Start by marking “Way of the Argosi (Spellslinger, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Way of the Argosi (Spellslinger, #0.5)

Way of the Argosi

(Spellslinger #0.5)

A MERCILESS BAND OF MAGES MURDERED HER PARENTS, MASSACRED HER TRIBE AND BRANDED HER WITH MYSTICAL SIGILS THAT LEFT HER A REVILED OUTCAST. THEY SHOULD’VE KILLED HER INSTEAD.

Stealing, swindling, and gambling with her own life just to survive, Ferius will risk anything to avenge herself on the zealous young mage who haunts her
every waking hour.

But then she meets the incompara
Published April 22nd 2021 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about Way of the Argosi, please sign up.
Sebastien Castell Ebook and audiobook are available everywhere except the U.S. and Canada as we're still finalizing the publishing rights for those (but they should be …moreEbook and audiobook are available everywhere except the U.S. and Canada as we're still finalizing the publishing rights for those (but they should be sorted out soon).(less)
Sebastien Castell You can actually start with either as neither has spoilers for the other. This one takes place chronologically earlier than the first Spellslinger boo…moreYou can actually start with either as neither has spoilers for the other. This one takes place chronologically earlier than the first Spellslinger book, so that would be one reason to start with Way of the Argosi and then Fall of the Argosi and then on to Spellslinger.(less)

Start your review of Way of the Argosi (Spellslinger, #0.5)
Jade Ratley
Mar 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
9.43 on CAWPILE.

My fav author, one of my fav series, with one of my fav characters... I LOVED THIS
Daisy
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
I firstly want to thank Hot Key Books for sending me this physical ARC.

I am not familiar with Sebastien de Castell's work or the Spellslinger series, but that did not hinder my experience whilst reading 'Way of the Argosi'.
This is an origin story for the character Ferius Parfax and it is written in a way that allows the reader to fully understand her personality and the reasons for her actions. It is almost as if she is telling you her story as if she were in front of you - there are times her
Pris
Apr 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to be an Argosi. Ferius can live rent free in my head together with Addie and Juniper 🥺🖤
Travis
May 31, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Way of the Argosi is the first in a prequel duology about Ferius Parfax who was a very prominent character in the original series. I was really excited to hear about this series knowing how much I love Ferius as a character, but I should have known that the Ferius I love would not yet be present as this is a prequel. That is where my enjoyment kind of dwindled. I will say that is on me and not on the book because I didn't go in with the right mindset.

This book however did take a little while for
Moon
May 09, 2021 added it
I am in the acknowledgements of this book and I love it (also I love the books, I enjoyed it so much, Ferrius is so badass and wow her story! Can't wait for the next one!) ...more
Nessa Luna [October Tune]
May 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, series, 2021, 2021prc
I just love Ferius so so much oh my gods.
Katy
Apr 07, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy_2021
Way of the Argosi follows the backstory of Ferius Parfax, a character from the Spellslinger series - we follow her growing up and the start of her journey to become an Argosi. We start the book following her after her family has been murdered by Jan'Tep mages (fuelling Ferius' rage and hatred) then she gets taken in by a couple of knights, who teach her briefly before they unfortunately die, she then turns to the streets and joins a gang of thieves, before finally meeting Durral, an Argosi who e ...more
Nuxyr
Mar 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
5/5*
You might be wondering how I was able to read this book already. I pre-ordered it at a german bookstore and they sent it to me prematurely. Great luck for me, because I could already read it. Good luck for you, if you're still not sure about pre-ordering it.
You can safely pre-order this book if you enjoyed any other book by Sebastien de Castell or if you enjoy good books in general.
As always, he delivered a compelling read, that, in my opinion, might be my new favorite of his. Well, ok, I'm
Glenn Allen
Apr 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As excited as I was to read this, due to spellslinger series being very high up in my favourite series ever, origin stories can be very scary. Do I want to know about the mysterious Ferius and have her fleshed out more? Will it destroy her character and how I feel about her from the main series?

The first 100 pages I wasn’t sure how I felt, the beginning of Ferius’s back story felt a little generic in fantasy settings and I didn’t enjoy being in her company though her rage and outbursts are justi
Diana
Apr 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I did love this one, probably even more than the previous ones on the Spellslinger series!!! I have loved to get to know the origins of Ferius, and I was surprised by the way in which is narrated, specially when you discover why. It's an amazing book, go for it!!

If you want to know why I loved it so much, my vid review will be available on April 28, 2021 here: https://youtu.be/yOOqqdzQ25o
Nicole
Ferius remains one of my favourite characters of all time. I just argh! Care about her so much!
Eve
Apr 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Good news: the book I've been anticipating for a solid year is finally here!
Bad news: I'm out of space on my designated Sebastien de Castell shelf.

Not every character needs a backstory - sometimes a character just is, and it doesn't matter how or why, and trying to explain it will just kill the magic. That's not the case when it comes to Ferius Parfax.

Unfortunately, due to commitments like "school" and "work" and "tragic virtual university open days", I didn't find the time to reread the Spellsl
Sifa Poulton
Apr 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received an eARC of the book from the publishers through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. It has not affected my opinion.

Ferius was one of my favourite characters in the SPELLSLINGER series, a confident woman of secrets, a teacher with age and wisdom that could only have been gained from long (practical) experience. As soon as I heard that she was getting a book of her own, I knew I had to read it!

It seems appropriate that I should read the prequel to the SPELLSLINGER series on a tr
Jon Mackley
Apr 23, 2021 rated it liked it
Another great story from Sebastien de Castell, this time delving into the history of one Ferius Parfax. It has all the twists that I've come to expect from reading the Spellslinger series.

