Start by marking “Creative Calling: Establish a Daily Practice, Infuse Your World with Meaning, and Succeed in Work + Life” as Want to Read:

Life isn’t about “finding” fulfillment and success – it’s about creating it. Why then has creativity been given a back seat in our culture? No longer.

Creativity is a force inside every person that, when unleashed, transforms our lives and delivers vitality to everything we do. Establishing a creative practice is therefore our most valuable and urgent task - as important

Published September 24th 2019 by Harper Business

To ask other readers questions about Creative Calling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Calling

Start your review of Creative Calling: Establish a Daily Practice, Infuse Your World with Meaning, and Succeed in Work + Life
Izzy
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully written invitation to your personal creativity. If you've been struggling to make sense of where and how your creativity fit in this world, this book might be for you. If you know that creativity is important but struggle to see yourself as a creative person, this book is for you. :)

What I was hoping for that it DIDN'T have was real, tangible juice to help bring my creative calling into actionable, daily practice other than, "Just do something, anything!" Which, I guess in
Elizabeth
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
“A good life is designed. Created. And this book is about living a better life through creativity.”
– Chase Jarvis

Even since I went back to work after being a stay at home mom and I started struggling with making time for my creative interests, I have been searching for a book that both inspires me to pursue my creativity AND has practical and realistic advice for how to do it. THIS is that book.

Creative Calling not only inspires the reader to pursue their life’s calling, it actually provides
A.M.
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own, audiobook
Chase is one of those people who just infect you with their positivity; they can do anything… and so can you! But seriously, this is the guy who missed out on the Instagram thing… read it, he’ll tell you and dear god, that was one buy out you did not want to miss out on. [One billion dollars… can you imagine?]
But what he did was make Creative Live and I love that site. There are a lot of video course sites out there, but it is the best. And true to his beliefs, if you have internet but no money,
Teri Temme
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic inspiration! I am so thankful for Chase and everything he does for education and creativity.
Audra
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely needed to listen to this book at the time that I did. Chase Jarvis hits home! Just when I was feeling down and blue, I listened to this book. It gave me so much inspiration I started planning while listening to the book.

Chase told his story, the good the bad and the ugly. He is so relatable. He also told of how we can do better and keep going and learning our craft and that we don't have any excuses. Either we want to do it or we don't.

I feel like I need to say this, I hope this
Julia
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Pretty cliché self-help. If you're already well-versed in personal productivity, motivation, and a get shit done mindset, this probably won't be particularly helpful. But for the rest, by all means, indulge yourselves.
Jethro
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book

At the end of the Book, Chase says he wrote this book for himself. That comes across in many ways. It’s not just a how to book. It also tells compelling stories that are directly tied to his work and what he has done for the last several years. I wouldn’t call myself creative before reading this book, but I call myself creative after reading it.
Chris Logan
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Not bad if you need a pep talk or have never explored the idea. Not much of substance for anyone who’s read any of this kind of inspirational coaching stuff.
J.P. Melanson
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Creative Calling, Chase puts forth the thesis that creativity as a practice is as important to our health and well-being as nutrition or exercise. Whether you a professional, a hobbyist, or an undercover creative - whether you even consider yourself creative at all - this book will broaden your perspective on how powerful creativity can be.

"Only by embracing your innate creativity will you begin to see the life you are truly capable of creating for yourself"

If you're not familiar with Chase,
Patrick Silveira
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Chase Jarvis is an exceptional creator and he shares some important and interesting tips on why creativity is important and how to keep it flowing. This book is inspiring and practical.
Marcel Comeau
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chase Jarvis’s Creating Calling is a must-read for any creative individual that’s looking for an in-depth look into what it takes to establish a better connection with your creative self and establish realistic practices to get the best results out of your creative efforts. Chase shares a lot of his experiences of how he approached in developing his craft as a professional photographer. He breaks down how he went about creating a photo editing and sharing application for smartphones when the ...more
Jill
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I want to gift this book to every Creative I know... to the writers, designers, illustrators, painters, developers, decorators, makers, bakers, photographers, marketers, product launchers and more.

If you loved Pressfield's "The War of Art," then this is your new manifesto for the new decade. It's part self-help, part how-to and part kick-in-the-ass.

"As your creative practices deepens and expands, you will experience a greater sense of direction over your own life. You will prove to
Ryan Kirk
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a book I was pleasantly surprised by. I've read a number of books on business and creativity over the years, so it's pretty hard to impress me. I'm not sure if this book just caught me at the right time, but I really enjoyed it.

For me, the most useful part of the book was the section about designing a life around creativity. While it is in many ways similar to most productivity advice, the focus on creativity really drove home a few solid points for me.

Definitely recommended for
Vipin Baloni
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book amazing and thought provoking book by none other than Chase Jarvis. I can't share my gratitude enough towards Chase for writing this book. This is simply the best book that I have read in recent times regarding creativity. I can safely say that this book has definitely ignited a new kind of spark inside me and I hope I can also use my creativity to its optimum.

