Start by marking “Elizabeth and Darcy: Ardently Yours: A Pride and Prejudice Variation” as Want to Read:
Elizabeth and Darcy: Ardently Yours: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

Elizabeth and Darcy: Ardently Yours: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  363 ratings  ·  34 reviews
We all know what Lizzy and Darcy did last summer Or do we?

This variation on Jane Austens beloved Pride and Prejudice asks two questions about the summer before Elizabeth and Mr. Darcys introduction.

What if Elizabeth visited Pemberley before meeting Darcy, and was prepared to think the best of him, rather than the worst?

What if Georgiana Darcy stayed home from
Published August 2nd 2019

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth and Darcy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeth and Darcy

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Elizabeth and Darcy: Ardently Yours: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
Sheila Majczan
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this as In Essentials by Vangie. This is my review which is posted under that title. I have now read this story in its published form.

As the other reviews state there is much of Jane Austens canon here which is twisted around in the authors own unique way.

We read of Elizabeth recognizing her first respect of and esteem for Mr. Darcy upon a tour of his estate while in the company of Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner. But when at the Meryton Assembly, he learns of her visit to Pemberley and asks her
Debbie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I admired this when I first read it online for its elegant, flowing writing, well-developed characters and a storyline that uses many elements from the original Pride and Prejudice but brilliantly flips them to bring about similar yet different results. The ending matches the best of romantic scenes and, again, echoes the original without exactly duplicating it.

The story is not exactly a gender swap, but yet it sort of is. Elizabeth falls in love with Mr. Darcy before he feels the same way about
Elin Eriksen
Pride and Prejudice variation.

Beautifully written story by a clever wordsmith.

The premises of PnP were altered by Elizabeth visiting Pemberley a year early and the Ramsgate debacle never happened because Georgiana fell ill. The consequence to the relationship between ODC were intriguing, particularly the shift in affection and resentment.

I particularly liked the clever infusion of phrases and twists from canon in new contexts.
I loved the warmth, depth and thoughtfulness that went into this
Anna Fitzwilliam
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
The first part was really nice. The second one so-so.
Barb
What I enjoyed most in this variation of P&P was the authors ability to twist Austens situations to her own purposes. I have always believed Darcy and Elizabeth were attracted to each other from the very beginning. This variation makes that same assumption, adding a little more angst for Elizabeth throughout, but especially during the Hunsford moments. The twist during the rescue was especially well done. ...more
James S
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
What-if Lizzy was predisposed to favor Mr. Darcy

The author is new to me and my first book Ive read of hers was excellent. Lizzy and the Gardiners trip to Derbyshire takes place a year earlier. She doesnt meet Darcy but has the great talk of Darcy by Mrs. Reynolds. So when he shows up at Netherfield she looks to him in a positive way.

Very original but really it makes no difference because he acts so poorly he alienates her.

Other what-ifs are in force so the story takes some fun twists and turns.
Holly
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute.

I liked the way events were rearranged in this variation. A quick read, but I found it a bit tedious and I had a hard time staying focused on it. I skimmed some sections. No grammatical or spelling problems. I only read it because other reviews were so good, although I rarely read novellas or short stories, nor anything remarked upon as chaste.
Jenny
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-read
This is a really well written book that has a really authentic feel about it. It's a really original idea too that brings about a change in the timeline and the subsequent meeting between Darcy and Elizabeth. She had travelled to the Derbyshire and toured Pemberley a year earlier, before she knew Darcy. She is attracted to him before he is to her. Their relationship has a lovely slow burn and yet there is still time for plenty of misunderstandings!! The Ramsgate situation didnt happen so we dont ...more
Rachel de la Fuente
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ardently Yours was an interesting take on Pride and Prejudice, flipping two important events in the timeline.

It was interesting how Ms. Wright adjusted well-known events, like Mr. Darcys first proposal, to suit the altered storyline. The adjustments were well-done and fit in with new storyline created. I very much enjoyed the alterations to Jane and Mr. Bingleys story arc, as happy characters make for better stories (in my opinion).

While well-written, Ardently Yours didnt resonate quite so
Mikayla
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This one lost me in the middle, but grabbed me again because it's short and a quick read. Not a ton of deviation from the original, really, except in the feelings of each accompanying the events (i.e. Elizabeth being friends with Darcy even though she still yells at him in Hunsford). Still, no major complaints and I'm going to try to read something besides JAFF next. My library books have been woefully neglected.
Esther
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Authentic. Charming. Very Austenesnque.

