Start by marking “The Tinderbox: Soldier of Indira” as Want to Read:
The Tinderbox: Soldier of Indira

The Tinderbox: Soldier of Indira

From the imagination of actor Lou Diamond Phillips (La Bamba, Prodigal Son) comes an epic and unforgettable Science Fiction Fantasy tale.

Two worlds at war will bring them together... or tear them apart...

Everson didn't want to be a soldier. His parents forced him to serve, as all good Indiran men should. The only problem? His first battle against their mortal enemies g
Published October 20th 2020 by Aethon Books

To ask other readers questions about The Tinderbox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tinderbox

Start your review of The Tinderbox: Soldier of Indira
Amber
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this ebook ARC from the author, publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

When Prince Everson of Indira is left for dead on the enemy planet of Mano, he tries to survive on the planet as a guise of a soldier not knowing that he is unwillingly part of a prophesy to end a tyrants rule. Will he be able to survive and complete the prophecy while falling in love with a princess? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good sci-fi fantasy
Chris
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fans of Lou Diamond Phillips (of which I am one), will be thrilled to see him stretching his wings with The Tinderbox — a science fiction allegory inspired by Hans Christian Andersen. The story is a wonderful mashup of Stars Wars, Game of Thrones, and one of Andersen’s most complex fairy tales. An added bonus? Yvonne Phillips's haunting, beautiful illustrations.
Lauren Stoolfire
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from NetGalley i'n exchange for an honest review.

The Tinderbox: Soldier of Indira by Lou Diamond Phillips is an addicting YA sci-fi fantasy based on the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale that has a little bit of something for everyone. I'm glad I had the chance to try this early because Lou Diamond Phillips is one of my favorite actors. It's great to see him expand out as an author. If this debut is any indication, he's going to do amazing. His world(s)-building is quite detai
The Nerd Daily
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Beth Mowbray

You know Lou Diamond Phillips from his roles on screens both large and small, from La Bamba to Longmire, and most recently in his current role as Gil Arroyo on the hit television show Prodigal Son. What you may not know, however, is this actor and director is also a writer and he is releasing his very first novel!

The Tinderbox: Soldier of Indira is a passion project which has been over a decade in the making. And with so many years o
BookTrib.com
Actor Lou Diamond Phillips (La Bamba, Prodigal Son) has turned his attention to writing with THE TINDERBOX: SOLDIER OF INDIRA, a science fantasy/space opera retelling of the Hans Christian Anderson tale of the same name.

The book already is receiving high praise. Author Chris Vohalian calls it “a wonderful mashup of Stars Wars, Game of Thrones, and one of Hans Christian Andersen’s most complex fairy tales.”

Learn more about this book here:
C.T. Phipps
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm mostly familiar with Lou Diamond Phillips from Longmire so this was a surprise. I had no idea he was interested in science fiction or a science fiction writer himself. However, I was very eager to get into his book and I am very pleased by the results of what I've found. THE TINDERBOX is a story about a planet that cracked in half and the two civilizations that have since developed on those who resettled it with their space-age tech,. The two sides have long been at war and have devolved int ...more
Bookwyrm Speaks
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not very often you see someone who's mostly known as an actor that can also add good sci-fi author to their resume. For every William Shatner and Claudia Christian, both of who's books I love, there's ten others that took a swing based on their fame and missed. I'm glad to say that Mr. Phillips' skills developed acting, directing and screenwriting are obvious throughout the book, and he uses them to finely craft a page turner of a sci-fi adventure.

PLOT SUMMARY

Everson didn't want to be a sol
Rebecca Veight
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An unlikely hero, a princess imprisoned in the palace, a war between two planets that are mortal enemies, a prophecy that dooms a kingdom. This is a scifi fairy tale in space based on a Hans Christian Anderson tale with a forbidden love, epics battles and fueled with machiavellian intrigue. What's not to love?

