Start by marking “Raybearer” as Want to Read:
Raybearer

Raybearer

The epic debut YA fantasy from an incredible new talentperfect for fans of Tomi Adeyemi and Sabaa Tahir

Nothing is more important than loyalty.
But what if youve sworn to protect the one you were born to destroy?

Tarisai has always longed for the warmth of a family. She was raised in isolation by a mysterious, often absent mother known only as The Lady. The Lady sends her
Expected publication: August 18th 2020 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about Raybearer, please sign up.
Jennifer I just asked the author via Twitter and she confirmed there is a sequel! Let the rejoicing commence!!
Aoife In passing, yes. The main characters seem to be straight, but one character confesses to not wanting to have sex, so probably ace, and a minor male…moreIn passing, yes. The main characters seem to be straight, but one character confesses to not wanting to have sex, so probably ace, and a minor male and female are described as being attracted to men and women, respectively. (less)

Start your review of Raybearer
Amy Imogene Reads
Excited!

Thank you to Amulet Books for an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.
Jthbooks
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IS THERE A BOOK TWO? I NEED A BOOK TWO!
LIKE YESTERDAY
Abbie | epochnovels
As magical as The Lion King, and as luscious as The Wrath and the Dawna simply refreshing debut, teeming with life, love, and color.

In the global empire of Aritsar, love-starved Tarisai is compelled by her mother to join the council of a divine Crown Prince. Her mission? Earn his trust. Fall in love. And when the time is right. . . Kill him.

I don't even know where to begin. . . This book felt like a hug. Like a warm, magical hug.

Tar (Tarisai) is a ferociously loyal and kind heroinealmost to a
Jessica Khoury
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED THIS BOOK.
Kelsea
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, arc, 2020-04-apr
4.5 stars!

This. Was. BRILLIANT. YA fantasy has become such a tough sell for me (I've just read so much of it), but I'm still tempted to read it -- especially when a new #ownvoices / diverse read comes out!

Raybearer strikes a lovely balance between keeping familiar elements of YA fantasy and incorporating things that are new and different and that I've rarely or never seen done before. I *thought* I knew where the story was going and I was very pleasantly surprised to find I'd been wrong.

I'm not
Ms. Woc Reader
This book took me on a journey that tested my sense of love, loyalty, and family. If you're looking for your next fantasy read I suggest you pick this one up. I felt for Tarisai and hope that other readers will as well.

Raybearer had just the right balance of world building and characterization along with great pacing to keep me hooked.

See full in depth review at blog below
Alexandra
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book is nothing short of incredible. I'm not usually into Fantasy but Jordan Ifueko's world hooked me from the first page. She skilfully combines lush prose with an immensely creative fantasy world and a brilliantly compelling cast of characters. I couldn't put it down and I can't wait for book two!
Kim
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raybearer hooked me from the first page. Jordan did a great job of showing how much Tarisai craved her mothers attention and would do anything for it. That being said, I wish we got more interaction between Tar and her fellow council members. Council members talk about how close they are, but I didnt really believe that because we dont see them spend much time together. Or we only see Tar interacting with Kirah and Sanjeet, but there are supposed to be 11 council members total. Thats the one ...more
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)

4.5/5

What a beautiful debut!! The world of Aritsar as well as Ifueko's prose were stunning and vivid. I loved the culture! It felt a lot like a mashup of Children of Blood & Bone and City of Brass, but was everything I wanted from both of those books (and didn't get). This was the gorgeous Nigerian fantasy that I expected jumping into CoB&B, which left me feeling disappointing. This one did not!

I was utterly hooked from the first chapter! It was so magical and enchanting it drew me in.
biblio_mom (Aiza)
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It follows Tarisai who was born in a way that even herself wished not to be born at all. She longed for mostly absent mother known as The Lady. Against her will, she was sent to Aritsar, the capital of the global empire to be chosen as one of the Crown Princes Council of 11. She will became one of the council siblings and connected through The Ray which they can talk to each other in their minds if she got picked.

The Lady mission for her is to kill the Prince. But would she kill the person who
Kerri
Note: The publication date of this book was pushed from April until August due to *vaguely gestures at everything* But I received an ARC from the publisher before that decision was made. I do plan on sharing this review again closer to the release date, but I couldnt NOT talk about this book now! Thank you so much to Amulet Books for sending me a free review copy in exchange for an honest review!

Ive been sitting on this review for awhile because Raybearer is not a book you review off the cuff.
Gemma
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to be offered a review copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I haven't really read a fantasy inspired by West African folklore and I was keen to dive into this one because it sounded so good. After finishing this book I can say I enjoyed the story overall but i definitely have some mixed feelings about it.

I will be honest after about 100 pages I was considering DNFing this book. I will say now that I've finished it I'm really glad I didn't however,
Elvina Zafril
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raybearer is fascinating. It is so good. I didnt expect it could be this good. This is one of the best fantasy books Ive read so far.

