Start by marking “Deeplight” as Want to Read:

Deeplight

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea meets Frankenstein in Frances Hardinge’s latest fantasy adventure

The gods are dead. Decades ago, they turned on one another and tore each other apart. Nobody knows why. But are they really gone forever? When 15-year-old Hark finds the still-beating heart of a terrifying deity, he risks everything to keep it out of the hands of
Expected publication: April 14th 2020 by Amulet Books (first published October 29th 2019)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 14, 2020
    **This is a galley copy giveaway**

The gods are

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 25 copies available, 1941 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 14 - Feb 13, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Deeplight, please sign up.
    Sara The U.K. edition comes out in October (ie now) and I believe the US edition comes out in April 2020.…moreThe U.K. edition comes out in October (ie now) and I believe the US edition comes out in April 2020. (less)

Start your review of Deeplight
    Paromjit
    Frances Hardinge gives us vividly vibrant world building in this spellbinding and magical fantasy adventure of gods, sea creatures, pirates and so much more. Myriad is an archipelago where the gods once reigned supreme through terror, fear, and the sheer force of their power until the cataclysm that resulted in their deaths. Since then, an industry has built up where 'godware' is keenly sought and scavenged for, these remnants and fragments of the gods command an obscene level of financial ...more
    Matthew
    Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is one of the best YA novels I’ve read in a long time, and will most likely secure a place in my top ten books of the year, and here’s why:

Hardinge is at her prime with this kind of world and writing; its fantasy in the best way. There is a fleshed out world which is dark and intriguing, the premise of the recent history of this world has set up a perfect culture to explore whilst reading - an archipelago called Myriad once terrorised by these gods from the depths of the waters around them
    Puck
    Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    "It is easy to love power, because power tells you it is majesty and beauty and greatness.”

Deeplight was one of my most anticipated fantasy-releases of 2019, and I'm so happy it didn't let me down. Frances Hardinge has written an exciting and dangerous sea-adventure, in which a young boy has to handle (deaf) smugglers, ancient Gods, and a toxic friendship in order to survive.

"Stories were ruthless creatures, and sometimes fattened themselves on bloody happenings."

The absolute highlight
    Renee Godding
    4.5/5 stars
    Catie
    3 1/2 stars

It's Frances Hardinge, so of course it's amazingly well written, but it's not my favorite of hers. For some reason, I just didn't connect with this one emotionally at all.
    Betsy
    Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: too-ya-to-review
    The other day I was hanging out with some friends when one of them, a young adult author, accused me of harboring an unholy dislike, nay, hatred of the young adult novel as a form. I pointed out that I have no problem with teen literature, I simply don’t truck with it myself. As far as I’m concerned, when it comes to books for youth, all titles stop at 6th grade. Of course, there is an exception to every rule. I may eschew the world of young adult books out of principal, but there is one author ...more
    Krystal
    Ok this is not my normal kettle of fish (haha see what I did there) but actually enjoyed it a lot!

It's weird!

There are monster-gods!

Lots of fish and fishy things!

OH! FISHY THINGS HA HA GET IT COZ EVERYONE IS UP TO SUSS.

Wow, look how well my brain works after all this science and sea. Sorry. I need some time to dry out.

Also, Jelt is a JERK.

***
    A day later ...

Okay, here I am to write a proper review for this highly unusual book!

Shall I give you the plot?
    Hark is a troubled young orphan being
    Emma
    Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    ‘You will find out who you are when your choices test you. In the end, we are what we do and what we allow to be done.’

4.5 stars for this tale of gods, sea monsters and heros. This was a wonderful coming of age tale with some deep questions asked about who we are and who we can or do become. If gods die, what are they replaced with in our hearts? Does fear feed faith? Hark,Selphin and Jelt were interesting and well fleshed out characters who grew, developed and changed through the story, not all
    Peregrine
    Mar 28, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
    [unholy screech]

In more coherent thoughts, I'm happy that we're finally getting another non-historical fantasy. Don't get me wrong, Hardinge's historical fantasy books are still good (A Skinful of Shadows was phenomenal) but I love her made-up worlds best.

(I just wish she'd return to the Fractured Realms sometime...)
    Amybibliophile
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arcs
    Thank you to Pan Macmillan for sending me an ARC for an honest review!