Phillips clearly has a fertile imagination and a tremendous amount of creativity. The attention to detail is beyond noteworthy, like a scalpel, cutting precisely where needed, with the auth
Laurie
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading “Tinderbox: Soldier of Indira” and enjoyed every page of it! I don’t normally read Si-Fi but I wanted to read this because I’m a fan of the author. Beginning in 2012 I was a member of the “Longmire Posse” on social media (Promoting Longmire) which included cast, writers, execs, crew, etc. Mr. Phillips has been interacting with fans online ever since. I found him to be compassionate, intelligent, witty, and eloquent. I had no doubt I would love the book.
The story mixes Si-
coty ⚡
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I would've liked a bit more expansion on the lore. As is, the worldbuilding is very standard scifi, and doesn't exactly jump at me. The technology and magical elements are definitely a strength but I think underexplained to a debilitating degree. The romance is really predictable and I'm personally not a fan of Romeo and Juliet-esque love stories, but it's not exactly boring (I just wish that Allegra would have been developed a little beyond her connection to Everson and how "pretty" she is - I ...more
K.Z. Howell
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well done, highly imaginative tale

Well written and highly imaginative, 'The Tinderbox' delivers a fast paced adventure through an incredible landscape. Broken planets, cryptic prophecies and unlikely heroes/heroines Come toblife as they struggle through a world at war with itself.
Highly recommended!
Troy Osgood
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful story. Based off a Hans Christian Andersen story that I'm not familiar with, but will now seek out, Phillips has built an impressive and unique world. Excellent pacing, everything building to a crescendo. Mystery, leaving the story open for more.

I'm a fan of Phillips acting, now I'm a fan of his writing.
Beth M.
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You recognize the author’s name, right?! From La Bamba to Longmire to his current role on the hit TV series Prodigal Son, Lou Diamond Phillips has been starring on screens large and small for decades. And now, he has released his first novel!

The final product is a wonderful genre-bending tale of a young soldier by the name of Everson. Once upon a time, Indira and Mano were forged together as one planet; however centuries ago that planet was split in two. As son of the king and queen of Indira, E
Alex
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 12-and-13
Thanks to the publisher for providing an eARC of The Tinderbox: Soldier of Indira in exchange for an honest review.

I love fairytale retellings and this one was no exception. I am at a loss with how well Phillips transformed Hans Christian Andersen's The Tinderbox into a space-opera, but it definitely worked.

You can definitely tell Lou Diamond Phillips is used to working in a visual medium. The Tinderbox plays heavily into rich, vivid, descriptions that made it easy to forget you were even readin
Ziggy Nixon
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: scifi fans who enjoy "palace intrique"
Recommended to Ziggy by: Rhett C. Bruno (author)
I was provided a free ARC of this book by author Rhett C. Bruno (publisher? editor? confidante?) in exchange for an honest review. I will endeavour to do just that without fan-boying all over the place because, you know, um... WOW.

To my rating: 3.5 stars. Much better than the last 3-star book I read but just not quite as exciting as the last 4-star book but I'm registering it at the higher level because it was a really fun read. Overall, an incredibly well-written and florid tale that - while no
Cheryl
Long ago the planets of Indira and Mano were a single planet. Environmental catastrophe led to the single planet splitting into two, each uninhabitable for generations. Survivors orbited what was left of the planet in Astral Repatriation Communities until the planets were able to sustain civilization again. They returned to the now-two planets and that is when the real trouble began.
This debut novel by Lou Diamond Phillips is a complex, layered, and funny YA novel. The story seems straightforwa
Kym Jones
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Tinderbox - two items immediately caught my attention with the cover of this book: 1) the title is a Hans Christian Andersen story I grew up loving and 2) the author is a name of a man I grew up having the biggest crush on most of my teenage years. So, when I saw this book I immediately had to check it out and see if it was in fact THE Lou Diamond Phillips I grew up watching, writing a modern day version of one of my favorite stories - and when I found out it was, I just HAD to read it and s ...more
Alisha Carderella
“Two worlds at war will bring them together...or tear them apart...”

Everson is no warrior, and yet he has been forced to fight in a war he doesn’t really believe in. When things don’t go as planned, he is left behind in enemy territory. When Everson is found, he is offered a bargain- he can keep his life if he is able to retrieve the Tinderbox from the TREE- something no other man has accomplished. Everson soon discovers this could be the very thing that saves the two planets from impending doom
Cmoore
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't you totally love starting a new book? You've already taken an educated guess... you'll probably like it, but you're never sure until you've actually started it! And when you're right, It's like a surprise, a gift unfolding...
I had read/heard that the story was a fairy tale that takes place in space and automatically assumed that it was a retelling of some old story that had been dusted off and given a new grand backdrop of stars and sky, (because currently, retellings seem to be all the r
Courtney
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

The Tinderbox caught my attention due to its author, Lou Diamond Phillips. I had seen La Bamba years ago and that performance impressed me, so I was curious what he had to offer as an author, although celebrity books outside of memoirs and other “expertise”-related books have a reputation for being very hit-or-miss. However, this is one of the cases where the book is fairly engaging.

