Start by marking “Heartstopper: Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Heartstopper: Volume 1

Heartstopper: Volume 1

(Heartstopper #1)

4.52  ·  Rating details ·  55,481 ratings  ·  11,220 reviews
Boy meets boy. Boys become friends. Boys fall in love. A sweet and charming coming-of-age story that explores friendship, love, and coming out.

Shy and softhearted Charlie Spring sits next to rugby player Nick Nelson in class one morning. A warm and intimate friendship follows, and that soon develops into something more for Charlie, who doesn't think he has a chance.

But Nic
Published May 5th 2020 by Graphix (first published September 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Heartstopper, please sign up.
George Or you can read online, starting with https://heartstoppercomic.tumblr.com/....

(Don't worry if you can't read the pale-blue on white. See https://www.…more
Or you can read online, starting with https://heartstoppercomic.tumblr.com/....

(Don't worry if you can't read the pale-blue on white. See https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..., where it's helpfully transcribed. And note that Laura's characterization of the guys as "soft" must be some Aussie-to-Yank mistransmission. They're both of them tough in all the right ways.)(less)

·  55,481 ratings  ·  11,220 reviews

Start your review of Heartstopper: Volume 1
Alice Oseman
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Heartstopper started as a tiny passion project and now it's a whole book. WHAT. Nick and Charlie have been close to my heart ever since I wrote them into my first book SOLITAIRE in 2012, and I'm so, SO happy to be telling their story while also doing the thing I always said I wanted to do when I grew up - make comics.

Read the comic online:
Kat
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
each time i read this it just gets better and better
Kai
I'm here to tell you that nothing is as precious as Nick & Charlie falling for each other so do not deprive yourself of this experience.

Ariel
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHAT A SWEET BOY THIS BOOK IS! I can absolutely see why fans of this series are so into it: it has wonderful characters, a super sweet relationship, and constant "eee!!!" moments. <3 ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 8/20/19: I still love this SO! DANG! MUCH! Charlie and Nick are too pure and my heart is positively soaring. ALSO: This (as well as Volume 2!) are the Sassy Book Club picks for the month of August! The live-show will be on Friday, August 30th at 7pm PST on Kassie's channel. We hope to see you there!

Original read 11/23/19: Uhm hello this is MY FAVORITE GRAPHIC NOVEL EVER. I have never swooned so hard in my life omg
Emma Giordano
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars!
April (Aprilius Maximus)
1.) Heartstopper Volume 1 ★★★★★
2.) Heartstopper Volume 2 ★★★★★
3.) Heartstopper Volume 3 ★★★★★

------------------------------------------------

2019 update - OMG I AM STILL OBSESSED WITH THIS.

OMG I AM OBSESSED WITH THIS.
Gabby
This book is insanely adorable and I can't wait to read more about these characters.
C.G. Drews
excuse me but this is the absolute cutest thing I have encountered and I am simply heart-eyes over it. I already adore Radio Silence and I Was Born for This (although I haven't yet read Solitaire which is slightly bad because this is a spin-off from that one) and I adore her work. But the art??? An entire book of the most adorakable and expressive yet simple artwork was just...😍😍

this book is soft™ and they are so young and sweet and wholesome.

i also have such a soft spot for books about realisin
Larry H
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alice Oseman's Heartstopper is a beautifully poignant graphic novel about identity, friendship, crushes, and the flush of first love.

Most people in school seem to know that Charlie is gay. He’s taken some bullying for it, and it’s toyed with his self-esteem and what he thinks he deserves in terms of relationships, but for the most part, life isn’t too bad.

One day Charlie gets assigned to a new classroom and sits next to Nick Nelson, who is a grade ahead of him. Nick is tall, muscular, popula
Whitney Atkinson
I had no idea this book was going to be part one of a many part series, so I am SHOCKED and BETRAYED by that cliffhanger!!!!

This is such a sweet story about Charlie and Nick's developing friendship and feelings. I loved how supportive Nick was in both being a friend and a teammate to Charlie, and in turn, I liked how this wasn't really a story about Charlie coming to terms with his sexuality; he was already out and proud, and he was just grappling with feelings for this supposed straight guy. I
✨    jamieson   ✨
Dec 21 Update

bitch !!!!!

*aggressively wishes happiness and joy upon them*

Nov 11 Update

MY HEART LITERALLY HAS EXPLODED OUT OF MY CHEST THEY ARE TOO CUTE I AM DECEASED !!

*slams fist on table* THIS IS THE CUTEST SHIT I'VE EVER READ

So this is basically a webcomic available for free here about two boys falling in love. One is openly out as gay and the other is sort of figuring out his bisexuality and the two of them are just dfsdjkd so freakin cute

!!!!!!

If you're a sucker for fluffy romance this is
Andrea Ashwood
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-books, favorites
Why I haven't read this before??!!

The most lovely story I read for too many time.🥰
And that end?! Why?! Need the 2nd RN...

SEND HELP

Review coming soon...
lily ☁️
Hi hello hi my name is Lily, and these two precious boys own my heart. Oh, and you definitely want this wholesome, pure, and wonderful book in your life.

Also … I may have teared up, when I received my signed copy. :’)

My first signed and doodled-in copy, and it’s one of my favorite books. 😭💖

I guess I’ll be spending my winter break rereading HEARTSTOPPER 🤷🏻‍♀️✨🎄❄️ pic.twitter.com/OH50rrCBMR

— Lily ☁️ (@sprnklsofdreams) December 24, 2018

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | TumblrTwitter
Charlotte May
How adorable!

3.5 ⭐️

This was my first graphic novel and it was so damn cute!

Charlie and Nick are one school year apart, they've never spoken before until they are seated next to each other in their tutor group.
Soon their acquaintance evolves into friendship. Charlie joins the school rugby team that Nick is on and they realise they have more in common than they first thought.

