Start by marking “Elizabeth and Darcy: Ardently Yours: A Pride and Prejudice Variation” as Want to Read:
Elizabeth and Darcy: Ardently Yours: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

Elizabeth and Darcy: Ardently Yours: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

We all know what Lizzy and Darcy did last summer… Or do we?

This variation on Jane Austen’s beloved Pride and Prejudice asks two questions about the summer before Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy’s introduction.

What if Elizabeth visited Pemberley before meeting Darcy, and was prepared to think the best of him, rather than the worst?

What if Georgiana Darcy stayed home from Rams
Published August 2nd 2019

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth and Darcy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeth and Darcy

Start your review of Elizabeth and Darcy: Ardently Yours: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
Sheila Majczan
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this as In Essentials by Vangie. This is my review which is posted under that title. I have now read this story in its published form.

As the other reviews state there is much of Jane Austen’s canon here which is twisted around in the author’s own unique way.

We read of Elizabeth recognizing her first respect of and esteem for Mr. Darcy upon a tour of his estate while in the company of Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner. But when at the Meryton Assembly, he learns of her visit to Pemberley and asks her
Debbie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I admired this when I first read it online for its elegant, flowing writing, well-developed characters and a storyline that uses many elements from the original Pride and Prejudice but brilliantly flips them to bring about similar yet different results. The ending matches the best of romantic scenes and, again, echoes the original without exactly duplicating it.

The story is not exactly a gender swap, but yet it sort of is. Elizabeth falls in love with Mr. Darcy before he feels the same way about
Elin Eriksen
Pride and Prejudice variation.

Beautifully written story by a clever wordsmith.

The premises of PnP were altered by Elizabeth visiting Pemberley a year early and the Ramsgate debacle never happened because Georgiana fell ill. The consequence to the relationship between ODC were intriguing, particularly the shift in affection and resentment.

I particularly liked the clever infusion of phrases and twists from canon in new contexts.
I loved the warmth, depth and thoughtfulness that went into this wo
Anna Fitzwilliam
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
The first part was really nice. The second one so-so.
Shifra
A rare JAFF gem, that has everything to recommend itself; witty discourse, poignant chemistry with the characters, an exciting succinct plot, economical and restrained Austenesque writing and of course a Darcy who will make you swoon!

“…in acquainting myself with the contents of your father’s collection, I felt I could trace the genealogy of your remarkable intellect, and the discovery of our many shared ancestors was bittersweet.”

Let us not forget a Lizzy worthy of the name and bearing the i
Barb
What I enjoyed most in this variation of P&P was the authors ability to twist Austen’s situations to her own purposes. I have always believed Darcy and Elizabeth were attracted to each other from the very beginning. This variation makes that same assumption, adding a little more angst for Elizabeth throughout, but especially during the Hunsford moments. The twist during the rescue was especially well done.
James S
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
What-if Lizzy was predisposed to favor Mr. Darcy

The author is new to me and my first book I’ve read of hers was excellent. Lizzy and the Gardiners trip to Derbyshire takes place a year earlier. She doesn’t meet Darcy but has the great talk of Darcy by Mrs. Reynolds. So when he shows up at Netherfield she looks to him in a positive way.

Very original but really it makes no difference because he acts so poorly he alienates her.

Other what-ifs are in force so the story takes some fun twists and turns
Holly
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute.

I liked the way events were rearranged in this variation. A quick read, but I found it a bit tedious and I had a hard time staying focused on it. I skimmed some sections. No grammatical or spelling problems. I only read it because other reviews were so good, although I rarely read novellas or short stories, nor anything remarked upon as “chaste.”
Jenny
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-read
This is a really well written book that has a really authentic feel about it. It's a really original idea too that brings about a change in the timeline and the subsequent meeting between Darcy and Elizabeth. She had travelled to the Derbyshire and toured Pemberley a year earlier, before she knew Darcy. She is attracted to him before he is to her. Their relationship has a lovely slow burn and yet there is still time for plenty of misunderstandings!! The Ramsgate situation didnt happen so we dont ...more
Rachel de la Fuente
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ardently Yours was an interesting take on Pride and Prejudice, flipping two important events in the timeline.

It was interesting how Ms. Wright adjusted well-known events, like Mr. Darcy’s first proposal, to suit the altered storyline. The adjustments were well-done and fit in with new storyline created. I very much enjoyed the alterations to Jane and Mr. Bingley’s story arc, as happy characters make for better stories (in my opinion).

While well-written, Ardently Yours didn’t resonate quite so st
S. Neha
May 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Sweet!!

It’s a low angst sweet retelling .. nearly 50% follows the timeline exactly as the original but with major changes in interactions and feelings of the ODC... and of course Georgiana hasn’t gone to Ramsgate and hasn’t been importuned
then the author has turned the story on its head with Elizabeth coming to the rescue of Georgiana eloping with Wickham rather than Lydia

The writing is pretty good.. almost irreverent in the first few chapters.. some situations are very sweetly written.. when Da
Mykanos
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This one lost me in the middle, but grabbed me again because it's short and a quick read. Not a ton of deviation from the original, really, except in the feelings of each accompanying the events (i.e. Elizabeth being friends with Darcy even though she still yells at him in Hunsford). Still, no major complaints and I'm going to try to read something besides JAFF next. My library books have been woefully neglected. ...more
Liliya
May 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
The summer before Bingley and Darcy come to Netherfield, Elizabeth tours Pemberly and falls in love with Darcy from the account of the housekeeper as well as his portrait. When they eventually meet, Elizabeth is bound to see him in the best light, yet Darcy, the proud and haughty man that he is, pokes holes in Elizabeth’s vision of him as a perfect man...... the writing is beautiful and the story is good.
Esther
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Authentic. Charming. Very Austenesnque.