Thanks Chase Jarvis for writing this masterpiece.
Cheers
Vipin Baloni
Robert Airhart II
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just go ahead and create your life.

Full of useful ideas and actions to take to nurture and grow your creativity. This book is useful to those who want to be better amateur artists, professional artists, entrepreneurs. Jarvis points the way to finding the creator in each of us and living out of it at whatever level fits your unique circumstances. Fundamentally it is a call to create your life precisely within the circumstances you have been dealt.
Kirk Hanley
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very low-stress, inspiring look at how to be a more creative person and share that result with the world. Chase Jarvis encourages the reader to make mistakes, try things, and find one's voice, without putting your ego on the line. I would have liked a few more examples and concrete steps, but I found myself wanting to pick up some old projects as soon as I put the book down.
Lisa Archer
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great starting point

This should totally be required reading for everyone! Reading this makes me realize how much creativity can be found in the everyday stuff like cooking a meal and cleaning up a room. Absolutely wonderful,
Brian Berry
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book came into my life at at time when, as someone who has never considered myself to be "creative", I've been rethinking that state of mind. I am not a traditional "artist", but I am, in fact, quite creative. The book only reinforced that belief.
Marissa
Oct 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Really did not enjoy this, had to stop reading. Full of a lot of fluff about “follow your dream!”, “you’re so creative omg keep it up” and well, I just found it repetitive and too “motivational” without any substance.
Cody Caillet
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book. I think it would be a perfect read for a younger person getting started on his/her creative journey. In fact,I'm going to highly recommend it to my 14 year old aspiring musician.

James Winestock
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A practical guide to creating. Whatever your project, from entrepreneur to visual artist, this book will help build a creative practice around it. I highly recommend it to anyone, even if you think you aren't creative (you would be wrong, you are creative!).
Elora Ramirez
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2019-reads
Absolutely a necessary read for anyone — not just those who consider themselves creative.
Aniaszafa
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am between 4 and 5 stars and giving 5. Maybe the book influenced me somehow :)
Jessica Noel
Loved it! Reminiscent of:"The War of Art"
Kimberly Desouza
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. if you are good at reading between the lines, you can find value for many aspects of life not just what I would consider traditional art.
Tracy
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5* I liked how the author organized his approach to creativity: imagine, design, execute, and amplify. It's grounded in positivity and mostly philosophical with some practical tips in the middle sections about designing and implementing your strategy for doing the work. Not a lot new in practical terms if you read a lot of productivity literature, I was honestly hoping for a bit more concrete information in this section. The author shares lots of stories from his own entrepreneurial hustling ...more
Dan
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think it helps to frame expectations properly to get the most out of this book. I had seen Chase deliver a half day talk on this topic, so perhaps my expectations were better aligned with the book than someone who came across this book cold.

This is a well written book, especially when one considers that this was his first book of this type. It's partly a love letter to creativity, partly an argument as to why he thinks creativity and creating are both trodden down in our culture and yet one of
Kaily
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Chattynatty
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A needed book in this time in my life. I think this book could be applicable to anyone, and everyone. For those with creative hobbies, professional careers in creative arts, and for humanity, which so needs creativity in what sometimes feels like dark/depressing times.

Chase Jarvis is humble, honest, genuine and really just wants to teach and promote creativity to all. He is honest about failure, and this was so refreshing from the "insta" feed we all get all the time with the "wins" not the
Chad Santos
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good read if you feel like you’re life is missing that extra something. He goes into detail on how to label yourself as a creator and how overcome whatever it is that’s stopping you from creating.

Would give 5 stars if he didn’t constantly throw his business in every few pages. Respect the hustle and the need to let people know of his company and it’s success/how it can help, but I think it would feel less like he’s selling something to me if it were toned down a bit.

• Stillness Is the Key
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • Don't Keep Your Day Job: How to Turn Your Passion Into Your Career
  • The Infinite Game
  • Stories That Stick: How Storytelling Can Captivate Customers, Influence Audiences, and Transform Your Business
  • Awareness: A de Mello Spirituality Conference in His Own Words
  • Reboot: Leadership and the Art of Growing Up
  • Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual
  • Tools and Weapons: The Promise and the Peril of the Digital Age
  • It's Not About You: A Brief Guide to a Meaningful Life
  • Welcoming the Unwelcome: Wholehearted Living in a Brokenhearted World
  • You Are Awesome: How to Navigate Change, Wrestle with Failure, and Live an Intentional Life
  • Loserthink: How Untrained Brains Are Ruining America
  • The Only Skill that Matters: The Proven Methodology to Read Faster, Remember More, and Become a SuperLearner
  • Consider This: Moments in My Writing Life after Which Everything Was Different
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
“Put bluntly, too many of us spend years, even decades, in pursuit of someone else’s plan for our one precious life.” 1 likes
“It’s never very clear what you’re supposed to do instead—only that pursuing creativity is lofty, selfish, or even naive.” 1 likes