Start by marking “Once Upon an Eid” as Want to Read:
Once Upon an Eid

Once Upon an Eid

Once Upon an Eid is a collection of short stories that showcases the most brilliant Muslim voices writing today, all about the most joyful holiday of the year: Eid!

Eid: The short, single-syllable word conjures up a variety of feelings and memories for Muslims. Maybe it’s waking up to the sound of frying samosas or the comfort of bean pie, maybe it’s the pleasure of puttin
Published May 5th 2020 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon an Eid, please sign up.
NAYAAB KAUSER No, this book contains 15 stories and each of them is about the importance of Eid, the significance it holds in the Muslim community and the love that…moreNo, this book contains 15 stories and each of them is about the importance of Eid, the significance it holds in the Muslim community and the love that is shared among family, friends and relatives on this day. And who can forget the delicious food, presents and the fun!(less)

Start your review of Once Upon an Eid
♛ may
full reviews finally posted

you guyssss!!

i cannot recommend this anthology enough!!! especially for my muslim friends, if you're able to, ABSOLUTELY read this during the end of ramadan/during the days of eid because it gave me the most wonderful, warm, happy, celebratory feelings

a few things i want to mention before diving into mini reviews for each story, these books are targeted towards a younger audience. they have more straight forward writing, morals, and lesson. to me, most of the stories
emma
I wish I had this EXACT BOOK when I was a kid.

This is a perfect delight of a middle grade book filled with short stories about celebrations of Eid, and let me tell you, as a child who was admittedly growing up in a super homogenous (read: white) community, this would have made a world of difference.

In conclusion: I am so glad that children have this and that adult me has it too!!

------------
pre-review
goodreads rules because you can say, in passing in a review, "i want to read to more books with
✨ A ✨
Rtc
___
it's been years since I've read a middle grade. But since it's a week till Eid (!!!) I think this will be a perfect read to get me into the celebratory feels!!

Y'all this better have the Muslim rep I need. I cant handle another book misrepresenting us
Ahmed  Ejaz
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, full-lengths
I used to wonder how Eid feels like in other countries. This anthology is perfect to read if you are wondering the same. It has all the wonderful stories about Eid and all of them end on a happy note of joy and celebration.⁣
.⁣
The best thing I found about this anthology is that not all Muslim characters were portrayed so unrealistically good or perfect. They had flaws which they realized in the stories. And I feel them close to the reality too.⁣
.⁣
All of the authors in this anthology were ne
Lala BooksandLala
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Flawless
Saajid Hosein
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
*ARC review.

Masha'Allah, this was was the cutest and purest thing I've read. I love the diversity of cultures, backgrounds, experinces that were represented in here. I especially love that their was a story about a Shia Mulsim girl. This is the kind of story that Muslim kids deserve in 2020 and I'm so happy it exists. I'll do a fuller review a bit later, but for now, please pre-order this book.
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
WE DID IT FOLKS! I finally found an anthology I love from start to finish 😭

I read this in one day on Eid and that was the most perfect thing I could have done. Every single story is so different but ultimately they all surround Eid, and the spirit and vibe of Eid is so present in each one of them no matter what type of story it is or the themes it explored. Each story surrounds a specific theme that pertains to the celebration (joy, gratefulness, community, hope, generosity, etc...) and I really
Layla
May 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~ 4 stars ~

This was such an adorable read! I highly recommend to Muslims and non-Muslims alike.

This is a compilation of different stories about Eid, which are the two major holidays in Islam. It tells stories of different cultures, traditions, and memories in such a cute way. And it's super diverse, which I appreciated.

Overall, there is not much that I have to say about it. It's a lighthearted and positive read, and I'm really glad to have picked this up.
chaity
Apr 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-books
I COULDN’T HAVE ASKED FOR A BETTER EIDI! ✧ ♡

It's Chaad Raat in my country right now as I post this review. I'm a little early but, EID MUBARAK TO EVERYONE WHO CELEBRATES!
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Abrams Books for Young Readers for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

Perfect by Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow - ★★★★☆

Seraj Captures the Moon by G. Willow Wilson & Sara Alfageeh - ★★★★☆

Searching
Khadidja
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have read this book in 2020 but i'm still thinking about it. It has the most accurate muslim representation i've ever read, the stories are so heartwarming, so sweet and it gives an insight on what Ramadan means to te muslim community and how families from different ethnicities celebrate it. I usually don't read middle grade books but i've gotten into them last year and i'm so glad i did!
If you want to read a diverse book by authors of color i urge you to support and read this one! For you or
Rida Imran
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
Eid Mubarak everyone!