But only three stars? Part of this is the narrator. Sometimes I just thought I was reading a first person narration from Kellen and had to remind myself that this was Ferius's story. And when you have a first person narrator (and one who appears in most of the later series) it takes away a lot of the sense of d
Vinay Badri
May 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-read
Prequels can essentially be money grabbers in the wrong hands(cough Phantom Menace cough) - but this was one case where we are justified in reading this. Sebastien de Castell hasnt written a bad book yet and its likely to extend as Way of the Argosi is a brilliant book in this world that we have seen before.

We normally see the mentor figures/ guides to our leads usually as well formed figures. But the interest always remains what if these characters were hellions in their days way back. What if
Robert
Apr 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
So the Spellslinger series is getting prequels...

If you missed Ferius Parfax lately, having an entire novel about her seems long overdue. However, as it's also a YA novel, we get young Ferius Parfax, before she was Argosi, finding her way towards the way of the Argosi. Turns out that young Ferius is a bit like every young abused orphan oppressed by evil, and the Path of the Rambling Thistle is to Ferius Parfax what Ferius will one day be for Kellen...

This is still a mightily entertaining, excell
Nedam Pravoime
Jun 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I haven't finished the Spellslinger series yet so for anyone wondering: yes you can read this book without having read any of the other ones and still enjoy it immensely.

I love books that combine fun and making you think. A book that has a moral to teach always seems to me more valuable, and this book does it well. It's entertaining, heartbreaking at times, touchingly heartwarming at others, and wise without venturing into preachy or pretentious territory.

The plot has a nice flow, characters are
Kemi
Jun 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was so good. It had a completely different vibe to it initially, in comparison to the Spellslinger series yet finishes with a similar feel. I say feel because it still felt unique but reminded you of the series - it also leaves enough room for growth, allowing you to feasible imagine her growth into the character we love. This was so sad watching all Ferius has gone through and makes you marvel at her strength of character. This books shows the strengths of Castell as an author as he manage ...more
Rachael Mills
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-owned
Ferius Parfax was one of my favourite characters in the Spellslinger series so it's wonderful to have a prequel focused just on her. It's a little bit darker than the original series as so much of the subject matter is the exploration of trauma and abuse. But it has the author's trademark wit, warm characters, and even a brief appearance of a squirrel cat.

I think this could be read by both old and new fans of the series as it explains the world-building and magic system for those new to this wo
Bode Cauthon
May 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“Durral says everyone needs a keepsake to remind us of the darkness in our own heart, like a compass that points backwards, showing the road we need never again tread. That’s what you’ll be to me from now on. For that and only that, Shadow Falcon - whatever your real name is - I offer you the Way of Water. Should our paths cross again one day, let there be peace between us.”

*cries a little*

Ferius stole my heart from the moment I met her in Spellslinger and learning about her secret history her
Mark Alexander
Apr 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-to-read-2021
So frickin good!
Having loved the authors 10 previous books (The Spellslinger and Greatcoats series') I went into Way of the Argosi pretty confident I was going to like it, but it still managed to exceed my expectations!
I always liked Ferius but wasn't sure how well her character would work as the central protagonist with her own series, but it turns out: very well!
Very much looking forward to reading Fall of the Argosi when it comes out later this year.
Travis
May 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Yes, this is a quick, easy read, but there's a lot of wisdom for someone willing to take it. Similar to the way Dune books made me want to be a mentat, or the way the Kushiel series made me want to serve in the Night Court, this makes me want to be an Argosi. Proving they are the most powerful in the room by being the quickest to show compassion. ...more
J. Griff
Jun 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book 😊
Mary Anne
May 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good prequel to the Spellslinger series.
Maddie
Feb 19, 2021 marked it as to-read
I literally cannot contain my excitement right now.
Dawn
May 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
I have to say I really enjoy these books. Great at any age. We can now understand the irascible Ferius a little more. Anyone reading the other Spellslinger books might think Kellen had a rough start in life but the young life of Ferius certainly explains a lot.
The ways of the Argosi are definitely somewhat obscure and open to interpretation which makes the outcome of any situation difficult to predict. The young Ferius has a long way to go to grasp the way. We are introduced to new friends and f
A J ALLEN
Apr 20, 2021
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A ​Court of Silver Flames (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
  • A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)
  • History Is All You Left Me
  • Who I Was with Her
  • Fractured
  • How to Make Friends with the Dark
  • Second Chance Summer
  • Frozen Rage (Hellequin Chronicles #6.5)
  • Small Time Vengeance (Hellequin Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Cinderella Is Dead
  • Malice (Malice, #1)
  • Golden Son (Red Rising Saga, #2)
  • Sistersong
  • The Outlaws Scarlett and Browne (The Outlaws Scarlett and Browne, #1)
  • Girl in Pieces
  • Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)
  • Pet
  • Spellmaker (Spellbreaker Duology, #2)
Hi Folks!

My tenth novel, WAY OF THE ARGOSI is in stores in around the world.

You can get a pair of free stories here.

The best way to stay up to date is at www.decastell.com, but I'm also on that Facebook thing. Also that Twitter thing. One day I'll even remember to get on that Instagram thing.

As to who I am? Well . . .

Sebastien de Castell had just finished a degree in Archaeology when he started

Spellslinger (7 books)
  • Fall of the Argosi (Spellslinger, #0.6)
  • Spellslinger (Spellslinger, #1)
  • Shadowblack (Spellslinger, #2)
  • Charmcaster (Spellslinger, #3)
  • Soulbinder (Spellslinger, #4)
  • Queenslayer (Spellslinger, #5)
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)