Start by marking “The Reason for the Seasons” as Want to Read:
The Reason for the Seasons

The Reason for the Seasons

We all know there are four seasons in a year. But HOW do we know? Join intrepid young scientist-adventurer Joulia Copernicus on a journey around the world as she explains with humor and wit how we know what causes the seasons.

Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall -- we all have a favorite season. But what makes the seasons happen in the first place? Ellie Peterson's clear, concise
Published February 11th 2020 by Boyds Mills Press

To ask other readers questions about The Reason for the Seasons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reason for the Seasons

Start your review of The Reason for the Seasons
Bethany
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Conversational science that works for a wide range of ages. It's a thorough, comprehensible explanation of the seasons. I appreciate that it also includes parts of the world where there aren't four distinct seasons.

On the page spread with Earth's orbit labeled by month (the page after the one with the lengthening shadows--I wish there were page numbers), does December still show the northern hemisphere tilted toward the sun?
Maria Marshall
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first-person narrative, oversized book format, and bright, bold illustrations of this picture book really grab the reader's attention. Following the scientific process, the main character, child scientist extraordinaire - Joulia Copernicus - evaluates commonly held assumptions and with a touch of humor, disproves them. Eventually, Joulia gets to the bottom of the question of the seasons in an enjoyable and educational way. The text, while loaded with information, when married with the lively ...more
Erin
The current trend of multiple text threads in a single picture book is really great in the sense that you can read one or both levels of information. The downside is that reading it cold can be very confusing. As a librarian I usually have time to preview my selections before reading aloud. As a parent, I am almost always diving into reading without any preparation.

So great information, explained in a scientific and understandable way. But I’m getting tired of the scattered presentation of text
Faith Pray
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Reason for the Seasons by Ellie Peterson is a fascinating nonfiction book about earth and seasons. Ellie Peterson is a middle school science teacher who is a gifted writer and illustrator as well. The text is engaging and informative, with informative back matter and an experiment at the end of the book. Peterson's illustrations have strong, playful lines, bright colors, and helpful diagrams that make the subject matter appealing to students of all ages.

Becca
Overall a great explanation of the seasons, although I felt it got a bit confusing in some parts going between the story and the factual information, and one spread in particular that was supposed to be read top of page to next top of page to bottom of first page to bottom of second page.
Effie
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Clear explanation of the science with humorous illustrations. Fills the bill.
Kelly
Very informative and interesting. Maybe just a little deep for children.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
A good look at common misconceptions about the seasons and explanation why they happen on Earth.
Adria Goetz
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every classroom needs this book!!
Bookish
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pretty sure my kids studied these concepts in 6th grade, but this explains it nicely for younger readers (and their parents).
Andréa
Apr 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Note: I received an F&G at ALA Midwinter 2020.
Michele Knott
This book tackles some of the false beliefs some people have about why we have seasons and replaces it with the science behind those ideas! Perfect book for studies about the Earth's patterns. ...more
Rebecca

• I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness
  • Severance
  • The Dinky Donkey
  • The Grinny Granny Donkey
  • Rot, the Cutest in the World!
  • The Arabic Quilt: An Immigrant Story