___

Highly recommend to everyone. It's time to diversify what you read and learn about other experiences. There's a lot of misconceptions and Islamophobia out there educate yourself

____

I'm a 23 year old Muslim. When I was growing up there were no mainstream books with Muslim characters except for maybe The Kite Runner but that was a refugee story. I'm not saying that's not important; it was and I love that book. But the Muslims you see regularly like us did not have character
S.K. Ali
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
You know that delish feeling of being wrapped in the warmth of a story filled with characters confident and true? How it feels like the whole world is content but it's not out there being content, it's actually in your heart being content? Contained and cozy?
That's a readerly-feeling I got to experience often as a kid -- in books like All-of-a-Kind-Family and Beverly Cleary's works. And Judy Blume's Fudge-escapades!
And now, we present you the same cozies, in settings familiar to those who've exp
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
This may be one of the best anthologies I've ever read. Every story was delightful and unique, and the idea that the anthology is about Eid and how Eid can be and look and celebrated differently by Muslims, highlighting how beautiful Islam and diverse Muslim people are? I loved it!

- This anthology contains 15 short stories accompanied by gorgeous illustrations by Sara Alfageeh, about young Muslim kids during Eid and centers on what Eid represents and celebrates.
- There are stories by and about
Umairah (Sereadipity)
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Once Upon an Eid was a heart warming and uplifting anthology all about the indescribable joy of Eid and its power to bring people together. It was full of wholesome, own-voices Muslim representation and it's a brilliant read for Muslims and non-Muslims alike. As a Muslim, I felt like a saw a small piece of myself in every story and I think many others will feel the same. I loved how Muslims with so many different cultures and Eid traditions were represented. Reading this anthology duri
Paperback Mo
Jun 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was our group read for the #allyathon readathon.

Included in my May Wrap Up video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xNv-...

This book is not just about Eid - its about different cultures and there was so much representation in this book! This was a good opportunity for the authors to do that and they took FULL advantage of it.

The full page illustrations are beautiful!
I wish the graphic novel chapter was longer!
The stories were thought provoking, image inducing

5 stars!
Rue
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so festive. I like reading about different cultures and this book had that warm, comfy, welcoming feeling to it. Although each story is centred around Eid but it still shared something unique that I as a reader could resonate with. Be it the joy of seeing the community getting together by sharing traditional food or seeing someone trying to know the meaning behind Eid felt so personal and real. The best part about this Anthony is how all the authors incorporated islamic principles l ...more
breana / milkyboos ♡
Apr 08, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2022
this may very well be the first short story collection in which i genuinely enjoyed all of the stories :”) each main character had such a distinct voice and i loved reading about all the different ways Eid is celebrated!

my favorite stories were probably “seraj captures the moon,” “kareem means ‘generous’,” “searching for blue,” and “not only an only”

highly recommend!
menna
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
this both made me cry and gave me the best feelings possible
Sian
Apr 14, 2020 rated it liked it
ARC received via netgalley.

Once upon an Eid is an anthology of stories about Muslim holidays that are filled with joy, happiness, diversity and love. It's edited by one of my favourite authors S.K.Ali and Aisha Saeed, with contributions from 13 other authors.

This was really, really cute. This won't be the longest review because this is written as a children's book and really isn't very complicated.... but there's no denying that many of these stories were absolutely adorable. These stories were
Maha
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
i received an ARC of this book from the publisher through netgalley in exchange of an honest review. this does not affect my thoughts in any way.

Once Upon an Eid is a celebration of the joy and magic that is Eid. throughout multiple short stories, we discover Eid through multiple cultures and families. and it was. so. cute. i even felt tears in the corners of my eyes multiple times.

each contributor in this anthology brings something new and special. i felt more love growing inside me after e
Rida Quraishi
Jun 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"What makes a day special?
Smiles. Favorite-colored dresses and fancy lips.
And smells."

