Start by marking “The Life She Deserves (Granite Springs #1)” as Want to Read:
The Life She Deserves (Granite Springs #1)

(Granite Springs #1)

Two old friends. A new relationship. What could possibly go wrong?

Growing up in the small Australian country town of Granite Springs, Jo and Col have been lifelong friends.

Following Jo’s divorce and the death of Col’s wife, the pair find comfort in their common grief. But as they tentatively explore their new relationship, they have little idea of the challenges that lie a
Published October 9th 2019 by Cala Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Life She Deserves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life She Deserves

Start your review of The Life She Deserves (Granite Springs #1)
Sharon
This was a truly great feel good story about friendship and I just didn’t want it to end. I connected with the characters and I must admit my favorite character was, Col. Col came across as a true gentleman to me and he was a very likable character.

Jo and Col’s long life, friendship was just that, but sometime after Col’s beloved wife passed away, his friendship with Jo steadily grew and they both started to have feelings for one another. Jo had been divorced for the past five years and seeing
Brenda
When Alice died, her husband Col and best friend Jo were devastated. She had suffered a long time – she was now at peace. The three of them had been friends for a lifetime, now Col and Jo comforted each other with dinner out twice a week, always at ease in each other’s company. Gradually the respect and friendship they shared grew to more, and with it being a year since Alice had died and five years since Jo’s divorce, they were happy to explore their new relationship.

But Eve, Jo’s daughter and
Kathleen
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 5-star-books, 2019
**SPECIAL DEAL ON BOOKBUB JUNE 4, 2021!!
Set of 1st 3 Granite Spring Books for 99 cents!'!! Highly recommended!

Special thanks to Maggie Christensen for an ARC of her newest novel, THE LIFE SHE DESERVES, which enabled me to read it and write this unbiased review.
THE LIFE SHE DESERVES has a beautiful cover depicting the main character Joanna Slater in the foreground with her rural property in the fictional country town of Granite Springs.
I have always been interested in Australia, so was delight
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Maggie Christensen is an author who has strived to carve out a niche in the publishing world. Christensen writes honest, realistic and highly relatable stories, with older protagonists in mind. Her latest work of contemporary women’s fiction is the first in a new series. The Life She Deserves heralds the beginning of three books set in the fictional rural town of Granite Springs.

The Life She Deserves takes the reader to the small country township of Granite
Dale Harcombe
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four and a half stars.
Jo and Col have been lifelong friends. Jo was a great support to Col when his wife Alice was ill and then later after her death. They find comfort in their common grief. Jo has been divorced from Gordon, Col’s business partner and best friend, for five years. Gordon had an affair with Carol and then later married her. She is much younger than him. As Jo and Col get together regularly they find their feelings changing from just friendship to something much more. Col and Alic
Helen
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could barely put this book down Maggie Christensen really knows how to bring life to her characters, this is the first book in a new series and Maggie is a marvel at older heroes and heroines and I loved it, what can I say, I do highly recommend that you pick this one up and get to know Jo and Col and to feel a part of Granite Springs.

