Start by marking “Creative Calling: Establish a Daily Practice, Infuse Your World with Meaning, and Succeed in Work + Life” as Want to Read:

Life isn’t about “finding” fulfillment and success – it’s about creating it. Why then has creativity been given a back seat in our culture?  No longer.

Creativity is a force inside every person that, when unleashed, transforms our lives and delivers vitality to everything we do. Establishing a creative practice is therefore our most valuable and urgent task - as importa

Published September 24th 2019 by Harper Business

To ask other readers questions about Creative Calling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Calling

Start your review of Creative Calling: Establish a Daily Practice, Infuse Your World with Meaning, and Succeed in Work + Life
Izzy
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully written invitation to your personal creativity. If you've been struggling to make sense of where and how your creativity fit in this world, this book might be for you. If you know that creativity is important but struggle to see yourself as a creative person, this book is for you. :)

What I was hoping for that it DIDN'T have was real, tangible juice to help bring my creative calling into actionable, daily practice other than, "Just do something, anything!" Which, I guess in
Julia Gifford
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Pretty cliché self-help. If you're already well-versed in personal productivity, motivation, and a get shit done mindset, this probably won't be particularly helpful. But for the rest, by all means, indulge yourselves.
Elizabeth
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
“A good life is designed. Created. And this book is about living a better life through creativity.”
– Chase Jarvis

Even since I went back to work after being a stay at home mom and I started struggling with making time for my creative interests, I have been searching for a book that both inspires me to pursue my creativity AND has practical and realistic advice for how to do it. THIS is that book.

Creative Calling not only inspires the reader to pursue their life’s calling, it actually provides va
Chris Logan
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Not bad if you need a pep talk or have never explored the idea. Not much of substance for anyone who’s read any of this kind of inspirational coaching stuff.
A.M.
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own, audiobook
Chase is one of those people who just infect you with their positivity; they can do anything… and so can you! But seriously, this is the guy who missed out on the Instagram thing… read it, he’ll tell you and dear god, that was one buy out you did not want to miss out on. [One billion dollars… can you imagine?]
But what he did was make Creative Live and I love that site. There are a lot of video course sites out there, but it is the best. And true to his beliefs, if you have internet but no money,
Teri Temme
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic inspiration! I am so thankful for Chase and everything he does for education and creativity.
Audra
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely needed to listen to this book at the time that I did. Chase Jarvis hits home! Just when I was feeling down and blue, I listened to this book. It gave me so much inspiration I started planning while listening to the book.

Chase told his story, the good the bad and the ugly. He is so relatable. He also told of how we can do better and keep going and learning our craft and that we don't have any excuses. Either we want to do it or we don't.

I feel like I need to say this, I hope this i
Preeti
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked this one. It is a great motivating resource for people who want to tap into their creative lives. The author talks a lot about his own experiences to illustrate his points. There are a lot of helpful tips and real talk about how to identify your creative calling and to really stick with it.
Jill Reads
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I want to gift this book to every Creative I know... to the writers, designers, illustrators, painters, developers, decorators, makers, bakers, photographers, marketers, product launchers and more.

If you loved Pressfield's "The War of Art," then this is your new manifesto for the new decade. It's part self-help, part how-to and part kick-in-the-ass.

"As your creative practices deepens and expands, you will experience a greater sense of direction over your own life. You will prove to yourse
Jethro
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book

At the end of the Book, Chase says he wrote this book for himself. That comes across in many ways. It’s not just a how to book. It also tells compelling stories that are directly tied to his work and what he has done for the last several years. I wouldn’t call myself creative before reading this book, but I call myself creative after reading it.
Marissa
Oct 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Really did not enjoy this, had to stop reading. Full of a lot of fluff about “follow your dream!”, “you’re so creative omg keep it up” and well, I just found it repetitive and too “motivational” without any substance.
JC Adams
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book has the same references to Steve Jobs, The Art of War and Michael Jordan that you would expect from any other self improvement book. It is a bit longer than it probably needs to be as well, but behind it is an awesome message and one that can be applied to more than just a creative calling.

The main idea being that creative work requires action. Jarvis provides poignant and funny insights and steps to make it happen. I found this useful as someone who wants to tap back into my creative
Scott Ginther
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Yesterday I completed Creative Calling by Chase Jarvis. He’s someone I’ve been following off and on for a couple years now. I originally stumbled across him on YouTube. I also listened to his podcast for a while. As happens with most things in this day and age, after consuming these for several months I tired of them and unsubscribed. Chase reentered my thoughts as he was doing his book tour. I can’t remember what podcast I was listening to but he was a guest. I was intrigued.

The book does a ni
J.P. Melanson
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Creative Calling, Chase puts forth the thesis that creativity as a practice is as important to our health and well-being as nutrition or exercise. Whether you a professional, a hobbyist, or an undercover creative - whether you even consider yourself creative at all - this book will broaden your perspective on how powerful creativity can be.