There is so much more to this book than meets the eye. Characters discovering their sexuality, dealing with bullying and
demi. ♡
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, lgbtq
❥ 5 / 5 stars

OMGGGGGGGG You’re gonna kill me, right? Why did it have to end like this??? 😱😱
I. NEED. TO. READ. THE. SECOND. VOLUME. LIKE. FOR. NOWWWWWW!!!

Heartstopper Volume One : review
Heartstopper Volume Two : review
Heartstopper Volume Three : review
chan ☆
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHOLESOME. GAY.

this was so lovely, and it's not even over!!!!!! the story follows nick & charlie and honestly i am just so blessed by them and this comic.

it's a simple comic about friendship & discovering your sexuality.

the reading format was a little strange to get used to for me (lots of scrolling) but the art work was SO DAMN CUTE. the story was cute and the art work was just perfectly suited to it.

all in all, you gotta read this. not much else to say.
Romie
rereading this again and again is self-care, I don't make the rules (4.75)
Lauren Lanz
This is the happy pill us grouches called humanity need.

While reading Heartstopper I quite literally sat in my room sipping my drink, smiling around the straw because what a cute love story! Simple drawings, great characters, and a whole lot of wholesome <3

Thank the lord for Alice Oseman. I just received more than a healthy amount of joy reading about Charlie and Nick. I’m almost certain that although I smiled a lot during this graphic novel, there were a ton of times I didn’t even take note of
Warda
Okay, I wanted a lot more from the story.
But I now need Volume Two pronto!
may ➹
oh my god, this is literally THE CUTEST thing I’ve ever read??? I’M SCREAMING. I’m actually in love with Nick & Charlie and I just binged the whole thing in the last half hour. I don’t know how I’m going to wait for all the updates but whatever!!!! I’ll just keep rereading it!!!!! ...more
Cristina Monica
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, lgbt
I knew Alice Oseman had talent after reading Radio Silence, but I didn't know she had a GIFT. ...more
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars!

Pretty damn good!

For one who isn’t an expert on comics nor the biggest fan of YA, this was the bees knees.

Topical YA with a punch! Don’t be fooled into thinking this is simple and carefree. It is sweetness and earnestness, all rolled up in teen angst that superbly catches all the doubt, insecurity, and feelings that come with attraction and identity.

Totally accessible and enjoyable and free!
Kevin (Irish Reader)
April 17th 2020: Reread and once again 5 stars! Loved it so much the second time around! I also read this during the Stay Home Reading Rush and talked about it in a vlog on my YouTube channel, you can watch the video here for more of my thoughts: https://youtu.be/JC-O73cVhfI ...more
Gemma ♕ antari.and.the.books
I loved this so much!! It was super cute and gave me so many feels. I can't wait until vol 2 is released later in the year because I need more of these two in my life! Perfect!

UPDATE- I preordered Vol 2 and I can't wait for it to be in my hands. These two are just pure OTP!
Kenny
Heartstopper: Volume One ~~ Alice Oseman

Harvey Milk once said You got to give them hope . This is exactly what Alice Oseman does in her wonderful Heartstopper comics. She gives hope ~~ hope to an entire generation of young adults who need a champion. Oseman is their voice. And what a wonderful voice she is. If you haven't guessed it already, I loved Heartstopper.

In the span of 263 pa
Dannii Elle
This was the most pure and wholesome thing I have ever read and my heart can't cope with how much I loved it! Nick and Charlie are my new favourite soft boys and deserve all the love and happiness in the world. The rave reviews for this had me almost hesitant to pick it up, so heavy was the adoration it received, but I need not have feared as it was heart-aching perfection!
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
"Yes, I will listen to the rain. I will listen to the mountain bird. Oh, a heartstopper is the solitaire's one note - high, sweet, lonely, magic."

description
description

Here's why it's called Heartstopper.
Somewhere in the middle of those words, and the beautiful art. This story manages to do the following to that 'hollow muscular organ that pumps the blood through the circulatory system':

- Make's it skip.
- Fills it up.
- Stops it dead.
- Starts it up again.

By the time you've experienced Nick and Charlie, you'l
Teens Monthly Boo...: #11 Heartstopper vol. 1 - Sep. ‘20 9 10 Oct 09, 2020 07:07AM
YA LGBT Books: * August 2020 BotM - Heartstopper (poss spoilers) 10 69 Sep 04, 2020 01:38AM
Let's Get Psyched...: Heartstopper 1 2 Jun 24, 2020 01:22PM
Goodreads Librari...: Change Heartstopper vol.1 page number ISBN: 9781444951387 2 17 Feb 08, 2020 05:39PM
LBSCI 767: Review of Heartstopper 1 9 Sep 26, 2019 05:37PM

• Mooncakes
  • Check, Please! Book 1: # Hockey
  • Felix Ever After
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Fence, Vol. 4: Rivals
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
Alice Oseman is an author/illustrator and was born in 1994 in Kent, England. She has written four YA contemporary novels about teenage disasters: SOLITAIRE, RADIO SILENCE, I WAS BORN FOR THIS, and LOVELESS. She is also the creator of LGBTQ+ YA romance webcomic HEARTSTOPPER, which is now published in physical form by Hachette Children's Books.

Alice’s first novel SOLITAIRE was published when she was

Heartstopper (5 books)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Four (Heartstopper #4)
  • Heartstopper: Volume 5 (Heartstopper, #5)

Articles featuring this book

Author and illustrator Alice Oseman is known to her long-time fans for her young adult novels about—as she calls them—"teenage disasters,"...
“You can't tell whether people are gay by what they look like. And gay or straight aren't the only two options.” 36 likes
“This is England, not Antarctica. Deal with it.” 6 likes