Jo has been divorced from her husband for five years and she has three adult children and four grandchildren and Jo is happy in the house called Yarran her home,
Janine
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Life she Deserves is the beginning of a new trilogy by this amazing author. Whenever I read a book by Maggie, I feel like I have just put on my most comfortable clothes and feel so warm and content!
This story is about Jo who is now single after a long marriage to Gordon ended 5 years prior. Their three children all live nearby and their mother still lives in the family home in Granite Springs. Jo enjoys her single life despite the demands on her time by helping her children. Her daughter Eve
Kathy
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Author Maggie Christensen once again proves why she is the "queen of mature romance!". Jo and Gordon have been divorced for five years, and he remarried, but they have three grown children and four young grandchildren. His law partner and best friend, Col, has been widowed from her best friend, Alice, for a year. As Col and Jo continue their friendship, feelings of comfort begin to blossom into something more. But... everyone wants a piece of Gramma Jo. After all, she will be turning sixty so sh ...more
Vicki Johnson
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maggie Christensen knows how to make her characters and their lives come alive on the pages of her books. A couple of times I have been amazed at the similarity of her stories to not only my own life, but others that have been close friends. This book picks up the life of Jo and Col. Col is a widower and Jo is divorced. The two couples were friends when their marriages were still "existent.". They console each other after the passing of Col's wife, who also happened to be a dear friend to Jo. Jo ...more
Mary Monks
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is another delightful read from Maggie.
Even though it was similar to some of her previous books, it felt like I was slipping back into a comfy pair of slippers!!!
She has a winning, easy-to-read style and plays with your emotions brilliantly.
Jo and Gordon and Col and Alice have been friends for many years.
Jo has been divorced from her husband for 5 years when Col's wife dies.
They are there for each other to share the grief for a friend and a wife.
They are both surprised that, after a time, t
Ellen Gardner
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Maggie for sending me an ARC of your latest book. I always look forward to reading Maggie's books as they are about the more mature side of love. Once again I felt I could identify with the characters created in this book and loved reading about their lives in the fictional town of Granite Springs and I really look forward to the next instalment in the series. I could hardly put this book down as I wanted to know what happened and I recommend this book to anyone looking for a contempor ...more
cturner
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read

This is the first book I’ve read by this authorI love a book that whisks me away, that provides an escape to other places in the company of believable characters. This book did that and had the added bonus of not adding violence, or graphic scenes. I appreciate the escape! I will be reading more by this author.
Anne
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I’ve probably said this several times before, but every time I read one of Maggie Christensen’s books I’m struck by the sheer quality of her story-telling. There aren’t any real fireworks, nor the ubiquitous jaw-dropping twist: she simply presents her set of very real characters, and follows them through the twists and turns of their lives.

Jo’s experience in this book is a common one – adult children who think she has nothing she’d rather do than care for her grandchildren or support their busin
Meg Martin
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Normally I don't read books so focused on family interactions. However this author has a talent for making you fall for her endearing characters as she shares their story in such a way as you don't want to put it down. Written in British style which is perfect for the setting and so much would be missing without this part.
I won't go into extreme detail as others have covered this well or rather I won't go on about it too much. Jo and her husband (before he asked for a divorce 5 years ago ) were
Julie Cobham
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this first of 3 in one sitting. As usual, Maggie’s characters are entirely familiar and believable, as is her dialogue. However, I found Jo’s exploitation by her children, friends and ex to be totally frustrating. It really grated on me. I hope the next 2 novels allow Jo to grow, reach her potential and become her own person.
Janet Graham
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming Women's Fiction
This story is a very realistic look at finding love later in life and getting your adult children to accept it. There are many emotional moments, both high and low. It is a somewhat haunting book that I'm sure will be in my mind for a while. I plan on reading the rest of the series.
Karen
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another winner!

Once again Maggie has written a wonderful book. I found the story easy to get into and didn’t want to stop reading. The characters were relatable and interesting. I highly recommend reading this book.
Jackie
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful second chance romance story. Jo and Col meet again after being friends from a long time ago. Is there happiness in store for them. Loved it
Mary Lexie
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book and a thoroughly enjoyable read. Once again Maggie Christensen has written a story that holds the readers interest and makes you feel good. Always look forward to her new books.
Ruth
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this well written story. It shows how ex’s and all the twists and turns of family dynamics affect the mature relationship of Jo and Col.
Lesley Mckenna
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
2nd chances.