"Only by embracing your innate creativity will you begin to see the life you are truly capable of creating for yourself"

If you're not familiar with Chase,
Patrick Silveira
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Chase Jarvis is an exceptional creator and he shares some important and interesting tips on why creativity is important and how to keep it flowing. This book is inspiring and practical.
Marcel Comeau
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chase Jarvis’s Creating Calling is a must-read for any creative individual that’s looking for an in-depth look into what it takes to establish a better connection with your creative self and establish realistic practices to get the best results out of your creative efforts. Chase shares a lot of his experiences of how he approached in developing his craft as a professional photographer. He breaks down how he went about creating a photo editing and sharing application for smartphones when the mar ...more
Elzbieta Zdunek
Jul 26, 2020 rated it did not like it
A humblebrag disguised as an invitation to be creative. The hows, whats, steps and challenges are only an introduction to talk about author’s awesomeness, uniqueness and being the first. There is being proud of one’s achievements and there’s bragging. Even friend’s tragic death serves only to inform us that Chase Jarvis contributed to a Pulitzer-winning article. The book is a great example of self promotion: every single celebrity who wrote a praising review appears on the pages of this book as ...more
Daniel Carvalho
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't say this lightly: this is the best book I ever read in terms of changing my mindset and adding value.

I accept different opinions from other readers, but it fit my situation and needs simply perfectly.

Creativity is present in anything we do, and we all need to exercise it to be able to grow in every aspect of our lives. Chase shows us how to in an honest and brilliant way, without any of the BS we usually see in this kind of books.

I can't recommend this book enough, I would give 10 stars
Ryan Kirk
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a book I was pleasantly surprised by. I've read a number of books on business and creativity over the years, so it's pretty hard to impress me. I'm not sure if this book just caught me at the right time, but I really enjoyed it.

For me, the most useful part of the book was the section about designing a life around creativity. While it is in many ways similar to most productivity advice, the focus on creativity really drove home a few solid points for me.

Definitely recommended for individ
Robert Airhart II
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just go ahead and create your life.

Full of useful ideas and actions to take to nurture and grow your creativity. This book is useful to those who want to be better amateur artists, professional artists, entrepreneurs. Jarvis points the way to finding the creator in each of us and living out of it at whatever level fits your unique circumstances. Fundamentally it is a call to create your life precisely within the circumstances you have been dealt.
Vipin Baloni
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book amazing and thought provoking book by none other than Chase Jarvis. I can't share my gratitude enough towards Chase for writing this book. This is simply the best book that I have read in recent times regarding creativity. I can safely say that this book has definitely ignited a new kind of spark inside me and I hope I can also use my creativity to its optimum.

Thanks Chase Jarvis for writing this masterpiece.
Cheers
Vipin Baloni
Kirk Hanley
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very low-stress, inspiring look at how to be a more creative person and share that result with the world. Chase Jarvis encourages the reader to make mistakes, try things, and find one's voice, without putting your ego on the line. I would have liked a few more examples and concrete steps, but I found myself wanting to pick up some old projects as soon as I put the book down.
Lisa Archer
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great starting point

This should totally be required reading for everyone! Reading this makes me realize how much creativity can be found in the everyday stuff like cooking a meal and cleaning up a room. Absolutely wonderful,
Cody Caillet
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book. I think it would be a perfect read for a younger person getting started on his/her creative journey. In fact,I'm going to highly recommend it to my 14 year old aspiring musician.

Brian Berry
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book came into my life at at time when, as someone who has never considered myself to be "creative", I've been rethinking that state of mind. I am not a traditional "artist", but I am, in fact, quite creative. The book only reinforced that belief.
James Winestock
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A practical guide to creating. Whatever your project, from entrepreneur to visual artist, this book will help build a creative practice around it. I highly recommend it to anyone, even if you think you aren't creative (you would be wrong, you are creative!).
Ties
Aug 08, 2020 rated it liked it
A fine book on everything surrounding a creative calling, vocation or job. Can't really fault it in any way but it simply didn't strike me as great. Am torn between three and 4 stars, chose for 3 because I wouldn't really know if I should recommend this. Which means I don't.
Jessica Noel
Loved it! Reminiscent of:"The War of Art"
Kimberly Desouza
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. if you are good at reading between the lines, you can find value for many aspects of life not just what I would consider traditional art.
Elora Ramirez
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2019-reads
Absolutely a necessary read for anyone — not just those who consider themselves creative.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Creative Calling - combine/merge 2 9 Jul 11, 2020 12:33PM

• Stillness Is the Key
  • Everything Is Figureoutable
  • The Money Tree: A Story about Finding the Fortune in Your Own Backyard
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • The Infinite Game
  • Personality Isn't Permanent: Break Free from Self-Limiting Beliefs and Rewrite Your Story
  • Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything
  • Don't Keep Your Day Job: How to Turn Your Passion Into Your Career
  • Stories That Stick: How Storytelling Can Captivate Customers, Influence Audiences, and Transform Your Business
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • Limitless: Core Techniques to Improve Performance, Productivity, and Focus
  • Fair Play: A Game-Changing Solution for When You Have Too Much to Do (And More Life to Live)
  • The Soulful Art of Persuasion: The 11 Habits That Will Make Anyone a Master Influencer
  • Echoes of Memory
  • Start Finishing: How to Go from Idea to Done
  • Awareness: A de Mello Spirituality Conference in His Own Words

News & Interviews

“Put bluntly, too many of us spend years, even decades, in pursuit of someone else’s plan for our one precious life.” 1 likes
“It’s never very clear what you’re supposed to do instead—only that pursuing creativity is lofty, selfish, or even naive.” 1 likes