This book!!! ❤️❤️❤️ It was soo sweet, and adorable and surprisingly such a tear jerker!
It is a heartwarming collection of 15 short stories about Muslims based around Eid. It felt like each author presented their best in these stories because I enjoyed EACH ONE of them thoroughly. It made me cry sooo much though! When I was feeling the happiness of the characters or their troubles. Each story spoke to me, an
Mara
Apr 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A devastatingly beautiful and at times heartbreaking collection of short stories about faith, family and friendship. Highly recommend this for younger and older readers. Absolutely wondrous.
The Nerd Daily
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Annie McCann

The holy month of Ramadan is the 9th month on the Islamic Calendar. It is the holiest month of the year for Muslims as it was during the month of Ramadan when Islam was born. This is the time Muslims observe the fast during daylight hours to remember those less fortunate and to also reflect on our lives and remember to remain humble. A time for prayer, a time of family and togetherness. Of course, this year – everything has changed b
Shehzeen Muzaffar
As a kid this book would've made all the difference but I am so glad that this book exists and so many Muslim kids would be able to see themselves in these characters and will feel the same joy these characters felt.

I was so excited for this book and it didn't disappoint me at all. Because the book is middle grade, all of the stories are very straightforward and easy to understand. Each story brings something very unique to the whole book and I absolutely loved all of them.

Listen, I have read s
☾
Jan 06, 2022 added it
Shelves: 2022
put this in all elementary/middle school libraries NOW!

recommend: yes. note that the stories are geared towards children/middle grade! and that they all kind of aim at teaching a lesson (ex: sharing is caring) that children stories tend to teach. wish i had this on my shelf growing up- i absolutely loved the diverse representation as well as the adorable illustrations!!
Maryam
May 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Eid Mubarak!!! (Mubarak means blessings in Arabic:)

Gahhh I LOVED THIS!! The best short story collection I've read. At the end of every story, I got the warmest feeling in my heart. I feel so blessed to be in unity and solidarity with all my sisters and brothers in Islam as we celebrate Eid together🥰🌙. (The English meaning of the word Islam is obtaining peace by surrendering to the will of God).
Yan
Apr 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Such a heartwarming anthology that I recommend everyone to check out!

My favorite stories were Yusuf and the Great Big Brownie Mistake and Kareem means “Generous”!
(inactive)
Apr 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Insightful. Fun. Juvenile.

This was quite an enjoyable read. As a non-Muslim person, this anthology was such an incredible insight into the culture of Islam and more specifically Eid. I want to begin this review by expressing how important I believe this book to be, and how incredible I know it will be for young kids to be able to finally see themselves in the stories they choose to read. The fact that this entire anthology is told through own-voices authors was a marvelous idea, and I'm so happy
Tahoora Hashmi
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Did someone say diversity? Because this book is fillllllled with it in ways I did not expect. Once upon an Eid is a collection of short stories written by various Muslim authors that talk about Eid's celebration in various households around the world under various circumstances.

We are talking eid, the excitement before eid, the food, the eid dress dilemma, an eid where we don't feel like celebrating, an eid where our loved ones are suffering, an eid when you have just lost someone close to you,

• Mindy Kim and the Yummy Seaweed Business (Mindy Kim, #1)
  • The Ghouls of Howlfair
  • Crank (Crank, #1)
  • Masters of the Universe #8 (Masters of the Universe (2012), #8)
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • Guts (Smile, #3)
  • Ghost Boys
  • We'll Always Have Summer (Summer, #3)
  • Into the Tall, Tall Grass
  • Frankly in Love
  • The Okay Witch (The Okay Witch, #1)
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • The Revenge of Magic (The Revenge of Magic, #1)
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • The Kingmaker (All the King's Men #1)
  • Jammer Star
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
See top shelves…
S. K. Ali is the NYT bestselling and award-winning author of several books. Her debut novel, Saints and Misfits was the winner of the 2018 APALA Honor award, the 2017 Middle East Book Honor Award, and a 2018 William C. Morris Award finalist. Her widely acclaimed second novel, LOVE FROM A TO Z, a story about finding love in the time of Islamophobia, was an Entertainment Weekly Top Ten Young Adult B ...more