While I enjoyed this book very much, my overriding emotion throughout the whole, was intense frustration! Jo, the female character whom the book is based around is a lovely, loving, loyal person. Unfortunately, 2 of her 3 offspring are selfish to the core and Jo, instead of telling them all—they are in their 30s—to grow up and mind their own business, pussyfoots her way around them, enabling them to make more ridiculous demands on her time and patience But the apples do not fall far
Craig / Phil
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Maggie Christensen has been on my reading radar for a while now, so with a inviting blurb, a stunning cover and a glowing endorsement from friend and fellow blogger MrsB how could I go wrong and I didn’t.
This book is fabulous.
Book one in the Granite Springs series tells the story of two old friends who are about to turn sixty and the new relationship they both embark on while dealing with their families and small town gossip.
Jo and Col have been lifelong friends and with their respective partne
MEF
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Refreshing read

I really liked this book. A refreshing change to read a romance that features an older couple, second family challenges and shows a woman who having raised her boys and girl to adulthood , now needs to find a way to meet her own needs as well as those of her family. Good for you Jo! You showed more patience with Evie than I felt and bit your tongue with Kylie and Daniel . They are all lucky to have you!
Debra
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Life She Deserves

Jo has been divorced from Gordon for five years. She has started seeing Col after his wife died. But just as they were about to go public with their budding romance her ex decided that he wants her back. This story was fascinating and a great read. The family had their own ideas on how she should behave or live. What happens when she finally gets them all to listen to her is the best part of the story line.
Patricia Baxes
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written story, with great characters and unexpected twists and turns. There is great depth to the storyline, with layers and layers of deceit and broken promises. The road to the HEA is not easy—but so worth the journey. You definitely need to add this one to your TBR list today! (I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book and and absolutely loved it!) ❤️❤️
Beverly J McGinnis
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fast fun and easy read

It held my interest from beginning to end, but I nearly felt drunk from all the wine they drank. The characters and situations were true to life, a bit much for one family, but that made the book interesting, and ended well. I will probably read more from this series and author.
Sandra
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

I thoroughly enjoyed this lovely read. I did have to look some terms up on Google regarding some of the food! Lol. There was one thing that I would change and that was when the pregnant woman knew she was pregnant and had a glass of wine. That's a major no-no with me! Loved everything else about this book. Great characters.
Christy Calhoun Miller
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Maggie Christensen

A beautifully written story of life as it is. The characters so real, I almost felt it was written specifically with me in mind. Bravo for true stories with happy endings! I thank you for writing this wonderful book.
Alleluialu
Mar 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A good Aussie family story

This book reminds me of MacLeod’s daughters - minus the horses & cattle, of course. It has the same family feel to it. I liked reading about Jo and her getting a second chance at love.
Dorothy Lewis-Jones
Aug 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Life She Deserves

As a woman of a particular age I simply could not put this book down. I read it in one sitting. This is a new author for me and I definitely will be reading more of her books.

• The Cedar Tree (Tullagulla Book 1)
  • Charlie's Will (Barrington Book 1)
  • The Pepperina Grove (Tullagulla Book 3)
  • The English Oak (Tullagulla Book 2)
  • Born In The Outback
  • Time Will Tell
  • Settle The Score (Off The Field #2)
  • The Family Inheritance
  • The Shearer's Wife
  • Feels Like Home (With Love, From Kurrajong Crossing, #1)
  • The Light in the Hallway
  • The Godmothers
  • Something in the Wine
  • The Inn at Willa Bay (Willa Bay, #1)
  • The Sand Dollar Inn 1 (Manatee Bay, #1)
  • The Country Guesthouse (Sullivan's Crossing, #5)
  • One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow
  • Once Night Falls
After a career in education, Maggie Christensen began writing contemporary women’s fiction portraying mature women facing life-changing situations. Her travels inspire her writing, be it her frequent visits to family in Oregon, USA or her home on Queensland’s beautiful Sunshine Coast. Maggie writes of mature heroines coming to terms with changes in their lives and the heroes worthy of them.
From he

Granite Springs (9 books)
  • The Life She Chooses (Granite Springs #2)
  • The Life She Wants (Granite Springs #3)
  • The Life She Finds (Granite Springs #4)
  • The Life She Imagines (Granite Springs #5)
  • A Granite Springs Christmas (Granite Springs #6)
  • The Life She Creates (Granite Springs #7)
  • The Life She Regrets (Granite Springs #8)
  • The Life She Dreams (Granite Springs #9)

News & Interviews

Audiobooks are an incredible way to experience stories—a great narrator can use their voice bring the narrative to life in a way that the...