Start by marking “La astronauta” as Want to Read:
La astronauta

La astronauta

Navidad, año 2067. Suena «Noche de paz» en los restos de una nave espacial que viaja a la deriva por el espacio. En su interior, la capitana May Knox se despierta de un coma y trata de ponerse en contacto con la Tierra. Parece ser la única superviviente de la desastrosa primera misión tripulada a Europa, una de las lunas de Júpiter, aunque no recuerda nada del accidente. L ...more
Published June 6th 2019 by PLAZA & JANES

To ask other readers questions about La astronauta, please sign up.
Karl as of 06/22/19 - The book is written under a pseudonym by a Hollywood writer-director with credits at Universal, Paramount, Sony, Fox, and Lionsgate, …moreas of 06/22/19 - The book is written under a pseudonym by a Hollywood writer-director with credits at Universal, Paramount, Sony, Fox, and Lionsgate, but the real identity of the author is not yet being revealed.(less)

Start your review of La astronauta
Emer (A Little Haze)
This was for the most part an enjoyable sci fi romp across the galaxy but I did have a few issues. To me the book tried to do too many things. It didn't know if it wanted to be a complex space set thriller or an action adventure or an analysis of marriage.

The strongest moments of this read for me were at the beginning when May woke up alone on her spaceship Hawking II and was as much in darkness about what had happened aboard as I was as the reader. The tension was palpable and I was incredibly
Olivia
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I requested Across the Void from Netgalley because I both liked the blurb and the cover. A wrecked spaceship, a lonely survivor, a hint of Gravity, and a faint memory of The Martian. It all sounded fantastic.

Sadly, I was somewhat disappointed. I'll talk about the negative things first and will end on a positive note, because, at the end, I enjoyed the read.

Across the Void crams too many things into a normal-sized book. Torn between being a thriller focusing on survival and a love story with a my
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Across the Void is a mash-up of both Gravity and The Martian. May commanded a pioneering mission to Europa, one of Jupiter's moons, but when she wakes up alone on a foundering spaceship, she believes the rest of the crew to be dead. Suffering from short-term amnesia, she can't remember what led her to this point, or why she has filed for divorce from her husband, Stephen, who is manning the NASA computers back on Earth. As May tries to get the spaceship back on course, she begins to suspect that ...more
Lena
6B1C4B75-1288-4CFD-A503-1DA8364AE28C.gif

Oh this was bad.

The way it was marketed I expected Interstellar, with a dash of 2010, and enough romance to bring me to tears. It was none of those things.

Maryann Knox is the most dislikable character of the year. Imagine Lorie Grimes filled with vitriol. Now make it worse, make her think she’s funny.

The humor fell flat, it was continuous, low, and grating. And I like British humor.

There was no redeeming hard science fiction.
(view spoiler)
Bookphenomena (Micky)
I straight up loved lots about this book which fit into a niche favourite genre I like to call ‘catastrophised sci-fi’. The book opened straight into an messed up situation that continued pretty much to the end. It was an angsty, thrilling ride with so much to it.

The protagonist was May, alone on her vessel after some kind of event that she didn’t recall due to illness and amnesia. Just her and AI, creepy, am I right? This is the kind of story where you don’t know who the bad guys are and it tak
Jocelyn
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-five, ebooks, arc-s
*3.5 stars*

Synopsis

May is the commander of the most monumental space flight in human history: the first manned expedition to Jupiter’s moon, Europa. Except something has gone terribly wrong. On the return journey, she wakes up alone in a stasis chamber aboard her ship only to discover she’s lost her memory, her crew is missing, and her ship has suffered catastrophic failures. It immediately becomes an intense game of survival, not only against the vast void of space, but against foes a bit
Kate
Very entertaining and exciting space disaster adventure, which would certainly appeal to anyone who enjoyed The Martian and Gravity. I loved May, the main character who faces extreme odds against survival, and Eve, the AI that she must lean on for technical and emotional support. There are some implausible elements (notably in the scenes set on Earth rather than in space, which is rather surprising) but it's such a fun read. Review to follow closer to publication on For Winter Nights. ...more
Tina
Thank you to NetGalley for the free e-book in exchange for a fair review.

I don’t like giving low-star reviews. As a writer myself, I would hate for someone to dislike my novel so much they didn’t find anything redeeming about it at all. But if I can’t bring myself to finish a novel, I can’t give it anything but 1 star unless it was clear the problem was entirely me (such as something triggering me or I was just not into the story).

Unfortunately, the reasons I stopped at 70% with Across the Voi
Lainy122
When you pick up a book set in the future about a spaceship being stranded further near a planet we have never sent a manned crew to before (nor are likely to in the immediate future), you go in with a willing suspension of disbelief. You accept that some facts might be stretched in order to fit the narrative, because if such things were possible we would be on our way to doing them right now in the present.
Having said that, the science in a '90's space Hollywood blockbuster is more accurate tha
Carlos
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars for this book. There are so many twists to this story that make you keep coming back that you barely noticed the length of the book. Astronaut lost in space, a dark conspiracy to keep her lost, a friendly AI, lost love and more that one mysterious stowaway ...This book has it all.
Ash | Wild Heart Reads
For a book that is supposed to be, in part, a gripping and thrilling mystery and high-stakes story. It was decidedly not in any way gripping. By page 50 it felt like I'd read 400 pages and not in a 'there's so much depth' here way, a 'oh god I've literally only read 50 pages can it be over' way.

I also don't see how we are supposed to be invested in the romance when they met, married and divorced all with in a year before the mission. And their meeting involved her running into him with her car
Brittany
Dec 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, sci-fi, thriller
S.J. Higbee
First, the good news. The first half of the book is riveting – that opening sequence where May surfaces on a failing ship, struggling to work out what is going on with a badly glitched AI and memory issues, worked extremely well. The science aspect was entirely believable and the character development and backstory were effective and well written. I was drawn into her life, despite not liking her very much.