Deeplight follows the story of two long-time friends called Hark and Jelt who grew up together in the Shelter, which is an orphanage of sorts for parentless, abandoned children.
    Jelt has always taken charge of their survival, finding ominous ways to make money which are usually not strictly speaking above the law, and usually end in some sort of trouble for Hark.
    One day another one of Jelts operations to make money goes
    Pie
    Mar 28, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    NEW FRANCES HARDINGE WE ARE BLESSED
    Elvina Zafril
    Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Well I wasn't expecting that this book could be so good!

Deeplight set in a world of mystery and myth. It's really unique. I never thought that I'm liking this book so much. People in this world believe that there is something from the powerful Gods left behind at the bottom of the ocean. People are trying to find the things that the Gods left behind and make them as a trade. Some of the people are constantly trying to find the things.

To me the world building in Deeplight is perfect. The
    Ashley
    Oct 13, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    I will read anything by Hardinge! She is known for her amazing world building and character development & I am 100% here for this amazing sounding YA novel!
    Rhian Pritchard
    May I please just say that the first thing I love about this book is that the whole thing was inspired by one deaf girl writing to her favourite author to ask if she’d ever write a deaf character. That, in itself, encompasses pretty much everything I’ve ever loved about books, the people who read them, the people who write them, and everything else that brings stories into being. Which, enjoyably, is one of the main themes of the book. Oh Frances, you clever thing you.

This is the first book by
    Arielle Walker
    Frances Hardinge has the wildest, most wonderful imagination.

I've read a surprising number of her books so far (surprising only because they crept up on my, and suddenly it isn't a case of "here's a new authors I'm really enjoying" but more "here is a probably top favourite author whose books I've read nearly in their entirety over (close to) a decade) and Deeplight is probably among my favourites of them, somewhere just behind The Lie Tree and Gullstruck Island.

Deep-sea gods that breathe-in
    Noelia Alonso
    (4/10)

The premise was amazing but I didn't like the execution. I struggled throughout to keep my mind focused on the story and more often than not, I had to reread many parts because I hadn't paid attention the first time I read them - my mind kept wandering off. I also didn't connect with any of the characters which was a massive problem for me, and probably the reason preventing me from fully engaging with the story.
    The writing was good though and there were parts I liked but overall, this
    Lauren James
    [Gifted]
    I love love love Frances Hardinge. Her ideas are unique in every way, and she brings them to life in a way that's so unusual I can't even wrap my head around how she does it. This is probably my favourite of her books yet (I'm a sucker for ocean cryptids). Old gods and penniless scavengers and lost, ancient mythology and science combined. Wonderful.
    Sian // Books & Sunflowers
    Frances Hardinge is for me, one of those authors that you cannot escape hearing good things about. So when I saw the cover (yes, I’m sorry!) and read the blurb for ‘Deeplight’, I was instantly intrigued!

Deeplight is a unique story set in a world of mystery and myth. In this world, people believe there are remnants of the all-powerful Gods at the bottom of the ocean. As such, a lucrative and dangerous trade is born on the islands and people are constantly searching for pieces of ‘Godware’.

I did
    Vicki Antipodean Bookclub
    “Stories, stories. He had always been a storyteller, of sorts - eager to entertain, or win people over, or get something he wanted, or play the hero for a bit. Now other people’s stories were the treasures he prized. He was a storyteller for gods and heroes.”
    In Deeplight Frances Hardinge has essentially taken the contents of a rock pool and created a Pantheon of Sea Gods. They feed on human fear that bleeds down into the deep ocean where they live in the Undersea. The Hidden Lady has legs
    Amy Imogene Reads
    How am I only just now hearing of this?? Magic and gods and islands and seas??? LOVE.
    Gabriela Pop
    Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    3.75/5
    The more I think about this book, the more in awe I am even though it's been a while since I've finished it. I had heard people singing Hardinge's praise for ages and I became quickly intrigued by this particular story after hearing her speak at a conference earlier this year. That being said, I still wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book -neither before picking it up nor while actually reading it- so it was meant to blow my mind in one way or another.
    Hardinge weaves a complex
    sassafrass
    DAMN IT FRANCES YOU GOT ME AGAIN.