T
Courtney
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it

T
Cmoore
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Maria
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Tinderbox is very good! All my doubts flew out the window after only a few pages. It's a wonderful mix of fantasy, science fiction and fairy tale. In the world that the author has built up, there is a wonderful mix of future and present. At the same time as fighting with the help of high-tech craft, they fight with swords riding on flying creatures.

It's easy to like the characters and I appreciate that the romance between Everson and Allegra is as restrained as it is. Unfortunately, it is of
Laurie Bell
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A war romance that was foretold amongst the stars. This is a gorgeous book. A scifi epic with a romantic twist. Two worlds torn apart that once were one. A prophesy that tells of the fall of a King. A princess and a soldier destined to meet and fall in love. In the middle of a war lives will change forever. This is a beautiful story told with a storyteller’s eye.

A Romeo and Juliet story, a mad king, a magical tinderbox and two houses that must come together to save everyone. The worldbuilding is
Ross Armstrong
I was looking forward to reading this, a science fiction novel from the acclaimed actor, Lou Diamond Phillips. The premise sounded intriguing, two warring nations from a planet that had been split into two planets and a prophecy that would see the downfall of a king. A science fiction reworking of The Tinderbox by Hans Christian Anderson.

Unfortunately, the story is rather pedestrian and predictable with a real lack of character development. And the mix of sci-fi and fantasy does not really mesh.
Diane Hernandez
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Tinderbox is an exhilarating young adult science fiction book by actor Lou Diamond Phillips.

Once the two worlds of Indira and Mano were one planet. But a schism broke them into two. Of course, being populated with humans, the two new worlds quickly devolved into mortal enemies of one another. The worlds have a common prophecy of reuniting when an Indiran Prince and a Manoan Princess fall in love. The Indirans believe the prophecy is only a myth. However, the King of Mano believes in it so mu
Kathy Rose
Nov 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was a sci-fi retelling of the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale, "The Tinderbox." In Phillip's story, two planets are at war, and a soldier from one planet (Indira) becomes stranded on the second planet (Mano). The stranded soldier, Everson, tries to survive while avoiding capture, and ultimately becomes caught up in events surrounding the prophecy. The story has most of the elements of the original fairy tale, including a sequestered princess, and a tinderbox with magical properties. ...more
Joan Hoffman
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two worlds that were once one have been at war for centuries. After the last attack on Manos, Everson, a common soldier, is left behind. He has to survive on a harsh, alien world without getting caught and killed.
Allegra has been locked away by her father, the king, for years because he fears a prophecy: that his daughter will marry a common soldier and the king's reign will end.
The thing about prophecies is, the more you try to keep them from being fulfilled, the more likely you are to fulfill
William
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed seeing LDP's acting for many years & was excited to be able to receive an Advanced Reading Copy of The Tinderbox to review. The story is great and I would have given it 5 stars but for a couple of things.
Maybe it's just me but I thought the prologue/first chapter could have given a bit more background on the mechanics of the world. Why have guns & swords? Why have animal driven carts & motorized vehicles? Why is electricity used in only certain areas of the world? These were so
Dee
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to be honest that I chose it because of the author more than anything else. It took me. While to get into it and I found myself struggling at time with the world and characters but I don’t this this is a reflection on the author or the storyline but rather on me and getting into this type of story.
The romance was a bit distracting and took away from some of the other main characters which I thought could have been a bit more in the story as they were interesting. The story flowed well an
« previous 1 3 next »

• Next to Last Stand (Walt Longmire, #16)
  • Baron Steele
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • The Book of Hidden Wonders
  • The Red Lotus
  • The Salvage Crew
  • The Friendship List
  • The Reckless Oath We Made
  • Mostly Dead Things
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
  • Traitors' Fate (Queen of Thieves)
  • Emerge (Forgotten Starship #2)
  • Blackjack (Reapers MC #1)
  • Here Kitty, Kitty (Reapers MC #2)
  • The Cry of the Lake
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • The Campaign
  • Inferno Squad (Star Wars: Battlefront, #2)
Louis Diamond Phillipsis a Filipino American actor and film director. His breakthrough came when he starred as Ritchie Valens in the biographical drama film La Bamba (1987). For the Academy Award-nominated Stand and Deliver (1988), Phillips was nominated for a Golden Globe Award and won an Independent Spirit Award. He made his Broadway debut with the 1996 revival of The King and I, earning a Tony ...more