I also liked the fact that May was black, with a successful black mother who had helped an
Liz Barnsley
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Across The Void is highly entertaining with some brilliant characters, Eve especially even though she is not human, this was a novel I devoured in short order enjoying every last moment.

If you enjoyed The Martian I imagine you will love Across The Void. This time its a lone female in peril in space, trapped on a ship that is falling apart with only the A.I. Eve to help her hold things together.

Cue an adventurous twisty tale interspersed with back story and conspiracy as May's husband determine
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
This sounded really good and wanted to enjoy this more than I did. The premise sounded like my thing completely but sadly I couldn’t connect with the characters, didn’t seem enough to hold my interest and the pacing had issues. Was so promising but sadly not for me

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest review
Shaitanah
Tyson Mueller
Aug 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A hackneyed piece of crap. The characters are both thin and inconsistently written. The instigating crisis makes no sense. It's full of lazy tropes--amnesia, grave-side funeral in the rain, and despite being set 50 years in the future every character smokes paper cigarettes, and hospital nurses use paper clipboards. And in a supposedly hard sci-fi narrative it frequently confuses velocity for acceleration, is confused about how gravity works and casually drops in faster than light communication, ...more
Елена Павлова
The first half was marketed last year and was WOW!
What a disappointment to see the book completely rewritten and void of all the wow that made the first draft such a great read. The complete book was, well, nice but nothing more.
I've had too big expectations, probably.
Kassmonroe
Jul 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible, thinly veiled Pro Life Nonsense

Spoilers ahead. There's no way in 2066 that a highly trained astronaut would make the decision to keep a baby in that dire situation. I know it's the future but how many months was it when it was born??? Like 4?
Evelyn
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-release, 2021
Actual rating: 4.5 stars!

Review on blog soon!
Simone
Kim
I stumbled upon Across the Void while looking for a book for my husband. I was intrigued by the storyline: a female astronaut waking up alone on a vessel in deep space, not sure what has happened to her crew or why she was in an induced coma. We later find out that her ship is in distress and that she may not survive unless she can get her ship in working order again and time is running out.

Across the Void is an exciting thriller that should appeal to fans of Andy Weir's The Martian. Even thoug
Michaela (Journey into Books)
*I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review*

I have been really into sci-fi recently and this book did not disappoint.
This story follows May who wakes up on a damaged ship in space with no memory of the last few months and no idea whether any of her crew is still alive. May with the help of her husband, Stephen, back on Earth must piece together her memories in order to find out what happened to her ship and find her way back h
Shalini | Book Rambler
If you liked The Martian,then I recommend this book to you.

Across the Void is about May,who is the only survivor on a spaceship and is trying to find her way back home with the help of an A.I. named Eve.

While trying to navigate her way back to Earth and determining what happened to the rest of her crew,she unearths a dark secret. Will May be able to go back home or will her body be left to perish in space ?

This sci-fi story wasn't my cup of tea but I think some will end up liking it . Thanks to
Celia
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2019-books
SF thriller that starts off ok and becomes increasingly ludicrous. (view spoiler) ...more
Patrícia
RATING: 2 stars

What a mess. Reads like a cheap sci-fi channel movie. :/
Helen French
Three stars for me which means I liked it, just didn't quite love it. The premise is great: May is awoken from a coma on a spaceship on the way back from the first manned mission to Jupiter's moon Europa.

The rest of the crew is missing. The ship's AI doesn't know what's happened. May can't remember anything since a few weeks before the expedition. The ship is low on power and they're way off course. First it's a battle just to stay alive and then... how is she going to get back home?

On Earth ex
Shijia
Jun 20, 2020 marked it as dnf-graveyard  ·  review of another edition
dnf @ pg 101

This book started off action-packed, but alas my joy was short-lived...

It quickly spiralled into info-dumps of mechanisms of the ship's engines and felt like the author was trying to show off how much he knows about technology. Also, S.K. Vaughn is a pseudonym for a hollywood screenwriter who apparently is critically acclaimed?? kill me now

The blurb promised 'The Martian' meets 'Gone Girl', but was seemed more like a rip-off of the film 'Gravity'. The MC is annoying and rude. The A
Gayle Noble
Spaceship Hawking II - Christmas Day, 2067. May Knox wakes from a coma to find she is the only person left alive following a disastrous space mission. Apart from the ship's AI, whom she names Eve, she is alone. Meanwhile her estranged husband, Stephen, is waiting for hear from May and he is perturbed to find out that those in charge are less than enthusiastic about her return. Both May and Stephen find themselves fighting for their lives.

The book moves back and forth through time, revealing bits
Penne Moschetti
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read The Martian and now this, I can't help but compare. Both stories are about the human spirit, endurance and ingenuity when confronted by impending death and disaster. Even though the reader had to suspend some credulity , in this book there was a lot and it was a bit cheesy at times (eg. her conversations with her AI)
I really enjoyed this book but the other was better.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: 978-0-7515-6822-6 4 14 Jul 23, 2019 08:54PM

• The Last Astronaut
  • Emily Eternal
  • Dahlia Black
  • Do You Dream of Terra-Two?
  • F.O.X.E.S. (S.T.A.G.S. #3)
  • Salvation Day
  • Invisible In A Bright Light
  • Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • La aventura de soñar despiertos
  • A Walk Between Stars
  • Algunas princesas no buscamos príncipe azul
  • D.O.G.S (S.T.A.G.S, #2)
  • All Our Shimmering Skies
  • The Capture (The Prey, #2)
  • Magic for Liars
  • Every Sky a Grave (The Ascendance Series, #1)
  • Re-Coil