This book was honestly just paradise for me. It had everything. The unknowable majesty and terror of the sea, giant eldritch abominations worshipped as gods, exploration of divinity and what makes one a god or a monster, and of course: a female protag who takes absolutely no shit and saves humanity. This was also the first book I've ever read which featured sign language and hard of hearing characters as active protagonists who weren't miserable because they
    abi
    Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    it's really refreshing to read a standalone book that ties up everything by its end - maybe it all wraps up a little too perfectly, and happily, and easily, but... i just couldn't bear to give this book anything less than 5*. it's just that good.

hark is one of the most loveable protagonists i've read about in a while - it was so easy to be on his side. he's so eager and young and determined, and cares for his friends so deeply even when they don't deserve it. i loved his interactions with...
    Leonie Byrne
    Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fantasy
    Thank you to Netgalley, Frances Hardinge, and Pan Macmillan for my copy of Deeplight in exchange for an honest review. Synopsis: From the beautiful writing of Frances Hardinge comes a new fantasy novel. Deeplight is set on a series of islands which were once ruled by enormous gods, who lived under the sea. For years the people of the Myriad islands worshipped these gods, tried to please them and gave in to their whims. But when a great battle between the gods wipes them all out, the islanders ...more
    Annette
    Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: bookbox-books
    Of course I had already heard about Hardinge. I even have a book on my shelves already, even though I didn’t read it yet. But, thanks to the Book Box Club, this was my official introduction to her work and after reading this book I certainly hope that I manage to finish the Lie Tree before we have the official meeting in the club house.

Because the first thing that truly stood out was the atmosphere, partly created by the enchanting and mesmerising writing style. Within a few chapters Hardinge
    Eleanor Slater
    Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Well I wasn't expecting that... I read The Lie Tree back when it won the Costa and was completely underwhelmed by it. I didn't bother to read any of Frances Hardinge's backlist, didn't really give her another thought. And then this proof came along, and I thought why not? And boy am I glad I gave it a go! The world building in Deeplight is quite frankly perfect. The characters brilliantly real and nuanced. The plot tight and full of changes in current and tide. This book kept me reading til ...more
    Christina Reid
    Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Frances Hardinge is an auto-buy author for me so I was incredibly excited to finally get my hands on a copy of this - I know, going in to a new novel by this author that I can expect beautiful language and description, but other than that I can only expect the unexpected as each book is so original and different. The story is fresh and bizarre, with characters and imagery that will stick with you for a long time. I know that I will be thinking about this one for a while!
    HoneyAhmad
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    4.5! Another fab book from Hardinge. Truly one of my favourite writers
    katayoun Masoodi
    Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: ya, favorites, fantasy, ebook
    the usual amazing hardinge story telling
    Robin Stevens
    Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A stunningly well-imagined, smartly written feast of a fantasy novel. I adored this from start to finish, and I think it's my favourite of Frances's books to date. (12+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a published book without asking permission from me first, I will ask you to remove that use immediately. Thank you!*
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
    You Are Never Too...: Deeplight by Frances Hardinge - 30 Oct 2019 28 8 Dec 01, 2019 07:43AM

• The Deathless Girls
    • The Mercies
    • The Time of Green Magic
    • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
    • The Garden of Lost Secrets
    • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
    • Why You Should Read Children's Books, Even Though You Are So Old and Wise
    • The House Without Windows
    • Perfectly Preventable Deaths
    • Shadows of Winterspell
    • The Places I've Cried in Public
    • Wakenhyrst
    • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library #6)
    • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust, #2)
    • Starve Acre
    • The M Word
    • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
    • Invisible In A Bright Light
    Frances Hardinge spent her childhood in a huge, isolated old house in a small, strange village, and the two things inspired her to write strange, magical stories from an early age. She studied English at Oxford University and now lives in Oxford, England.
    “I’m glad we’re free, even if we do stupid things with the freedom sometimes. Maybe sometimes there isn’t a right thing to do. Maybe there’s just lots of wrong answers, and you have to pick one you can bear – something that doesn’t break who you are.” 3 likes
    “It would probably be better to have a ruler who didn’t sell people or bend his own laws. For the moment, however, this man was perhaps just the best of the wrong answers available.” 1 likes