Start by marking “The Blood House” as Want to Read:

The Blood House

Seventy-five years ago, a family of three disappeared from their remote English home. Blood was left smeared all over the floors and walls, but despite an extensive search, their bodies were never found.

Now the house is ready to kill again.

On the run from his creditors, Owen Richards moves his wife and daughter out to the same house. Despite the strange portrait of an
Published March 27th 2016 by Dark Season Books

To ask other readers questions about The Blood House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blood House

Start your review of The Blood House
Angel Gelique
"Mama lost her head... Papa's still in bed... Mama lost her head....”

Owen Richards is a bit of a shady character. Accused of embezzling two hundred thousand dollars from his former employer, he's on the run with his family. He finds a too-good-to-be-true deal on a house in a secluded area. If something is too good to be true...well then, it probably is. In this case, the house isn't good at all. On the contrary....

Jenna, Owen's teen-aged daughter, isn't silent about her animosity towards the
Tamara
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another outstanding read from Amy Cross. For me ... the leather-skinned horror reader I am ... parts were more tongue-in-cheek than terrifying, and I love horror that can make me smirk. Truly. I give this book a solid 4+ stars.
Suzanne
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from AC .. A gripping Novella that is short enough to read in one sitting, but long enough to give you believable characters, a grizzly plot and plenty of blood, gore and tension. I really enjoy books where I am thankful it isn't me in that situation, but my interest is held as to how the characters will work out how to escape .. This reminded me very much of a Jonathan Creek story, but if I say which one, it'll give the game away. Well paced read all the way through ..
Heidy
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amy-cross
That's some messed up shit... Brutal!
Tania
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edge of your seat horror!
Ramona Plant
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Blood House is another well written book by Amy Cross. She was recommended to me by a friend so I started to purchase her books, and am happy I did.
Many horror stories have taken place in houses, but this one takes a different spin on it.The plot is interesting with some nice twists hidden within. The pace of the book is just right, never feels dragged out nor rushed through the story. Those are things I appreaciate a lot.

Owen is an interesting character. He seems rather shady at first but
Amy
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very gruesome to say the least

If a book could give the film saw a run for its money this one would definitely have a chance. Its exactly what it says in the title a blood house! Not for the squeamish at all. Very descriptive detail and an overall good read.
sara reynolds
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bloody Good Book!

I chose this review because the book is better than average. Lots of gore,which I enjoy(good escape for me). Not too predictable. Nice way to pass a couple of hours.
Elusive
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
In 'The Blood House', Owen is desperate to get away from the creditors and lawyers that won't stop hounding him. He finds the perfect solution in the form of a massive house rentable at a low price. Shortly after he moves in with his wife and daughter, the house's hunger for blood manifests in a series of vicious attacks..

The story dived into the characters' dilemmas - Owen with the chasers and Helen dealing with Jenna's unhappiness regarding the sudden move to a secluded area before becoming
Kim
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Amy Cross' books (and they are so cheap on Amazon, Bonus!) and I this was a handy short book that I could use for my reading challenge since I needed to read a book with a red cover. This book is a bit more graphic than the atmospheric haunted house horror I normally like best. But in this book I really feel like this more graphic element really worked. I was left gasping for breath a couple of times when one of the characters got hurt. It was very easy to get into this book. I ...more
Julia Coppage
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adrenaline-junkie thrill fesr of terror!

Amy at her hair-raising full-speed OMG what's happening next best! Full on page turner, with the feisty teenage daughter Jenna making heroic efforts to save her family from the vengeful blood machine house created by a mad-man Victorian inventor. Characters are fleshed out just enough to get a good grasp of their personalities so that you can root or boo for them. Scenery is minimal in this story but well done when called for. Amy is again kind and clever
Kim
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
I am a big fan of Amy Cross's books but must admit to being a bit disappointed with this one - not up to her usual standard. There was a lot packed into a very short space, which was quite gripping, but I do feel the story was a bit far-fetched, although I suppose you could say this for a lot of horror stories. I think my real bugbear with this one, as picked up by other reviewers, is that the book is supposed to be set in England but much of the dialogue, vocabulary and approach seems to be ...more
Sea Caummisar
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun read. A family, stuck in a booby trapped house that is trying to kill them! Pure genius. Spoiler alert... QUIT READING IF YOU DON'T LIKE Spoilers... The best part of the book is the not happy ending. I'm so not a happy ending person. I think of myself as a realist, so I loved the ending. This is a solid 5 star book. I'm so glad that I have so many more Amy Cross books on my Kindle
nora m malotte
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Blood House

