Start by marking “The Shadow of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #2)

The Shadow of Kyoshi

(The Kyoshi Novels #2)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  11,073 ratings  ·  1,296 reviews
The epic, can’t-miss follow-up to the New York Times bestselling Avatar, The Last Airbender:The Rise of Kyoshi

Kyoshi’s place as the true Avatar has finally been cemented—but at a heavy cost. With her mentors gone, Kyoshi voyages across the Four Nations, struggling to keep the peace. But while her reputation grows, a mysterious threat emerges from the Spirit World. To st
Published July 21st 2020 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow of Kyoshi, please sign up.
Jenna I hope there will be more books, as like a spin-off? This is a duology, but maybe he can create more canon of other avatars!

·  11,073 ratings  ·  1,296 reviews

Start your review of The Shadow of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #2)
may ➹
this book officially pulled me out of my slump never underestimate the power of the gays
Sana
Jan 25, 2020 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
WARRIOR GIRLFRIENDS ON THE COVER TOGETHER 🙌🙏🔥
Silvana
Four stars? Five stars? It's still so damn good. You know, I still can't decide. For now, I'll stick to four. Maybe because I expected many more action scenes ;p

What struck me about this second novel is that Avatars were even more human than ever, making mistakes, failing, making mistakes again, driving friends and loved ones away, living alone, and so on and so forth. Their powers simply do not exclude them for those, not to mention public opinion, fear, hatred, and prejudices. Avatarhood is mi
breana / milkyboos ♡
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ok but where can i find my fire-breathing girlfriend and rag tag crew of benders to take on the world with
elias
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
I feel like not enough people are talking about the many problems in this book and how they contradict established canon in the earlier Avatar works. So I'm gonna mention them here:

1. Kuruk's past life does not in any way correspond to what we learned about in The Last Airbender. There was no mention of the face thief spirit or of Kuruk's wife. In addition to that, how could an Avatar, whose mission is to connect the spiritual and human worlds, and one from the northern water tribe at that, who'
CF Dracarys
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So I love this book and I love Avatar Kyoshi (by far my favorite Avatar). The first book was much better to me in terms of plot. This second book seemed more focused on world building and elaborating on characters and lore we know from ATLA and LOK. I pray they make these books into animated movies or shows on Netflix, I think Nickelodeon has a deal with them.

I loved the way this book ended and even though this is marketed as the last book, I hope they surprise us with another!
Clarissa
Hello, I humbly request more books in the series PLEASE

Just. Forever in love with this universe, and especially Kyoshi.
Shealea
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know what conclusion I wanted for this duology, but The Shadow of Kyoshi ended so perfectly that I was literally sobbing. The highest of recommendations.

Full review to follow.
Maëlys
☆ 4 / 5 ☆

The Rise of Kyoshi (Book 1) : 5/5

“Kyoshi screamed in the darkness, over and over again, her hatred for the world and herself spiraling into oblivion.”

While I still really enjoyed my time with this installment, I did not love it quite as much as the first book.

My main disappointment is purely based on the fact that we only see a glimpse of the Flying Opera Company and I really wanted to get used to them more and build a deeper connection with their characters. And overall it was ju
Lilah
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: atla-lok
I need a Rangi in my life 😩🆘️

If my favorite gay avatar can't pull me out of this reading slump probably nothing will

- - - - - -

"We've gone too far," she said to the fox. Then she realized she was talking to an animal. She'd gone too far indeed. In the head.

This entire book was like an emotional roller coaster for me. I cried. I smiled. I laughed. I fell in love. I cried again. I got angry. I got scared. I smiled.

Kyoshi is by far the most badass avatar to ever been portrayed in this franchise
Antoine Bandele
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a VERY high 4-star.

Just like the first book, I love almost everything about this novel.

But what pulled it down for me, surprisingly, was Yee’s writing. I kept getting lost in his overwritten purple prose, and some of his action was difficult to follow once he strayed away from general action to more specific stage direction.

Funny enough, the reason I like this book so much is also because of Yee’s writing. When he hits, he really hits. His character work is great and his world-buildin
Missy Ansell
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
May I please have more avatar books 🙏🏻
Sara Rastakhiz
Sep 04, 2020 rated it liked it
kyoshi is simply my favorite Avatar and she is not the violent woman everyone makes her to be.
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
PAIN. This book was PAIN.

But so so good. I especially loved the implicit discussion of "Evil: nature vs Nurture". One thing I wish though is that the "after" were a bit...better. It wasn't as satisfactory as it could have been considering that there were some loose ends left untied as well as some reunions that weren't given the proper care and attention. But the story as a whole? *chef's kiss*. Such a glorious sequel.
Manisha
Actual review: 3.75

“People shouldn't have everything they want. No one is entitled to their every desire. To live in balance, we must willingly decide not to take all that we can from the world, and from others.”

The Shadow of Kyoshi is the final book in The Kyoshi Novels duology.