I just love how the characters started out as young children who are competing for the Council. They are growing and their characters have developed and they are starting to choose their own destiny instead of just follow what has been inherited to them. I really like Tarisai. All the characters are interesting and likeable. All of them have their own story to
Tilly
Mar 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars

It seems that I am an odd one out in the reviews so far as they are all 4 or 5 stars.
Raybearer started off with so much promise. I loved the worldbuilding which was a beautiful mix of africa and magic. I was really intrigued by the plot to begin with and couldn't wait to see how the story continued. I felt a real connection with the female lead and loved the idea of a council joined by magic so they are incredibly close.
Sadly at about the half way point, I started to get a little bored. I
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book from the cover to the exciting plot twits, the settings, to the character development. It is a complex study about right and wrong, gender expectations, making hard decisions. I will be recommending it a ton!
Andhisnosestuckinabook
Amazing content, beautiful magic system. If you want a book with beautiful culture, fleshed out characters and a world of politics. The only thing that let this book down for me was the pacing was to slow for me at times.
Rachael Mills
A richly-detailed Nigerian-inspired fantasy with incredible world-building and complex characters. The prose was engaging and the plot gripped me from the first page. This is one of the best fantasy books I've ever read.
Naomi
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fun, arcs
*ARC from NetGalley*
Enchanting from the beginning. Well-written. A good story of mind over matter and that family isn't necessarily those with whom you share blood. Superb, especially considering it's a debut novel.
Tara
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This debut is SO GOOD! Aside from the fantasy, African mysticism and culture, and good old fashioned adventure, it is steeped in a place of longing so sincere that it leaps off the page.
Angelina
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a débuté novel I didn't expect it to be so good. This book is right up my ally and it's so hard to find good books these days. I'm looking forward to seeing more from this author. Its a wonderful fantasy novel but I think this will be a series ? ...more
Kristi
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Publication date has been pushed to August of 2020. Review closer to this date.
Elizabeth
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, arc, read_2019
Tarisai only wants to belong, she feels abandoned by her mostly absent mother, known only as The Lady, and trapped in a home where her only interactions are with tutors and servants. Then suddenly she is sent out into the world to compete with other children for a spot on the Crown Prince's council. Yet, if she is able to achieve that she will be compelled by the Lady's magical wish to kill him.
This is high fantasy at it's best, full of intricate world building and complex characters. Theres a
The Bookish Faerie
Thank you to @definitely.boks for sending me an ARC of this book. It will be available in all good bookstores starting 4th April 2020 #RayBearer.

Tarisai is the only child of a powerful woman known to all as The Lady, even to her own daughter. Since a child, all she ever wanted was to feel the love and approval of her mother. All she wanted was her mother, isn't that so PURE? *shiny eyes* Born and raised in a mansion in the desert of her homeland, Tarisai was taught by the finest professors and
legenbooksdary
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raybearer is a story about leaders who govern the nation and it involves the transition of the past generation and onto the next. The most important and special aspect about this book is to have each other's trust and loyalty because without it, it wouldn't be complete and possible.

I find it fascinating to read a story like this one where its about identity, being brave and bold in the choices one makes. The base and major part part of this story is interesting and the pace of it made it an
Jenny
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
But now, when I dream of Mama... I say things that make her frown." Kirah paused, watching a flock of synchronized swallows soar across the red-streaked sky. "I say, 'Why don't ever blessids ever let women lead the caravans? They do just as much work as men.'. Or, "Why do blessids wash their hands after trading with other realms? Those people are no dirtier than we are.' And Mama cries and say, 'Where did my Kirah go? Who is this sneering girl who spits on her home, who questions her elders?
Aoife
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020e, 2020arc
Tarisai longs for a family, after being raised by indifferent tutors in a hidden compound. But when she finally has the chance to find that family, the reason for her upbringing becomes clear; her mother expects her to kill her new found family and has used powerful magic to ensure she complies. Tari must find her own power in time to save her emperor and her entire world...

I'll be honest, as I always try to be in my reviews. I wasn't sure about this book. The cover, the blurb, they both said
Rebecca Veight
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the author says "This story is the magic-infused sum of all my cultural influences. I was the fairy tale loving, American-born child of Nigerian immigrants, drawn to strikingly different worlds.." and that solidifies the gorgeous foundation of this story.

In midst of a magical world, our protagonist is being raised like she is being prepared for something. There is a 3rd wish yet to be granted, that 'imprisons' Tarisai to someone else's will and keeps her apart from others. A dangerous wish to
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Received advanced reader copy from publisher via Baker & Taylor book supplier

What if youve sworn to protect the one you were born to destroy? Tarisai was raised in near-isolation with only her tutors as companions and a rare visit from her mother. She longs for a family and, when her mother sends her to the capital to compete to join the Crown Princes Council of Eleven, Tarisai sees her chance to find the companionship she desires. But, as she leaves her home, Tarisais mother gives her an
J.E.
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is gorgeous in every way that counts. From the cover illustrations to the prose to the characters and the story itself, debut author Jordan Ifueko has crafted a mesmerizing fantasy tale. Although intended for ages 12+, the elegance and depth of the writing speaks to all ages. Ifueko infuses the narrative with West African traditions and mythologies that come from her Nigerian roots. The main character, Tarisai (whose name means Behold What Is Coming) is a young girl raised without the ...more

• Thorn
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • Clap When You Land
  • Break the Fall
  • Lucky Caller
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • Are You Watching?
  • The Vanishing Trick
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • The Last Paper Crane
  • Red Hood
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • The Stars We Steal