I hope gets more developement in the next book.

I pthe approach this book has towards the emancipation of its female characters. The message it sends is that women don’t have to give up traditionally feminine/female things if they don’t want to. They can still be mothers
Selina R Gonzalez
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun, quick read. Cool magic and good worldbuilding. The fire dancing is interesting. I liked the characters. Not exactly a cliffhanger, but lots of unresolved plot threads.
Katie
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Catherine Jones Payne is an amazingly gifted storyteller. Her books are always hard for me to put down, and Fire Dancer is no exception. Such a great story from a great author!
Christina
I found Fire Dancer to be a refreshing YA Fantasy story. The story felt like a slice-of-life tale and the fantasy aspect was pushed to the background, allowing the characters to shine more in the foreground. I could actually put myself in each characters’ shoes. For me, this made Fire Dancer a joy to read.

Four key things made me want to pick up Fire Dancer. One, the cover is beautiful. The woman is gracefully admits a dance surrounded by magic and what I now know to be fireflies. Two, fire eleme
Jan farnworth
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was a tad hesitant going into this novel thinking it might just be a mediocre kind of read. Boy was I happily wrong. This unique story of a clan that has the use of fire magic is an epic page turner. At the heart of the story we have Kyla who has been preparing her whole life to step into the coveted Phoenix position in the fire festival elite troupe. Along the way she has made friends and possibly fell in love with an outsider, learned fire magic that is forbidden for females to learn, and sh ...more
El Duffy
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore this book and can't wait for the second to come out. The plot is very well thought out and interesting with good world-building. It has good morals along with the character growth and the sweet romance between the main character and her love interest. I recommend this book for any age and my only problem with it is that it isn't long enough.
Kat
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
If you love YA fantasies AND theatrical plots, you will find this one at the top of your TBR!

We follow the main character who is a dancer, trying to win a spot in her world's fire festival. But when her secret, magical obsession gets in the way, her life becomes intense, heated, and dangerous.

This is a story that will take ahold of you and threaten not to let you go until the last page. I loved the complexity of the world while also reading through an array of characters who dive deep into magic
Jamie McGillen
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It kept me up late last night, and then I had super weird dreams. I finished it this afternoon, and now I have THAT FEELING when you just finish a really good book and you don't know what to do with yourself. Can't wait for the next one!
Telle
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Simply wonderful

I was wary when I started reading but I was sucked right in. It was a nice change of pace from the usual YA Fantasy I read and I cannot wait till book 2 is out!
A.C. Williams
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beautiful story. Beautiful worldbuilding. Definitely want more.
Stephanie Stoll
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-ebooks
I really enjoyed this story! The fire powers (magic) of the Fintan were fantastic! I’m looking forward to reading the next book too.
Brie Donning
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It took me a long time to get past the first few pages of this book, but once I did... Whoosh, bang, crackle. Where's the book gone?
I loved it. Characters, theme, setting. It's lovely. Maybe not the ideal book to read during bushfire season.
Angela Watts
3.5 stars, rounding to 4.

STORY

Intriguing, a beezy read, and lovely fire and circus vibes, I enjoyed the overall gist of the story. I liked the vibes of the story world and such. But the moving plot bugged me quite a bit: it was very predictable.

Telling from the back cover blurb, I really didn’t see it coming: the patriarchy and the suppressed culture of women who not only cannot be mages, but are born to dance, marry, and breed. Basically, that’s the culture, or so, the female MC sees it that
Rae
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mine
I really enjoyed this story. Kyla, Nolan, and their families were fun and interesting characters. It was interesting reading about a society that put such limits on people, and it was interesting how the idea was approached, as well as how magic was approached. This book was short enough that was I wish some of the idea had been fleshed out a bit more. There was a lot going on in the story, which was good, but I wish there had been some more details on some of it. Some parts felt like they were ...more
Lucy-May
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I completely fell in love with the cover of this story, but when I found out that it was an story based within a travelling festival, with a dancing main lead who has elemental powers - well, I couldn't resist. Fire Dancer was a fantastic coming-of-age story that has got me very excited for it's sequel; I'm desperate to continue the story & to see what changes the leading lady can make. The book was a relaxing read, Kyla was a classic YA female lead (although there was teen & MG vibes dotted thr ...more
Kim  Gregory
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting story. Kayla is a Fire Dancer and wants to become the Phoenix, the premier position in the troupe. But even more than that Kayla wants to be a fire mage, but only men are allowed to be mages.

Nolan's family are outcasts from the Fire Mage troupe - his father married someone outside of their group - but he and all of his children have the gift of fire magic. Nolan is Kayla's best friend and he loves her - he is teaching her how to use her magic.

Inside of Kayla is a labyrinth
Joanna Bair
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the perfect book for a teenager who loves dance. I would have adored this book as a fourteen year old, so I’m basing my rating of four stars off that.
The whole fire magic and girl wanting to be a mage(only boys are allowed to) theme was relatable for teenage girls. A lot of the fire making and quelling reminded me of the Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale who is my absolute favorite YA author. In some ways this book would be fun to read if a teen has read those. They just can’t compare.
The
Hannah Michaels
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this idea, but I found the world building to be very lacking. I was disappointed that the world wasn’t more fleshed out, like Kyla’s tribe and their rules. It was like a 2D vision of a 3D world. I’m really hoping it improves in the next book.
Katie
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emotional and beautiful

I loved the smooth incorporation of magic and dance in this new novel from CJP. Great messages about letting love fuel creativity and pursuing opportunities for women. Interested to see what’s next in Fire Mage.
Chris Morris
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun engaging read

The author knows how to create compelling protagonists. Myla is no exception. Her fierce bravado and drive will hopefully inspire young women to break barriers in theories lived.
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I literally couldn't put it down and have been thinking about it since I finished. The characters are so well developed and the plot is so imaginative. This is the author's best work yet! I can't wait until book two is released!
Elizabeth
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ugg, I'm so bad at reviews. Especially when I've just finished a book. Too many thoughts and emotions. So I will work on a real review soon, but for now all I'm saying is it's really good! You should read it. And also, second review!
Kylie Hunt
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Read! Catherine spun a story of mystery and excitement that kept me on the edge of my seat - I definitely recommend this book!
Mariah Walton
Aug 20, 2020
Kayla
Nov 15, 2019

• The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
  • Seventh City
  • The Story Raider (The Weaver Trilogy, #2)
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)
  • Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • Sisters of Sword and Song
  • Keen (Banshee Song #1)
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
  • My Alien Engagement (The Accidental Alien Romance Chronicles, #2)
  • The Plastic Dinos of Doom (Iggy & Oz #1)
  • Beast
  • A Touch of Gold (A Touch of Gold, #1)
  • Mission to Protect (Military K-9 Unit #1)
  • Redeemed

Fire Dancer (2 books)
  • Fire Mage (Fire Dancer Book 2)