Court Politics and Policies

There were several aspects I really enjoyed in this novel. For instance, the pressure society puts on Kyoshi, as she is the Avatar, as well as the pressure she puts on herself is pract
jocelyn
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 / 5

first things first, WARRIOR GIRLFRIENDS ON THE COVER
second, i enjoyed this sequel a lot more than the first! i think i connected with the characters a lot more this time. in this story, kyoshi has to deal with her morality, her duties, and what makes an good avatar, and i could really feel for kyoshi’s struggles. the story starts with her clearing away criminals through brute force, and then her doing the same to the officers that arrested them because they are corrupt themselves. this s
Iris
hi I love kyoshi thanks bye

okay but seriously wow this series is good. like damn. the characters, the writing, the fast-paced plots, the discussions of morality . . . this book has it all. I think with atla, it's ultimately a kids show and it works perfectly, but because of that it can only get so dark; the kyoshi books are firmly YA, and it means they can get a lot grimmer, a lot more existential and morally questionable and messy.

the thing about this series is that it's ultimately hopeful, but
Rachel
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt
Just like the last one, I felt that the characters besides Kyoshi were unexplored. It was odd that Lao Ge was barely in the book at all and the rest of the Flying Opera Company only came into play at the very end of the book. The battle with Yun also felt very anti-climatic. I did like the new waterbending healer(I don't remember her name) and Kyoshi and Rangi were perfect together as usual but this spoke to me even less then the first one. ...more
Adah Udechukwu
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Shadow of Kyoshi is a great sequel.
Gretal
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved these books a whole lot, and I still just want so much more about Kyoshi. Like this is just Kyoshi at 17, but what was she like at 40, 87, 133, 191, and 205?
Iago Augusto
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Rant Review.

Finishing Shadow of Kyoshi felt like getting rid of a terrible burden. The first book of the Kyoshi Novels presented a cast of compelling and somewhat well-written characters, and cutting off half of that cast for the second book wouldn't have been such a terrible mistake, if the new characters were at least credible.

Main plot points are ignored, characters change from water to wine in a couple of pages, and the author gives you hints of a couple of important worldbuilding details, w
Saul
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Rise of Kyoshi is a rollercoaster of a book that somehow manages to balance adventure, action and lore. The Shadow of Kyoshi is a worthy follow-up with all the ups and downs — only louder, faster and much more heart-pounding.

It’s been a great year to be an Avatar fan. Not only is the fandom buzzing with anticipation over the live-action remake (please be good 🤞), but the popularity of ‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ is ramping up like never before, largely thanks to its return to Netflix.

Meanwh
Lance

“Honor cannot be coveted too dearly, young lady. Sometimes it must be laid down for the good of others.”

“No fire is ever the same fire. No Avatar is ever the same person. You and the flame change with every moment, every generation. You are one flame, and you are many.”

4.5 stars. The Shadow of Kyoshi s
rain
Jun 23, 2021 added it
THIS DID NOT DISAPPOINT. the kyoshi duology is truly a masterpiece, especially because it reminded me how great of an experience reading is. maybe this is odd to hear from someone who's read too many books this year alone but it's rare to find books that i can call my all-time favorites now, and yet this duology has effortlessly made its way into the list. the action scenes, the characterization, the portrayal of raw emotions...everything is well done. i don't know what else to tell u so you'll ...more
milou  ☕️
The Avatar creates ripples in the world, whether they mean to or not.

The now world know that Kyoshi is the Avatar. With her new status Kysohi struggles with the world's expectations of her after the lose of people who were close to her. When the Four Nations are being threatened Kyoshi must join forces with unexpected parties.

─── ・ 。゚:☆. *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Italian Trulli
Credit to the talented creator

Where Kyoshi has been a servant throughout the duration of the first book, she is now slowly enfolding
Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon
Hey.

Hey you.

You like Avatar: The Last Airbender?

You recently finish binge watching ATLA and The Legend of Korra on Netflix?

You struggling to regain meaning in life and need more ATLA content as much as Zuko needed his honor?

You like the meme "be gay do crime"?

Well then do I have the books for you.

The Kyoshi Novels are truly an excellent addition to the ATLA canon. They provide much depth to the lore and characters. Taking the legendary figure of Avatar Kyoshi and making her fleshed out.

In the l
Kate
I really enjoyed this sequel! I only wish the Flying Opera Company had showed up a bit earlier - I would have loved to see them interacting with Jinpa and Hei-Ran, to be honest - but all in all this was a good, strong follow-up to The Rise of Kyoshi.

Full review of the whole duology to follow on my blog!
Ben
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
skye
i'm going to personally march into avatar studios and start punching walls until they adapt my gay daughters into a series ...more
Cande
FANTASTIC ICONIC POWERFUL. I LOVE THEM SO MUCH
Goodreads Librari...: Kyoshi page number correction 6 48 Jan 04, 2021 09:19AM
Request to change page numbers 1 8 Jan 04, 2021 09:16AM

• Days Past: Christopher (Chain of Gold Extra Content #3)
  • Days Past: Lucie and Cordelia (Chain of Gold Extra Content #2)
  • Cirenworth Hall, Devonshire (Chain of Gold Extra Content #4)
  • The Devil Tavern (Chain of Gold Extra Content #1)
  • The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)
  • When the Moon Was Ours
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • The Weight of Feathers
  • The City of Bones (Chain of Gold Extra Content #5)
  • The Three Musketeers (The D'Artagnan Romances, #1)
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • Fall of Hades (Michael Vey, #6)
  • Storm of Lightning (Michael Vey, #5)
  • Island of Fire  (Unwanteds, #3)
  • Island of Shipwrecks (Unwanteds, #5)
  • The Unwanteds (Unwanteds, #1)
  • Island of Graves (Unwanteds, #6)
  • Hunt for Jade Dragon (Michael Vey, #4)
See top shelves…
F.C. Yee is currently the author of THE EPIC CRUSH OF GENIE LO. He will hopefully be the author of more YA books in the future.

The Kyoshi Novels (2 books)
  • The Rise of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #1)