This P&P variation is wonderfully written and there's an authenticity about the characters and their situation that just flows easily. Wonderfully role reversals. But I was a disappointed with the ending. I wanted to go further into the future of the most beloved literary couple.
Veronlca
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable

Not the most original retelling of Austen’s beloved story but enjoyable nonetheless. We,the readers, are spared the annoying Mr Collins and Lady Catherine. The twist involving Georgianna and Wickham was pushing the envelope. However, reading this book passed another boring day of self isolation.
Nadia
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
How it came to be so that with removal of almost all hiccups on the road of this pair they still managed prolong their story? But to be fair let’s state that both pride and prejudice were on Mr Darcy’s side here. Letter writing reasoning was weak as was weak reasoning behind Wickham’s actions but it was quite entertaining.
Rachel
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Subtle changes in events leading up to meeting at the Meryton Assembly lead to Elizabeth bestowing a more favourable impression of Mr Darcy, though this is not without complications.
I enjoyed the conversations between Lizzy and Darcy, and the wonderful reversal of roles at one point.
Linda  Smith
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Delightful Rendition

I loved Ms Wright’s ability to tell a story similar to Jane Austen’s style. Her use of phrases and conversational scenarios were masterful. Gave our hero and heroine more depth. Looking forward to more
Faustine
Apr 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A very charming story, true to Jane Austen’s spirit ! It proves that clever and not over dramatic plots can still make a great story.
I also appreciated it is not overlong, each word is useful and emotions are described with delicacy.
I hope the author will write many more books.
Maura
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Very Cleve Role Reversals

A very pleasant reimagining that flips some of the things that Elizabeth said/did to Darcy and vice versa. Would recommend it.
Francisca Bahamondes
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
So I finished this book like a week or so ago, I have been reading other things in the meantime so it is not very fresh, but I will try my best to review it well... So in this book, Elizabeth has already travelled to Pemberley with the Gardiners before the Meryton assembly, so she heard the housekeeper and other people in the vicinity speak well of the Master, but she doesn't know him in person. She is determined to think well of him when she sees him in Meryton. He seems familiar and then she r ...more
Emily M
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
A very average what if twist with some decent role reversals. The characters were true enough to canon that it was a fine road trip read. Nothing objectionable.
Dawn
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up to 4. This was a sweet story that I enjoyed.
Jean Stillman
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. The writing was beautifully done, and I loved that it was Elizabeth who was first attracted to Mr. Darcy. There were so many similarities to the original book, but enough twists and turns to make it a different read.
This was my first time to read tho author, so I look forward to another of her books.
lori huff
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming

The plot twist explained in the book synopsis changes everything. Elizabeth has seen Pemberly, including a portrait of Mr. Darcy, and is predisposed to esteem him even before they meet at the assembly. Therefore, Wickham is not successful in his attempts to slander Darcy's name. For a change, it is Elizabeth who first becomes bewitched by Darcy, rather than the reverse. Darcy likes her, and they begin a friendship, but their insecurities and mixed signals result in misunderstandings that
Rhonda

Type: Pride and Prejudice Variation
Perspective: Elizabeth and Darcy
Romance Level: Kissing
Recommended: yes, 3 stars
Availability: This one is only available as a Kindle book, but is free for Kindle Unlimited subscribers.

Summary:
This Pride and Prejudice variation veers from the original story before the book begins with two key differences. First Georgiana is sick over the previous summer,
Lesley Mckenna
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story, very abrupt ending.

I enjoyed Elizabeth and Darcy: Ardently Yours, immensely, but as my heading states, I was very surprised —nay, shocked—to turn the metaphorical page on my iPad as only to find the, About the Author, page.

It seems to be all the rage for authors to surprise their readers in this fashion—I just finished another work where the exact same thing happened—with no indication, by addition of the words , The End, or Finis, or any such variation of same, that one had i
Jacqueline Marshall
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
A Rearrangement Of The Original Pride And Prejudice

In this Pride & Prejudice variation, almost all the same events occur but in a different order. For example, Elizabeth has already visited Pemberly and has a good opinion of Mr. Darcy before she meets him. He still convinces Bingley to abandon Jane Bennett. Almost all events occur but in a different order. I did not like this repetition of the original P & P. I also didn’t like the frequent use of phrases from the original story. Many sentences
Lisa E
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh

A) it wasn't what I thought was advertised. I expected less strife and misunderstandings. How are they going to have a good marriage if they constantly, almost willfully, misunderstand one another? B) I don't think changing the concept of the story then stealing lines out of the original book works when the meaning should no longer be there. Plenty of authors have used original lines from P&P in different situations and made them work from a different perspective. Not so much in this book.
Anne Peterson
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read and wonderful writing.

One should probably be familiar with the original canon to fully enjoy this book. The pace is just right, and I believe the author is truly talented. What a pleasure to read a p..p variation with proper spelling a n d excellent grammar. This contains the first correct spelling of judgment. I highly recommend this clever, witty and engrossing book

• Fitzwilliam Darcy Elopes: A Pride and Prejudice Variation