This P&P variation is wonderfully written and there's an authenticity about the characters and their situation that just flows easily. Wonderfully role reversals. But I was a disappointed with the ending. I wanted to go further into the future of the most beloved literary couple.
Francisca Bahamondes
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
So I finished this book like a week or so ago, I have been reading other things in the meantime so it is not very fresh, but I will try my best to review it well... So in this book, Elizabeth has already travelled to Pemberley with the Gardiners before the Meryton assembly, so she heard the housekeeper and other people in the vicinity speak well of the Master, but she doesn't know him in person. She is determined to think well of him when she sees him in Meryton. He seems familiar and then she ...more
Dawn
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up to 4. This was a sweet story that I enjoyed.
Emily M
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
A very average what if twist with some decent role reversals. The characters were true enough to canon that it was a fine road trip read. Nothing objectionable.
Jean Stillman
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. The writing was beautifully done, and I loved that it was Elizabeth who was first attracted to Mr. Darcy. There were so many similarities to the original book, but enough twists and turns to make it a different read.
This was my first time to read tho author, so I look forward to another of her books.
lori huff
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming

The plot twist explained in the book synopsis changes everything. Elizabeth has seen Pemberly, including a portrait of Mr. Darcy, and is predisposed to esteem him even before they meet at the assembly. Therefore, Wickham is not successful in his attempts to slander Darcy's name. For a change, it is Elizabeth who first becomes bewitched by Darcy, rather than the reverse. Darcy likes her, and they begin a friendship, but their insecurities and mixed signals result in misunderstandings that
Rhonda

Type: Pride and Prejudice Variation
Perspective: Elizabeth and Darcy
Romance Level: Kissing
Recommended: yes, 3 stars
Availability: This one is only available as a Kindle book, but is free for Kindle Unlimited subscribers.

Summary:
This Pride and Prejudice variation veers from the original story before the book begins with two key differences. First Georgiana is sick over the previous summer,
Lesley Mckenna
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story, very abrupt ending.

I enjoyed Elizabeth and Darcy: Ardently Yours, immensely, but as my heading states, I was very surprised nay, shockedto turn the metaphorical page on my iPad as only to find the, About the Author, page.

It seems to be all the rage for authors to surprise their readers in this fashionI just finished another work where the exact same thing happenedwith no indication, by addition of the words , The End, or Finis, or any such variation of same, that one had
Jacqueline Marshall
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
A Rearrangement Of The Original Pride And Prejudice

In this Pride & Prejudice variation, almost all the same events occur but in a different order. For example, Elizabeth has already visited Pemberly and has a good opinion of Mr. Darcy before she meets him. He still convinces Bingley to abandon Jane Bennett. Almost all events occur but in a different order. I did not like this repetition of the original P & P. I also didnt like the frequent use of phrases from the original story. Many
Lisa E
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh

A) it wasn't what I thought was advertised. I expected less strife and misunderstandings. How are they going to have a good marriage if they constantly, almost willfully, misunderstand one another? B) I don't think changing the concept of the story then stealing lines out of the original book works when the meaning should no longer be there. Plenty of authors have used original lines from P&P in different situations and made them work from a different perspective. Not so much in this
Anne Peterson
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read and wonderful writing.

One should probably be familiar with the original canon to fully enjoy this book. The pace is just right, and I believe the author is truly talented. What a pleasure to read a p..p variation with proper spelling a n d excellent grammar. This contains the first correct spelling of judgment. I highly recommend this clever, witty and engrossing book
Diannaewoods
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite variation so far

P&P variations are a nice little literary snack and this one, out of all the others, tastes the best. Wright carries the voice and tone of Austen so well, it is easy to imagine this is Austens own alternate version. Ultimately, it is still primarily a love story, and not social satire, but enjoyable nevertheless.
Sabrina
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
This story had put Elizabeth and Darcy in a situation where they married without building an attachment beforehand. The relationship between them built after they were married and it was sweet. However, it was short and incredibly convenient that everything "worked out" with Georgiana's decision and how it allowed the Darcys to get what they wanted.
Leigh Yarberry
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny brilliant

I really enjoyed the realism of Darcy and Elizabeth. Their chats were good and true to pride and prejudice form and the story was such a nice pace with enough twists and turns to surprise and delight me.
Jani M
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun P&P variation

Fun read, well written. I had a hard time with how quickly and easily Darcy came to tolerate Lizzy's sisters, and that he let Georgiana hang out with them... That didn't seem all that believable. Otherwise enjoyed the book.
Buturot
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rearranged with slight diff than canon

I loved the story. a different version of canon, events were rearranged and some slight changes, but narration and development were good. I enjoyed it though I noticed some didn't. I read this under KU but plan to buy this.
Michele Packard-milam
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent Variation!

This variation is fun because it is quite true to canon, but takes some very different turns, creating a fresh scenario and intriguing possibilities. Its flawlessly written and edited, which gives this reader pleasure, as well.
Aileen Reis
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT

A refreshing rearrangement of events and vivid portrayal of the characters resulted in a story I could not put down.
Emily
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable

I enjoyed this book. It was a good read that kept me turning the pages. It was a unique approach to have Elizabeth think we'll of Darcy from the beginning.
Diana

• The Perfect Gentleman
  • Sorrow and Second Chances
  • A Matter of Honor: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • A Chance Encounter in Pemberley Woods
  • Fitzwilliam Darcy, Poet: A Pride & Prejudice Variation (Dimensions of Darcy Book 2)
  • One Bride & Two Grooms: A Pride & Prejudice Novella