We as humans have needs. Homes are up on top of the list. A madman from long ago has counted on that an made plans. Now his work is being looked after by corporations that he set up. DEATH AWAITS ALL WHO ENTER or can they be smart enough to beat the madman at his game ? This SUPERNATURAL THRILLER IS HORROR AT IT'S GREATEST. PREPARE YOURSELF AND ENJOY...I RECOMMEND !
Cheryl Pack
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To good to be true

If it's to good to be true, it usually is and this is no different. Once the decision has been made to move, either voluntarily or not, you are too tired to question oddities that you stumble across. This should be a lesson learned to question everything right then and if in doubt, get out. The brilliance behind it is amazing, and terrifying.
Dawn Clifford
Owen can't believe his luck that he's found a house for him and his family to live in, it's not only cheap to rent but will make it hard for the creditors to find him. The house has hidden secrets which they learn about on their first night there.
I enjoy a book with blood and gore but this was a bit too far fetched for my liking and only gets three stars
Julia Harvey
Too Americanised

Although supposedly set in England a lot of the dialect is Americanised. The daughter carries a baseball bat, not familiar with English girls carrying such things. Was dissapointed.
Erin Truxell
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why would anyone build a house or apartment that has a mystery. Maybe they wanted to see if someone is smarter than he was. Maybe there is no reason. Beware this book is on the gruesome side and there is plenty of blood. Amy Cross has out done herself again.
Mary Johnson
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner by Amy Cross

After finishing this book I, for the first time, didn't feel like I was left hanging. A good clean, clear and fast read. With excitement included. I am recommendating this book to my friends.
Angie
Apr 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't even finish it.

Good thing it was free. This book was unbearable to read. I've liked some of Amy's other books. The typos, the weird premise and the unlikable characters were just too much. :(
Stacey Wendy  Hammond
Perfect Halloween reading when I couldn't sleep. Just enough gore & thrills to keep me wanting to read the book in one go. If anyone's reading, this would make an amazing big screen movie ...more
Lavenia Otts
Dragged

I didn't I like the characters and The plot dragged for me. Just could not get into the story, no matter how hard I tried.
The Book Hermit
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A great story that fans of "Saw" would like.
B.J. Hyman
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping

I read it straight through. Not a perfect book but definitely does its job of frightening and creeping the reader out.
Brian S. Shipe
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Loved the story.Amy has a splendid way of writing tales.Read several of her's books and really enjoyed them all.read on.
Debra Barstad
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting little book. Creepy in just the right amount and a real page turner.
Garry Marlton
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So refreshing to read a book where there is a ending as promised in the begining. Loved this story and really liking this author
Judy Wilson
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in one sitting. Scary good.
Kathy
Another great one by Amy Cross!!!! She never fails to deliver!
Estalene
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Blood House

This book was really exciting. Just when you thought you knew what was going to happen next Army Cross throws a curve ball.

• Dark Halls
  • The Haunting of Gillespie House
  • The Haunting of RedRise House (The Ghosts of RedRise House #1)
  • Terminal
  • Voices in the Snow (Black Winter, #1)
  • Black Canyon
  • Madhouse
  • Callie (The Bayou Hauntings #1)
  • Don't Look Back
  • The Splendor of Fear
  • The Harvest (The Bell Witch #1)
  • The Seventh Ward (The Haunted #2)
  • Sleep Disorders
  • The Folcroft Ghosts
  • Sick House
  • Sacrificial Grounds (The Bell Witch #2)
  • Blister
  • The House Next Door
Amy Cross writes novels and short stories in a number of genres, mainly horror, paranormal and fantasy. Books include The Farm, Annie's Room, The Island, Eli's Town and Asylum.
“Honey, I won't let you down this time, I promise. One day, we'll look back on this moment and laugh.” “I'd settle for just looking back and not crying,” she replied.” 0 likes